PDA

View Full Version : How Does AC Work

BrettVe
06-17-2007, 12:02 AM
I am curious of the numbers behind ac. How do you calculate whether or not you hit? And how do you calculate how much damage is done?

Borror0
06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Ok, do I need to explain how numbers add, if so just ask and I'll answer.

Armor Class represents the number that a monster must have to hit you. That means that his d20 + his to-hit modifier must be higher or equal to your AC. That means, the higher you AC, the less you get hit. However, that also means that past a certain point, your AC may become worth less.

A d20 have numbers for 1 to 20. On a 1, it's an automatic miss. On a 20, automatic hit. Also, on a a 20, it can be a critical. For that hit ti be a critical hit, you need to confirm the critical, that means hitting the AC again. So, AC helps you getting much less often and also reduces the chances a mob can land a critical hit on you. Of course, there is Heavy Fortification to protect you from Crits and Sneak Attacks 100% of the time, but Devs have warned us there would be monsters that can reduce our pourcentage of Fortification. So, an High AC will become more important in order to protect you from critical hits.

Sooner, I said that past a certain point, AC can become useless to you. Let me explain myself. Since 1 is an automatic missed hit, if a monster can hit you on a 2, your AC is equal to none. If you have 8 AC and a monster has +6 to-hit, your AC is worth nothing.

To calculate how much damage you get hit, the formula is a bit more complicated. First, you take the damage done by your weapon. In this case, we'll take a Longsword, so it is a d8. Then, you had the enhancement on it. If you have a +5 Lonsword, the damage would be d8+5. Now, you need to add your Str modifier to your weapon. Assuming a 16 Str, you'd had +3 to your damages, now your damage with that same +5 Longsword would be d8+8. (Crossbows do not let you add your Str to your damages, same for bow unless you are a ranger with the "Bow Strenght" feat.) Then you may add anyother enhancement that your weapon has (ie Flaming, Righteouness, Frost, Acid, Shock, etc.)

Note that there are a few spells and feats that can add to your damages. Lastly, weapon that hard wielded with two hands add 1,5 the Str mod instead. That means that a barbarian with a Greataxe in his hands and 18 Str (+4 Str mod) adds +6 to his Greataxe damages.

Hope this helps,
If you got anyquestion, simply PM me!:)
Borror0

negative
06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
The above poster pretty much got it spot on. The only thing I'll add, because it seemed to be misleading, is that a Critical Hit does not require a roll of a 20. It is more dependant on the weapon being used and the feats the weilder has. That said, one player/monster might only threaten a crit on a roll of a 20, but a raging barbarian with the right enhancements, feats, and items, might threaten a crit on a roll of a 13-20.

To add to the confusion, this is only to threaten a crit. To actually crit, you must roll a subsequent attack roll to confirm the critical. If this roll would normally hit the oppenent, than the attack is a critical hit.

To summarize:

To hit: 1d20+attack bonus(to hit bonus) >= enemies AC

Damage: result of weapon base damage roll+weapon enhancement bonus+Str bonus+any misc bonus = Damage done.

To crit: If your 1d20 rolls any number that your weapon threatens a crit on, and you confirm your crit as detailed above.

Damage of crit: [result of weapon base damage roll+weapon enhancement+Str bonus+*some* misc bonuses] all times the critical multiplier of the weapon.

A +1 longsword, which when examined, reads as this: 1d8+1, 19-20 x2. The weapons base damage is 1d8, the enchancement bonus is +1, the crit range is a roll of 19 or 20 on your d20 attack roll, and the Damage multiplier of the crit is x2.

BrettVe
06-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Thank you for the info. It really cleared up some confusion, but also gave me some more questions.

Basically a level one wizard can mele hit any level monster in the game as long as the wiz rolls a 20 right?

I keep hearing that unless you get 50 ac, it is worthless at higher levels. How do you get 50 ac?

I understand that you start off with 10 ac (with 10 dex). Without items, enhancements, spells, or stat increases, is there any way to increase your base ac past ten?

I noticed that mage armor does not stack with scale male, or regular chest armor. Does it stack with gauntlets that give armor boosts?

At level 14 if I had a BAB of 7, how hard will it be to hit things?

Borror0
06-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Thank you for the info. It really cleared up some confusion, but also gave me some more questions.

I've got your PM but I'll post here in case it answers someone else questions.

Basically a level one wizard can mele hit any level monster in the game as long as the wiz rolls a 20 right?

Yup.

keep hearing that unless you get 50 ac, it is worthless at higher levels. How do you get 50 ac?

I find this thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=30186) to give good answers.

I understand that you start off with 10 ac (with 10 dex). Without items, enhancements, spells, or stat increases, is there any way to increase your base ac past ten?

No, base AC is base AC. The only way to improve AC comes from feats and items. Base AC will never change.

I noticed that mage armor does not stack with scale male, or regular chest armor. Does it stack with gauntlets that give armor boosts?

Basicly, Bonus of the same type don't stack. Mage Armor, Armor and Bracer all give an Armor Bonus to AC. This means that they highest will take place and the other will be ignored.

7 BAB at level 14 means that you are caster (either a Wizard or a Sorcerer). That means you are not built for melee combat. If you want to be a melee Wizard/Sorcerer, you can build yourself properly and cast Tenser Transformation on you, but that'll prevent you from casting. Also, celric gets a spell named Divine Power at lv 7bthat allow them Full BAB too.

wundernewb
06-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Basicly, Bonus of the same type don't stack. Mage Armor, Armor and Bracer all give an Armor Bonus to AC. This means that they highest will take place and the other will be ignored.

Although there can be exceptions. For example, the Iron Manacles, an end reward from the Delara's series, give a +4 deflection bonus to AC, and thus will stack with Mage Armor.

And Dodge bonuses to AC do stack.

BrettVe
06-23-2007, 11:08 AM
very cool thanks.

You mentioned if i want to be a mele wiz or sorc I should build myself properly. Can you elaborate please. I think that will be the most fun build for me.

I ran into someone with a similiar build. Warforge level 3 wiz. His stats were 14 str 14 dex 16 con 16 int 8 chr 8 wis. He mentioned he was going pure wiz.

He had a bastard sword and a shield. And mentioned he took a feat for the sword, and took mitheral armor as well.

He held his own pretty well with straight mele and buff spells, but when i was talking to him i didn't realize that you need a feat for the shield as well.

I guess he is taking a penalty to hit with the shield (along with a extra spell failure rate).

I like the stats and the self heal of the warforge wiz combo, but what is a good way to build a mele wiz (going pure wiz). I would like to be able to solo effectively, as he claims to be able to do.

For a shield and a bastard sword I would need two feats, and I wont be able to get that until level 6. It seems a better pick to just get a great sword proficiency, which I could pick up a level 3. Or is it better to take the ac hit and skip mitheral armor. I can use mages armor which would give me plus 4 which is one less then mitheral. Then again, why go mitheral at all, dodge and mage armor will give me the same effect without spell failure. I can also buy a bracer for the mage armor bonus so that i don't need to waist a spell slot.

Maybe one level of fighter and rest wiz is best though. Or go drow and one level of cleric and rest wiz? I would prefer a pure class, but I am open to ideas.

That link to the other post was great btw.

negative
06-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Couple of comments. The type of build you are describing, a "battlemage", is extremely difficult to achieve in DDO. Just a warning. I would get some more playtime w/ both a standard wizard and a standard melee under belt before you attempt such a build. That said.

The stats that guy gave you sound reasonable, but I haven't thought about it much. I would skip the Bastard sword profiency, since you get so few feats. I would consider taking one level of fighter for all your weapon, armor, and shield profiencies. You will be one level behind on spells, but you will still get the max level of spells by level 14.

Both Warforged and Elves are compelling races because both get enhancements to reduce their Arcane Spell Failure. You might also want to keep an eye out for Mithral Light Shields, they have 0 ASF. Even my pure wiz brings one of those along for when he needs to get bet on. If you go that route, w/ wearing armor and using a shield, both the spells Mage Armor and Shield will be of no use to you.

Tenser's Trasformation can be good, but keep in mind the Stat bonus from it don't stack with items, and if you are low on HP when it wears off, you might lose enough Con to kill yourself. Not that I've done that before:D

Also, many groups will give you odd looks or be ****ed that you aren't filling a more traditional role of an arcane caster. I would consider letting groups know ahead of time what you are.

Borror0
06-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Here are a few builds, they do not intend to go pure however.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=85042

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=84795

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=105658

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=94271

Here's discussion:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=93978

Tiblorian
06-23-2007, 06:12 PM

I keep hearing that unless you get 50 ac, it is worthless at higher levels. How do you get 50 ac?

Near Impossible.

BrettVe
06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I like the pure mage better, Less time waiting on new spells, although i see the advantage of a level of fighter.

So far here is my build.

Warforge Wiz (level 2 so for)
14 str
14 dex
16 con
16 int
8 wis
8 chr

1st level feats
Shield prof
Extend Spell

I picked up a black widow bracer (+4ac). The mitheral armor seems like a waisted feat. 5 ac is all i get, and instead I can use the bracers and get 4 of them. Later on if the loss of 1 ac is a factor I can get dodge :-)

I am using a Club with a large shield right now. The clubs damage isn't great, but the shield's 2 damage reduction helps. I am using the spell shield as well boosting it up to 4 deflection bonus (until I find a 4 or 5 ac shield).

This char holds his own pretty well in a group, but soloing is not so good. Maybe with a good weapon that will change, also next level will make a big difference with the buffs (blur, bull's strength).

I am not really looking to be too big of a fighter, I just want to be able to mele semi effectively, be able to survive in the middle of the fight without too much trouble, and I also do not want to worry about aggro.

I am considering for the next feat at level three, bastard sword prof.

There are a few things hurting this toon: spell resistance, accuracy, and damage. I don't do much damage, and I miss alot.

Will the bastard sword be substantially better then the club? Is it worth the feat? Or do you recommend a different feat.

Borror0
06-24-2007, 04:39 AM
You said it, you miss a lot and you don't do a lot of damage. Grab a single level of fighter, only one. That will delay of one level, you won't wait that much, just a little. By grabbing that level of fighter you get:

-Shield Prociency
-Martial Weapon Procienc
-A Figthing Feat of you choice

I suggest you to go for two handed weapon as they deal a lof of damage but also save you from spell failure. Not grabbing the Armor feat is great if you can get your hand on the WW Bracer like you said. At this point, I could suggest to re-roll and grab a level of fighter at second level. Don't take Shield Proficiency, waste of a feat. However, I can propose you something of really synergetic, you could go for two levels of paladin and the rest of sorcerer. I have a friend who plays that build on Tharashk and he loves.

You could go :

Lawful Good Warforged
12 Sorc/2 Pal

16 Str - Add all points you get from level up
10 Dex
16 Con
8 Int
8 Wis
14 Cha

Feats:

1. Extend
3. Two-Handed Fighting
6. Toughness
9. Mental Toughness OR Weapon Focus: Slashing OR Power Attack
12. Improved Two-Handed Fighting

The two levels of paladin help you to have better saves while getting better weapon profiencies. As a sorc, you Cha is important, but since you don't want to to as a main caster, value Str more. You won't be able to land PK and FoD at high levels, but you'll be able to fight the best a cater can and be able to heal yourself in battle and cast a lot of buffs. In short, you'll be a bad version of a Battle cleric or very weak battle bard. Maybe that's more what you should roll. You'd be much better at it.