PDA

View Full Version : Do Negitive and Positive Items Stack

BrettVe
06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I understand that if I had two items that give a plus to an attribute, they do not stack.

What if i had the Brute's necklace, that gives minus one to will. and something that gives plus one to will. Will they stack and cancel each other out? Probably not, but I am curious.

tihocan
06-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes they will cancel out.

kendo
06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
so + and + do not stack, while

+ and - are added together to get a net modifier,

what happens with 2 negative item modifiers?? don't think I have ever worn 2 items with negatives.

do they take the highest negative penalty and apply that, just like they take the highest positive benefit? or are the negatives added together?

Mad_Bombardier
06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
what happens with 2 negative item modifiers?? don't think I have ever worn 2 items with negatives.

do they take the highest negative penalty and apply that, just like they take the highest positive benefit? or are the negatives added together?I'll have to put on a Reaver's Ring and Tharaak Fang and find out for you!

OKCRandy1
06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Cool question, would like to know answer as well.

Missing_Minds
06-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I understand that if I had two items that give a plus to an attribute, they do not stack.

What if i had the Brute's necklace, that gives minus one to will. and something that gives plus one to will. Will they stack and cancel each other out? Probably not, but I am curious.

They stack. I was using.. zizoo's spangle (???) for the +1 dex to cancel out the effect of -1 dex of linen handwraps. When you have a dex of 10 base, and no other slots free, that little bit helps out a lot.

HOWEVER, -1 dex from the handwraps does not stack with another -1 dex from something else. Same name, largest wins.

Borror0
06-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I'll have to put on a Reaver's Ring and Tharaak Fang and find out for you!

Negative Bonus are namless in DnD, so they always stack. This might ont be the case in DDO... but it should be..

tihocan
06-26-2007, 11:50 AM
According to D&D rules they should stack, but I remember someone claiming they didn't in DDO (that was a long while ago). I never tried it myself.

Mad_Bombardier
06-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Negative Bonus are namless in DnD, so they always stack. This might ont be the case in DDO... but it should be..

According to D&D rules they should stack, but I remember someone claiming they didn't in DDO (that was a long while ago). I never tried it myself.
Ok. I tested this immediately after my first post, then forgot to post the results. Silly me! :confused: :rolleyes: Drumroll please...

Negative stats do not stack in DDO! Tharaak Fang and Reaver Ring = -2 Will save. So, if you have one negative you might as well wear all of them. :D

ccheath776
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Important rule to know.

The highest + item is what counts.
If you have +6 dex gloves and +4 dex boots. The dex gloves win. Take off the boots. Opposite that. The highest negative item wins as well. If you have a -1 dex and a -2 dex item. The - 2 wins.

Now if you have a - and +. The same rule applies. THe highest dex item is effected by the lowest negative item.
Thus if you have a +5 str item and another item that gives a -str. The item is now only +4 not 5.

Sounds like a math course but ability items do not stack is the bottom line. Whether they are positive or negative.

kendo
06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok. I tested this immediately after my first post, then forgot to post the results. Silly me! :confused: :rolleyes: Drumroll please...

Negative stats do not stack in DDO! Tharaak Fang and Reaver Ring = -2 Will save. So, if you have one negative you might as well wear all of them. :D

thanks for testing this and posting the results. not that there are a lot of items giving negative modifiers to the same stat, that I would want to wear at the same time. but good to know I can do so with only 1 penalty.

Mad_Bombardier
06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
thanks for testing this and posting the results. not that there are a lot of items giving negative modifiers to the same stat, that I would want to wear at the same time. but good to know I can do so with only 1 penalty.To be fair, Missing Minds posted the same result with -1DEX items above my post. But, it's good to know. Once you have one penalty, pile on the similar negative items. :)

OKCRandy1
07-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the thread post and answers, interesting to note.

Missing_Minds
07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Just so you know. my double -1s came from the black lace blindfold and the linnen wraps. I just now remembered.