I do a lot of 'what-if' builds and have used Ron's character planner extensively in the past for this. Also, over on www.housetharashk.net, for a while, we were hosting build challenges (of the make a build that can do A, B and C type).
After using Ron's tool for a while, I started laying out my skills in a simple spreadsheet to make it easier to calculate out the full potential of a character given full buffs, feats, tools, etc.
Over time, this grew to include AC, to-hit and saves. Then I started automating things (such as, if I have 6 levels of paladin and 3 levels of fighter, then the saves automatically tally up).
Today, negative commented 'wouldn't it be nice if someone had a spreadsheet that tallied up all of your skills' in cforce's rogue skills thread -- so, I figured I would provide what I use to the community.
This spreadsheet is a work in progress, but as of this writing, it does the following:
- Calculates build points spent, final abilty mods with items, tomes, enhancements, buffs, levels, etc.
- Calculates saves with class levels, enhancements, inherent bonuses, feats and buffs.
- Calculates AC from armor worn, max dex of both the armor and your character
- Does not automatically factor in Fighters Armor Mastery or Dwarven Armor Mastery (yet)
- Also does not factor in additional max-dex from Defender of Siberys or Stalwart Defender
- Calculates max hit points from class, constitution, buffs and false-life items
- Calculates to-hit from input BAB, +5 weapon, feats and buffs
- Calculates skills from points spent, ability modifier, racial bonuses, feats spent, enhancements (manually entered at this time), items, tools and buffs.
http://download.skullreaver.net/build_template.xlsx (this is a ~237kb Excel 2007 spreadsheet)
simply copy the template sheet to a new sheet
- select a 28-point or 32-point build (A2)
- select race (A3)
- select Alignment (B4)
- allocate build points in G2-G7 until G8=0
- Choose classes in AA2-AA21 (future class choices can be listed as f-ftr for fighter to simulate a future level)
- Choose feats (AD2-AE21 and AF2:3) - blue lines in column AD are normal feats. Column AE is for fighter, wizard, ranger, favored soul and rogue feats. Cell AF1 is for the Human Bonus Feat at lvl1 and cell AF2 is for the Half-Elven Dilettante feat (These are restricted fields)
- Select Armor, Shield and Power Item (AE24, AE26 & AE28) - this will finish populating AC (except for enhancements) and spell points
- Select Enhancements -- this is best done by initially using one of the other offline enhancement tools - either Ron's tool, or JJFlanigans tool (http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88918) because I don't enforce much of anything here yet
- Adjust buffs and items in the various sections as needed..
Please note that as of v2.0.0, I do not have all of the PrE bonuses implemented (notably, only the Fighter Kensei's power surge is implemented at this time).
Let me know if you find anything broken or rule-breaking - most of what's in here is based solely on my knowledge of the game, so I'm sure there are still stacking errors somewhere
IMPORTANT NOTE: OpenOffice.org Calc now supports cell validation, removing the last hitch that I know of for using this tool in that product.