PDA

View Full Version : Why it important to have a good leader?

silverraven
05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
My title will become evident towards the end of my story and names have been omitted as I'd rank this as one of my worst experiences. Feel free to add your own experiences to my little thread.

Once upon a time there was a guy named Fred, who wanted to run the VON series with a guildie and joined a group. They ran the first two pretty easy until disaster struck in VON 3.

One of the tanks died, did not rez, nor did they respond to any of the group. Undaunted the party continued on and defeated all the beholders with a five man team and the help of Cloud-Kill. As they neared the end they hit the proverbial wall when a number of drow gave them a whooping. For those of you who have run VON you know the area to which I refer by the shrine. They made it to the shrine but couldn't rez due to a drow patrol. A Dimensional Door was used to transport them to the beginning and two of the party recalled out(the Wizard and the Cleric) for spell points and to replace their errant colleague.

It was at this time the leader made a HUGE mistake; inviting a tank with the capability to kill and the level to Power level:eek:. For those of you who have died a few times on high level you know that the XP penality can reach the thousands, and as was the case with this party they relied on the huge XP available on VON 3 (10,000+), to even things out. The leader did this without asking anybody and caused moral to plummet.

The three heroes fought their way through trolls, towards the entrance to VON3 with little difficulty. As the trio were zoning to the instance, one of there party members decided that they were unhappy with the situation and bailed. :confused: Thereby denying the party the ability the get a replacement and thus forcing them to not only fight as five, but for nothing as they were being power leveled.

As we approached the end area, I happened to fall into the area that had enough creatures to pose a problem for me, but only a little for a few of us. After I died I was taken to the shrine by my guildie and we proceeded to the boss fight and were at last victorious with only one casualty, my guild mate. "I'm taking him to the shrine," I exclaimed. (No-one bothered to mention that the place was now lined with elementals)

All told I had 4k XP debt, empty of wands, and a massive Migraine. The point of this story is to highlight this: It is the leader's responsibility to keep moral up in the face of adversity and to always get the party's permission before getting them power leveled. :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't solely the party leader's fault, as people were bailing across the board, but it didn't help the cause that he power-leveled everybody and defeated the purpose of sticking together through a tough quest with a massive XP debt.

Thank you for listening, and please tell me of your own worst experiences... BTW did I mention that the quest took 198mins?( 3 hours and 18 minutes for VON 3 and 6 hours for VON 1 thru 3)

Lorein_Azura_Childs
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
At some point people have to realize they should just restart the quest/instance. It takes less time than re-entering repeatedly and if your with a decent group you will actually take less time to get back on track.
XP debt, while at the time may seem like a big deal, is not; however on that note, if the debt and the xp gained dont equal out then you may as well restart if XP is your goal.

You probably heard someone say "Were almost there, cmon guys!" :D

rockcrown
05-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Sounds like your party leader wanted to cut his losses and just get the quest over with. This quest should never take you 4 hours to complete. It was still uncool that he did not consult the party before bringing in a ringer (power lvl toon).

I strongly agree with the need for a good party leader, however when joining a PUG, you are rolling the dice. :/

Tiblorian
05-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Considering good tanks solo that in a quarter of the time, id cut my losses and bail.

silverraven
05-09-2007, 08:10 AM
At some point people have to realize they should just restart the quest/instance. It takes less time than re-entering repeatedly and if your with a decent group you will actually take less time to get back on track.
XP debt, while at the time may seem like a big deal, is not; however on that note, if the debt and the xp gained dont equal out then you may as well restart if XP is your goal.

You probably heard someone say "Were almost there, cmon guys!" :D

What good would starting the quest over? We were at the end and the reason we lost the XP was because of the power level, if the power level hadn't occurred we would have gotten 10k+ to balance out the loss. With a like level person joining us we could have been victorious, with five people we just got by using good team work.

Up until the power level it was a great group, we stuck together though a tough experience and almost came out on top --- The shocking part was that with one bad decision the party leader essentially rendered 3+ hours useless by inviting a high level and power leveling us.

Besides that I just wanted to share my experience with "the World" and my guildies, because it was a marathon which went sour and was a pretty impressive experioence.

~Jules921
05-12-2007, 07:44 AM
... Up until the power level it was a great group, we stuck together though a tough experience and almost came out on top --- The shocking part was that with one bad decision the party leader essentially rendered 3+ hours useless by inviting a high level and power leveling us.

I understand the XP Hit. When I'm leading, I do try to match the average level of the group. If there is a big discrepancy, either above or below, I ask for other opinions. My basic criteria is between 2 or 3 levels between the high and low.

Yesterday ran STK with my Fighter, Tarma, she started as a lvl 4 and the highest in the group was a pair of level 6's. I ended up getting to lvl 5 when we were done. We ran it on elite and it was close a couple of times - total party wipes - running out of manna and such. But I must say that only 1 person died in the final boss fight, which to me was impressive. I'm been in there and had total party wipes multiple times. All in all it was a good pug and adventure

Jules