PDA

View Full Version : Bug Report: Healing Scrolls Working Odd

Ranmaru2
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
I have a build that I currently have a 6 Paladin/1 Cleric and try to use every sort of healing resource available to me to be a tank/support healer. However, I've noticed that when I try to use ANY sort of healing/divine scroll, it's trying to do a Caster level check. Cure Serious, Cure Critical, Cure Moderate, etc. my character has to roll a caster level to cast. As my character was built under the assumption that I would be able to use healing scrolls via Use Magical Device, shouldn't that be the way I'm casting scrolls? I'm going to have enough UMD at the end of the build where I can UMD a Heal scroll, but if I'm going to be hoping for a 20 caster level check, then I'm doomed to not ever using scrolls at all. I think there's an error here and we should be able to pick or have our higher level/UMD try on the scroll rather than a caster level check. IF this is working as intended, is there anything that could be done to perhaps change it to the UMD/Caster Level choice? The higher level scrolls I don't think I'll be able to use at all because the caster level check will be a successful 20 or higher. Please Devs, if I could get an opinion on this, it would be very much appreciated.

Mad_Bombardier
06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
You are doing a caster level check because scrolls require you to have the spell and you are not high enough level to have the spell.

4 Paladin = CLW
8 Paladin = CMW
14 Paladin = CSW

You can, however, use any wand for the above spells as wands only require character level and the eventual ability to cast the spell. Wands are much cheaper than scrolls, too. You can use Heal scrolls with a UMD or caster level check (whichever is higher success rate) at level 9.

Graal
06-29-2007, 10:58 AM
If a character can use UMD or a caster level check to activate a scroll the game chooses the method that gives you the best chance for success. The caster level check is generally easier for characters that are not focused on UMD if your character has the appropriate class levels.

If you don't believe this is happening report it as a bug. Include your character's class levels, total UMD skill and the scroll you are trying to activate.

Ranmaru2
06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I was trying to use a Cure Serious Wounds scroll and can get my UMD up to a 16 at this point. 6 Paladin/1 Cleric, 16 UMD, Cure Moderate/Cure Serious wounds scrolls. Even had a higher level bard, wizard, and cleric super buff me with Greater Hero, recitation, and everything else to get my UMD up and still the game was picking Caster Level checks over my (I think it got up to) 18 UMD.

Hedd
06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I was trying to use a Cure Serious Wounds scroll and can get my UMD up to a 16 at this point. 6 Paladin/1 Cleric, 16 UMD, Cure Moderate/Cure Serious wounds scrolls. Even had a higher level bard, wizard, and cleric super buff me with Greater Hero, recitation, and everything else to get my UMD up and still the game was picking Caster Level checks over my (I think it got up to) 18 UMD.

CSW is a 28 DC if I remember correctly meaning you'd have to roll a 10 or better. Being a 3rd level spell and you being a level 1 cleric you should the DC on the Caster level check should be lower unless for some reason its using your Pally CL

tihocan
06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
And what's the DC of a CSW scroll?
Edit: nm, been answered while I was typing

Ranmaru2
06-29-2007, 01:41 PM
10 or better via UMD, but the CL needs a 12 or 14 I think it was..Tried a cure critical to see what the result was..need a 16 or better versus a 14 or better via the 18 UMD.

Impaqt
06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Caster Level Check...

Cure Serious WOunds Scroll CL 5

Cleric L1(1x2 =2) + D20 >= Caster levelx2(5x2=10)

you would need to roll an 8 or better... Caster level Check give you the better chance at success.

UMD would need to be 20 to switch to UMD Check

EspyLacopa
06-29-2007, 02:32 PM

6 Paladin/1 Cleric, scroll of Cure Serious Wounds (Cleric CL5)

So. . .
Cleric CL check: d20+2, DC 10 (roll of 8+)
UMD: d20+UMD, DC 28

So, for it to use your UMD instead of the Cleric CL, you'd have to have enough to make the roll on a 7 or higher. 7+x=28: 21 UMD