PDA

View Full Version : Bard's Fascinate Question

Zenix_Leviticus
07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Does your perform skill affect the difficulty of your fascinate or not?

I know my PnP buddies say it does, but this is DDO...

I was told that Fascinate DC was figured by:

Perform Skill + D20 roll

From the Bard forum I am seeing others say that perform doesn't have
anything to do with the DC of your fascinate. They say it is only to unlock
the different songs.

Which is correct for DDO?

Is fascinate and auto hit no save skill?

Ziggy
07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
as of right now. perform does not affect the DC, because there is no save.

I expect them to fix it sooner or later.

Freeman
07-02-2007, 01:36 PM
What, you don't trust my answer in the bard forum? Would I lie to you? I promise, my bluff skill isn't that high ;)

jaitee
07-02-2007, 01:37 PM
i dont think there will ever be a save for it, what are you going to do tear ur ears off? to not listen to my song? my perform skill alone is pass 50, 50 DC? lol + 1d20 dice roll :D

Freeman
07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
i dont think there will ever be a save for it, what are you going to do tear ur ears off? to not listen to my song? my perform skill alone is pass 50, 50 DC? lol + 1d20 dice roll :D

It really doesn't matter how high the DC is, since if there were a save involved, you always have a 5% chance of making a save on a natural 20.

jaitee
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
It really doesn't matter how high the DC is, since if there were a save involved, you always have a 5% chance of making a save on a natural 20.

thats why i think there shouldnt be a save, if there was a save, it would become like every boring spell

A_Sheep
07-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Bah, I really want there to be a save. I feel like I'm exploiting when I use it right now.

No way a lvl 1 Bard can fascinate a lvl 14 paladin (unless paladin rolls a 1). That is the problem. Equivalent level bard should still have very good odds at fascinating monsters/players of equivalent level, but it is potentially imbalancing for a character of significantly lower level to be able to crowd control like that.

I guess it's not really doing that in practice, because most people break all the fascinates, but whatever :-P.

Zenix_Leviticus
07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
What, you don't trust my answer in the bard forum? Would I lie to you? I promise, my bluff skill isn't that high ;)

Actually you made a lot of sense and I was just trying to see if others
thought/knew the same thing.

If you look at my signature you will see that I play 3 high level bards. The
fact that I did not know this makes me feel silly.

Freeman
07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Actually you made a lot of sense and I was just trying to see if others
thought/knew the same thing.

If you look at my signature you will see that I play 3 high level bards. The
fact that I did not know this makes me feel silly.

No worries, just teasing you a little. Everyone has those moments where they feel silly. The trick is not to let those moments stretch out into hours, days, weeks, months, years, or even entire lifetimes, as some people seem to do.(And they never get a chance to feel silly afterwards, either)

jaitee
07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Bah, I really want there to be a save. I feel like I'm exploiting when I use it right now.

No way a lvl 1 Bard can fascinate a lvl 14 paladin (unless paladin rolls a 1). That is the problem. Equivalent level bard should still have very good odds at fascinating monsters/players of equivalent level, but it is potentially imbalancing for a character of significantly lower level to be able to crowd control like that.

I guess it's not really doing that in practice, because most people break all the fascinates, but whatever :-P.

nuuu :D, this is only PVP tho, you have to listen to me play a song, if ur in range, if your outa range fasinate doesnt hit

Frodo_Lives
07-02-2007, 02:42 PM
If your perform skill does not effect the ability to fascinate (other than min ranks) then why the heck do bards want + items to their perform skill?

The more ranks you have in perform does not effect anything other than the min to gain new abilities. Seeing as most (if not all) bards have max ranks I don't see the benifit to having more than max ranks (items, feats, enhancements) in perform.

Freeman
07-02-2007, 02:46 PM
If your perform skill does not effect the ability to fascinate (other than min ranks) then why the heck do bards want + items to their perform skill?

The more ranks you have in perform does not effect anything other than the min to gain new abilities. Seeing as most (if not all) bards have max ranks I don't see the benifit to having more than max ranks (items, feats, enhancements) in perform.

Most of us just keep the highest one we've found in the event that it ever gets changed to work the way it is supposed to. That way, we won't have to worry about finding one later. I have one that sits in the bank, just in case.

Gimpster
07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
The only reason bards might want a +perform item is if they don't know it has no effect.

Zenix_Leviticus
07-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Just to think, I could have put those points into swim or repair or something..

:)

I am actually glad that I maxed perform and have an item. Just in case they 'fix' it to
be more like PnP.

What is funny, is that I have always kept and item and gwylan's blade around for when
I wanted to fascinate stuff on elite. <--- DOH!!!

Missing_Minds
07-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I think that the higher your preform, the larger area of effect you can hit with your fascinate.

It seems to be that way, but then it has been so long since my bard was a lowbie.

Merlask
07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
You know what I love about fasc save conversations? The billions of times I have to play fascinate to get it to work while my party is busy busting up my work. Doesn't matter how many times I explain it to them, how nicely or threateningly, it's always the case. Someone whirlwinds their way into the show or tosses out ye old firewall. I NEVER see them go so nutso around hypno, but fascinate?...

Caster: *casts hypno*
Party: *whiddles down mobs*

Varro: 'Fascinating them' *plays fascinate*
Party: *thump thump thump, whirlwind, cloudkill, firewall*
Varro: 'Okay..guess we WONT be assisting the tank' *sighs*

And what I really don't get is how I can TELL my party what is coming, and that is the result, but casters don't even say anything they just do their thing and party cooperates.

So yeah, at this stage of the game, I've got noooooooooooooooo problem with there not being a save involved. It's a mercy move on the part of the developers as far as I'm concerned, since I cannot imagine how much more annoying it would be to have both the players AND the game working against me at the same time -_-

Missing_Minds
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Merlask,

You mean you've actually got some fighters trained to know what hypno is? WOW... I didn't think they could learn anything honestly with the mentality that everything must be hit at least once. *grumble*

Let alone they NEVER, EVER give you a single chance to actually suggest anything with your songs.

Melee "hey, give us some crack."
Bard "Why?"
Melee "We kill faster."
Bard "Ok, I'll give you crack but then you won't get any songs, or healing."
Melee "What????!!!! Why would you be so stupid?!"
Bard "It is a little thing called tatics. You take less damage if I facinte everything first so you can kill each thing one at a time and you don't give the healer (in half time times, ME.) a heart attack trying to keep you up. So if I give you only haste, you should, by your thinking, be able to kill them faster than they could ever hurt you."
Melee "duh.... I kill things. Give me haste."
Bard *sighs, and later saves the party from a party wipe.... over and over and over.*

*later*

Melee "Hey, cleric, great job healing!" *hands over a few wands and plat for the effort."
Cleric "Any time buddy." *still has a mostly full mana bar, and is dual weapon welding.*
Bard *gets a box of rocks for end reward and is called a whiney player, although their mana bar is tapped and had to go through several neumonics and scrolls to keep the party up.*

Saddly.. this is no joke to those of you without bards. I see this happen over and over and over...

Lorein_Azura_Childs
07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Intelligence is usually a dump stat.

So just pretend they are all drooling retards. :)

Oh wait... I was suppose to talk about ddo.....

:)

Zenako
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Tell me about it...was getting Duergar Blackguards under the music in BAM when I turn around and see different people attacking more than one..sigh...Rez shrine down the hall to the right.....:rolleyes:

Most groups understand the buffing songs...cause (it lets them kill quicker) but very few have the tactical paitence to let us do our fascinate tricks. I would love to run around hasted and Displaced and Fascinate those nasty mobs, so we can tear them down 1 by 1, but too often everyone of them gets into melee too fast...sigh

narizue
07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Melee "Hey, cleric, great job healing!" *hands over a few wands and plat for the effort."
Cleric "Any time buddy." *still has a mostly full mana bar, and is dual weapon welding.*
Bard *gets a box of rocks for end reward and is called a whiney player, although their mana bar is tapped and had to go through several neumonics and scrolls to keep the party up.*

Sadly.. this is no joke to those of you without bards. I see this happen over and over and over...

And this is the reason I seldom play my bard outside of guild groups or with friends who understand what a bard brings to the party. Many folks are quick to tip the cleric without realizing that the bard kept them alive when either they zerged out of control and the cleric could not keep up, or the cleric just plain sucked.

Freeman
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Good: Fascinating a bunch of mobs before they reach the party.

Bad: Paladin runs through, hitting every single mob. Excuse: "I didn't see the fascinate effect, so I was trying to draw their aggro."(What, the fact that they stopped moving and were standing still, making it very easy to hit them as you ran through didn't give you a clue?)

Worse: The paladin that just completely ruined a perfectly good fascinate...is your wife. And she knows better. But sometimes you just have to suck it up and go on.

On another note, people, when you are taking care of the cleric, don't forget that bards often contribute a significant amount of resources also, usually with no compensation ever offered. I've had many similar runs, where people praised the cleric and gave them money, yet I was offered nothing, despite going through probably just as many heal scrolls and wands as the cleric did. I'm not saying the cleric didn't do a good job, but particularly in raids, there's only so much one cleric can do.

mocat
07-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Merlask,

You mean you've actually got some fighters trained to know what hypno is? WOW... I didn't think they could learn anything honestly with the mentality that everything must be hit at least once. *grumble*

Let alone they NEVER, EVER give you a single chance to actually suggest anything with your songs.

Melee "hey, give us some crack."
Bard "Why?"
Melee "We kill faster."
Bard "Ok, I'll give you crack but then you won't get any songs, or healing."
Melee "What????!!!! Why would you be so stupid?!"
Bard "It is a little thing called tatics. You take less damage if I facinte everything first so you can kill each thing one at a time and you don't give the healer (in half time times, ME.) a heart attack trying to keep you up. So if I give you only haste, you should, by your thinking, be able to kill them faster than they could ever hurt you."
Melee "duh.... I kill things. Give me haste."
Bard *sighs, and later saves the party from a party wipe.... over and over and over.*

*later*

Saddly.. this is no joke to those of you without bards. I see this happen over and over and over...

Oh so true.

Sadly soooooo true.

I'm lucky that I've found a guild that knows what bards do.

I don't have to tell them I'm fascinating, although usually I do. They just take the queue from each other which mob to pick on first, and then they focus on that one (or two if someone is tempted :p ).