PDA

View Full Version : How does Raid loot work?

FluffyDucky
07-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Killed the dragon for the first time last night (Yea!!!) An the end there was a big chest and a little chest. The little chest appeared to work normally but I could not figure out how the loot from the big chest was distributed.

People were talking about rolling for the loot and the leader deciding who got what and I ended up lost as to what I was supposed to do.

Can someone give me a 'dummy's guide' to how this works so I will know what they are talking about and what exactly I need to do the next time.

gorloch
07-04-2007, 08:46 AM
At the end of every raid except Tempest there is what is called a warded chest (the big chest with 2 stones by it). In this chest only two items drop (usually nice items that is the true loot everyone has come for) which means only two members of the party leaves with these items. Every guild/party has their own ways of dividing this but one way seems to happen more than other is to roll on it. You rolld usually a d100 (other amounts are possibile) by typing /d100 if you want a particular item that is in the chest. It is courtesy to only roll on items that will best benefit your character but not everyone has this courtesy. The highest rolls get that particular item. You repeat for the second item. The best way to avoid confusion is to ask at the beginning of the raid what the raid loot rules are and how the rolls are to be made. Hope this helps.

PIXA

FluffyDucky
07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Sorry to be so obtuse but

When you roll for an item does it automatically go to the person with the highest roll or does the leader look at the rolls and then give the item out.

If it is an automatic process how do you enter what item you are rolling for.

If the leader gives the items out how is this done.

Roguewiz
07-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Sorry to be so obtuse but

When you roll for an item does it automatically go to the person with the highest roll or does the leader look at the rolls and then give the item out.

If it is an automatic process how do you enter what item you are rolling for.

If the leader gives the items out how is this done.

It depends on the process. There is no set way in stone. The raid leader could by all means, loot both stones, loot both items, and Finish Out.

Usually, the rolls are Need-Before-Greed. If the item is an upgrade, that you will use, then you /d100 for it.

If the leader hands stuff out, one would think that he takes tells for the items, then decides from there who would benefit the most from the item. I find this way, the worst way possible. I've seen this process tear guilds apart because of the biased nature of people.

FluffyDucky
07-04-2007, 09:31 AM
So if I understand correctly the leader gets to decide who picks up the stones and whoever picks up a stone can get one item from the chest.

Is each stone tied to a specific item or is it just assumed you will take the item you 'won'. (I am guessing the later.)

From a game mechanic how does the leader give out the stones. Does he pick them up and use the trade window to give them out or is there some special control box appear that the leader sees.

tihocan
07-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Just to make things clear, in all PUGs I've been in, you were allowed to roll only for one item.
So you peek into the big chest, look at the two items, decide which one is best for you. Then you pay attention to voice chat / party chat as often the party will divide in two groups (each group rolling for one particular item). When the roll for your item is announced, type /roll 1d100. If you get the highest roll, the party leader will give you a glyph of warding (through trade window), and you can loot the item you rolled for from the chest (make sure you pick the correct one as otherwise you'll have lots of angry people after you).

Roguewiz
07-04-2007, 09:40 AM
So if I understand correctly the leader gets to decide who picks up the stones and whoever picks up a stone can get one item from the chest.

Is each stone tied to a specific item or is it just assumed you will take the item you 'won'. (I am guessing the later.)

From a game mechanic how does the leader give out the stones. Does he pick them up and use the trade window to give them out or is there some special control box appear that the leader sees.

Correct, the stones are not tied to a specific item.

FluffyDucky
07-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. I've got it now.

Gimpster
07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. I've got it now.
It is officially up to the raid leader to distribute the items however you want. Most people will use a random /roll command in some way, but if you have a concern about that, be sure to ask before you start.

If it turns out they were a core-group sponsoring a run to specifically get a Sword of Shadows for their one new tank, you won't have any way to contest that.

Note that it's possible for the leader to put the raid into random-loot mode before you start, which means the Glyphs of Warding are randomly assigned to two players, instead of both being assigned to the leader. Nobody really uses that mode, especially because it raises the possibility of losing loot if one of the assigned players isn't there for some reason (disconnected, fell off the quest, recalled immediately, whatever). In the default mode where the Glyphs belong to the leader, he can reassign them from outside the mission by promoting someone else to leader.