PDA

View Full Version : Pk

Zorth
07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
I have heard some use the term PK to describe killing a monster. For those who don't know, PK means player killer or those who kill other players and take their loot. D and D does not have those, the game would be more fun if it did.

Desmodus
07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
LOL... *shakes head*

Pk=phantasmal killer, a insta kill spell for wizards and sorcs. Try doing research before coming in all condescendingly.

Thundercracker
07-04-2007, 02:08 PM
PK = Phantasmal Killer an arcane spell used to kill a mob

Arjen
07-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Where do you people come from? :eek:

Zorth
07-04-2007, 02:09 PM
oh, guess I am not a geek who knows it all.

Desmodus
07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
oh, my aching heart!

Personal attacks are not allowed. Do yourself a favor and go buy a drink.

narizue
07-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I have heard some use the term PK to describe killing a monster. For those who don't know, PK means player killer or those who kill other players and take their loot. D and D does not have those, the game would be more fun if it did.

Know it all, probably not.

I would say that traditional MMO PK(player kill) would not make this game more fun for me. This is a party based game. Not a stomp the other players into the ground grindfest.

Cavalier
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM

You sure as hell came across as just that in your post.

Desmodus
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
You sure as hell came across as just that in your post.

QFT

Lorien_the_First_One
07-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Where do you people come from? :eek:

I'd guess WOW

The_Cataclysm
07-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Wonder what he will say when he hears about people 'fingering' monsters. :)

narizue
07-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Wonder what he will see when he hears about people 'fingering' monsters. :)

ROFLMAO.

Too true.

Too true indeed.

"Yah man I just fingered that troll."

Ewwwwwww.

:D

iamsamoth0
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
ROFLMAO.

Too true.

Too true indeed.

"Yah man I just fingered that troll."

Ewwwwwww.

...to death.
MMmmm, fingered trolls.

MysticTheurge
07-04-2007, 09:05 PM

To be fair, I was pretty confused by "PK" for the first few weeks I heard it.

Lorien_the_First_One
07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
To be fair, I was pretty confused by "PK" for the first few weeks I heard it.

I played D&D on paper and never heard anyone call it PK so it confused me at first too... The funny part in this case however was him telling us we were using it incorrectly.

MysticTheurge
07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
The funny part in this case however was him telling us we were using it incorrectly.

Well, I'd always heard PK used the way he's described it here prior to my playing DDO. So I guess I'm saying this could very well have been me, if I'd just made the mistake of posting my thoughts at the time. ;)

The_Cataclysm
07-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, I'd always heard PK used the way he's described it here prior to my playing DDO. So I guess I'm saying this could very well have been me, if I'd just made the mistake of posting my thoughts at the time. ;)

And we would have been laughing at you instead. :)

MysticTheurge
07-04-2007, 09:49 PM
And we would have been laughing at you instead. :)

:p

Tavok
07-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I came from Runescape, and the term PK there meant player kill, and when I heard it in DDO terms, I assumed it meant "kill". So at least I knew part of what it meant :P

Cendaer
07-05-2007, 12:42 AM

Can I say it?

Huh?

Can I? Can I? Pleeeease!!!

Newbie!!! :p

Thanks for the chuckle though!

Must admit, I was relieved to see this was something funny, rather than a post detailing something that had gone terribly wrong with the Phantasmal Killer spell.

query
07-05-2007, 02:01 AM
(readies his magic item: Finger of Wagging not the same finger as Fingering...ewww, let's just move on :P)

Remember: DDO is a CROSSROADS of BOTH Pen And Paper and Massively Multiplayer (or Multiple) Online players.

BOTH sides are right and NEITHER should dump on the other. We should welcome each other in this great melting pot.

Or I'll finger your PK :D

(Thought I was going to be all preachy, eh?)

Still, the funniest thing I saw relating to this game was a person I sponsor recommended into our RP guild. Did our first RP chat night w him. He meant to summon a carrying items non-Tenser's named: Force Disk. He had a...umm...typo.

Replace the second word's s with a c.

We're still rolling on the floor over it.

So we're all DDO perverts here.

That we have in common.

Wow, one of my more overt kinkier ninja posts to date.

Balthazar_No_Oni
07-05-2007, 08:31 AM

Wow........

there really ISNT any PK (player killing) here without consent. So the term PK has no use whatsoever in DDO. The first time I heard it used was before PVP, so I knew it COULDNT mean what i thought it meant.

Player killing (PK) normally has a negative connotation to it in the games it is used because its normally 1 sided and sprung upon people. Games with dueling flags are NOT PK. PK originated with text based muds that had no real controls on who you attacked or where. Just consequenses thereof.

Cahira
07-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Well...there are ways you can kill other players in this game (w/o being in a PvP zone)...you just have to be more...creative. ;)

We have 2 clerics in our guild. One of them loves the Grease spell. So, when I found a clickie that did Grease 5x/rest, I gave it to him on the condition that he warn me before he used it.

(Note: this story took place before Freedom of Movement was made a player spell)

So, during our first ever Chains of Flame run, we got to the room with the spinny blade traps. While the thief was searching the room for the box, I got a tell from the Grease-loving cleric, "Step back." So, I did. He was bored and greased the floor...causing our other cleric to fall and slide into the spinny blade traps and die.

The Grease-loving cleric felt really bad about it...but the rest of us found it hilarious, even the cleric who died.

So, see? Creativity. :D

Balthazar_No_Oni
07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Well...there are ways you can kill other players in this game (w/o being in a PvP zone)...you just have to be more...creative. ;)

We have 2 clerics in our guild. One of them loves the Grease spell. So, when I found a clickie that did Grease 5x/rest, I gave it to him on the condition that he warn me before he used it.

(Note: this story took place before Freedom of Movement was made a player spell)

So, during our first ever Chains of Flame run, we got to the room with the spinny blade traps. While the thief was searching the room for the box, I got a tell from the Grease-loving cleric, "Step back." So, I did. He was bored and greased the floor...causing our other cleric to fall and slide into the spinny blade traps and die.

The Grease-loving cleric felt really bad about it...but the rest of us found it hilarious, even the cleric who died.

Thats more of an instance of griefing than PKing hehe.

Cendaer
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Thats more of an instance of griefing than PKing hehe.

Personally, I like casting grease on treasure chests. :D

Lorien_the_First_One
07-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Personally, I like casting grease on treasure chests. :D

A guild I enjoy questing with sometimes seems to have a grease fetish... I've seen them grease people into traps, off cliffs.... kinda funny as long as everyone is capped...

AEschyl
07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
my favorite spot to grease... extended... heightened... is on the bridge infront of velah...

or on the ledge of queen lailat's circle...

or on the air-traps in von 2

captain1
07-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I here new terms all the time in DDO:

picker
zerg
SC
POP
FW
cooking
PK
kite

you guys know what Im talking about.................

edit- apparently my post was edited for use of a 3 letter word that means ciggarrete and it was also used in that context and not the american use of the word...but whatever

When Im confused on the use of a word, abreviation I ask via tell to someone or post on the boards. Note that I said I ask.

Just like if I go to europe and someone offers me a ***, Im not going to assume hes hitting on me or questioning my sexuality.

I try not to assume what people mean when they same something I dont understand because I come off as foolish.

That being said, you shouldnt get upset and call someone a know it all geek if they correct/educate you on something you were wrong about.

Especially when you are wagging your finger at the community and telling us that because PK means something elsewhere that at cant mean something else here.

Lesson learned go have a ***.

edit- my post was edited I guess by the filter for inclusion of a word that means cigarette and used in that context not the american use of the word

Berjik
07-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Finger is a pkk!

Krow
07-08-2007, 06:06 AM
When I started playing way back when.......I would see people type "bio" in the chat. I couldn't figure out what it meant. I realized they were going afk.Then I learned it was to say usin the bathroom.
For months though before I learned its meaning I thought it meant "Be in and out".....meaning be back in a flash.
Who thought up this one though?.......Ok take a leak man, you don't have to give a scientific breakdown. Or why not just type afk? :rolleyes:

Uska
07-08-2007, 06:48 AM

this game would bite if it had that dnd has almost always used pk to mean phatasmal killer spell thats what those people were saying when kill monster dnd had the term before any other game. been using it for almost 30 years

Uska
07-08-2007, 06:49 AM
I played D&D on paper and never heard anyone call it PK so it confused me at first too... The funny part in this case however was him telling us we were using it incorrectly.

been using it that way since the 1st ed ad&d phb came out in 78:D

Uska
07-08-2007, 06:51 AM
To be fair I have heard both terms and know which one is which by the situation at the time.

Hvymetal
07-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Agreed if I wanted to play with the other type of PK (normally a 12 year old with severe self esteem issues) I'd be playing UO or one of the other games where that is rampant.

Ithrani
07-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Agreed if I wanted to play with the other type of PK (normally a 12 year old with severe self esteem issues) I'd be playing UO or one of the other games where that is rampant.

Amen to that brother. UO is a breeding ground for griefers. But was still a fun game back in the day.

boldarblood
07-08-2007, 06:40 PM
D and D does not have those, the game would be more fun if it did.

I would let my subscription expire if they allowed that.

Aspenor
07-08-2007, 07:12 PM

All I got to say to this is MT IS A NOOB!! :rolleyes:
just kidding, of course.
I am noobtastic. I won't even remind you guys how I originally thought spell resistance worked :o

moorewr
07-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd guess WOW

WoW, just WoW!

MysticTheurge
07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
All I got to say to this is MT IS A NOOB!! :rolleyes:

I've never denied it. ;) :p

LOUDRampart
07-08-2007, 10:07 PM
I came from Runescape, and the term PK there meant player kill, and when I heard it in DDO terms, I assumed it meant "kill". So at least I knew part of what it meant :P

It came from Runescape? We used it as a term in AOLNWN in '94. It may have been used before then as far as I know...

LOUDRampart
07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Amen to that brother. UO is a breeding ground for griefers. But was still a fun game back in the day.

UO was fun, but the PKers drove many away. Even the game designers admitted later that they rued the day they allowed for player killing...

Ithrani
07-08-2007, 11:19 PM
UO was fun, but the PKers drove many away. Even the game designers admitted later that they rued the day they allowed for player killing...

And thats why i thought trammel was a great idea but eventually they ruined all that felucca goodness thieves and PvP'ers could have. Damn AoS expansion.

moorewr
07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
It came from Runescape? We used it as a term in AOLNWN in '94. It may have been used before then as far as I know...

I recall PK and PL being used as terms for player killing as far back as 1991 on SIllyMUD. I love the post-ban message we'd get to when we "considered" a player (the DIKU version of challenge rating)..

> consider haplo
Would you like to borrow a cross and shovel?

Ah, those were the days...