PDA

View Full Version : Does Charisma do anything for wizards?

Relenthe
06-27-2007, 03:03 AM
I just made my first wizard yesterday and i put on 12 charisma, does that help me at all or did i waste 4 stats?

Ghoste
06-27-2007, 04:54 AM
If you're planning on putting a lot of points into umd or diplomacy, then it will give you a +2 to your skill checks. Not a big boost. In my opinion you want to put your skill points in concentration, heal (repair if warforged), diplomacy, and haggle,inthat order of priority. Also important if you plan to do much soloing is move silently (but not hide - that's what invis is for,and very few critters can see invisbility).

Citymorg
06-27-2007, 08:32 AM
If you're planning on putting a lot of points into umd or diplomacy, then it will give you a +2 to your skill checks. Not a big boost. In my opinion you want to put your skill points in concentration, heal (repair if warforged), diplomacy, and haggle,inthat order of priority. Also important if you plan to do much soloing is move silently (but not hide - that's what invis is for,and very few critters can see invisbility).

QFT

With all your skill points from high Int you could easily have put skill points in to raise your Diplomacy (good for shifting aggro off you), haggle (for getting better prices at the vendors), or UMD (good for UMD). IMHO, you waste 4 stat points, Wizards have little use for charisma, the same way they have little use for strength. There is no saving throw tied to that you are increasing, and if there is a time in combat you need to use a cha based skill, you may be in trouble anyway.

P.S.-There are plenty of perfectly good role playing reasons to have high a charaisma (think Gandolf being able to walk into a room and start ordering kings around). Short of that, there are limited practical uses in the game.

ccheath776
06-27-2007, 08:45 AM
I just made my first wizard yesterday and i put on 12 charisma, does that help me at all or did i waste 4 stats?

It helps with putting skill points into diplomacy. Beyond that not much. Maybe umd stuff.

Delzon
06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I think it's fine to put points into cha on a wiz. Several of my guildies have wizards with a high cha and can cast raise dead scrolls. One of them that I'm thinking of took a level of rogue first and with so many skill points from a high int can pick locks and traps as good as a 14th level rogue, umd cure serious wands, cast raise dead scrolls, heal scrolls, oh and can also cast wizard spells.

Harbinder
06-27-2007, 04:13 PM
With a +2 tome and +6 Charisma item you are sitting at 20 Charisma. Thats +5 to your Use Magic Device skill (you'll want UMD above 20 if possible at high end, just enough to equip race restricted items). If you are human a + 2 tome, +1 Human Adaptability enhancement, and +5 item = 20. Quite possible with 12 starting Cha + items at any rate.

Other ways Charisma might help your Wizard:

1. Better combat-based skills like Diplomacy.
2. Less prone to being Helpless due to attacks from certain monsters.
3. Long term: Gold pieces. Higher Haggle with Higher charisma, everything you buy and sell costs a fraction less. Not much but "A penny saved is a penny earned".

PurdueDave
06-27-2007, 04:43 PM

IMO, you wasted 4 stats. If you don't like it, nows the time to reroll.

Harbinder
06-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh yeah, what he said too.:rolleyes: