PDA

View Full Version : multi-class paladin for solo question?

randallflagg
07-03-2007, 04:15 AM
I am building a Pali for mostly solo content.

I am a lvl 3 paladin right now with the coveted immunities. But, now I find it annoying that I cannot even dissable the lvl 1 traps or find secret doors.

Would it be out of the question to add 1 lvl of rogue now, then return to pali?
Should I add a lvl of soc so as to increase int?

I am not looking to build the perfect charactor for added high lvl raids and such, just a viable charactor to cruise thru solo quests when I dont feel like grouping or dont have the time!

Any suggestions would help. THX

Camaron
07-03-2007, 06:52 AM
One of the more used character builds would be 2 levels of rogue for evasion, though you would have to have higher dex (20 or so) to use light armor. This way, you can put points into DD and OL for rogue abilities as well as find a detect secret doors clickie to find secret doors, otherwise you'll have to put points into search and spot.

Uska
07-03-2007, 08:29 AM
You would be better off to reroll if wanted to do that as its always better to take rogue as your first lvl as you get more skill points that way. paly rogue is one of the better combos though

Dariun
07-03-2007, 08:46 AM
You can make a paladin/rogue character, but you really must take rogue as level 1 when you do it as you get a ton of skill points that way.

I would not do it at level 4. You will not be able to get search, open lock, and disable device high enough to help your character.

You can find clickies to "detect secret doors" and as a paladin you can heal yourself from trap damage, so you can work around those two problems.

Not much you can do about the locks, but they shouldn't stop you from completing most (all?) quests.

BTW, if you do want to make a more multipurpose solo character, you can either make a rogue/paladin or rogue/paladin/fighter.

Here is one I made. You can mix in as many rogue/paladin and/or fighter levels as you like. I was originally planning 4 rogue/2 paladin/6 fighter, but now that I'm level 6 (2 rogue/2 paladin/2 fighter), I'm considering going with 5 rogue/3 paladin/4 fighter to get the paladin immunities and some extra rogue skills. I also took the repeating light crossbow feat to give him some ranged firepower (I took *light* instead of *heavy* because my other characters had found a few good light repeating crossbows -- I would take heavy repeating crossbow otherwise).

You must take level 1 rogue and you must take Weapon finesse at either level 3 or level 2 if you take fighter at level 2. Since it is a weapon finesse fighter, your weapon options will be limited (rapier, short sword, dagger, light mace, kukri, etc.)

If you don't have Drow unlocked, you might want to wait until you do, as Drow really helps this build.

These types of multiclass characters are easy to mess up though, so spend some time reading up on them and make sure you have a good plan before you put too much time into one.

Drow rogue/paladin/fighter

STR 12
DEX 17
CON 10
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 16

Skills to focus on: UMD, disable device, search, spot, open lock

You have to mix in a rogue level every 2 or 3 levels to keep these 5 skills at a high level. Open Lock and Disable Device are the two skills it is OK to be missing a point or two on (if you have good thieves tools). Search and Spot need to be maxed.

UMD is up to you. You can leave it out entirely. If you don't want to focus on UMD, you could drop CHA to 14 and put 2 points into CON or STR.

To benefit from evasion (which you get with your 2nd rogue level), you'll need a mithril chain shirt or mithril breast plate, but you can still wear plate mail for early levels and when you don't need evasion.

P.S. This character is weak compared to a pure paladin at the early levels but gets stronger around level 4-5.

tihocan
07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
In short: don't do it. This is the kind of build you need to plan from scratch.
For secret doors, buy some detect secret door clickies off the AH or broker (check the clothing, jewelry and robes).
For trap... you're a paladin, your saves and HPs should get you through :)

Roguewiz
07-03-2007, 09:58 AM
The biggest downfall of rerolling as a Paladin/Rogue, would be your loss in DPS. Going the route posted here, you would become a finesse paladin. Finesse paladins are difficult to do, mainly because you have nothing to increase your damage due to low strength. Rogues have the benefit of sneak attack to help offset their lower stength (for most rogues).

Despite what people say about taking Rogue at 1st level, it all really depends on what you want to do as a Rogue. If you actually want to use the Rogue skills, then by all means, re-roll and take Rogue at level 1.

If you really want to make a Paladin/Rogue, without the skills and such, do this.

Str 16
Dex 16
Con 10
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 16

Using this, you can go one of two directions.
1st Route: Place all attribute pts into str, to take your strength to 19, and go sword and board. You'd have to put two elf dex enhancements into Dex to get the full benefit of a Chain Shirt.

2nd Route: Place your 4th level attribute into dex. Go the route of a two-weapon paladin. Place the remaining pts into Str

Dariun
07-03-2007, 10:37 AM
The biggest downfall of rerolling as a Paladin/Rogue, would be your loss in DPS. Going the route posted here, you would become a finesse paladin. Finesse paladins are difficult to do, mainly because you have nothing to increase your damage due to low strength.

This is 100% correct.

The build idea I posted is more of a combat rogue than a melee paladin and would rely on weapon effects, debuffs, and stat damaging more than pure damage output.

Dariun
07-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Despite what people say about taking Rogue at 1st level, it all really depends on what you want to do as a Rogue.

Well, there is still a huge benefit to taking rogue at level 1 even if you don't care about "rogue skills" (i.e., you get 32 skill points to spend instead of 8).

You can get some points into jump, balance, tumble, listen, and spot, all of which have some use for a paladin.

rimble
07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I've enjoyed my Ranger/Rogue for soloing and getting to find all the content (secret doors, locked doors, locked chests, traps). It's probably more squishy than my Paladin, though. Requires a lot more 'tactical' combat--like fighting withdraws so I don't get surrounded, manual bow fights (step around corner, shoot, hide behind corner while I reload, repeat), aggroing bad guys then finding a good choke point (doorway) so only a few can fight me at a time, etc.

My Paladin is an awesome soloer too, but he just puts up Resists and plows through traps then wand heals on the other side. Just gotta move on when I find a locked chest or door, and never know about secret doors (which is actually kind of good, many of them have horrible bosses in them and I regret opening them, hehe, but I can't resist).

randallflagg
07-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. It was quick and helpful!