PDA

View Full Version : Stormreaver puzzle strategy - complete in five moves or less

Strangelove66
05-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Stormreaver "Mastermind" Puzzle Strategy

Do you have some trouble solving the Stormreaver's puzzle? This guide may help.

The following is a mastermind strategy that I adapted to DDO that was originally developed by Toby Nelson in 1999 (adapted by converting cyan to orange and white to purple). I am NOT the original author of this strategy and I take absolutely no credit. According to his website (http://www.tnelson.demon.co.uk/mastermind/), Nelson used a mathematical strategy published by Kenji Koyama and Tony Lai in the Journal of Recreational Mathematics (1993) that guarantees success in five moves or less for all but one case needing six moves (in the raid you are allowed ten moves). I couldn't believe that this would work, but I tested it out at Mastermind websites such as this one (http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/) and haven't failed since.

But I must warn you - this is a MEGA spoiler for the Reaver raid, because with this strategy you will only need time, not critical thinking skills. So please, if you think that the puzzle is fun to try on your own, by all means continue to do so! I am only posting because I have been in a position where everyone has worked very hard to beat the Reaver and the puzzle has been on me to solve, and I have let my friends down. If you are the type of person that just wants to complete the puzzle and get it out of the way, than this is for you.

Instructions:
Copy and paste the table that appears in the next post into MS Word or another text editor. Use the Replace command (in MS word Edit-->Replace) to replace "C" with "O" and "W" with "P".
Print out the modified table and keep it next to you as reference.
Pay careful attention to the number of white and black markers that show up next to each guess on the board, and move on through the table accordingly.
Try praticing on online websites to get the feel of looking through the table.Any questions, feel free to ask.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Shade for suggesting a more reliable and accurate mastermind practice website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEGEND:
(0) No markers
(1) 1 white marker
(2) 1 black marker
(3) 2 white markers
(4) 1 black marker, 1 white marker
(5) 2 black markers
(6) 3 white markers
(7) 1 black marker, 2 white markers
(8) 2 black markers, 1 white marker
(9) 3 black markers
(10) 4 white markers
(11) 1 black marker, 3 white markers
(12) 2 black markers, 2 white markers

First guess (always): Blue, Blue, Orange, Orange

B=Blue O=Orange G=Green R=Red Y=Yellow P=Purple

Strangelove66
05-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Edit: Tried to post in forums, but format came out as a single line.

Please see the Legend above for an understanding of the numbers.

The following is a direct link to the Table that contains the soultion (remember to edit per the above instructions):

--->SOLUTION TABLE<--- (http://www.tnelson.demon.co.uk/mastermind/table.html)

babygirl
06-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Stormreaver "Mastermind" Puzzle Strategy

Do you have some trouble solving the Stormreaver's puzzle? This guide may help.

The following is a mastermind strategy that I adapted to DDO that was originally developed by Toby Nelson in 1999 (adapted by converting cyan to orange and white to purple). I am NOT the original author of this strategy and I take absolutely no credit. According to his website (http://www.tnelson.demon.co.uk/mastermind/), Nelson used a mathematical strategy published by Kenji Koyama and Tony Lai in the Journal of Recreational Mathematics (1993) that guarantees success in five moves or less for all but one case needing six moves (in the raid you are allowed ten moves). I couldn't believe that this would work, but I tested it out at Mastermind websites such as this one (http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/) and haven't failed since.

But I must warn you - this is a MEGA spoiler for the Reaver raid, because with this strategy you will only need time, not critical thinking skills. So please, if you think that the puzzle is fun to try on your own, by all means continue to do so! I am only posting because I have been in a position where everyone has worked very hard to beat the Reaver and the puzzle has been on me to solve, and I have let my friends down. If you are the type of person that just wants to complete the puzzle and get it out of the way, than this is for you.

Instructions:
Copy and paste the table that appears in the next post into MS Word or another text editor. Use the Replace command (in MS word Edit-->Replace) to replace "C" with "O" and "W" with "P".
Print out the modified table and keep it next to you as reference.
Pay careful attention to the number of white and black markers that show up next to each guess on the board, and move on through the table accordingly.
Try praticing on online websites to get the feel of looking through the table.Any questions, feel free to ask.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Shade for suggesting a more reliable and accurate mastermind practice website.

LEGEND:
(0) No markers
(1) 1 white marker
(2) 1 black marker
(3) 2 white markers
(4) 1 black marker, 1 white marker
(5) 2 black markers
(6) 3 white markers
(7) 1 black marker, 2 white markers
(8) 2 black markers, 1 white marker
(9) 3 black markers
(10) 4 white markers
(11) 1 black marker, 3 white markers
(12) 2 black markers, 2 white markers

First guess (always): Blue, Blue, Orange, Orange

B=Blue O=Orange G=Green R=Red Y=Yellow P=Purple

This has to be the most confusing thing I have ever seen, you expect ppl to know what this is LOL!

The_Cataclysm
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
This has to be the most confusing thing I have ever seen, you expect ppl to know what this is LOL!

I understand it. Not that confusing at all.

Caelan
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
out of curiosity... why is the first guess always the same? there have to be plenty of circumstances where just by looking at the puzzle you will know that those colors are not correct, so obviously there is another reason...

and it is a confusing table. you say to move through the table accordingly but i'm not sure what you mean.

i have not been able to do the puzzle room yet - the first time i went through i was too busy fighting spawned enemies (we failed that time) and the second time i was killed before we even went in there so i was not able to watch that part (we won, though, so that was okay). but i do know mastermind (didn't have tv as a kid - see what such deprivation causes!) and shouldn't you be able to figure out the solution with the information given? or is it not set up that way?

Strangelove66
06-04-2007, 06:20 PM
out of curiosity... why is the first guess always the same? there have to be plenty of circumstances where just by looking at the puzzle you will know that those colors are not correct, so obviously there is another reason...

and it is a confusing table. you say to move through the table accordingly but i'm not sure what you mean.

i have not been able to do the puzzle room yet - the first time i went through i was too busy fighting spawned enemies (we failed that time) and the second time i was killed before we even went in there so i was not able to watch that part (we won, though, so that was okay). but i do know mastermind (didn't have tv as a kid - see what such deprivation causes!) and shouldn't you be able to figure out the solution with the information given? or is it not set up that way?

I can understand your confusion, especially because you claim to not have made it to the puzzle room. The guide was designed assuming that the reader has an advanced understanding of the Reaver's puzzle and how mastermind works. I certainly do not expect everyone to understand what I wrote.

I said I would answer questions and I will reciprocate. The reason the first guess is always the same is because the players have no prior knowledge or hints as to what the final four-color combination is. Think of it as if someone where to hide two hands behind their back and ask you which one has the dollar bill. It is a completely blind guess. But keeping the first guess consistant gives us a stable footing from which we can make the next guess, because we can learn from the feedback. And that is what the solution table is really about, the feedback.

To illustrate what I mean by "move through the table accordingly", I will use a random example. Note that this may not make sense unless you perform the substitution I prescribed above (replace cyan with orange and white with purple). Remember from Mastermind that a black marker represents a color that is correct and in the correct position, and a white marker represents a color that is correct but not in the correct position. Let's take our first guess:

--BBOO (Blue, Blue, Orange, Orange...I will abbreviate colors from now on)

Now let's say that we get the following feedback (to the left of the colors during the raid): 1 black marker, 1 white marker.

Now to apply the strategy, we need to look at the table. For one black and one white, that gives us a number of four (4) according to the legend. So we scroll down the table and look for a "[4]" next to the BBOO. The lettering that appears immediately to the right of the [4] is our next guess. In this case, it is:

--BBGR

Now when take that guess and pull the lever, let's say we get one black marker only. The legend says that one black marker is a "[2]". So we look under the BBOO[4] section (from the first guess) for a BBGR[2]. The letters immediately following the [2] are our next guess.

--BOGY

This guess might give us two black markers now, or a "[5]" from the legend. We follow the text across and see that the next guess should be:

--OBBP

Now we're almost done. Let's say this guess gives us one black marker and two white markers. That would be a [7] and gives us the solution of:

--BOPP (solution)

So that would be how one would move through the table based on the feedback. Try looking at the solution and see how black/white markers from each guess match up. The most important thing is understanding how to generate a number from the legend after you get feedback. Try it out a few times on the web or at home with a friend to get a feel for it. As I wrote in the guide, I strongly suggest that you print out the modified table and keep it next to you as a reference. Good luck and happy hunting.

And Cat, thanks, I appreciate your approval. :cool:

Caelan
06-04-2007, 10:52 PM
OMG! that was a perfect explanation!!! i followed your example and it just is so easy from that. thank you so much!

i didn't get into the puzzle room this evening but i did get to look over someone's shoulder tonight when he was in there. i thought the game provided the first couple guesses and you had to figure it out from there (like entering into the middle of a game) - not a complete game from the beginning! wow! that's not so easy to do under a time limit. so i see why the table and it's pretty self-explanatory why you always start with BBOO.

very cool of you to share! thanks!

Vox
06-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Couple of suggestions to help improve the process slightly.

1. Replace "G" with "O", "C" with "G", and "W" with "P" in that order. This sets up the table so your first guess can always be BBGG, which are the first two colors in the Reaver puzzle. (this is a minor time saver:)

2. Split up the table into sections when you're printing it by using page breaks between the sections that have 0 up through 5. Label each section with it's number in the upper left corner, and staple in the upper right. This makes it easier to move immediately to the correct area of the table after the first guess, and is a much greater time saver... for me at least. I left the last section (6-12) as one section because it's only 2 pages.

Hope this helps people who might be having time issues in there:)

Cashiry
06-05-2007, 08:13 AM
There is another way to do this:

Identify your 4 colors first....Run thru all the colors till you reach your 4.

I.e.

B,B,B,B=1 correct
R,R,R,R=0 Correct
G,G,G,G=2 correct
P,P,P,P=1 correct

Once identifed take 2 of the correct colors and 2 wrong colors and get them in the right position as seen below:

G,G,R,R=1black, 1white,
G,R,G,R=1 Black, 1white
R,G,R,G=2 Black

your within 2 turns of completion because you already idetified 2 of the correct positions

B,G,P,G=2 black, 2 white
P,G,B,G=4 Black

just another strat...

barecm
06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Ummm... If you can do basic Master Mind (the game) puzzles, you can do this. I am not too sure why a lot of people are stressing this puzzle since it is pretty simple.

Impaqt
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Mastermind is an analitical game.........

Some people just dont have analitical minds...... Not a bash by any means..... Thats just the facts. Just as Many people dont "Get" Calculus, or Statistics......

Caelan
06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
again... speaking as one who has not been under the gun to do this in a raid and only as an observer... i don't think the problem is being able to figure out the answer, but to figure it out in the time allotted, coupled by the pressure from 11 other people to "do something". often, raid parties are there own undoing on these puzzles so it helps when you are trying to analyze something like that to have a resource to help you out (other than the guy in the background yelling "just pick all blues! it's always all blues!" - an exaggeration, of course).

a grosse exaggeration is that reality tv show, are you smarter than a 5th grader? of course, most of us are, but when under the pressure of time and "having" to win, everyone makes mistakes they wouldn't normally. or like the jeapardy watcher who gets every answer correct but when he tries to get on the show, doesn't even come close. is he dumb? does he not get it? no... it's just some do better than others under different types of pressure.

how well would a mathematical genius do calculus with a beautiful swimsuit model pressuring him? i bet most would make a mistake or two... :eek:

DSL
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Ummm... If you can do basic Master Mind (the game) puzzles, you can do this. I am not too sure why a lot of people are stressing this puzzle since it is pretty simple.

Well, I had never played it before today (thanks to the OP's link), nor even really knew what it was (I have vague recollections of the game box in stores). I certainly did not recognize this as the basis for the reaver puzzle the first time I was in there, and had no idea what those black/white readouts meant. Now having played it, it is not at all difficult for someone used to/good at logic puzzles, but I can see how it might be tricky if you only have 3 or 4 minutes left, with a group full of people counting on you.

Vordax
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM

I.e.

B,B,B,B=1 correct
R,R,R,R=0 Correct
G,G,G,G=2 correct
P,P,P,P=1 correct

Once identifed take 2 of the correct colors and 2 wrong colors and get them in the right position as seen below:

G,G,R,R=1black, 1white,
G,R,G,R=1 Black, 1white
R,G,R,G=2 Black

your within 2 turns of completion because you already idetified 2 of the correct positions

B,G,P,G=2 black, 2 white
P,G,B,G=4 Black

just another strat...

Its 6 colors, and you lose time for wrong answers so doing 6 guesses (actually 5, assume 6th based on first 5) will waste precious time.

Vordax

LeLoric
06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Anyone else solve it first try yet? :D

Mr._Dna
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey, Caelan.

I'm gonna use this chart as well going forward in case no one else can do the puzzle - like if you're not there...

and if you are doing it, I'm gonna expect you to figure it out w/out the chart. I'll compare as you go and give you **** for cheating! :)

Caelan
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
is it cheating to use your intelligence to know when to use the resources available to you? if so, i am guilty as charged. but i don't see this as any different than using a calculator when computing higher mathematics, or spell check when writing a document. sure, you could do it without them but it is a time saver.

**grumble, grumble** my own *grumble* officer giving me *grumble*! what is the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Litz
06-25-2007, 01:59 PM
So I'm making a program that you input the # of black markers, and # of white markers and it tells you what to guess based on the table of solutions mentioned by the OP. The only thing is I'm setting up the code and I see there is no series of info for the case when you guess BBOO to start and according to the legend you encounter #11. It should appear on the table of solutions as BBOO[11].some other info but the whole [11] series is missing. I realise if you get this off the first guess your in good shape having one color exactly and 3 others just in the wrong place. All you need to do is switch them around and have 9 shots, but I'm writing a program here it doesn't care how simple it is it needs data :) . So can anyone tell me what it should be?

Harncw
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Took the data from http://www.tnelson.demon.co.uk/mastermind/table.html

Used textpad to rename the colors and converted the wierd 0-14 solution table into english.

Put into an excel file:

http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/Stormreaver%20Puzzle.CSV[/URL]

Then go to the file menu, data, autofilter
Use the auto filter to choose the result of each try ie (number of black.white markers)

Note* to use this file against the web game ([URL]http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/ (http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/MasterMindSolutionTable.csv)), substitute cyan for yellow.

Inkblack
06-25-2007, 02:33 PM
NM, Harncw beat me to it.

Ink

Harncw
06-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Ninja Harn FTW!

Glad to see like minds. :D

Litz
06-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Used textpad to rename the colors and converted the wierd 0-14 solution table into english.

Put into an excel file:

http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/MasterMindSolutionTable.csv

Use the auto filter to choose the result of each try ie (number of black.white markers)

Note* to use this file against the web game (http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/), substitute cyan for yellow.

Thats nice and all but it still don't have info for the case when you have 1 black marker and 3 white markers on the first guess..

Harncw
06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Thats nice and all but it still don't have info for the case when you have 1 black marker and 3 white markers on the first guess..

That's true, however I'm thinking that the scenario you mentioned is not possible.

Take it up with Toby Nelson @ http://www.tnelson.demon.co.uk/mastermind/

Litz
06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Ok I get it now... :p Ya closest it could possibly be is 2black 2 white cause of the 2 pairs. Duh nvm.. Still instead of having 12 codes he should have 11 for that guess set. O-well will have to work with what I got.

Palmetto
06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
So I'm making a program that you input the # of black markers, and # of white markers and it tells you what to guess based on the table of solutions mentioned by the OP.
I have already done this in Excel. Let me know if you would like a copy to play with.

Craigthegreat
06-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Oh man, doesn't this take some of the sense of wonder, and feeling of accomplishment out of the raid? :rolleyes:

Gol
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh man, doesn't this take some of the sense of wonder, and feeling of accomplishment out of the raid? :rolleyes:
For the period of time between pulling the lever and popping the chest... Almost, but not quite ;)

Caelan
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM

here's a suggestion... do the raid with someone who's never done the puzzle and doesn't have a table. let them figure it out in the time allotted. see how many failures you get before people start dropping, "losing connections", or getting annoyed. then do the raid again with the table and get the chest.

then let us know which one felt better.

:p

arcane_nite
06-26-2007, 11:00 AM
You can also use this website below (see third table / click random and exact). It averages 6 moves. You just need to assign the 2 colors that do not correlate to reaver puzzle (white = x) (pink = x). Based on the number of exactly correct selections, it will figure the code for you and tell u ur next most logical guess.

http://www.maa.org/editorial/knot/Mastermind.html

Crabo
06-26-2007, 11:02 AM

I agree Craig, they can keep their tables.
I have done the puzzle around 4 or 5 times and failed only once. I have played mastermind years ago so i know what has to be done...doing so with elementals trying to own me and with a time limit really gets the heart pumping. This is one raid i dont mind failing at all, because it means i get to fly again. Turbine we want more quests with fly!

arcane_nite
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM

After the 50th time, the "wonder" has long been gone. I know how it ends, there is no suspense. LOL

Palmetto
06-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Hey Jax, did you get it to work for you yet?

I have already done this in Excel. Let me know if you would like a copy to play with.

Naso24
07-13-2007, 07:02 AM
I just like to do the puzzle without any tables or programs.

I always start out with all 4 blue. If I get 1 black orb, I then change 3 of the color wheels to the next color, green.

If I get a white orb - the blue is in the wrong spot - I move it to another location, while changing the 3 other wheels to the next color.

If I get 2 white - the blue is in the wrong spot, and so is green (which belongs where the blue is -since it is the only spot left green is not in). My next guess in this case would be green where the blue was, and blue in the next location, and the next color for the other two.

Using this type of logic, the puzzle can be taken care of in 7 turns or less most of the time, but it does require some quick thinking.

I solve the puzzle this way because it is pretty quick. It also avoids the pitfall you can get into if three of the wheels need to be 1 color.

jasnat
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I solve the puzzle this way because it is pretty quick. It also avoids the pitfall you can get into if three of the wheels need to be 1 color.

I agree with you, Naso. The first time I came across the puzzle, someone said I had less than two minutes to do it in. Kind of difficult on the first try, not knowing how the interface worked. The fact that there were only two of us left in the puzzle room didn't help. So then I went and did my homework and practiced this wonderful game I played many a wet Sunday afternoon.

After a while I developed the exact same strategy you described. I can get it in 8 tries or less I'd say at least 95% of the time. My average is around 6 tries. The only problem with this puzzle is the time constraints. Sometimes you get unlucky and come across a combination that requires you to take a minute and think. If not, it's smooth sailing and I can get most of them done in under a minute. That's faster than consulting a list.

To everyone else out there who wants to firgure out the puzzle the "hard" way, find a java version of Mastermind on the net and practice using the technique Naso described. After a while you get to see the patterns and will be able to solve it very quickly.

Harncw
07-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Put into an excel file:

http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/Stormreaver%20Puzzle.CSV[/URL]

Note* to use this file against the web game ([URL]http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/ (http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/Stormreaver Puzzle.CSV.csv)), substitute cyan for yellow.

Zorlinta
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Aye naso, thats the thinking way im allways use to solve any mastermind games, its cheap, ez & fast to solve :)

lets say colors A,B,C,D,E,F - B,W for cheksums, lets random have D,E,B,C as key.

1st try:
choose any color to begin, if you have it will have 1 or + hits, else 0
A,A,A,A - XXXX (no hit)
2dnt try
B,B,B,B - BXXX (1 hit)
3rd try
we know a B is somewhere
-if we have 2 black, then B is right and have 1 C right,
-else if we have 2 white then b is in a wrong place and know where we must have C
- if we have 1 white and 1 black B is wrong and one of the C's is ok, and the 1st place surely isnt C or B
B,C,C,C -BWxx
4th try (hard guess one)
we put a new variable to advance and get more info
D,B,C,C - BBwx
case a:
-if we get 3 B, so our new variable D is in right place, also b and C.
case b:
we will need an extra roll to determine righ place for B now.
-if we get 1 B and 1 W then our new variable not exist and B is again misplaced.
-if we get 1 B and 2 W then our variable C or B, is misplaced
-if we get 2 B and 1 W then our new variable exist and may or not be in right place, also our B,c.
After we use that extra hit we will know the right position for B,C or D, depending on the colors left and our previous hit experiencie.
5th try
just swift a b with 2nd c
D,C,B,C - BBBx
same than previos step information, + the knowledge we know we will have an answer of wich variables are ok and in wich places
-if D not exist, then we can place a new variable in it place
-play with the left place of c's with a new variable
6th try:
D,E,B,C - BBBB
at most here we would have missed 1 place and get bbbw, or the variable not exists, bbbx, if we had got a b less then the place of c was ok and new variable is the left slot.

Harncw
08-12-2007, 07:37 AM
http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/Stormreaver%20Puzzle.CSV

we lost a hard drive so I had to recreate the file, accidentically it had a different name than the original...

Conejo
08-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Mastermind is an analitical game.........

Some people just dont have analitical minds...... Not a bash by any means..... Thats just the facts. Just as Many people dont "Get" Calculus, or Statistics......

there are three kinds of lies in the world:
Lies
Damn Lies
Statistics.

WilbyZ
08-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Spreadsheet works great! Thanks Harncw! :D :cool:

maddmatt70
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
5 moves or less puzzle approach can respawn more elementals at a time which is harder to deal with if u are in smaller groups or if u dont have an arcane/bard in group. I would recommend a more conservative approach of narrowing and discounting options with the puzzle. Less elementals to deal with at once; hence, easier to kill elementals and work on puzzle.

Norg

Ekental
08-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm going to have to agree with the people here who advise not to use an auto-solver.

Honestly, I'd never even heard of mastermind until I ran into that puzzle, it took hrs to even figure out what "white" "black" and "grey" meant for the 4 orbs when the raid first came out.

It certainly felt like an accomplishement, however, when it was finally completed.

The reaver raid goes off 2 times/day on average now, and an auto-solver simply isn't used, seems to take a good chunk of the anxiety out of the quest.

I'm positive a couple runs with an online mastermind app will let you solve that puzzle quick enough.

Sanadil
08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
http://www.inthecore.com/ddo/solver.htm

Put the colors as shown, pull, put in how many blacks/whites you get, and move on.... haven't had it fail yet.

Vinos
08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
http://www.inthecore.com/ddo/solver.htm

Put the colors as shown, pull, put in how many blacks/whites you get, and move on.... haven't had it fail yet.

How is this possible? Unless instead of truly random like mastermind there is only a set number of possibilites. I will have to check this out in-game

Harncw
08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Whoopsie! Brain fart I guess

Good work!

Vinos
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
edited becuase I am dumb.

Vordax
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
It's not testing properly against http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/

I just tried it 3 times against this site, worked perfectly every time, no idea what your problem can be.

Vordax

Vordax
08-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Upon further review I have to call shenanigans on this. It just doesn't add up. For example putting in 2 white for BBOO the solution can't be OGRR. the program needs work my friend. It may work sometimes but it's certianly not 100%

OGRR is not the solution it is the NEXT guess. This site works perfectly. This game is a pure math game, try searching the internet on mastermind you will see a lot of research papers on the mathematics behind this game, including mathematical strategies on solving the puzzle.

Assuming no bugs in the program, this site uses one of the strategies mentioned in at least one of the papers.

If you don't want to use it don't but this will solve the puzzle in 4-5 tries every time.

Vordax

Vinos
08-14-2007, 11:33 AM
OGRR is not the solution it is the NEXT guess. This site works perfectly. This game is a pure math game, try searching the internet on mastermind you will see a lot of research papers on the mathematics behind this game, including mathematical strategies on solving the puzzle.

Assuming no bugs in the program, this site uses one of the strategies mentioned in at least one of the papers.

If you don't want to use it don't but this will solve the puzzle in 4-5 tries every time.

Vordax

My bad. The post wasn't clear. I thought he was saying it solves it in one shot. Since it doesn't I am sure it's sound. I use a similar guide when I do the puzzle.

Harncw
08-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I just tried it 3 times against this site, worked perfectly every time, no idea what your problem can be.

Vordax
Yeah I dont know what my problem was either...

I swore I tried it several times... must be the old age :)

I stole his work and swapped out orange for green here (http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/StormReaverPuzzleSolver.html) to match the intial settings when you get to the puzzle

Vordax
08-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah I dont know what my problem was either...

I swore I tried it several times... must be the old age :)

I stole his work and swapped out orange for green here (http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/StormReaverPuzzleSolver.html) to match the intial settings when you get to the puzzle

Good idea. Saves a few more seconds.

Vordax

Shrazkil
08-15-2007, 10:21 AM

I.e.

B,B,B,B=1 correct
R,R,R,R=0 Correct
G,G,G,G=2 correct
P,P,P,P=1 correct

G,G,R,R=1black, 1white,
G,R,G,R=1 Black, 1white
R,G,R,G=2 Black

B,G,P,G=2 black, 2 white
P,G,B,G=4 Black

just another strat...

Downside is, if there is 1 of every color, you just automatically lost.

Nataichal
08-15-2007, 02:13 PM
There is an algorithim that will automatically give you a solution within 5 attempts.

Litz
08-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Btw a guildy of mine stumbled onto this site which does it all and is really easy to use..

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/StormReaverPuzzleSolver.html

Harncw
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Btw a guildy of mine stumbled onto this site which does it all and is really easy to use..

that is actually my site... but the props really go to Sanadil who did th initial work.

Cheg
08-22-2007, 06:36 PM
that is actually my site... but the props really go to Sanadil who did th initial work.

Website crash? ;)

Harncw
08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Website crash? ;)

lol actually yes... we blew a transformer near the office :o
should be up in like 24 hours

NightbirdX
09-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Very good guide! Appreciate the explanations too. My buddy and I hashed it out last night, and we figured out how it worked. Didn't try it on any Mastermind games, just went straight to the reaver and did it. Worked like a charm beat it in 3 throws.

semargl
10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
yoy can try this one (http://rapidshare.com/files/60357461/RK2f.rar.html) too. This programm have average guess 4.47 and worst case 5.
you gonna need .net framework to make it work.

Harncw
10-04-2007, 06:03 PM
yoy can try this one (http://rapidshare.com/files/60253370/RK2f.rar.html) too. This programm have average guess 4.47 and worst case 5.
you gonna need .net framework to make it work.
Your link http://rapidshare.com/files/60253370/RK2f.rar.html blew an error for me... something to the tune of file deleted by uploader...

semargl
10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Your link http://rapidshare.com/files/60253370/RK2f.rar.html blew an error for me... something to the tune of file deleted by uploader...

link (http://rapidshare.com/files/60357461/RK2f.rar.html) updated

Harncw
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
link (http://rapidshare.com/files/60357461/RK2f.rar.html) updated

very nice :)

I compressed using zip and hosted it off of my server to get around the rapidshare bs...

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/RK2f.zip
or
http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/RK2f.exe

Raiderone
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Put into an excel file:

http://globalsoftware-inc.com/harncw/Stormreaver%20Puzzle.CSV

Note* to use this file against the web game (http://www.puffgames.com/mastermind/), substitute cyan for yellow.

worked great and it was my 1st time doing the puzzle...

adm5893
11-10-2009, 11:56 AM
just found this and download. Nice little application. Thank you for posting.

Phidius
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM

how well would a mathematical genius do calculus with a beautiful swimsuit model pressuring him? i bet most would make a mistake or two... :eek:

I usually have to apologize to the raid group and explain why I just stood there staring at the puzzle. Hopefully, there was someone in the group that knows my wife's habit of trying to distract me while I'm raiding.

However, she doesn't wear a swimsuit.

sirgog
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone else solve it first try yet? :D

With my strategy, that's impossible. I start with UUU_ (blue blue blue blank).