PDA

View Full Version : Damage Reduction Numbers

BrettVe
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
How does damage reduction work, and how do they, or don't they stack?

If I have adamantine plating as a warforge, with 2 adamantine damage reduction: does that mean all damage delt to me is subtracted by two? Does that include spell effects?

As a barbarian I have a enhancement that gives me a temporary 6 damage reduction. That is not an adamantine reduction btw. Does that stack with my warforge armor reduction? Does this effect all damage including spells?

You see where I am going right? how does damage reduction work? What are the die rolls if any?

Also as a barbarian, I picked up that fire resist:
Barbarian Desert Lore I You gain energy resistance of 2 versus fire, or improve your existing resistance by 2.

How does that work as well?

Thanks.

Citymorg
06-25-2007, 11:16 AM
How does damage reduction work, and how do they, or don't they stack?

If I have adamantine plating as a warforge, with 2 adamantine damage reduction: does that mean all damage delt to me is subtracted by two? Does that include spell effects?

2 points of physical damage is stopped by your Adamantine DR, except when you are being attacked by a mob with an adamantine weapon. This applies to physical damage only and does apply to any spell or spell like ability. Dr /magic applies to stopping damage from all physical weapons except magic weapons (+1 or better) but has no effect on damage from spells.

As a barbarian I have a enhancement that gives me a temporary 6 damage reduction. That is not an adamantine reduction btw. Does that stack with my warforge armor reduction? Does this effect all damage including spells?

These do not stack. As a WF Barbarbarian you basically have to choose between Barbarian DR (which is DR/- meaning nothing bypasses it) or WF Adamantine DR (which is bypassed by Adamantine weapons). I have a WF Barbarian with 12 levels of Barb. He is able to take enhancements to get Barb 6 DR/- and only 5 DR/Adamantine. This is without any feats and max, relevent enhancments.

You see where I am going right? how does damage reduction work? What are the die rolls if any?

There is no roll for DR it just comes right off the top of any physical damage you take. DR stacking has been one of the least explained subjects, but best to assume it does not stack, certainly if it is not exactly the same type--even if it is the same type it still may not stack.

Also as a barbarian, I picked up that fire resist:
Barbarian Desert Lore I You gain energy resistance of 2 versus fire, or improve your existing resistance by 2.

How does that work as well?

It works well, in that you resist 2 pts of fire damage, but 2 pts of is hardly significant at low levels and completely useless against an 80pt fireball. The only reason I can see taking any of these enhancements is to fill in progression points to open other enhancements, but there are probably more useful things to take.
Thanks.

You're welcome--hope this helps

JayDubya
06-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Some of this you can answer for yourself, by looking at your character sheet in-game.

Counterintuitively, it lists all the things that work against your DR, which can be hard to process mentally.

In terms of your specific examples, unless it explicitely says that it stacks, DRs (such as Adamantine or Fire) don't stack. So if you have a 1/Adamantium shield and a 3/Adamantium Full Plate, you're at 3/Adamantium total.

Now, if you have axeblock (5 DR) adamantium ( 3DR) full plate, you'd have:

3 DR against non-slashing normal/magical weapons
5 DR against slashing normal/magical weapons
0 DR against non-slashing adamantium weapons
5 DR against slashing adamantium weapons
Normal disclaimers apply - your mileage may vary, offer not available in some states, do not taunt happy fun ball.

BrettVe
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
With the large wooden shield. It is not magical, or plus one shield or anything. It says 2 damage reduction.

But when I wear it, I do not see the damage reduction on my character sheet.

On my other WF char, I do see all the temp and permanent drs on the character sheet.

This leads me to believe that the shield is not providing any DR. Do I need to be blocking for the shield to provide damage reduction?

Also the two points of fire resistance doesn't seem too useful. Especially being the damage I take from fire seems to be big numbers. Except for that fire room in SDK. Are you telling me the fire reduction feat is useless? Is there no reason to get it? There are plenty of other enhancements that I would like to get. Is the cold or acid resist useful?

tihocan
06-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Do I need to be blocking for the shield to provide damage reduction?
Yes.

Also the two points of fire resistance doesn't seem too useful.
2 points are really useless. But they can be upgraded, and they stack with other fire resists (spell or items), that's when they can be useful.

Check also this page about DR: http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/DR