Default Past Life Revamp

Currently, there are some heroic past lives that are so good they are almost mandatory for certain builds, like Wizard for any primary caster. There are others that are so bad, or so locked into certain character styles, that you only pick them if you wish to go for Completionist, like Druid.

In addition, those allow you to choose an epic past life feat to improve the passive past life feat even more. However, again, most of those are never chosen, because their power do not match other feats, and can't be used to cover pre-requisites other similar feats handle, like Barbarian PL and Toughness.

My intention with this revamp suggestion is to remove some power creep in the "too good" passive PL feats, make the actives of more value (and those can be on the "too good" category, since they still requires a feat slot), and implementing some of the new stats we got since the implementation of Reincarnation.

As usual, all passive past life feats can stack three times. All active past life feats can be taken starting from level 3.

In Alphabetical order:

Artificer: You were an Artificer in a past life. You occasionally find yourself tinkering with your gear.
    • Passive Past Life: You used to be a great student of the nature of mechanical and magic items in your past life. You gain a +1 bonus to UMD and all Int-based skills (Disable Device, Repair, Spellcraft, Search). You receive a +5 bonus to Repair and Rust Spell Power.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember the intricacies of a very specific mechanism from your past life. You gain Runearm Proficiency, and can use it as if you were a level 2 Artificer.

Barbarian: You were a Barbarian in a past life. You occasionally find yourself filled with a nearly irresistible urge to smash boxes.
    • Passive Past Life: You used to very very tough in your past life. You receive +1 HP per character level and your range of unconsciousness extends by 10 points.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember the ferocity that you used to wield in combat in your past life. You gain a +3 primal bonus to Melee Power, and can enter a Barbarian Rage twice per rest (+2 Rage bonus to Str/Con, +1 Rage bonus to Will, -2 to AC).

Bard: You were a Bard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself humming a merry tune.
    • Passive Past Life: You used to have an active social life in a past life. You receive a +5 bonus to Sonic Spell Power and a +1 bonus to all Cha-based skills, except UMD (Bluff, Diplomacy, Haggle, Intimidate, Perform). If you have access to bard songs, you receive +1 song per rest.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember some magic songs from your past life. You can use Inspire Courage and Fascinate as if you were a level 1 Bard.

Cleric: You were a Cleric in a past life. You occasionally feel the presence of the divine.
    • Passive Past Life: You was a fervorous devotee in your past life. You receive a +5 bonus to Positive and Negative Spell Power, and a +1 bonus to Heal. If you have the ability to Turn Undead, then you also gain an additional use of that ability, and you Turn as if you were two class levels higher.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember your divine teaching from your past life. You gain the ability to use Turn Undead as if you were a cleric of your character level, but your Turns can never instantly destroy an undead even if they are much weaker than you. You can use scrolls and wands as if you were a level 1 Cleric.

Druid: You were a Druid in a past life. You occasionally find yourself gazing at the stars and get sentimental around mistletoe.
    • Passive Past Life: You had a link with mother nature in a past life. Your summons, hirelings, pets and charmed monsters gain +2 to all ability scores. In addition, summoned creatures and pets gain +10 PRR/MRR, +10% Fortification, +20 Positive/Negative/Repair Healing Amplification, +20 Spell Power, and +2% Doublestrike and Doubleshot.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember how you connected to the primal powers in your past life. You gain a +5 Primal Bonus to all elemental resistances. Your summons, hirelings and pets will gain +10 Primal bonus to all elemental resistances (raises to 20 at level 12, 30 at level 18, 40 at level 24, and 50 at level 30), +100 Melee/Ranged Power, and +300 Spell Power.
    • (Copied from my Summon Pass thread)

Favored Soul: You were a Favored Soul in a past life. You occasionally find yourself wishing to leap off of tall things.
    • Passive Past Life: You had a direct link with a deity in a past life. You receive a +5 bonus to Force and Light Spell Power.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember your divine power to guide your powers towards the deity's enemies from your past life. You gain a +4 bonus to bypass Spell Resistance. This feat do not stack with the Spell Penetration feat, and can be used in place of it to qualify for pre-requisites (Eg, for Greater Spell Penetration). You can use Close Wounds as a Spell-like ability for 1 SP (Cooldown: 3 seconds).

Fighter: You were a Fighter in a past life. You occasionally find yourself filled with the urge to bark orders to your fellows in combat.
    • Passive Past Life: You was a great warrior in a past life. You receive a +1 bonus to hit, and a +1 bonus to the DC of your Tactical abilities.
    • Past Life Feat:You remember the training you had in a previous life. You gain proficiency with all Simple and Martial weapons (including Dwarven Axe, if you are a Dwarf), Shields (but not Tower Shields), Light Armor, and Medium Armor.

Monk: You were a Monk in a past life. You occasionally find yourself contemplating the mysteries of life.
    • Passive Past Life: You used to be in harmony with yourself in a part life. You deal +1 damage with weapon attacks (+2 damage with Unarmed, Kama, Shuriken, Quarterstaff). You receive a +1 bonus to Balance, Jump, Swim and Tumble.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember part of your martial training from your past life. You gain the Unarmed Strike and Flurry of Blows feats as if you were a level 1 Monk.

Paladin: You were a Paladin in a past life. You occasionally find yourself overcome with righteous fervor.
    • Passive Past Life: You used to defy evil in a past life. You gain +10 bonus to Positive, Repair, and Negative Healing Amplification.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember the divine power you used to fight evil in your past life. You gain the Smite Evil feat and can use it as a paladin equal your character level. You gain a +4 bonus to saves against Fear and Diseases, and no longer automatically fail on those saves when you roll a natural 1.

Ranger: You were a Ranger in a past life. You occasionally find small animals in your backpack.
    • Passive Past Life: You used to be in the wild in a past life. You receive a +1 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, Listen and Spot. You move 10% faster while sneaking.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember some weapon prowness from your past life. You receive +3 primal bonus to Ranged Power, and the benefits of Two-Weapon Fighting and Rapid Shot feats, and this feat can be used in place of those to qualify for pre-requisites (Eg, for Two-Weapon Defense or Manyshot).

Rogue: You were a Rogue in a past life. You occasionally find yourself looking over your shoulder.
    • Passive Past Life: You stalked in the shadows in a past life. You receive +1 to hit with a sneak attack, and +1 sneak attack damage. You also receive a +1 bonus to your AC and Reflex save against traps.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember how natural you were to traps in your past life. You gain the Evasion feat and +1d6 sneak attack damage.

Sorcerer: You were a Sorcerer in a past life. You occasionally find yourself daydreaming of dragons.
    • Passive Past Life: You manipulated the elements in a past life as if they were your second nature. You receive a +5 bonus to Acid, Cold, Electric, and Fire Spell Power.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember how natural casting spell were for you in your past life. You receive the benefits of the Eschew Materials Metamagic Feat without any extra SP cost. You also gain +150 Spell Points, and your Echoes of Power can regenerate up to 20 Spell Points (You gain the ability Echoes of Power if you don't have the Magical Training feat).

Wizard: You were a Wizard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself desiring a good book.
    • Passive Past Life: You wielded great arcane power in a past life. You receive a +3 bonus to Universal Spell Power and +1 bonus to Concentration.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember how much you studied spell theories in your past life. You receive a +1 bonus to all your Spell DCs. This feat do not stack with the Spell Focus feat, and can be used in place of any other Spell Focus feat to qualify for pre-requisites (Eg, for Greater Spell Focus). You can use scrolls and wands as if you were a level 1 Wizard.

NEW Warlock: You were a Warlock in a past life. You occasionally find yourself making reckless promises.
    • Passive Past Life: You had great magic resistance in a past life. You receive a +3 bonus to Magical Resistance rating.
    • Past Life Feat: You remember how you manipulated raw magic energy in your past life. You can use Eldritch Blast as if you were a Level 1 Warlock.
    Last edited by nibel; 05-24-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

in the bowels of the C/A/S iTyrant Seas - Kraken Class

I agree - past life feats should have an update pass, but disagree on allowing anyone who doesn't have two levels of Artificer to be able to equip, much less use, a runearm. (As much as I would like to use it sometimes myself)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    I agree - past life feats should have an update pass, but disagree on allowing anyone who doesn't have two levels of Artificer to be able to equip, much less use, a runearm. (As much as I would like to use it sometimes myself)
    Agreed. I feel the same about being able to gain evasion through a past life. That is way too good of a feat to be able to have without the necessary class/levels. I would replace this with perhaps +2% inherent bonus to dodge and +4 to all saves vs. traps.

As the devs go up the class list revamp, it would have been a good opportunity to also include the past lives. I don't think bard, rogue, paladin and barbarian really need an update. They are still pretty good, but certainly not against adding it as an aside discussion during the whatever the next class update is.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

At a quick glance the rogue active past life is way way way to,powerful no evasion gained that easily and the artie active life is a bit much as well

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well presented ideas.

Some I disagree with and/or are unsure about if it would really be an upgrade...

FvS - So I'd trade 3 Spell which stacks that doesn't cost a feat for 4 spell pen that doesn't stack and costs a feat. Feels like a bad change to me.

Fighter - Active feat still not really worth taking IMO. Prof can be gained in weapons with MT scrolls if needed and armor can be found in some enhancements as well as just taking that feat. Seems a luxury feat at best. I agree Ftr PL active should be better, but I don't think this is it.

Monk - Active feat would be a DPS loss for monks and wouldn't be much use to anyone else. Anyone that would fight unarmed would splash monk for the other goodies (stances, ki strikes, etc). Not on board with this change.

Paladin - Active feat...is trading a 3/rest use of DF for one smite/rest an upgrade? It doesn't seem like it to me.

Wizard - Passive trading up to 6 spell pen (that stacks) for 9 SP and 3 concentration is not at all worth it to me. Active so in most cases this would be a loss of DCs.

I like your effort and the presentation, but most of these are worse than what we have now. It is especially harmful to more feat starved DC casters.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

I think general feats need upgrading before past life feats. Most feats are irrelevant to any but those building for flavor or wanting to role play. Epic levels and EDs have added so much power to the character that most of the passive stacking feats are worthless or so minor they aren't even noticed. Wizard is the only one that really stands out now. I'd leave them as is because they can't be changed without people complaining about power creep. Basically your argument is wizard past life is so much better than everything else we either need to nerf that or make all the other ones equally powerful. I am against nerfing anything, so that means making all the others more powerful. But where do you stop? The +3 damage from 3 monk lives is nothing now when base weapon damage goes up and over 50. So do you make it +15 damage for 3 lives? The +3 tactical DCs of Fighter is useless because it can't get you high enough for EE DC anyway. Do you want to replace it with something like +5 melee power each life? 30 HPs from Barb is nothing when Barbs have over 1500 HPs in game now. Increase it to +50 HPs per Barb life? And then what do these increases to do heroic play? Unfortunately, like spells, character class abilities that require a save or DC check and summons, heroic PLs largely became irrelevant when epic play was introduced.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

In general, I tried to tone down the passive feats. Especially the ones that still work within the d20 (Spell DCs and Spell Pen). The active ones were toned up either by giving a class feature or making an improved version of an already-existing feat (allowing use the PL as requisite).

They will be charging it as a level 2 artificer, and will have zero access to Battle engineer, making building charges difficult, and even then, the damage is almost irrelevant.

On the other hand, it opens more options for crossbow builds, and some single weapon builds. Being a past life instead of a general feat means you have access to the artificer class (thus not "hurting" artificer sales).

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    At a quick glance the rogue active past life is way way way to,powerful no evasion gained that easily and the artie active life is a bit much as well
    Quote Originally Posted by vystal View Post
    Agreed. I feel the same about being able to gain evasion through a past life. That is way too good of a feat to be able to have without the necessary class/levels.
    Since the implementation of MRR, Evasion lost a lot of power, comparatively speaking. It will still have the armor/shield limitations, and might open more build possibilities: Do you value 2 class levels more than a feat?

An alternative would be granting Uncanny Dodge instead of Evasion. Or maybe both, with evasion only being active at the same time of UD, so that you have to manage the downtime.
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Default enough with the power creep

I totally disagree with the OP.

There is more than enough power creep in the game already. Making PL feasts (the old ones) even MORE powerful is just...plain....power creep. No need for it.

And as a closing note, if it is not broke, do NOT fix it! I would think that there are much better things to be spending dev time on:

1. More content
    2. fixing bugs

Note how "add more power creep features" is no in the list?
    RTFM, DOOF, and MACHINATION on Khyber. Guild: Toy Soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    I totally disagree with the OP.

There is more than enough power creep in the game already. Making PL feasts (the old ones) even MORE powerful is just...plain....power creep. No need for it.

And as a closing note, if it is not broke, do NOT fix it! I would think that there are much better things to be spending dev time on:

1. More content
    2. fixing bugs

Note how "add more power creep features" is no in the list?
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Some I disagree with and/or are unsure about if it would really be an upgrade...
    It is always an upgrade. Some of them are not a buff (like most caster PL). I think the free +9 Spell Pen from past life only was too huge of a bonus. Right now people are not feeling it much because current endgame have almost nothing with SR, but when MotU was endgame, every caster build "had to have" those six past lives if they ever dreamed of breaking the EE drow SR.

Regarding Spell DC, and at the worst, people will be losing 4 DC (3 from evo/conj, 1 from wiz active). While obviously a nerf, I don't think the DC loss will be that problematic.

Fighter - Active feat still not really worth taking IMO. Prof can be gained in weapons with MT scrolls if needed and armor can be found in some enhancements as well as just taking that feat. Seems a luxury feat at best. I agree Ftr PL active should be better, but I don't think this is it.
    I was thinking about adding Heavy Armor and Tower Shield as well on the package (to mimic my Half-Elf dilettante) for a single feat, but I was unsure if it would be too much.

Monk - Active feat would be a DPS loss for monks and wouldn't be much use to anyone else. Anyone that would fight unarmed would splash monk for the other goodies (stances, ki strikes, etc). Not on board with this change.
    It would open some build options unaccessible right now, like an unarmed barbarian or bard. It is there mostly to give some options instead of just feeling like a monk DPS bonus like the current one is.

I was one step of putting the Evasion feat here instead of the Rogue active PL (also to mimic my Half-Elf dilettante).

Paladin - Active feat...is trading a 3/rest use of DF for one smite/rest an upgrade? It doesn't seem like it to me.
    I have a Smite evil suggestion on the oven, but even considering current mechanics, it would still recharge every 90 seconds, so it is not strictly 1/rest.

Most of these are WAY overpowered. Take a feat to get evasion? Uh, NO.

The only changes I seriously see for past life feats would be to change Bard to give +1 enchantment DC's instead of the silly and pointless +2 to saves vs. enchantments and illusions. And to double the healing amp granted by Paladin past lives the way all the other healing amp in the game got doubled. :P

The rest of them are fairly solid, though. TRing doesn't actually need to have huge rewards. People ultimately TR because they enjoy it and it lets them keep the characters they love alive instead of sitting at 28 with nothing much to do.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    It is always an upgrade. Some of them are not a buff (like most caster PL). I think the free +9 Spell Pen from past life only was too huge of a bonus. Right now people are not feeling it much because current endgame have almost nothing with SR, but when MotU was endgame, every caster build "had to have" those six past lives if they ever dreamed of breaking the EE drow SR.

Regarding Spell DC, and at the worst, people will be losing 4 DC (3 from evo/conj, 1 from wiz active). While obviously a nerf, I don't think the DC loss will be that problematic.

I was thinking about adding Heavy Armor and Tower Shield as well on the package (to mimic my Half-Elf dilettante) for a single feat, but I was unsure if it would be too much.

It would open some build options unaccessible right now, like an unarmed barbarian or bard. It is there mostly to give some options instead of just feeling like a monk DPS bonus like the current one is.

I was one step of putting the Evasion feat here instead of the Rogue active PL (also to mimic my Half-Elf dilettante).

I have a Smite evil suggestion on the oven, but even considering current mechanics, it would still recharge every 90 seconds, so it is not strictly 1/rest.
    Regarding Spell Pen. It is a lot of stacking spell pen, but it is 6 Past Lives to get it! And sure at current some folks are noticing it, but with Epic Vale and Shavrath on deck the need for high Spell Pen could very well be making a come back. Not on board with changing this.

Regarding DCs. Losing 4 Evo DC is a harsh blow to Divine DC casters. Really not on board with changing this.

Regarding monk feat. I am sorry but no. Opening up the option for Bards and Barbarians to do subpar DPS while unarmed all the while further gimping unarmed monks? No thank you.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Regarding monk feat. I am sorry but no. Opening up the option for Bards and Barbarians to do subpar DPS while unarmed all the while further gimping unarmed monks? No thank you.
    Subpar? probably but, have you seen barbarian and monk dps after enhancement tree updates? a unarmed frenzied barb (on GMoF) outdps a monk atm. Silly at is, would be fun as hell.

Of the active feats i think this one is ok. Evasion permanently via a feat? its too much imo. giving uncanny dodge and evasion being acive only when uncany is seems way more reasonably for me. Its nearly the same as the actual feat but provides a minor dodge boost to armored toons who take it.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

no to evasion.

no to melee power.

no to so much power to summons being added to a past life feat.

no to gimping my will save by nerfing bard passive feat.