PDA

View Full Version : New content suggestion: three birds one stone

Duplicate_5
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Let me start by saying that I love my DDO experience. I have been here since BETA and ever since. Now, one of the major knocks on DDO is the lack of content (though admittedly, the content added has been a great boon). I recently contacted the CS team to fix my alignment and received a canned response of it being a known issue with no resolution. That got me thinking. Why not address lack of content, alignment issues, and minor post-creation character customization in one fell swoop.

My suggestion is for a future update to include adventures that would alter a characters alignment. This would potentially involve 9 new quests (if we ever got the option for evil characters). This number could go up even more if the quests were set in ranges, ie. Levels 1-4, 5-8, etc; could also use scalable monsters to make it so that a character of any level could use the same adventure. These missions would provide no favor and would be solo only. Experience gain should be very limited. If the concern is characters changing alignments too often there could be a timer instituted which would allow the alignment shift attempt no more than once per six month period or even once every six levels. In addition, and to avoid constant shifts, there could be a modifier added to the mission difficulty based upon the total number of Alignment Shift Quests previously undertaken.

To illustrate, let’s assume we have a Paladin that upon reaching level 4 decides, either for role-play purposes or other, to shift alignment. He visits the Alignment Shift Quest-giver and embarks on a lengthy quest (or even series of quests) to change his alignment to True Neutral. The dialogue options within the quest would reflect the change and there could be many other events that would shape this change within the paladin. After successful completion, the Paladin is True Neutral and no longer able to advance in levels as a Paladin or use certain equipment. If, however, at a later time in our ex-Paladin’s adventuring career he “atones” he can do a mission to return to a Lawful Good alignment. This mission will be more difficult (each change adds 2 to monsters CR for example) to obtain completion.

I hope this can generate some feedback, and possibly get some ideas generated on how to make the DDO world more enjoyable. I truly believe this could help with many who have wanted more character customization after hitting that “create” button and since we can’t change our appearance (yet) this is an alternative. This may appease some of the hard-core RP’ers and even casual players who didn’t think about alignment when creating their characters. I’m not a programmer so I don’t know the technical details, but if they could do it just imagine the possiblities…

Lengar
06-20-2007, 09:39 AM
EXCELLENT idea! I have been playing since beta 2 as well and have been really dragged back from loss of content and all the hotfixes.

I'd like to see something along the lines of you get to chose an option which makes your alignment sway. For instance, you can take one of two paths, a NPC would foreworn that one path leads to treasure, but the other goes to save a village leader, and once one is chosen, you can't return. Obviously, the greed would sway u towards evil and the rescue would sway towards good.

Conejo
06-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Paladins who are no longer LG lose their paladin abilities.
they become fighters without the free feats.

i'd love to see a thousand Paladins suddenly fall, though. just for the fun of it.

Duplicate_5
06-20-2007, 10:36 AM
lol just as long as they can't become blackguards... oh wait my poor Pally :(

oh and edit: you are now even closer to an evil alignment

i'd love to see a thousand Paladins suddenly fall, though. just for the fun of it.

Gol
06-20-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah, but Barbarians don't :D

Barbarian 10 / Rogue 2 / Paladin 2 for the win!

Conejo
06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
you are now even closer to an evil alignment

pft. they won't let me get any closer to evil. :mad:

Aeneas
06-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Roleplaying aspects of this game are sorely underscored. Issues such as this to make player characters more emotionally invested in are few and far between. PC's should have a definite feel to them while you play. Without a moral direction it becomes hard to imagine yourself as said character. Often times we'll accidentally choose the wrong alignment at creation or have it mysteriously change as i've seen happen to a number of other people. The option to change something as fickle as person's attitude towards life is definitely something which should be integrated for both correctional and Roleplaying value.

Duplicate_5
06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Roleplaying aspects of this game are sorely underscored. Issues such as this to make player characters more emotionally invested in are few and far between. PC's should have a definite feel to them while you play. Without a moral direction it becomes hard to imagine yourself as said character. Often times we'll accidentally choose the wrong alignment at creation or have it mysteriously change as i've seen happen to a number of other people. The option to change something as fickle as person's attitude towards life is definitely something which should be integrated for both correctional and Roleplaying value.

Exactly!

I know from a role-playing perspective my Wizards' attitude about life surely would have changed from the journey he has taken. When he was relatively new to Stormreach he was so self-absorbed and did not care much about others. However, after having been helping so many he has started to be more selfless and concerned with others. This is the very embodiment of many epic novels: the hero's journey.

If some do not like it for role-playing purposes they can like the new content. The missions don't have to force you to be a new alignment, merely the opportunity. Also, for those powergamers it would allow new builds previously unavailable. Everybody wins as I see it.

JosephKell
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, but Barbarians don't :D

Barbarian 10 / Rogue 2 / Paladin 2 for the win!Barbarians that become lawful can't rage. HA HA!