PDA

View Full Version : Sick of distracting DM messages

JCav
05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
For the umpteenth time: I don't want to read across the middle of my screen when someone succeeds or fails at Stormreaver or any other high-end quest. I'm tired of it distracting from MY enjoyment of the game and getting in the way of MY ability to deal with encounters I'm in the middle of while your text blocks most of my screen.

Put it in my general chat...and LEAVE IT THERE. I don't care what is going on with someone else's $15 a month. I care only about what is going on in MY party in MY instance.

Memnir
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I have to second this...
It was mildly amusing for the first week or so. Now it's just verging on obnoxious.

Put these Raid messages on their own channel, please.

QuantumFX
05-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Or could you possibly limit it to players that aren't in quest areas?

Spectralist
05-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Aye. I'm not a fan of those messages to begin with, but if it has to be there please put the text only in the chat box. Don't throw it in the middle of my screen.

GuitarHero
05-11-2007, 12:45 AM
at least they tell us when someone fails, so we can mock them amongst our parties...

but anyways, it loses a lot of its impact when someone is saving "All of Xen'drik" every 15 minutes or so.

Rokurgepta
05-11-2007, 12:46 AM
at least they tell us when someone fails, so we can mock them amongst our parties...

but anyways, it loses a lot of its impact when someone is saving "All of Xen'drik" every 15 minutes or so.

I never realized were constantly in such peril either.

GuitarHero
05-11-2007, 01:07 AM
I never realized were constantly in such peril either.

If Xen'drik gets much more dangerous, i think we are all gonna have to jump on the next boat to Sharn, since its taking our most powerful people to save the entire continent every 15 minutes!!!

The_Cataclysm
05-11-2007, 01:10 AM
If Xen'drik gets much more dangerous, i think we are all gonna have to jump on the next boat to Sharn, since its taking our most powerful people to save the entire continent every 15 minutes!!!

Doesn't help that they have to wait 3 days before saving Xen'drik again too.

Madmardigan
05-11-2007, 01:42 AM
lol are you serious? like 2 sentences of white words that pop up for maybe 5 seconds really interfere with your gaming?

Spectralist
05-11-2007, 02:17 AM
lol are you serious? like 2 sentences of white words that pop up for maybe 5 seconds really interfere with your gaming?

It can, yes. It'll nudge out any other DM text that was there for example, if you needed to see that text for whatever reason....

And it often jumps out several times in a row, making it a little hard to see anything behind the text.

Mellkor
05-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Isnt there an option in the UI panel to turn them off?

-JR

Conejo
05-11-2007, 06:21 AM

i could send you 2 sentences every 15 minutes if you'd like to see how it impacts you.

Thame
05-11-2007, 06:21 AM
If they are going to do this then post something useful to everyone such as
'GIANT NERF BAT SPOTTED OVER ALL OF XENDRICK HIDE UNDER NEAREST BAR WENCH IMMEDIATELY"

JCav
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Turbine, did you get the #(*#@% memo?

You're going to make me either 1) stop playing on the weekends or 2) Stop playing altogether because I'm sick of that s*** coming up on my screen due to all the guild raids that are occuring.

I do NOT want MY GAME EXPERIENCE to be negatively impacted by someone else's experience in a DIFFERENT INSTANCE.

I don't want to see it, I don't want to hear about it - I don't #(*@# care. Keep DM Text to what is relevant to MY INSTANCE.

Shecky
05-13-2007, 08:38 PM
I have to second this...
It was mildly amusing for the first week or so. Now it's just verging on obnoxious.

Put these Raid messages on their own channel, please.

Meh, I'd put that more as "...just verging on invisible." I hardly notice them any more. And that's from running at prime time on Argonnessen, the most populated server, so it's a fairly safe bet that there are more of those messages popping up for us.

Oh, and JCav? If, as Mad puts it, two lines of narrow white text that pop up on your screen for a couple of seconds are enough to distract you that much, then... well, I think you might want to take a more introspective approach to problem identification there, and I'll leave it at that. It's got about as much negative impact on your game as a mosquito hitting my windshield at 60 mph.

JCav
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Let me further illustrate my position on the subject now that I've cooled down a bit.

I play this game for MY enjoyment. I do not find it enjoyable to have text come up on the screen that takes up half of my main window while I am busy attempting to fight something in an instance or navigate traps or make a tricky jump.

I don't play this game to learn about someone else's e-*****. I don't care of they succeeded and their epeen grew a bit, or if they failed and thus it shriveled up a little.

I especially do not care about their gameplay when it negatively impacts my own and causes my own enjoyment of the game in a completely separate and unique instance to diminish. I encourage the Developers to join us on a Sunday evening/Saturday evening and try to do their own important battles while the screen is being filled every 10 minutes or so with the results of someone else's fight.

Imagine how much fun you'll have when you die or miss a jump or target the wrong mob or land in a bad spot while jumping through traps because some genius decided that you needed to be informed across the majority of your screen whether someone succeeded or failed at something.

Raolin_Darksbane
05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
i could send you 2 sentences every 15 minutes if you'd like to see how it impacts you.

LOL!

If i dont mind it really doesnt matter, but i guess since complaints everything else dont seem to do much good, we gotta complain about something :D

Digitalblack
05-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I agree , just like I dont need to hear that little timmy, the level 3 rogue, found +sir hiding in the bushes passing out candy to underage schoolkids.
Global broadcasts are BS, stop this **** nobody cares.

Madmardigan
05-14-2007, 01:14 AM

go for it dude... i wouldent even notice

Jolani
05-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Three points.

If that DM text bothers you, turn it off, anything important can be found in the general chat if your party can't cover it. I for one don't mind knowing that people are raiding. It gives a sense of community.

Only success should be server-broadcast. I don't need to know that this guild or that guild is learning a raid the hard way, only if they beat it.

The success/fail messeges are not even a fraction as annoying as global messages for sever shutdown or live events. I have 5 chat windows and HATE each beeping at me and filling with bright red text evey couple minutes when the server is shutting down or joe shmoe rolls a 63 and gets a +1 acid guard scalemail. The big text box that appears in the center of my screen for 10 seconds its enough. The difference is like walking through a spider-web and finding a Tarantula in your sock.

boricua_in_cali
05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
//agreed limit it to DM text, in the chat window plz, no need for it to be splashed across my screen like pirate software reminding me to register.

Shecky
05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Let me further illustrate my position on the subject now that I've cooled down a bit.

I play this game for MY enjoyment. I do not find it enjoyable to have text come up on the screen that takes up half of my main window while I am busy attempting to fight something in an instance or navigate traps or make a tricky jump.

I don't play this game to learn about someone else's e-*****. I don't care of they succeeded and their epeen grew a bit, or if they failed and thus it shriveled up a little.

I especially do not care about their gameplay when it negatively impacts my own and causes my own enjoyment of the game in a completely separate and unique instance to diminish. I encourage the Developers to join us on a Sunday evening/Saturday evening and try to do their own important battles while the screen is being filled every 10 minutes or so with the results of someone else's fight.

Imagine how much fun you'll have when you die or miss a jump or target the wrong mob or land in a bad spot while jumping through traps because some genius decided that you needed to be informed across the majority of your screen whether someone succeeded or failed at something.

Been in the middle of a number of dungeons when that bit popped up (and given that these were at peak gaming hours on the most populated server, I'd warrant that I was experiencing them as frequently as anyone out there). The full extent of the impact was that I glanced to see who was running the raid and whether they failed or succeeded (was amused to see that one group failed twice, then succeeded on their third try, all announcements taking place in the space of an hour with others sprinkled in). Didn't bother me a bit - you can click right through the text. In fact, it's far less annoying than even lag mini-spikes. The "negative impact" on the game is negligible. JCav, you might want to consider the possibility that you're overreacting to a great degree.

Jeddak
05-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't mind the messages so much as I dislike the fact that the statement is not true. Nothing world shattering is happening when someone fails. At least spawn a dragon in town each time.

Spectralist
05-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't mind the messages so much as I dislike the fact that the statement is not true. Nothing world shattering is happening when someone fails. At least spawn a dragon in town each time.

Hah. At least then the message would have a point. It's the pointlessness of it that makes it so much more annoying(well and how common it was for the past few weeks, it seems to be fading now though)

JCav
05-23-2007, 03:39 AM
To revisit an earlier point - it is possible for players to trigger the SUCCESS message multiple times for broadcasting across the entire server.

A Turbine DM informed me this was not considered harassment...

Five times in 10 seconds about the same raid group succeeding broadcast across the middle of every player's screen is NOT harassing? Are you #^T*( kidding me?

Way to go Turbine. *thumbs up* Is it going to take 3-4 raid groups all doing this at the same time to every player on the server for you to understand the most basic consequences of your decisions? Would it THEN be harassment? Would you THEN figure out this is an ill-conceived and annoying design decision that nobody wants to see on their screens?

TheSimian
05-23-2007, 03:53 AM
To revisit an earlier point - it is possible for players to trigger the SUCCESS message multiple times for broadcasting across the entire server.

A Turbine DM informed me this was not considered harassment...

Five times in 10 seconds about the same raid group succeeding broadcast across the middle of every player's screen is NOT harassing? Are you #^T*( kidding me?

Way to go Turbine. *thumbs up* Is it going to take 3-4 raid groups all doing this at the same time to every player on the server for you to understand the most basic consequences of your decisions? Would it THEN be harassment? Would you THEN figure out this is an ill-conceived and annoying design decision that nobody wants to see on their screens?

I vote you put together a raid, do this as much as you possibly can and crash their servers in the process. They'll learn from that. You might not be allowed to log back in afterwards, but hey, it's all about sticking it to the man right? :)

Quarks
05-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Sheesh, what's wrong with some of you folks?
On both sides of the fence, may I say!

If you want someone to shut something off for you (e.g. the devs to shut off the DM text) then stating the problem and giving a short explanation on why it bothers you will always bring you further than starting in a childish rant with tons of star'd out words. What happened to civilized communication? I know we're on forums here and things have gone a little out of hand there, but seriously.... that's just stupid, and if I was a dev I'd just forego such rants as rambling of an obviously immature person who shouldn't be on the forum or on the game in the first place.

And on the other side who in the world asked all you elite people who obviously don't have a problem with it to judge about whether someone else's gameplay can or cannot be negatively affected by this??
If someone says they have a problem with something go ahead and state that you don't have a problem with it, but leave others alone. Believe it or not, people know best whether they themselves have a problem with something or if they don't. They don't need you to tell them that they aren't allowed to have a problem with it.

Shecky
05-23-2007, 06:21 AM
And on the other side who in the world asked all you elite people who obviously don't have a problem with it to judge about whether someone else's gameplay can or cannot be negatively affected by this??
If someone says they have a problem with something go ahead and state that you don't have a problem with it, but leave others alone. Believe it or not, people know best whether they themselves have a problem with something or if they don't. They don't need you to tell them that they aren't allowed to have a problem with it.

I'm elite? Wow! Go me!

All joking aside, look at it this way: it's similar to someone complaining that they're "suffering" from not being able to sleep past 10 AM on Saturdays due to the neighbor across the street. Unless they have a medical condition that requires that they sleep past 10 AM on Saturdays, it's a frivolous complaint.

dmitri
05-23-2007, 06:32 AM
OMFG...

This is the most pointless thread I have ever seen...

JCav, stop whining. If you are such a lousy player that this bit of DM text causes you to die or something, then my God man, put some practice in on Kobold Island.

If it is just irritating to you, then learn to deal with it. IT IS A COMMUNITY GAME... if you want a single player experience with no global messaging, then go play NWN 2...

Gee wiz, you'd think it was the end of the world or something...

llevenbaxx
05-23-2007, 07:15 AM
I hope they do get rid of this also. Honestly I could care less who else is doing what in w/e dungeon. Be sides how would we know they failed or didnt? Is this messaging an attempt to make the whole thing seem more "epic"? If so its kinda lost on the third and fourth time the message pops up in a span of 2 minutes. Stop them please.

The_Cataclysm
08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Bumping this because I just started playing the game this week after a long LONG break and I find this INCREDIBLY obnoxious.

I play this game just casually with my friends. I don't give a **** what's going on in raid instances. I'm sure some people do, but at least give me the option to turn this spam off.

There should definitely be an option to keep it just to the chat screen. I'm really tired of it filling up my DM text area when it has squat to do with my quest.

Might want to check the WDA. It has already been announced that it is going away.

Edit: The pirate takes out the necro.

Kirrska
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Bumping this because I just started playing the game this week after a long LONG break and I find this INCREDIBLY obnoxious.

I play this game just casually with my friends. I don't give a **** what's going on in raid instances. I'm sure some people do, but at least give me the option to turn this spam off.

There should definitely be an option to keep it just to the chat screen. I'm really tired of it filling up my DM text area when it has squat to do with my quest.

Gypsy_Mouse
08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Might want to check the WDA. It has already been announced that it is going away.

Not that I am trying to keep a necro'd thread bumped, but that's not quite right.

The Reavers Fate quest will no longer inform players on success via the world broadcast.

There's no mention that it's going away entirely. According to how it's been written, we won't see success announcements.
We still have to deal with failure announcements.

I've already pointed this out in the dev thread, but no one else seems to have picked up on it.

Rilean
08-22-2007, 04:14 AM
How about you all read the mod 5 update thread. as of Mod 5 this message will not appear at all.

Gypsy_Mouse
08-22-2007, 04:58 AM
How about you all read the mod 5 update thread. as of Mod 5 this message will not appear at all.

You seem to need to do some reading, too, as this was a necro'd thread, not a new one. :rolleyes:

I quoted the update and is says success.

As to whether this means only success messages or the obsolete use of "success" simply meaning outcome hasn't been clarified.

If it's all messages, then why is it so difficult to just say "The outcome of the Reaver's Fate quest will no longer announce via the world broadcast"? just to avoid confusion.
I'm not the only one who's commented on the wording.

blakbyrd
08-22-2007, 07:58 AM
The situation is a bit screwed up in my opinion. The original consistent cries to have the annoying message removed was finally acknowledged by Turbine and we are now having it removed from the Reaver Raid, so everyone isnt annoyed by it anymore.

YET, for some stupid reason Turbine really wants that message on the screen. So, they have stated it will not display for the Reaver anymore, but instead it will now be displayed for people completing Sully's Grog quest (the first quest in the game).

It seemed pretty obvious to me that the real problem was the message and its placement to start with, not that it announced anything to do with the Reaver or any other quest. So the solution we get is not having the message removed, but instead just having the message moved to another quest.

It's like pulling into a service station with a flat tire and telling the serviceman "my right front tire is flat, please fix it". An hour later he comes back and tells you, your right front tire is fixed, I swapped it with the left one"...problem is you still have a flat.

Eladrin
08-22-2007, 08:03 AM
We still have to deal with failure announcements.

I've already pointed this out in the dev thread, but no one else seems to have picked up on it.
Neither success nor failure messages will be broadcast as of Mod 5.

StanC
08-22-2007, 08:40 AM
YET, for some stupid reason Turbine really wants that message on the screen. So, they have stated it will not display for the Reaver anymore, but instead it will now be displayed for people completing Sully's Grog quest (the first quest in the game).

That was a joke.

cdbd3rd
08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
That was a joke.
...and would be totally hilarious, for the first hour or so.

fixed it for ya. ;)

ahpook
08-22-2007, 08:49 AM
fixed it for ya. ;)

Actually, seeing blakbyrd complain about it over a week later and after it had already been retracted is pretty funny. ;)

Tanka
08-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Oh thank god.

Yvonne_Blacksword
08-22-2007, 09:01 AM
*snip*
Put it in my general chat...and LEAVE IT THERE. I don't care what is going on with someone else's $15 a month. I care only about what is going on in MY party in MY instance.

<Sigh>

No sense of community! No regard for the achievements of heros!
Does not care if the Stormreaver annihilates us all!

:p
Wait a month...

Ustice
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Why not have this as a separate section in the char log? Like Quest Broadcast? Then you could add/remove it from any of your chat windows.

Dane_McArdy
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
That was a joke.

But then they said that someones idea of restricting a message like that to just city areas, not quests and such, might be useful in helping people get accepted into the community faster.

So what started off as a joke, might just lead to somethng useful.

DrAwkward
08-22-2007, 09:26 AM
But then they said that someones idea of restricting a message like that to just city areas, not quests and such, might be useful in helping people get accepted into the community faster.

So what started off as a joke, might just lead to somethng useful.

I'd think it would be cool if the broadcast was also limited to a logical area. Everyone in the Wavecrest could get the announcement about the tragic death of the Crazy Hobo Drexelhand and his trained Kobold Circus.

Everyone standing around in GiantTown can get the broadcast that the Stormreaver was betrayed and murdered by those sworn to serve him. All the giants standing around can do a /cry.

Whenever Velah bites it, all the dwarves standing outside in house Kundarak can point up at the sky and go "oooooohhh"

Spookydodger
08-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Actually, seeing blakbyrd complain about it over a week later and after it had already been retracted is pretty funny. ;)

Sort of like a litmus test for the Darwin Awards... a qualifying run, if you will.

In_Like_Flynn
08-22-2007, 10:04 AM
No sense of community! No regard for the achievements of heros! ...The message should list all of the heroes involved, not just the party leader. I want a list of the names of the participants, their races, classes and levels, as well as the loot they were awarded. And some stats: average melee damage, number of spells cast, total time in the instance. Yes, give me the works.

Gypsy_Mouse
08-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Eladrin. :D
Might I suggest that this is noted in the Activities OP? As I said, I'm not the only one who has wondered about it.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Eladrin. :D
Might I suggest that this is noted in the Activities OP? As I said, I'm not the only one who has wondered about it.

check the WDA, it states they are removing it... though i guess they should say that failures wont be shown as well, right now they state "success" only.

Hafeal
08-22-2007, 01:13 PM
... they are changing this in Mod 5, right? ;)

The_Cataclysm
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
check the WDA, it states they are removing it... though i guess they should say that failures wont be shown as well, right now they state "success" only.

Yes, Gypsy is asking for what it says in the WDA to be rewritten to reflect the fact that the failure message won't be shown as well.

... they are changing this in Mod 5, right? ;)

Yes, we know, but back when this thread was originally created (a couple months ago) we did not know that.

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, we know, but back when this thread was originally created (a couple months ago) we did not know that.
Well what wierdo decided to necro this thread.;)

The_Cataclysm
08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Well what wierdo decided to necro this thread.;)

Kirrska, but since I don't know the person I don't know if they would be offended that you called them a weirdo.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Kirrska, but since I don't know the person I don't know if they would be offended that you called them a weirdo.

funny, I see you'r post above kirrska's, you ninja'd the necro!

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 01:28 PM

funny, I see you'r post above kirrska's, you ninja'd the necro!
Thats what i was saying.:D

hence the ;)

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Thats what i was saying.:D

hence the ;)

heh, so that means officially, HE necroed the thread cause of that ninja, hehehe. Shame on you Cataclysm

MathGeek
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Oh, and JCav? If, as Mad puts it, two lines of narrow white text that pop up on your screen for a couple of seconds are enough to distract you that much, then... well, I think you might want to take a more introspective approach to problem identification there, and I'll leave it at that. It's got about as much negative impact on your game as a mosquito hitting my windshield at 60 mph.

Hey, for those of us on 640x480 monitors, it takes up most of the screen. ;)

GeneralDiomedes
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
The message should list all of the heroes involved, not just the party leader. I want a list of the names of the participants, their races, classes and levels, as well as the loot they were awarded. And some stats: average melee damage, number of spells cast, total time in the instance. Yes, give me the works.

Why not give it its own message type so we can filter it out if we want to as well. Lose the middle of the screen big letters, put it in your chat window.