PDA

View Full Version : Clueless newbie need an advice or two

Artx
06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Me and my wife we recently joined ddo. We mostly always grouped together. My main char is a lev 4 pally and her is a lev 3 bard.

We are having hard time since we hit the marketplace. Quest listed for lev 2 are hard as hell, I got pwned realy bad !! lol

Ok what went wrong ? we are newbie and we are still trying to figure how to play trought the marketplace.

joracie
06-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Well the main reason, Is a cr2 quest on normal is made for a party of level 2s(and 3 for hard and 4 for elite) But the two of you should be able to do it. Can you tell us a little more about what happened? Maybe how you were handling things what tactics you were using? also what server are you on? People might be able to help you out by showing you :)

SteeleTrueheart
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Several things.

First off: Welcome to DDO! You will love it.

Your Q's:
A Paladin is not the best Melee class. (My main is a Level 14 Paladin, I love Pali's)
A bard is tough to play at low levels and is not a Great healer. (Bards are great when they hit higher levels and they rock in large parties.)
Quests are designed to be played by at least 4 person groups (for non solo options for new players at least)

My #1 bit of advice to you, Don't be scared to join a group/guild.

This is a highly social game, you will meet people who will be happy to help explain things and lead you through the early parts of learning the game. You WILL make friends. Grouping with strangers (I suggest clerics to help heal you) is a fun experience. A good guild will make this game 1000% more fun.

If you are on the Khyber server look up my guild the Stormreach Thieves Guild and you will be welcome to join. (This guild has a lot of off peak players as well as peak time players. There should be a few people on at anytime during the day.)

If you are set to only play by yourselves, I would aim at doing quests that are 2 levels lower than your levels. Dont be afraid to do the harbour quests a few more times so that you both get used to your characters more. Let the bard buff and heal the Paladin, with occasional control of the enemies. When you both learn the strengths of your characters, you will be able to play more wisely.

Hope it helps! Have fun and again welcome.

Kindoki
06-18-2007, 10:36 PM
You can do many of the quests, with the classes you have, and just the two of you, but you have to work to the strengths of the character. We would need to know a lot more about your builds and tactics to really answer your questions; but the big thing, other than grouping with some friendlies until you get the hang of the game flow, is to go slowly. Use the terrain (doors, etc.) use the skills the bard brings for crowd control, use your new paladin spells that you picked up at level 4, make judicious use of wands, potions, and scrolls that can be purchased, and don't be afraid to run away when the situation calls for it. For my low levels, I carry at least 20 cure light potions and resist potions of each type. I also use cure mod wands with my paladin, because you can. I won't be back online until the beginning of July, but feel free to look me up if you need a hand, or advice.

theedtwo
06-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Welcome to DDO and as said befor u will love it (it gets addictive) if u can tell us what world u 2 r playing on then i might be able to suggest a guild for u but i am on almost every day on teh world Lhazaar on my main but i will be happy to hop on my lv 3 tank and help u guys out so send me a tell if i am ever on i am Iwillsaveu and the guy that might be helping u guys he name will be Thetank it is kind of self explanatory and if u have heard that healing spells dont do as much healing to warforge then dont worry about me i got a perk that takes care of that so send me a tell if u guys r ever on and need a guy to help u out. :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

tihocan
06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Simply put duoing is not easy for new players. It's normal you're having a hard time :) So either try harder, or bring more to help!

DaGSO
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Having a lvl 14 pally, and a 14 bard, I think it is a lethal combination. There are some quests in the Market place that are tough. STK, Lost Signet and the few near Spire at the back of the Marketplace.

Make sure the bard has plenty of cure light/cure mod wands to help supplement the healing. Also the pally can use the wands as well. Basically go slow, and pick your fights.

Freeman
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Also, if you are really stuck, don't be afraid to ask someone for help. An experienced player can often show you a better way to accomplish something, or simply provide the extra manpower you need. There's no sense in getting completely frustrated by a quest.

sigtrent
06-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Doing quests with a small group takes a lot of game skill and knowledge. Most of the folks that solo a quest, know the quest inside and out and are prepared for each encounter ahead of time with some kind of plan. They also tend to have better equipment than people who are just getting started.

As noted your best bet is to find a vet who can show you all some pointers.

Both characters should save their pennies to get cure light wounds wands. THis will make things much easier letting you heal between shrines more without using the bards mana which could be better used to incapacitate monsters. The bard should make sure their selected spells are usefull. Check out the bard forumn and look to see what the popular low level spells are. Make sure each of you is using the best weapon you can find and you are attacking the same monsters instead of splitting up.