PDA

View Full Version : Some Feats from Complete Adventurer

negative
07-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, I was reading through the Complete Adventurer book the other day (one of my favorite books), and as I read through the feat sections, I realized a number of the feats would be fairly simple to add into DDO. It also occurred to me that I don’t remember hearing about most, if any, of these feats being suggested before (at least in such an organize fashion), so hopefully I’m not repeating someone else’s post. I’m also going to skip the Monk MC feats, since Monk’s aren’t in game yet (such as the Ascetic line of feats).

Now, even bearing in mind that these all cost a precious feat, they may still be overpowered in DDO. But isn’t that what the forums are for, to debate things just like that? Anyways, here’s the list. Most are straight out of the book, without any changes, some, I’ve reworked to fit within the game system we have [green text]. Where I’ve removed text, I’ll also include the original text to aid in the debate [red text].

Brutal Throw
Benefit: You can add your Strength modifier (instead of your Dexterity modifier) to attack rolls with thrown weapons.
Special: A fighter may select this as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Devoted Inquisitor
Prerequisite: Smite evil, sneak attack.
Benefit: When you successfully use your sneak attack ability and your smite evil ability against the same foe in a single attack, you can potentially daze your foe. An opponent affected by both abilities must make a Will saving throw (DC 10 + ½ Character Level + CHA Mod) or be dazed for 6 seconds (as per the Daze Monster Spell). ***[[]]***

Devoted Performer
I’d like to include this feat, but since we can’t shift alignment, and therefore a Paladin/Bard MC is impossible, this feat is pointless.

Devoted Tracker
Prerequisite: [Track], Smite Evil, Wild Empathy.
Benefit: If you have levels in paladin and ranger, those levels stack for the purposes of determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability and determining the bonus for your wild empathy class feature. This feat does not allow additional daily uses of smite evil. ***[[[Removed portion that makes your mount also your animal companion, as well as the part that removes the restriction on MC with the two classes.]]]***

Dive For Cover
Prerequisite: Base Reflex save bonus +4.
Benefit: If you fail a Reflex saving throw, you can immediately attempt the saving throw again. You must take the second result, whether it succeeds or fails. ***[[[You become prone immediately after attempting the second roll]]]*** I’m not sure how to simulate being prone in DDO, but it needs something. Maybe being slowed for 6 seconds.

Extra Music
Prerequisite: Bardic Music
Benefit: You can use your bardic music four extra times per day.

Force of Personality
Prerequisite: CHA 13
Benefit: You add your Charisma modifier (instead of your Wisdom modifier) to Will saves ***[[[against mind-affecting spells and abilities.]]]***

Insightful Reflexes
Benefit:
You add your Intelligence modifier (instead of your Dexterity modifier) to Reflex saves.

Open Minded
Benefit: You immediately gain 5 skill points. Spend these skill points as normal. You cannot exceed the normal maximum ranks for your level in any skill.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you immediately gain another 5 skill points.

Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting
Prerequisite: STR 13, Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefit: When wielding a one-handed weapon in your off hand, you take penalties for fighting with two weapons as if you were wielding a light weapon in your off hand.

Power Throw
Prerequisite: STR 13, Brutal Throw, Power Attack.
Benefit: Power Attack now works with thrown weapon attacks.

Razing Strike
Prerequisite: Sneak attack, caster level 5th.
Benefit: You receive a separate Action Boost for each Spell Level you are capable of casting (separate boosts are provided for both Arcane and Divine Spell Levels). When activated, each boost lasts 20 seconds and costs 5*[Base SP Cost of Spell Level] SP. [I]Example: If using a 2nd Spell Level Boost, this would cost 5*[15] = 75 SP. You may only have one boost active at any time, and they share the same cooldown.

While the boost is in effect, you gain an insight bonus on your melee attack rolls and damage for 1 round. The bonus on attack rolls equals the Spell Level of the boost. The bonus on damage rolls is 1d6 points per Spell Level of the boost, plus any extra damage based on your sneak attack ability.

These bonuses apply against only one type of creature, depending on the boost used. Boosts based on Arcane spell casting levels apply against constructs; boosts based on Divine spell casting levels apply against undead.

This feat does not allow you to deliver critical hits or sneak attacks against constructs or undead.

***[[[The book versions involves sacrificing a single daily allotment of spells for a single attack. I felt that making it a 20 second boost and charging 5x the spell point cost of the spell worked better given the speed of DDO combat, and remained balanced.]]]***

Tactile Trapsmith
Benefit: You add your Dexterity bonus (rather than your Intelligence bonus) on all Search and Disable Device checks. ***[[[In addition, you receive no penalty on these checks for darkness or blindness.]]]***

Gimpster
07-04-2007, 03:36 PM
A lot of those are interesting feats, but they have some major implications because the needs of DDO characters are more focused in certain fields (combat), and because it's easier for them to get mega-high ability scores.

Remember 4 factors:
1. DDO is a real-time game. You cannot pause for the player to make a decision in the middle of being attacked.
2. With enhancements, DDO characters have a +3 to +5 on their prime ability score.
3. With less skills that are important, non-wizard DDO characters have less intelligence, meaning more points in their prime ability.
4. With less non-combat activities that are important, DDO characters are more able to focus on raising a few abilities.

Specific comments:
Brutal Throw, Power Throw- in PnP these are balanced because they only work on thrown weapons, which have a worse range increment than bows, so they still will be less accurate in typical usage, even though strength modifier is being applied to attack. DDO doesn't support range increment.

Devoted Inquisitor- the main PnP benefit is a relaxation of the paladin's anti-multiclass rule, which DDO has already granted for free. The remainder of the benefit is insufficient to be worth a feat, especially considering that Smite Evil is a relatively less-important part of a DDO paladin's repetoire.

Devoted Performer- it could be added to DDO as a feat which allows bards to have a lawful alignment. However, it shouldn't be. The prospect of a high-cha bard splashing two levels of paladin to add charisma to saving throws is overpowered. There's no need to make such silly dipping any easier. However, this feat could be acceptable if it required your bard and paladin levels to stay within +/-1 of each other (allowing split-classing but not splash-classing)

Dive For Cover- based on an immediate interrupt to being attacked, where the player is allowed to make an extra saving throw in exchange for the extra penalty of falling down. Immediate actions are hard to translate into a realtime game.

Force of Personality, Insightful Reflexes, and Tactile Trapsmith- All of these feats let you replace one ability modifier with another for a certain purpose. They would be relatively overpowered in the world of DDO, because as already explained, DDO characters find it easier to concentrate their resources in raising a single stat to extra-high levels.

Tactile Trapsmith- the effect of adding it would be to increase the difference between haves and have-nots in terms of rogue disabling ability. A regular rogue has intelligence 14-20 and dexerity 18-34, meaning the dexerity mod is often +10 above the intelligence mod. So rogues who take this feat are at around +10 on Search and Disable above those who don't. That difference is too big to allow one trap to prove a challenge for both characters with and without this feat- it would mean either Tactile Trapsmith = autosucceed, or non-Tactile Trapsmith = autofail.

Open Minded- this lets you spend a feat to buy skill points. Since DDO allows the respeccing of feats but not respeccing skills, this cannot be implemented now.

Oversized TWF- this should not be added to DDO, because of weapon changes DDO already made. DDO gave the khopesh a 3x crit mult, making it a one-handed non-light weapon with higher damage than any others. Thus, gaining the ability to have a non-light offhand without penalty would be more valuable in DDO than PnP.

TreknaQudane
07-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Dive For Cover
Prerequisite: Base Reflex save bonus +4.
Benefit: If you fail a Reflex saving throw, you can immediately attempt the saving throw again. You must take the second result, whether it succeeds or fails. ***[[[You become prone immediately after attempting the second roll]]]*** I’m not sure how to simulate being prone in DDO, but it needs something. Maybe being slowed for 6 seconds.

I like that one.. for the DDO equivalent I'd have it do a knockdown with an autosucceed to getting up, so it simulates going prone for cover.