PDA

View Full Version : Undead NOT taking double damage

wdbs84
07-02-2007, 06:59 AM
Me and my guild have noticed a major problem. Undead are sopposed to take double damage from fire/light spells. only they are not taking any double let alone extra damage from either!!!! spells like scorching ray, burning hands, fireball, and other spells similar are doing just normal red damage. this is something that seriously needs to be fixed considering that is one of the main powers of arcanes is to kill monsters with magic creatures and vunerable too. without that you might as well just make arcane spell caster nothing but a buffer.

if anyone else sees a problem withthe spell casting let me know.

oh yeah lets not forget about hte holy/rightousness weapons are also not doing any extra damage either, and that is the main action and reason for those.

mgoldb2
07-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Me and my guild have noticed a major problem. Undead are sopposed to take double damage from fire/light spells. only they are not taking any double let alone extra damage from either!!!! spells like scorching ray, burning hands, fireball, and other spells similar are doing just normal red damage. this is something that seriously needs to be fixed considering that is one of the main powers of arcanes is to kill monsters with magic creatures and vunerable too. without that you might as well just make arcane spell caster nothing but a buffer.

if anyone else sees a problem withthe spell casting let me know.

oh yeah lets not forget about hte holy/rightousness weapons are also not doing any extra damage either, and that is the main action and reason for those.

Where did you read undead suppose to take double damage from fire/light?

Looked up Undead in SRD sure no mention of it.

I know certain specific undead like vampire is weak against light.

I know firewall is a special case since it says double damage to undead in spell description.

But I don’t know of any general rule for undead and double damage to fire/light.

MysticTheurge
07-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Not all fire and light spells do extra damage vs. undead.

Wall of Fire does.

Searing Light does extra damage against undead who are vulnerable to sunlight (vampires and a few others), but not all of them.

I think those are the only ones, but I might be forgetting something. Either way, spells only do extra damage vs. undead if they specifically say they do.

Gennerik
07-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Undead Type: Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.
Features: An undead creature has the following features.
—12-sided Hit Dice.
—Base attack bonus equal to 1/2 total Hit Dice (as wizard).
—Good Will saves.
—Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
Traits: An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
—No Constitution score.
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
—Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
—Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
—Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
—Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
—Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
—Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
—Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
—Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
—Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
—Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Undead, unless it specifically says in their description, don't take any extra damage from fire or light spells or weapons.

bandyman1
07-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Mystic is right.

Also note that, although FW DOES do 2x dmg. to undead ( cast it on an undead mob vs. a non-undead one, and you'll see the difference ), the damage still shows as red, not purple, because the the nature of the spell does the double dmg NOT the fact that undead are especially vulnurible to fire.

Serverdown
07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
I think them (along with any mob) not having a concentration check in DDO is more of an issue than them not taking double damage. But thats been hashed and rehashed so many times it is pretty much a dead arguement.

Saranae
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
—Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

Interesting... so I should be able to cast resurrect on them and bring them back to life? :D

KristovK
07-02-2007, 12:19 PM
The fire/light damage issue has already been touched on, so I'll address the Rightous/Holy bit...

Holy doesn't do double damage or extra damage to undead, doesn't say it does, never said it did, don't know where you got that idea from. Works as advertised, 2d6 alignment damage on any evil aligned target. Key words...evil aligned, meaning it has no effect if the target is good aligned(rare for mobs, see below) or True/Chaotic/Lawful Neutral.

Rightous works as it says, +2 AB and +2 damage to any evil target, essentially making whatever weapon +2 enchantment better then it's 'base', whatever that might be. You won't see extra damage numbers because it's the straight base physical damage that gets bumped up +2, it's not an extra damage effect like elemental/alignment damage is. The actual wording is a bit misleading..any target with an overwhelming aura of evil...devs have stated it means ANY target with an evil alignment, which is generally everything in DDO except for animals and vermin and the mobs in Purge the Heretics(now don't you feel dirty killing NON-evil refugees?), although there are some non-evil Outsiders in the game currently as well(mephits and elementals, Holy doesn't work on these mobs but Pure Good does).

Ziggy
07-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Interesting... so I should be able to cast resurrect on them and bring them back to life? :D
technically? probably not.

You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dead) for no longer than one day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#savingThrows).

according to raise dead,

according to ressurection.

This spell functions like raise dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm), except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature. ......
The creature can have been dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dead) no longer than 10 years per caster level.

BluePaladin24
07-02-2007, 09:10 PM

Yes, raise the dead, so that their stinky, rotting butt can crawl around stormreach for the entertainment of all that see them. There could even be a former zombies anonymous. "Hello my name is Bob, and I use to be a zombie. It has been 3 weeks since I ate someones brain"

I know you were kidding. That did not stop me from trying it on wraiths and skeletons in Deleras Tomb though. Yeah go ahead and laugh at me, but only if had worked.