PDA

View Full Version : Names: free up ones from old accounts or expand it please!

Shaamis
06-20-2007, 09:37 AM
For the love of Pete.

There has to be a zillion good names gathering dust on accounts that aren't being used anymore....

Is there any way these names can be released, so they can be chosen by new players?

I know.....

Some people might be "holding" names for when their favorite class/race/prestige class becomes available, and that's fine, but how about:

Six months of inactivity of the account, allow new players to use the names, and if the original account miraculously starts being used again, they get prompted to change the name on sign-on.

If a player wants to "hold" a name for future use, all they have to do, is sign-on with that character every SIX MONTHS.

If they can't do that, chances are, they have moved on.

If this can't be done (don't see why not but an alternative could be):

Expand the naming string from 11 characters (currently) to 14+, and maybe allow Case-sensitivity, or special characters, to expand the choices?

Can I get a YAY/NAY!?!

tihocan
06-20-2007, 09:37 AM
What about finding some original name instead? I don't want to see more variations on Driztztztz pop up.

Cinwulf
06-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't think they should do this except for names on accounts that have been banned.

Taur
06-20-2007, 09:40 AM
What about finding some original name instead? I don't want to see more variations on Driztztztz pop up.

agreed

bandyman1
06-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Or....how about a random name generator that simply doesn't pick invalid names?

Impaqt
06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I just want the full Ascii set availabale for names.....

Leave people alone that have "Your Name"

Shrazkil
06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
For the love of Pete.

There has to be a zillion good names gathering dust on accounts that aren't being used anymore....

Is there any way these names can be released, so they can be chosen by new players?

I know.....

Some people might be "holding" names for when their favorite class/race/prestige class becomes available, and that's fine, but how about:

Six months of inactivity of the account, allow new players to use the names, and if the original account miraculously starts being used again, they get prompted to change the name on sign-on.

If a player wants to "hold" a name for future use, all they have to do, is sign-on with that character every SIX MONTHS.

Expand the naming string from 11 characters (currently) to 14+, and maybe allow Case-sensitivity, or special characters, to expand the choices?

Can I get a YAY/NAY!?!

/Nay

I hate the lack of using some names being held too, but 6 months would be FAR too short, and how ****ed would you be if you logged on a character you dont play often to be told you must change name ( and now some 7 year old imbecile is running around creating a bad name for what people percieve as you). Perhaps i could see a year, if your account (not just character) has been cancelled for more then 1 year, release all characters (but this would never happen, as it would ruin chances of swaying back old customers).

Shaamis
06-20-2007, 10:08 AM

I am all for originality, but if you had a character name you specifically wanted for your character, and it is is mouldering away in an account someone abandoned during headstart because "..this game sux.." and plans on never coming back to it, doesn't that take away from the game experience for you?

Maybe all of these people naming their chaarcters crazy stuff like Driztztztzitz, or Slappyham (seen it), is because they couldn't get their first, second or third spelling for the name they wanted, and instead go with "Sloppyface McAngrypants" because they didnt want their character to be named "Skkorrppioo" like thier favorit PnP character.

That's all I'm saying.

6 months is ample time in my mind, because if you play enough MMOs, that it takes you 6 months to swing around and check up/play your character, that seems wrong.

On my account I have 8 characters, I log in with them every week, if even for a few minutes, to check/delete d-mail/spam. How hard is it, how many accounts do you have to have, and/or how single-character focused do you have to be, to not be able to log-in with a toon once every six months?

Vox
06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Here's my only problem with this... They kinda promoted the whole headstart thing with the whole 'name reservation' concept. /IF/ I for some reason had decided 6 months ago to leave, say military deployment or anything really, and I came back to find that 'Vox' which I've had reserved on a character since headstart was gone. I would be livid. Not angry, not ****ed, LIVID. I would pitch a fit and generally act like a child, and frankly I wouldn't blame anyone else who did the same thing.

The other thing is, DDO doesn't have the same level of name nazism that other games have. If they did, then this would be more of an issue. Although... one guy did get a 24 hour ban for creating characters with some bad names... not even logging them in, just creating them, that was kinda funny.

Vox

Conejo
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Turbine needs to expand its name convention.

just using the first name can save time and space on the servers, sure. but it also forces a limit on names.

i here refer to CoX: your character's name includes all the name. so if it is "super dude mike" you type /tell super dude mike, yo.

that lets super dude mike hang out with his brother, super dude bob.

in DDO, there's only one super.

Kraldor
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
One thing i would like to see concerning character names would be allowing an apostrophe in the first name, which is an essential part to many elvish names

Riddikulus
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
/Nay

I hate the lack of using some names being held too, but 6 months would be FAR too short, and how ****ed would you be if you logged on a character you dont play often to be told you must change name ( and now some 7 year old imbecile is running around creating a bad name for what people percieve as you). Perhaps i could see a year, if your account (not just character) has been cancelled for more then 1 year, release all characters (but this would never happen, as it would ruin chances of swaying back old customers).
I think 6 months is long enough to not pay and get a benefit. After all we are talking about names on cancelled accounts here, not names you haven't logged into in a while on an otherwise active account.

I am all for this, simply because of DDO's use of only a first name. Even if the first name is reused it won't necessarily be reused the same way the person who lost the name used it.

OTOH I'd also be all for changing it so that names are unique based on first and last name rather than just first.

Kraldor
06-20-2007, 11:21 AM
I think 6 months is long enough to not pay and get a benefit. After all we are talking about names on cancelled accounts here, not names you haven't logged into in a while on an otherwise active account.

I am all for this, simply because of DDO's use of only a first name. Even if the first name is reused it won't necessarily be reused the same way the person who lost the name used it.

OTOH I'd also be all for changing it so that names are unique based on first and last name rather than just first.

How would you work /tells if both first and last name were unique?

The game wouldn't be able to differentiate between:
You tell Sam, 'Hey sup'
You tell Sam Hey, 'sup'

both of those are two different people, but there is no way for the game to know that

Tanka
06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
How would you work /tells if both first and last name were unique?

The game wouldn't be able to differentiate between:
You tell Sam, 'Hey sup'
You tell Sam Hey, 'sup'

both of those are two different people, but there is no way for the game to know that
/t Sam, Hey sup
/t Sam Hey, sup

That's how CoH works it.

Riddikulus
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM

just using the first name can save time and space on the servers, sure. but it also forces a limit on names.

i here refer to CoX: your character's name includes all the name. so if it is "super dude mike" you type /tell super dude mike, yo.

Even then CoX still had the problem with names... you ended up with "Sooper Dude Mike", and "S00per Dude Mike", and "Super Dude M1ke".

The City has a 90 day name expiration policy, but it applies to characters under level 35 only (i.e. some accounting for "reputation"). After the 90 days are up if someone chooses your name, you lose the name and would have to choose a new one the next time your account was active and you logged in.

I guess DDO could do something similar with the cutoff being under level 10 or something.

Mourning_Star
06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm definitely for the expansion of allowable naming conventions.
I'm definietly against the use of stupid names.

Apostrophes need to be included!! As mentioned, many elves have them.
Numbers need to be included!! What about all those WF with model numbers??
Additional ascii characters don't belong in names. DDO doesn't have the population that DiabloII does. Totally not necessary.

Stupid names... I've found that if someone has a stoopid name, (or a form of Drizzt) I probably don't want to group with them. Having numbers available for 1355 h4X0rz would make it glarlingly obvious who is most like to get everyone killed in a pug.

Talcyndl
06-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Expansion of naming conventions is fine. But don't make it case sensitive.

That's just asking for misdirected tells and, worse, mail.

JelloMold
06-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Names are half the reason I make a new character, but I don't have a problem with someone else getting them first. With all that said, I'm bummed that someone beat me to Helena Handbasket:D

Oh, well, I'll stick with what I have...

Hammond Eggs
Marge Inoverra
MelloYellow (yellow WF)
PinkPanzer (pink WF)
GooglyMoogly the Great
MrMojo Risin (bard of course)
InstantKarma (we all shine on) etc...

Riggs
06-20-2007, 03:32 PM
6 months is a bit short, but 1 year should be fine - if you havent played in a year for a game that is only 1.5 years old - you dont really deserve to keep your name anyway (I am talking inactive accounts, not active accounts that the person just does not log into).

Lots of people during head start probably reserved a bunch of names on all servers. Then got bored after 3 months and left. So now every server has a ton of ineligable names because of people reserving names a year and a half ago.

And a BIG yea to more characters for first names, and punctuation, like an ElfD'Phiarlan - Eberron and D&D has certain naming conventions you cant even put into your first name, and no one sees your last name on the Who list.

MysticTheurge
06-20-2007, 04:47 PM

What the heck do you do with someone who resubscribes and someone else has their name now?

I think it's a bad idea to release names on anything short of several years of inactivity. Seriously, names aren't that hard to come up with.

Riddikulus
06-20-2007, 06:12 PM
What the heck do you do with someone who resubscribes and someone else has their name now?
Well if someone takes the name, you would end up being "Renamed12345" or something, and would be awarded a name change token for whenever (if ever) you come back.

I think it's a bad idea to release names on anything short of several years of inactivity. Seriously, names aren't that hard to come up with.
MMO "lives" are measured in weeks or months for most people... I don't see a problem with 6 months of non-payment or something along those lines being the trigger. If someone is that attached to their names they can resub two months out of a year to keep them... not a big deal.

Scholar
06-20-2007, 06:24 PM

I agree completely. A friend of mine started play around launch. He played for a couple of months and then quit. When they gave the free weekend for the one year aniversery he tried out DDO again. He's been playing ever since. People do come back after long periods of time away from an online game. I don't want to see their game identity taken away from them. When someone shows up on my friends list I haven't seen on in a while, I want it to be that person.

Besides, some names like HGTUHFYU and HHKTYFTRT have been lost forever. Isn't that a good thing... ;)

Krell
06-20-2007, 07:23 PM
For the love of Pete.

I know.....

Can I get a YAY/NAY!?!

I would agree for inactive accounts after a certain period of time. For active paying accounts, I would disagree regardless of how long the character has not logged in.

Uska
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM

I dont want to have to type out someones full name just to send a tell some first names are bad enough now bad idea

MysticTheurge
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Well if someone takes the name, you would end up being "Renamed12345" or something, and would be awarded a name change token for whenever (if ever) you come back.

Though I can't speak for everyone, that'd be a real quick way to get me to quit again.

Tanka
06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Though I can't speak for everyone, that'd be a real quick way to get me to quit again.
Agreed. No MMO I know of does this.

MysticTheurge
06-20-2007, 09:14 PM

I think I actually recall one old text-based game I played that did it, but only for accounts that had been inactive for 5+ years (or so; it was definitely a lot of years).

Tanka
06-20-2007, 09:22 PM
I think I actually recall one old text-based game I played that did it, but only for accounts that had been inactive for 5+ years (or so; it was definitely a lot of years).
My point remains. MUDs rarely pull the same amount of users that an MMO pulls.

(I still think it's a dumb idea -- if you can't come up with an original name, then, well, bah to you.)

Shaamis
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Ok.

So....
6-12 months of unpaid inactive accounts have the possibility of getting their names picked again.

If their name is chosen by another player, the name on the original character changes to <name>a, and anyone else trying to choose the same name will be denied, due to an active account character now possesses that name (but they can try for <name>a now).

Extenuating circumstances (military leave, medical reasons, kidnapped by aliens, etc.) and you REALLY want to make sure no one takes your character's name, call Turbine CS Support, and have them freeze your account.

That sounds fair.

So who's In-Box do I send this too? :P

Sincerely,

Tanka
06-20-2007, 10:39 PM
That sounds fair.
Actually, it still sounds like a bad, bad idea.

Riddikulus
06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
As discussed earlier City of Heroes/Villains does (did) exactly this.

90 days after you cancel your account, the names of your characters that are under level 35 (out of 50) become available for other players to choose.

The policy is here, although it does say it is suspended currently:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3845194

Tanka
06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
As discussed earlier City of Heroes/Villains does (did) exactly this.

90 days after you cancel your account, the names of your characters that are under level 35 (out of 50) become available for other players to choose.

The policy is here, although it does say it is suspended currently:
http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3845194
Which means they caught enough flak to realize it was a stupid idea.

I hope Turbine realizes the same thing before even thinking about implementing it.

bandyman1
06-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by bandyman1
Or....how about a random name generator that simply doesn't pick invalid names?
Based on server, of course :D

Was it something I said? Was this completely unworthy of a single "agree" or "disagree" post?

Shaamis
06-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Actually, it still sounds like a bad, bad idea.

C'mon guys, lets be reasonable and constructive here.

If you simply don't like the idea, and don't want to offer good alternatives, then say it, don't just "naysay"

The way it is written in my above post, all you have to do to safeguard all of your characters names, is to:

1) pay Turbine a monthly fee 2-3 times a year (DDO's been out 1.5 years, I hope you have paid for at least three months worth of subscription)

2)..........oh wait, that's ALL you have to do.

I could still go for an increase in the naming string, from 11 to 14-15, that would add a lot of possibilities.

Also, the jump to adding the last name in the unique naming string would work, but it would make my hand cramp I think :p

The additional characters in names allowed can be opened up also, but maybe just non-numerical characters, so boomer, b00mer, b00m3r, and boom3r don't happen. I agree that would get annoying, and hurt the first time I accidentally send that person a Greater Mneumonic potion :eek:.

Turbine, all we are talking about here is coding, no graphics, no animation, no liscensing, just allow more options for characters names, or put in process a name reclamation program, that's fair, and we can readily use.

Sincerely,

MysticTheurge
06-21-2007, 07:05 AM
If you simply don't like the idea, and don't want to offer good alternatives, then say it, don't just "naysay"

There's an even simpler, perfectly reasonable, no-work-involved, not-going-to-upset-anyone alternative.

People could just make up new names.

Seriously. It's just not that hard.

Shaamis
06-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Based on server, of course :D

Was it something I said? Was this completely unworthy of a single "agree" or "disagree" post?

I'm sorry Bandyman1, no one is ignoring you :D, but I have never enjoyed names coming from a random name generator.

I have character's names from days gone by in my head, and I have specific personalities I would like to see the light of DDO someday.

I'd liek to know if there is a good chance to get those names. that's all.

Scholar
06-21-2007, 07:44 AM

He was being reasonable. It is a bad idea. It isn't needed. There is nothing "broken" that needs alternatives. If you don't get your name, just make up another one. No coding needed. No development time waisted.

Tanka
06-21-2007, 08:01 AM
1) pay Turbine a monthly fee 2-3 times a year (DDO's been out 1.5 years, I hope you have paid for at least three months worth of subscription)
OK, let me give you a few reasons why someone cannot pay that fee.

1) Overseas stay without any real internet access (military or otherwise).

2) Hospital stay due to extended illness.

3) Lack of funding.

So we should punish those three types of players because they have to cancel their subscription due to extenuating circumstances?

And don't say "well they should keep their subscription up", because who in their right mind will continue paying for something they cannot or do not use?

Your idea is a bad one, and one that no MMO I know of subscribes to, and for good reason.

Riddikulus
06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Which means they caught enough flak to realize it was a stupid idea.

I hope Turbine realizes the same thing before even thinking about implementing it.
Perhaps. It's either that or it was something extra they had to do to "expire" the names periodically and as they said their data mining indicated it wasn't being used as much as they expected so it wasn't worth their time to continue running the procedure.

3) Lack of funding.

So we should punish those three types of players because they have to cancel their subscription due to extenuating circumstances?
Well I would agree with #1 and #2. #3 is subjective and is really not an excuse (needed the money to buy my carton of cigs, etc.).

I'd also add natural disaster to the list. City of * actually suspended monthly access fees for all people living in LA and MS during the Katrina debacle.

Tanka
06-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Well I would agree with #1 and #2. #3 is subjective and is really not an excuse (needed the money to buy my carton of cigs, etc.).
Or just "my family went through a lot of medical emergencies and I can't keep up with the payments with this MMO too".

I'd also add natural disaster to the list. City of * actually suspended monthly access fees for all people living in LA and MS during the Katrina debacle.
Granted. But you don't see too many natural disasters like that anymore. We tend to have a good deal of warning now.

Draclaud
06-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Gotta dissagree withya. Just come up with something else.
For Example-
You want your name to be Dan. Why not try-
Danis
Danius
Danan
Danikan
Danislav
ect.

Just an Idea

Heck I have a Daglan, Daglanos, Daglanis

apollojuly
06-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I've been name-squatting on Thelonious for my Monk since headstart. On several different servers.

As long as whatever you do doesn't mess with that, I'm cool.

Shrazkil
06-21-2007, 01:01 PM

The way it is written in my above post, all you have to do to safeguard all of your characters names, is to:

2)..........oh wait, that's ALL you have to do.

I could still go for an increase in the naming string, from 11 to 14-15, that would add a lot of possibilities.

Also, the jump to adding the last name in the unique naming string would work, but it would make my hand cramp I think :p

The additional characters in names allowed can be opened up also, but maybe just non-numerical characters, so boomer, b00mer, b00m3r, and boom3r don't happen. I agree that would get annoying, and hurt the first time I accidentally send that person a Greater Mneumonic potion :eek:.

Turbine, all we are talking about here is coding, no graphics, no animation, no liscensing, just allow more options for characters names, or put in process a name reclamation program, that's fair, and we can readily use.

Sincerely,
So a lifetime DDO player cancels for a month due to monitary reasons, gets injured in a fire rescuing a child, is in a coma for 7 months... your right, silly him for loosing all his character names, guess he should have left instructions with a laywer to resubscribe every 5 months....

Shaamis
06-21-2007, 01:20 PM

So when I said above "....Extenuating circumstances (military leave,..... ) call Turbine CS Support, and have them freeze your account....." What did you think when I wrote that?

As before "....Extenuating circumstances (medical reasons...) call Turbine CS Support, and have them freeze your account...." did you see that?

3) Lack of funding.

Lack of funding, is terrible, and there are many reasons for it. BUT, if you are having a hard decision of paying for an onlince MMO subscription, or going without necessary items to continue to function (food, gas, rent, car payment, medical insurance, diapers (if you are a parent)) you really might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

No, we should not, and I even had said what a person can do, if they suffer from extenuating circumstances, as above. It would cost nothing more than time on the phone, (or e-mail to Turbine CS Support) to make it happen.

And don't say "well they should keep their subscription up", because who in their right mind will continue paying for something they cannot or do not use?

If that is indeed the case, you need to ask yourself what kind of person who would be so darned adamant about keeping their characters name "safe" from others who might want to use it, when they themselves have made the decision to not "continue paying for something they cannot or do not use?" If they cannot pay for their subscription, I would consider that an extenuating circumstance, and follow the steps I said above, to freeze their account, and keep their names safe. Then when their temporary extenuating situation (I hope) improves, and they can come back to DDO, they can simply re-establish their account, (which, by default, would un-freeze the account), and therefore make the character's names safe for another 6-12 months.

Your idea is a bad one, and one that no MMO I know of subscribes to, and for good reason.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but even though this is the first MMO I have played, I honestly think it has the most limitation on what and how you can name your favorite characters.

The reason I would really like this implemented, is because I have already don the multitude of bastardized versions of names I really want, and it irritates me to think the name I would really like to use, has been locked in an account, on a lvl 1 toon, not used since headstart, and the player either doesn't play MMOs anymore, or decided he will never play this game again. in THAT case, that owner will never come back, never play again, and that name will be lost forever.

I'm not saying........I'm just sayin'.

From what I see, the general consensus is split, because of this thread, I have had characters come up to me in game, and say "Great idea! hope you get more support!" which has never happened to me until now.

I had no idea this would be such a big deal (either myself, or others beginning to feel strongly about it, like Tanka above)

I just thought it would be something we would need to address, after 1000's of names have been created, some locked away, and others still moderately in use.

11 possible letters in a first name, multiplied times 26 letters in the alphabet (26 to the 11th power?)=3,670,344,486,987,776 different combinations, oops, I forgot, 10 of those spaces could be blank, so

(((((((((26 * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 26=5,154,903,899,851,212 different name combinations.

That's a lot, but maybe 1% of them are preferable.

Tanka
06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
So when I said above "....Extenuating circumstances (military leave,..... ) call Turbine CS Support, and have them freeze your account....." What did you think when I wrote that?

As before "....Extenuating circumstances (medical reasons...) call Turbine CS Support, and have them freeze your account...." did you see that?

Lack of funding, is terrible, and there are many reasons for it. BUT, if you are having a hard decision of paying for an onlince MMO subscription, or going without necessary items to continue to function (food, gas, rent, car payment, medical insurance, diapers (if you are a parent)) you really might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

No, we should not, and I even had said what a person can do, if they suffer from extenuating circumstances, as above. It would cost nothing more than time on the phone, (or e-mail to Turbine CS Support) to make it happen.
Having to call someone to say "Hey, lock my account so my names can't be taken" is a step that should not have to be taken.

If you can't come up with an original name, there are free random generators out there. It takes a few seconds on Google to find them. Use them.

If that is indeed the case, you need to ask yourself what kind of person who would be so darned adamant about keeping their characters name "safe" from others who might want to use it, when they themselves have made the decision to not "continue paying for something they cannot or do not use?" If they cannot pay for their subscription, I would consider that an extenuating circumstance, and follow the steps I said above, to freeze their account, and keep their names safe. Then when their temporary extenuating situation (I hope) improves, and they can come back to DDO, they can simply re-establish their account, (which, by default, would un-freeze the account), and therefore make the character's names safe for another 6-12 months.
I go through phases. One month, I may not want to play a game. I may return, as I did with CoH, after a year.

I don't want to have to go through the troubles of renaming a character because somebody couldn't come up with an original name.

Grivnar
06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
ohh I can see the eyes bleeding already if they extended the naming conventions to last names....

try filing a plat seller report on kjsdfgkuh sdafjkhaskdfkajsyiwq`fhsdfb :D

good luck chuck I think I'll pass. Try just being original and not using trademarked names out of books you've read then changing a letter.

lots of good names floating around in your brain pan if you go looking for them

Riddikulus
06-21-2007, 03:10 PM
So a lifetime DDO player cancels for a month due to monitary reasons
I don't think anyone here is talking about a month. 6 at minimum, perhaps more.

gets injured in a fire rescuing a child, is in a coma for 7 months... your right, silly him for loosing all his character names, guess he should have left instructions with a laywer to resubscribe every 5 months....[/
First: Get real. If I was in a coma for 7 months whether or not I lost the names in a game would be of little concern to me.
Second: So he's in a coma for 7 months, but he somehow managed to turn of fhis account for 6 of those months and lost the names?

I think you're grasping here.

Again I think 6 months of non payment is reasonable... that is a lifetime in a MMO game.

And as I said before I would prefer that they just change naming to be based on unique first and last name. That would pretty much remove all need for naming expiration. After all there is more than one "Jack" in the real world... why is there only one in DDO?

Grivnar
06-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Again I think 6 months of non payment is reasonable... that is a lifetime in a MMO game.

That only if your in the ADD crowd that game hops like a topless dancer looking for more bucks in her garter. ;)

I have played this game since it came out, before that I played another game for 2 years, and another before that for 6 so I have lived 18 gamer lifetimes already? HOLY **** I AM OLD ! ! ! :eek:

FoxOne
06-21-2007, 03:51 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way, but even though this is the first MMO I have played, I honestly think it has the most limitation on what and how you can name your favorite characters.

The reason I would really like this implemented, is because I have already don the multitude of bastardized versions of names I really want, and it irritates me to think the name I would really like to use, has been locked in an account, on a lvl 1 toon, not used since headstart, and the player either doesn't play MMOs anymore, or decided he will never play this game again. in THAT case, that owner will never come back, never play again, and that name will be lost forever.

I'm not saying........I'm just sayin'.

From what I see, the general consensus is split, because of this thread, I have had characters come up to me in game, and say "Great idea! hope you get more support!" which has never happened to me until now.

I had no idea this would be such a big deal (either myself, or others beginning to feel strongly about it, like Tanka above)

I just thought it would be something we would need to address, after 1000's of names have been created, some locked away, and others still moderately in use.

11 possible letters in a first name, multiplied times 26 letters in the alphabet (26 to the 11th power?)=3,670,344,486,987,776 different combinations, oops, I forgot, 10 of those spaces could be blank, so

(((((((((26 * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 27) * 26=5,154,903,899,851,212 different name combinations.

EDITED- Time wasted OP doesn't know how to let go of a non-issue.

MysticTheurge
06-21-2007, 03:58 PM

Here's an easy alternative, if you want more name possibilities, increase the possible length of the name to 12 and you've just added a lot more.

Honestly "1% are preferable"? This really just sounds like sour grapes cause someone has the name you wanted to pick. Just deal with it, come up with a variant or play on another server.

Deriaz
06-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Gonna have to agree with the ones saying to pick a different name.

Now, in the event of a server merge, it would be a consideration. Not one that I'd endorse, personally, but one that could be considered. Except maybe raise it to a year, just to be safe. . .

I dunno. Just my thoughts.

-D

Shaamis
06-22-2007, 05:40 AM
No it's cool.

I understand a lot of people don't feel the way I do, and it's fine.

I come from a PnP background where making silly names or names with 4 r's in them are NOT considered acceptable.

I have played D&D for almost 20+ years, and I havent even come close to bringing all of the favorite characters I've played over the years to DDO.

I just wanted to see if there were options on getting some names that are locked down (intentionally, no, but the ones not intentionally held) freed up, so others can use them, who will actually use them.

Thanks. BTW, FoxOne, that was a personal attack, remember that when someone does it to you.

MysticTheurge
06-22-2007, 07:14 AM
I come from a PnP background where making silly names or names with 4 r's in them are NOT considered acceptable.

No character I've ever made had 4 Rs in the name (or any other letter).

Heck, I found it relatively easy to make up new character names on Risia (where all the servers have been combined) without resorting to tricks of text (like quadruplicate letters).

cdbd3rd
12-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Maybe allowing for numbers to be used would help. Right now, you only get a number on your name if you bring your character over from another server, and someone else is already using your name on that server. This way, if you type in Bob, and it says name is already in use, you could try Bob4713, or Bob2.

Devo already has a Bob2.

Meanwhile, nice one, this one being a full 11-1/2 years old.

Aelonwy
12-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Where's Memnir with a necro loving Skeletor? Those are awesome.

cdbd3rd
12-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Where's Memnir with a necro loving Skeletor? Those are awesome.

He has minions....
https://media.giphy.com/media/doYdmUoy6cL28/giphy.gif

sad thing is, I kinda like the name Minx. Way way back in the early days of the interwebs, I was looking for D&D based web sites. I stepped into a Usenet channel named #Dungeon. They were NOT roleplaying D&D. :D

I still miss little xminx.

Aelonwy
12-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Would you people please stop making fun of me for reading old posts and commenting on them ? And stop encouraging others to do this as well, like this person is, please. You may find it funny to make fun of me, but I'm not.

We are not making fun of you. We are upholding a tradition. One that is especially appropriate on a forum where Necromancers and Palemasters somewhat exist at least so far as characters in the game. If it hurts your feelings I will refrain from commenting on anything you post, but it wasn't meant as anything but light-hearted continuation of a long running joke/tradition.

Mendasissimus
12-07-2018, 07:12 PM
He has minions....

sad thing is, I kinda like the name Minx. Way way back in the early days of the interwebs, I was looking for D&D based web sites. I stepped into a Usenet channel named #Dungeon. They were NOT roleplaying D&D. :D

I still miss little xminx.

Do you guys seriously have such a sad life you have to attack someone for asking a question? The reason she brought up the old post is because it's the only one relevant to her query. You're a real hero online but obviously incel in RL if this is how you come at girls.

cdbd3rd
12-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Do you guys seriously have such a sad life you have to attack someone for asking a question? The reason she brought up the old post is because it's the only one relevant to her query. You're a real hero online but obviously incel in RL if this is how you come at girls.

Ah, that was clever. I see your knowledge of the urban dictionary is robust. Most folks probably read that as a typo instead of the insult it really is. Well played.

But my RL is alive and doing well, thanks for asking.

non iudico ne tu iudicovit