PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic & FOD

Starrloom
06-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I would like to request that the metamagic feats of empower and maximize do not get applied to FOD - there is nothing more annoying then dropping a max/emp firewall and then FODing someone for 175 pt of mana (or something close)

The feats are not applied to PK and FOD is quite similar - I see no reason why they are applied.

Thanks.

tihocan
06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Agreed (and been mentioned a few times in here).

Alexander_Illusioni
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Agreed, and worth repeating until it gets changed, or acknowledged to be taken care of.

Aspenor
06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
agreed, fix it. like now.

Mad_Bombardier
06-28-2007, 10:13 AM
In lieu of customizable metamagic spellsets, the simple rule for applying metamagics should be: If it doesn't affect primary damage/effect, Metamagic should not apply.

Impaqt
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Same with Clerics Slay and Destruct... The meta's effect the Damage roll If the mob makes the save.... Stupid......

In Pnp we can choose (As a Free action) to enable a meta or not per spell.... The implementation of the metas here leave a lot to be desired....

I cant stand that Metas effect my Cure spells....... Ugh... 40point Cure light wouds really kill the spell points when Iforget to turn off Heighten..

The solution is an easy Concept... Programming might be a little bit challening...

Hot bar your Spell... Any meta magic youwant to apply to it you simple drag and drop on top of it.... So my Hold Person, i would drag my Heighten icon and drop it onto it... Bingo.. Heightened Hold Person.....

My Blade Barrier.. I may want one Maximized and one Standard.. I could have 2 hotbar BB Icons.. One Buffed.. One standard.....

Sure, eats up more hot bar spots.. But totally worth it if youa sk me.

Vinos
06-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Same with Clerics Slay and Destruct... The meta's effect the Damage roll If the mob makes the save.... Stupid......

In Pnp we can choose (As a Free action) to enable a meta or not per spell.... The implementation of the metas here leave a lot to be desired....

I cant stand that Metas effect my Cure spells....... Ugh... 40point Cure light wouds really kill the spell points when Iforget to turn off Heighten..

The solution is an easy Concept... Programming might be a little bit challening...

Hot bar your Spell... Any meta magic youwant to apply to it you simple drag and drop on top of it.... So my Hold Person, i would drag my Heighten icon and drop it onto it... Bingo.. Heightened Hold Person.....

My Blade Barrier.. I may want one Maximized and one Standard.. I could have 2 hotbar BB Icons.. One Buffed.. One standard.....

Sure, eats up more hot bar spots.. But totally worth it if youa sk me.

I don't think DDO needs to go that far. Screen space is already at a premium with all the hotbars folks have. But using common sense as to when metamagics are applied shouldn't be that hard. NO ONE is using maximize for the damage boost on FoD. Interestingly enough it doesn't affect PK so it makes me think this is a bug and not working as intended.

Gimpster
06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, no you can't. There are various alternate features and special feats or preparation that could let you act like you toggled metamagic as a free action, but in general that's not how it works in PnP. You have a time delay of anywhere from 6 seconds to 24 hours to toggle it.

Gennerik
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't think DDO needs to go that far. Screen space is already at a premium with all the hotbars folks have. But using common sense as to when metamagics are applied shouldn't be that hard. NO ONE is using maximize for the damage boost on FoD. Interestingly enough it doesn't affect PK so it makes me think this is a bug and not working as intended.

And technically it should go even further. You should be able to set metamagic'ed spells to a hotbar space. That way, you can set spells up with feats that are always on (such as healing with Empower Healing, or low-level spells with Heighten, etc). Then you can have different combinations of spells that are easy to get to. In addition, you should also be able to turn on your stance to overwrite a spell's normal feats that go with it. For instance, if you have all your normal Cure X Wounds spells to use Empower Healing and then the Heal spell set to normal, you could still turn on the Empower Healing stance to cast an Empowered Heal. Otherwise, you can keep it off and all your Cure spells will be cast still using the Empower Healing feat and Heal will be normal. You can also set all your buffs to be Extended without having to worry about turning Extend Spell on (or forgetting to turn it off) so when you cast all your crowd control spells, you don't waste SP.

This kind of simulates being able to prepare spells before hand with Metamagic feats and have them instantly on-hand, or being able to spend a little more time to cast it on the fly (since you have to switch to the stance then cast the spell). Normally, unless you have the Metamagic feat on already, by the time you switch stances it's already too late. This way we can prepare it a certain way, but still affect spells on the fly as well.

Vinos
06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
If you want 30 hotbars knock yourself out. I just want maximize to not apply to FoD and the like. Last thing I want is 2 or 3 slots for each spell on my hotbar. I don't need a slot for a reg firewall, a maximized firewall, an empowered firewall, an extended firewall, a maximized empowered firewall, a Maximized, extended firewall, an so on and so on.

Gennerik
06-28-2007, 11:08 PM
If you want 30 hotbars knock yourself out. I just want maximize to not apply to FoD and the like. Last thing I want is 2 or 3 slots for each spell on my hotbar. I don't need a slot for a reg firewall, a maximized firewall, an empowered firewall, an extended firewall, a maximized empowered firewall, a Maximized, extended firewall, an so on and so on.

That's why you keep it so that the current system overwrites the presets, but you can still preset feats to a spell as well. That way, you can set spells that you *always* cast with certain feats enabled (such as Haste being Extended, Firewall being Empowered or Maximized, Heal not being Empowered but your Cure spells all Empowered) to cast that way without having to switch stances. If you normally cast spells with Maximized Spell on, but have 2 or three often used spells that don't use it, you can set them to not use it and all the others to use it, and you don't have to worry about switching stances or having any additional spots on the hotbar taken up. Primarily, I'm thinking about Clerics, since I waste more SP casting Empowered Heal because otherwise people die while I'm fiddling around Empower Curing the squishies and regular Healing the tanks, constantly switching stances. Instead, I just keep it on, and waste the extra 7 SP each cast because it's cheaper than Raising someone. This way, you wouldn't have to do it, and it wouldn't take up any more slot on my hotbar (because I don't have more than 5 up on my screen at any given point).

Riggs
06-29-2007, 04:44 AM
signed