PDA

View Full Version : Devs Dragon scale drops a question ????

HAWK480AV
06-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Dear devs,

When mod 4 first arrived on average everyone in the party got at least one scale out of all 3 dragons.

Since 4.1 and the aoe changes with the increased scroll drop increase
scale drops are at an all time low.

many people I know have done 10 and even more quests with no scales.
And some groups i have been in have seen only a single scale drop out of the
3 dragons but tons of scrolls in the chests.
I was offerd as many as 6 in one chest last week and quite a few again this week more then once on my ranger !!!!!! lol

The Question is was this intentional????? or a side affect of the 4.1 changes???

While i can understand the dragon scale armor is very powerfull I dont belive
it should take 100 runs to make a suit of armor either.

as it is we have more dragons then mithrail veins in stormreach.

So in ending a reply would be nice from the devs weather this was intenional
or not and if it was't could you send it to qa to be looked at thx

Elfvyra
06-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Huh? I have 1 'toon who has killed 27 dragons now, without a single scale. That's 9 runs of the 3 Dragons. Another only has 3 runs, and has gotten 1 scale. 3 others just killed dragons once to get 'blooded', no scales between them. Between 4 and 4.1 I never saw anyone get the drop rate you say 'everyone' was getting on average. ;)

Lorien_the_First_One
06-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I seem to always pull at least 1 scale per Tor run and I'm told i'm lucky by those I run with. I've never been in a run where less then 3 scales in total were pulled by the group, but I've never been in a group where more than 6 were pulled. So... the scales are pretty rare. I haven't noticed any changes in drop rates since the Tor was first put in place.

Swordalot
06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
I've done the Tor twice, so I can't vouch too much.

First run, one of blue and black.
Gave away blue.
Second run, one white.
Traded for black.
Now have 3 blacks; 2 runs.
I'm ahead of the game, it seems.
For the record, in neither run did nobody get at least one scale. Several of use got two, one got two twice. Woohoo!

Tehran_Adinson
06-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I've seen scales from every run I've done in there. Usually 2 each run at the least and as many as 4 one time. Honestly though I don't understand why this is. I saw one guy get 3 scales in one run (one of each color) and yet nobody else got a scale. I understand its random.

We have collectibles that you get from clicking dead mobs. Tokens and all sorts of things to turn in. Why can't you guys place the scales on the dragons themselves? Killing a dragon and NOT getting a scale just seems ludicrous to me. Here we have a dragon that is dead...yet no scales? Am I that inept at sticking my dagger into a corpse and prying loose a scale?

We're looking at 25 runs of the same dungeon to get 1 piece of armor if you are lucky enough to pull the same color scale every single time. How many times do you guys want us to run the same quest to obtain this stuff? Honestly this quest is getting tiresome devs! At the rate of drops in here we're looking at more like running this quest 100 times in order to get 1 piece of armor....and that may actually be a low estimate. My last 6 runs I've gotten not one scale of any color.

Now granted we can trade scales to get the color we want/need. IMHO I would rather see them be bound collectibles off dead mobs...and hey...raise the number needed to 50 and I'm still going to be able to see the armor someday instead of wondering just how many times I'll have to run this in HOPES of ever getting it.

Luck should have nothing to do with dismembering a corpse for body parts!

darthuvius
06-25-2007, 02:17 AM
creating one quest that needs to be repeated 100 times is more profitable than creating 100 quests that need to be done once. the armor is pretty good, but really you could get the same effects from a few items i think. it does look pretty cool of course, but once you see a few people hanging around the gianthold tavern wearing the armor it begins to look less cool. if you were guaranteed a scale on every run that would mean you would only have to do 25 runs!. thats doable in a day for a few and a month for most. do you really want everyone to look exactly the same? did you think turbine did? of course not,

p.s ill accept your scales since you dont really need them after all.

cptcruch
06-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Why are the scales in a chest? How many Dragons do you know or read about that put their scales in chest!? The concept of searching the piles of gold for loot was nice............why not take the damn scales or lack of scales out of the chest and place them in the piles of gold..................everyone gets 1 scale per run per dragon!

Dragon scales in a chest, how stupid is that considering all that treasure is on the floor!

jaitee
06-25-2007, 06:53 AM
its not that bad, cheer up guys :p

Aspenor
06-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I *usually* get at least 1 scale per run, and if not I consider myself unlucky. I see a similar drop rate with my guildies.

HAWK480AV
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Some people dont have time to run everyday myself i can only do the weekends due to work.

yesterday my guild did the run and out of 3 chests only 1 scale dropped!
while right after that i spoke with another player who said hid group got 8
and 3 of those people got 2 each. errrrrr

All the while i was offerd 5 scrolls in one chest and the others got the same
if not a box of rocks to boot.

We need a system of scale drops that is more balanced.
maybe the system posted above makes more sense one scale looted
off the dragon or static in the chest makes alot more sense then
the RNG deciding that 3 go to this group and none for that group.

Lorien_the_First_One
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Why are the scales in a chest? How many Dragons do you know or read about that put their scales in chest!? The concept of searching the piles of gold for loot was nice............why not take the damn scales or lack of scales out of the chest and place them in the piles of gold..................everyone gets 1 scale per run per dragon!

Dragon scales in a chest, how stupid is that considering all that treasure is on the floor!

That's brilliant! Even if they don't change the drop rate the scales should be moved to the piles right away!

DKerrigan
06-25-2007, 06:01 PM
The last run I did with my rogue no one got scales and we did all 3...:(

artvan_delet
06-26-2007, 12:18 PM
First, I don't want to search all the gold piles for scales. All that junk in the gold piles needs to be removed from my inventory to keep searching, and it takes a while. It may make less sense to keep scales in the chest, but it is infinitely easier than checking all the piles.

Second, I'm 0 for 27 in my last 9 scale runs. I was pulling at least 1 scale per run when Mod 4 came out. Could be random, don't know. But I've had great luck pulling other items all over DDO, so I figure it evens out. (Guildie Leonidis/Gotta always pulls scales, seems like even the DEVs love Leo. Makes sense, who doesn't.)

I prefer that some items are very, very difficult to obtain. At least there's something out there to continue to play for. I have all the toys, and IMO I liked it better when paralyzers and vorpals were very rare. I'm glad everyone isn't running around in dragon armor.

stockwizard5
06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Pre-Mod 4.1: Drop Rate = 0.37 (or 23 Runs avg for Armor)
Post-Mod 4.1: Drop Rate = 0.31 (or 27 Runs avg for Armor)

The sample size is 3769 Chest Pulls

I don't think that the Drop Rate has changed but a statistician might prove me wrong :)

Elliott777
06-26-2007, 01:48 PM
I already made a thread about this exact same thing just after Mod 4 was released. I agree that the scale drop is WAY TOO LOW. Nobody in their right mind wants to run Tor Over 100 times just to get a suit of armor, and anyone who says differently is crazy IMO. I suggested that 2 Scales drop / dragon ON the dragon for a total of 6 scales per run guaranteed and 1 / person. This way people can even say what color of scale they would prefer to get at the start of the quest. Of course this idea got bashed because someone made a comment about people that might take the scales off of the dead dragon and mess it up for everyone. There must be a better way to go about this because as I see it, it is not worth my time to run a quest for the sole purpose of obtaining Dragon Scales and getting kicked in the face by getting sub par loot. Lets face it, 25 Scales is ALOT of time even if you only get 1 per quest.

Gimpster
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
First, I don't want to search all the gold piles for scales. All that junk in the gold piles needs to be removed from my inventory to keep searching, and it takes a while.
Uh, no it doesn't. You can keep searching with your inventory full. You won't get more junk, but you will get the gold.

In fact, you'll get MORE gold with a full inventory than if you had space for junk items.

artvan_delet
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Uh, no it doesn't. You can keep searching with your inventory full. You won't get more junk, but you will get the gold.

In fact, you'll get MORE gold with a full inventory than if you had space for junk items.

Fair enough and good to know. I really just meant that 1) if your inventory was full, I didn't think there would then be space for a scale (they would need a way to notify you of a found scale) and 2) I don't want to hunt for a scale in all those piles when I can just open a chest. Just my op. thx.

HAWK480AV
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I dont think the scales should be in the gold piles but off the dragons.
click the corpse you get at least a one in 3 shot at a scale.

One scle per run garenteed would still offer a chance to trade it if you
dont get the color you want without being to common.

That would still be 25 runs to get your armor and that sounds about right
giving the power of the armor.

But i also think even though they are baby dragons the gold piles
should drop alot more plat then gold it is very expensive to run the quest
for clerics .