PDA

View Full Version : Monk??

OmnesScio
07-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry to nag about this, but can we have any updates on the progress of the monks? They're my favorte class from PnP and im really looking forward to seeing them on DDO...

Aesop
07-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I like Monks too :)

I wish they'd put in monks and the Asthetic Feats to go with them :)

I thought I saw a rumor that said Mod 6

around octoberish or something

Aesop

Kawiki
07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Well if my math is right and if Turbine sticks to their historical time between MODs/Updates it will be as late as December with the possibility of late November.

4.2 next week.
5.0 End of August
5.1 End of September.
5.2 Early November
6.0 Just before christmas.

sigtrent
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Never been a big monk fan myself. But I recently started a new game and made a Monk 1 Fighter 1 Rogue 3. Eventualy will have 6 monk levels. Very cool character.

At this point he's wearing mithral chain shirt and shield, wielding (whatever weapon seems decent). Has Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Initiative, Ascetic Rogue, Weapon Focus unarmed, (and the usual class abbilities). Getting combat reflexes and Extra Stunning? at 6.

Stunning blow + sneak attack + multiple attacks = very cool

TWF lets me throw off hand attacks with kicking or what have you while carrying a shield and another weapon. Light weapon seems best so I can throw a kick as the main attack and follow up wtih the weapon as off hand.

Eventualy I'll ditch the armor but not much reason to flurry and TWF at the same time unless the target is stunned and flanked. At that point I'll probably go with a Glave for reach and then kicking in close. At 10 I'll pick up improved disarm which should be fun. Come in, disarm, and then pick up whatever they are using and have proficiency. Not especialy powerful but awfuly fun.

BluePaladin24
07-02-2007, 08:55 PM
My primary character is a cleric. I am dreading Monk for some reasons. Yes it is a cool class. Yes it has the best damage potential of all classes in the game (provided that Turbine puts in an amulet of might fists, and monks belt). They have a lot of special abilities that other classes just don't have.

I assume that other clerics will know what I am talking about. We are talking about a character that does not wear armor, but can use it's dex and wis modifier for AC. I doubt that there are going to be many monks that poor everything into Wis and Dex. So basically we are talking about a low AC melee centered character. It will be like healing for a two weapon fighting Ranger.

I realize that I am going to be crucified for Heresy for these statments, but I had to say my piece

Gol
07-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I assume that other clerics will know what I am talking about. We are talking about a character that does not wear armor, but can use it's dex and wis modifier for AC. I doubt that there are going to be many monks that poor everything into Wis and Dex. So basically we are talking about a low AC melee centered character. It will be like healing for a two weapon fighting Ranger.

I realize that I am going to be crucified for Heresy for these statments, but I had to say my pieceI'm prefacing this with the fact that I have a level 14 Cleric and a level 14 Ranger.

My TWF Ranger has Evasion, 315 HP, and 48 AC. My Ranger/Monk combo I have in the works will have Evasion, 270 HP, 61 AC, and his worst save will be a +30 Will.

So yes, Heresy, and it's a well deserved accusation. Learn more about what you're talking about it before you spew a bunch of crud like that.

BluePaladin24
07-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm prefacing this with the fact that I have a level 14 Cleric and a level 14 Ranger.

My TWF Ranger has Evasion, 315 HP, and 48 AC. My Ranger/Monk combo I have in the works will have Evasion, 270 HP, 61 AC, and his worst save will be a +30 Will.

So yes, Heresy, and it's a well deserved accusation. Learn more about what you're talking about it before you spew a bunch of crud like that.

I am more than happy to admit if I am wrong on this one. I am curious though. what are you using for the calculations for your AC.

Vox
07-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Not 100% on all the numbers here but I pulled this from another member's post on our guild website.

Dex= 16 +6 Item +2 Tome +2 Racial (Elf) = 26 or +8 Mod
Wis = 16 +6 Item +2 Tome = 24 or +7 Mod

Now, that's not considering what the Classes bonus enhancement would be. Maybe in Wisdom, I'm not sure. Anyway, here's what your AC could look like:

10 Base
7 Armored Bracers
3 Class Level 15 Monk Bonus
8 Dex Bonus
7 Wisdom Bonus
2 Chaosguardes
3 Chattering Ring
2 Recitation
5 Barkskin
1 Haste
1 Dodge Feat
2/5 Defensive Fighting/Combat Expertise
7/9 Heavy Shield/Stormreaver Shield
Total: 58/63

I would point out that this includes a piece of raid loot that is moderately difficult to get, but does not include a deflection bonus from a protection item or Shield of Faith.

Vox

Gol
07-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Not 100% on all the numbers here but I pulled this from another member's post on our guild website.
<snip>
Wearing a shield negates your Monk Wisdom bonus (not to mention the Reaver shield has a max dex of +3 and the fact that you listed Armored Bracers and Chaosgardes), so you're still topping out at 49. The 60 I referenced is posted in the Ranger forum (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=111660). No need to speculate, go look at it. 60 is without Haste, without Recitation, no pocket Rangers, Bards, or Paladins. A simple self-cast Barkskin and a Shield clicky. With all that fluff, he hits 60 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 65 + whatever a bard can do. 68 if Monks end up getting Combat Expertise for free.

edit: Mistake in my original calculations, he hits 60 AC with 1 self-buff and 1 clicky, not 61.

Vox
07-03-2007, 01:42 AM
So... going for pure Monk..

AC
10 Base
12 Dex
07 Wisdom
01 Dodge
03 Monk Class AC Bonus (L15)
06 White Dragonscale Robe
02 Chaosgarde
03 Barkskin Pot
04 Protection
03 Titan Ring
02 Defensive Fighting
04 Shield Clicky
57 Total Standing AC, 48 with no Shield clicky, stance, or Titan Ring.
+1 Haste
+2 Recitation
+2 Rgr Bark
+1 Shield of Faith
+3 if monks get CE for free
66/55 Potential AC.

Any other suggestions for Pure Monk? Not that a Ranger/Monk or other Monk splashes are bad, I'm just a class purist most times, so will likely build a pure monk:)

Vox

Creadance
07-03-2007, 03:41 AM
So... going for pure Monk..

AC
10 Base
12 Dex
06 White Dragonscale Robe
01 Dodge
07 Wisdom
02 Chaosgarde
03 Barkskin Pot
04 Protection
03 Titan Ring
02 Defensive Fighting
04 Shield Clicky
54 Total Standing AC, 45 with no Shield clicky, stance, or Titan Ring.
+1 Haste
+2 Recitation
+2 Rgr Bark
+1 Shield of Faith
+3 if monks get CE for free
63/52 Potential AC.

Any other suggestions for Pure Monk? Not that a Ranger/Monk or other Monk splashes are bad, I'm just a class purist most times, so will likely build a pure monk:)

Vox

Voc you forgot +3 ac for monks class free ac every 5 levels
not to mention that class level should be 16 which gives them a SR of 26.
Monks get SR base level +10 at level 13

Vox
07-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Got it thank you for the point:) Anyone else?

Vox

BluePaladin24
07-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Sorry, just in my experience in PnP the monk is always getting knocked around.

Shaamis
07-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Monks are great for taking (and avoiding damage) but don't get the offensive capability until higher level.

That's why you don't see a lot of pure monks in games (PnP or other) around. People lose interest in a pure build by lvl 9, and look for a quick way out.

My Monk build always split Dex, Str, and Wis evenly, it's a rare case of NOT min-maxing one stat.

it will be interesting to see if the monks will be able to take advantage of the Drow or 32-point buy from gained favor.

Also, DDO needs to figure out how to implement the Q-Staff as a double weapon, before allowing Monks, that weapon is so integral to the Monk class, it's like Ftrs without axes.

Finally, the introduction of the Monk class will raise the bar on all of the Mob's ACs, and to-hits, because imagine a team of 4 monks, one cleric, and one rogue/wizard. The mob's wouldn't be able to hit anyone/anything when the monks are rolling with 50+ ACs.

Those are my questions I'll enjoy seeing answers to.

Sincerely,

Creadance
07-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Monks are great for taking (and avoiding damage) but don't get the offensive capability until higher level.

That's why you don't see a lot of pure monks in games (PnP or other) around. People lose interest in a pure build by lvl 9, and look for a quick way out.

My Monk build always split Dex, Str, and Wis evenly, it's a rare case of NOT min-maxing one stat.

it will be interesting to see if the monks will be able to take advantage of the Drow or 32-point buy from gained favor.

Also, DDO needs to figure out how to implement the Q-Staff as a double weapon, before allowing Monks, that weapon is so integral to the Monk class, it's like Ftrs without axes.

Finally, the introduction of the Monk class will raise the bar on all of the Mob's ACs, and to-hits, because imagine a team of 4 monks, one cleric, and one rogue/wizard. The mob's wouldn't be able to hit anyone/anything when the monks are rolling with 50+ ACs.

Those are my questions I'll enjoy seeing answers to.

Sincerely,

Where did you get that even if monks have a 65 ac at most of the 14th level dungeons mobs will still hit 65 most of the time.

bandyman1
07-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Where did you get that even if monks have a 65 ac at most of the 14th level dungeons mobs will still hit 65 most of the time.

Ummm....considering that Soj ( and others ) have done massive testing, and the general concensus seems to be that the to-hit mod. for mobs in GH elite seems to be around 40-55, how do you figure a roll of 10 is most of the time ( and that's only for the mobs with the highest to-hit )?