PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Damage To Items

Deathe
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Okay, c'mon. I'm sure this has been brought up before but I can't help but think it needs to be brought up again. To me this is a SERIOUS problem with the game. We quest, we save, we post, we trade, and at the end of the day we do all this for disposable gear. I have several of my favorite weapons in the bank right now that are for all practical reasons are unusable. It seems once a weapon takes a certain amount of damage it gets weaker taking damage more easily and more likely to incur permanent damage. There were rumors long ago that there would be a way to repair permanent damage and I had hoped that this would be addressed by now. With quite a few updates since the time when this rumor first surfaced and present there have been a number of updates without any way to repair an items durability. I should also mention that having earned the favor for Jaidene in Zawabi's, that broad messes up my equipment just as much as the other inept NPC's in the game.

The bottom line is that it's an unfair and flawed proposition to have players put so much effort into our toons gear and for all of our efforts just about everything we have is, in the big picture, only temporary.

- Dethe

Impaqt
06-26-2007, 05:28 PM
In over 8 months of game play, I've lost ONE item to Permanent Damage.... A Pair of Googles with 3 clicks of Haste....

Most of my Fav weapons have 2-5 points of Perm damage..... My Banishing Rapier is at 92(ANd I Traded for it with it at 92)

Its all part of the cycle.... If/When I lose a weapon to Permanent damage it will be a sad day indeed.. But instead of complaining, hopefully I'll have a new one to replace it with..... If not.... I'll continue trying to obtain a new one until I do.... Just like I did Before I had it.

ebt-dnd
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
You assume they don't want you to lose your gear, forcing you to spend more time in the game to get new items.

Deathe
06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
You assume they don't want you to lose your gear, forcing you to spend more time in the game to get new items.

I agree, I know the ploy. Kinda like cigarette companies putting chemicals in cigarettes so they burn faster so you have to buy more, part of my problem with this set up.

- Dethe

vyvy3369
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I should also mention that having earned the favor for Jaidene in Zawabi's, that broad messes up my equipment just as much as the other inept NPC's in the game.
It sounds like you need to test more then - I've been using her faithfully for months and can only recall a handful of times I've seen permanent damage result from her. I think the last time I took any at all was well over a month ago even, and I don't recall going anywhere near that long before getting FA favor.

Deathe
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
It sounds like you need to test more then - I've been using her faithfully for months and can only recall a handful of times I've seen permanent damage result from her. I think the last time I took any at all was well over a month ago even, and I don't recall going anywhere near that long before getting FA favor.

I can only say that that is not my experience at all having used her extensively.

- Dethe

Thrudh
06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
After a year, I've never lost an item to permanent damage... I have a +1 Holy mace that pretty much every one of my characters has used through Delera's.. It's at about 40%.. but still hasn't permanently broken...

I also repair often... if that means anything...

Deathe
06-26-2007, 06:04 PM
After a year, I've never lost an item to permanent damage... I have a +1 Holy mace that pretty much every one of my characters has used through Delera's.. It's at about 40%.. but still hasn't permanently broken...

I also repair often... if that means anything...

I repair after every quest. I also only use rapiers, shortswords, and daggers, all of which I believe are more susceptible to take damage.

- Dethe

Sani_Medicor
06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I repair after every quest. I also only use rapiers, shortswords, and daggers, all of which I believe are more susceptible to take damage.

- Dethe
I've definitely noticed that my rapiers seem to take permanent damage the most of any of my items!

HorridForm
06-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Everytime my wounding puncture rapiers take damage I cry, one is at 50% durability. I often use my short sword equivelents just to take some pain off em.

samagee
06-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I agree, I know the ploy. Kinda like cigarette companies putting chemicals in cigarettes so they burn faster so you have to buy more, part of my problem with this set up.

- Dethe

Ploy? In PnP games I like to use Mordenkainen's Disjunction on my opponents. You want to know what it is like to hear someone scream when they realize their awsome uber weapon is now a piece of masterwork metal? I can't wait till they put this spell in and I hope they implement it as is. By the way, this will do the same to all items a person has on them in the area of affect.

HighJoe
06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
If it's a multi-part quest like Eye of Kol-Koran/Co6, pray for the best. That quest in particular, I run out and do a repair (at the lady in the desert) after EoKK and then after all of Co6. Unless someone is running out to do a level up or something that gives me the time I need to do it mid-quest.

Repair often, that's the best we can do... for now.

Mad_Bombardier
06-27-2007, 10:53 AM
If it's a multi-part quest like Eye of Kol-Koran/Co6, pray for the best. That quest in particular, I run out and do a repair (at the lady in the desert) after EoKK and then after all of Co6. Unless someone is running out to do a level up or something that gives me the time I need to do it mid-quest.

Repair often, that's the best we can do... for now.Hi, HighJoe! Haven't seen you in-game recently. Check my sig for characters. /wave

HighJoe
06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I haven't been able to get on as much as I used to, what with the new job, the 4 hours travel time (2 hours each way) and my daughter getting older and more and more of a handful. lol But, I am still around. I'll be sure to add all your characters to the F-list. Be sure to check my own sig for any you don't have in your F-list. Thogar in particular is rather new.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Just be thankful Sunder was incorrectly implimented in DDO. In a sunder attempt as per D&D rules a strong fighter, especially with a large weapon, has a chance to destroy outright in a single blow any weapon you are weilding or any armor you are wearing (yes, say goodbye to that pretty vorpal or that shiny new suit of dragon scale plate in a single bad roll)

FoxOne
06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
as soon as a quest is over i repair,when it comes to quest chains,i have about 20 weapons in my pack,i just rotate them.I also spent 3 action points in item defense (didn't see anything more enticing for my last 3 & it got much better.Just my opinion.