PDA

View Full Version : Blindness Immunity

Snike
06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Immunity doesn't help much when you still can't see through the black cloud, all it does is help with the -hits. Be nice if wearing a Blindness immunity item would "soften" the visual effects of those black clouds.

Vinos
06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
You might be able to change your graphic settings to compensate for that a bit.

Freeman
06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Are you talking about things like Darkness spells and such? Blindness immunity doesn't help against things that block your sight, like clouds. It only keeps you from being blinded.

Snike
06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Well turning up gamma only does so much and washes out everything else. Basicly when I'm in that cloud I'm chasing around a target circle I can barely make out... I just see the blindness immunity item as being pretty pointless in these cases.

Doesn't darkness blind you? Not only does it blind you(which you can get an item for), but it also Blinds you... heh. Not saying it should help with sight on all clouds but it should help with darkness.

samagee
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Immunity doesn't help much when you still can't see through the black cloud, all it does is help with the -hits. Be nice if wearing a Blindness immunity item would "soften" the visual effects of those black clouds.

That's where they spell true seeing and other spells come into play. Think about it, before you go suggesting stupid changes.

Snike
06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for being mature about it.

binnsr
06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Glitterdust is the biggest offender here. My character made his bloody save against it blinding me, but that doesn't help the poor sap behind the keyboard who's staring at a glowing white screen..

I could care less if I can't see through obscuring mist with my blindness-ward goggles on, I just don't want to have to make another eye appointment after the fighter-mages in Gwylans cast glitterdust on my character 4000 times..

Tanka
06-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Darkness is not a Blindness effect, nor is Obscuring Mist, they're both Concealment effects.

Blindness Ward helps against Glitterdust -- if you don't have it or make the save, you'll be blind. Granted, if you do have it/make the save...

It also helps in many Desert quests where the creatures like to cast Blindness on you, or have Blinding abilities.

*shrug*

Snike
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
My bad I thought I had seen the -Blinded- come up while swinging away in darkness before. Didn't know the kobald shaman in harbor cast glitterdust too.

binnsr
06-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Blindness Ward helps against Glitterdust -- if you don't have it or make the save, you'll be blind. Granted, if you do have it/make the save...

Your character may not be blind, but you most definately are. Whether you're wearing BW goggles or not, you have to move out of the glitterdust cloud to play effectively.

If my character makes his save vs. glitterdust, or is wearing an immunity item, I (the player) shouldn't be hampered by the cloud any longer.

Karethon
06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
My bad I thought I had seen the -Blinded- come up while swinging away in darkness before. Didn't know the kobald shaman in harbor cast glitterdust too.

I believe that the -Blinded- message is a generic response for when you miss because of concealment. I have seen -Blurry- and -Displaced- for those specific effects, but the clouds seem to return -Blinded-.

The best suggestion for the Obscuring Mist black cloud is to have someone cast a fire spell into it. That will generally cause it to dissipate.

HighJoe
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't know if anyone else still remembers, but at one point (I think it was around Mod 2) the Dev team had worked out the issue with "friendly" casters spells like obscuring mist, Cloud Kill, Hypnotic Sphere, Glitter Dust, etc... causing they're party members the same visual problems as a monsters spells would.

I understand a enemies casting of OM, CK, HP, GD, etc. SHOULD create a visual issue for the player at the keyboard, but a friendly casters should not. At one point in time, this problem was addressed by the Devs in the way of making the graphic display of "friendly" casters spells less... how do I describe it... less thick, for lack of a better word.

Keep the enemy casters spell graphics the way they are, (other then the fact that blindness immunity does NOT work correctly in regards to Glitter Dust in particular), but revisit the idea of reducing the visual impact our own party casters spells have on the party members.

Now, before the hate and discontent starts. I'll tell you right now, I haven't seen the latest and greatest of the rule sets for PnP. So there may be some grounds for "why" our party casters spells affect us the same way they should affect the monsters. In which case, I apologize for my lack of up to date knowledge.

Correction/Update: I found the actual post, detailing the graphic display change of friendly casters spells I mentioned. While this post was accurate at the time, the next module release reset the graphic display back to the post Mod 3 change.

Release Notes Module 3: The Demon Sands (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=71732)

The part I'm referring to is this:
"The cloud spells Acid Fog, Cloudkill, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Mind Fog, Obscuring Mist, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, and Solid Fog have had their FX altered slightly. Now, if you or an ally cast any of these spells you will see the particle effects only, and not the obstructive visual overlay. Cloud spells cast by enemy spellcasters will still display screen overlays on any target that didn't resist the spell."

Tanka
06-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Your character may not be blind, but you most definately are. Whether you're wearing BW goggles or not, you have to move out of the glitterdust cloud to play effectively.

If my character makes his save vs. glitterdust, or is wearing an immunity item, I (the player) shouldn't be hampered by the cloud any longer.
That was what I implied after the elipses. :p

DSL
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM

There is a huge difference between fighting/moving in the white-out effect of a Glitterdust and being blinded by a failed save inside it. Blindness immunity essentially keeps your eyes functioning normally, but things that interfere with line of sight, such as a thick fog or dancing motes of light, will still impede your sight (the glittering lights don't blind you, but they still drown out the background visuals).

I personally like the way DDO handles these things, as it makes for a fairly good simulation of what it would really be like. Having to maneuver and fight in these effects is definitely annoying (especially when enemy casters spam them out ad nauseam), but to a certain point it should be

wraith87
06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
In any of the cloud effects it should pop up with a -concealed- when you swing and miss. There's also a d100 roll if you pay attention to your dice at all.

Glitterdust will pop up with a -blinded- if you fail the save.

Missing_Minds
06-28-2007, 07:42 AM

I believe there *was* a point in the game when that was true actually. I remember back before the AH when my friend who had a pair of blindnessward goggles was telling me about that. However, such is not the case any more. Or at least should not be.

Kobolds casting glitterdust... Unless it is on hard, I don't recall that being in their standard list.

But I think you've been explained enough about why even if you have the goggles you still can't see Tim, Bob, or Anne.