Default New Ranger spells

All taken from Spell Compendium, slightly adapted to DDO environment.

Alternatively, I would also ask for the devs to make the Ranger spells Dex-based instead of Wis-based. This would help with all spells they can cast that have a DC, and currently are very much useless.

"Melee Spell" means you must be holding a melee weapon and the spell is valid for one attack (like the "animal spell" from druids).
    "Ranged Spell" means you must be wielding a ranged weapon, and the spell is valid for one attack.
    "Long Duration" means 1 minute per caster level, standard buff time.
    "Short Duration" means 30 seconds, plus 6 seconds per caster level, like Haste or Displacement.
    "Charge Spell" means the spell will last until it is triggered, then disappear, like Protection from Energy or Stoneskin.
    "Self Only" means the spell can only be cast upon yourself. If not noted, and not an weapon attack spell, you can cast it on party members.

Level 1

• Blades of Fire: Melee Spell. Deal extra 1d8 fire damage (scales with 200% Melee Power), and the target gets 3 stacks of Inferno (like AA's Inferno Shot)
    • Claws of the Bear: Long Duration, Self Only. Your unarmed attacks deal 1d8 slashing damage instead of 1d6 bludgeoning damage. (If not possible by code, then add Slashing and deal +0.5[W] damage on unarmed)
    • Hunter's Mercy: Charge Spell, Self Only. Next time you deal a critical hit, you trigger a Vorpal effect on the target.
    • Sniper's Shot: Short Duration, Self Only. Your Ranged Sneak Attack range raises by 15 meters (~50 ft)
    • Vine Strike: Long Duration. The target can deal sneak attack damage on plant creatures. It still have to bypass their natural fortification.

Level 2

• Exacting Shot: Long Duration, Self Only. All rolls made to confirm critical threats against favored enemies automatically succeed.
    • Bane Weapon: Long Duration, Self Only. Your weapon gain the Bane property against one of your favored enemies, dealing +2d6 damage against them. This scales with Melee Power. (Spell gives a list, can only cast what you have as a FE)
    • Resist Alignment: Long Duration. You are immune to alignment damage (Holy, Unholy, Axiomatic, Anarchic) because you are always considered to be of the alignment immune to this effect.
    • Tremorsense: Long Duration, Self Only. You can notice any hidden or invisible enemy in a 9 meters (30 ft) radius.

Level 3

• Arrow Storm: Ranged Spell. You make a ranged attack (+2[W] damage) against every enemy in a very large area. (Copy the "Rain of Arrows" epic moment, just make it last for a single second, and hit everything in the area)
    • Blade Storm: Melee Spell. You make a cleave attack (+2[W] damage) with your main hand and off-hand weapon. (unlike normal cleaves, who deal only mainhand damage)
    • Rhino Rush: Melee Spell. You charge forward ("wings" animation) and any enemy in your path is hit by your mainhand weapon (+3[W] damage) and is knocked prone for 3 seconds. (Moved from originally level 1 to increase its power and not give "wing-like" movement at very low levels)
    • Water Walk: Short Duration. As long as you keep moving, you can treat water as if it is solid ground. (Get the code from the old Ninja Spy enhancement. This one is actually a SRD spell)

Level 4

• Foebane: Long Duration, Self Only. Your weapon gain the Epic Bane property against one of your favored enemies, dealing +6d6 damage against them. This scales with 200% Melee Power. (Spell gives a list, can only cast what you have as a FE, do not stack with Bane Weapon spell)
    • Planar Tolerance: Long Duration. Like Resist Alignment, but you are also immune to Alignment spells (Holy Word, Unholy Blight, Order's Wrath, Chaos Hammer, Word of Balance).
    • Snakebite: Charge Spell, Self Only. Your next attack is imbued with a powerful venom and on hit, will make the target takes 3d6 strength, dexterity and constitution damage, and make them sleep for 12 seconds. (Fortitude save negates the sleep)
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Some really need spell ideas, but def couldn't support Dex-to-DCs for spells.

Claws of the Bear, Bane Weapon, Arrow Storm, and Foebane especially sound cool
    LuKaSu's DDO Wishlist.
    Turbine, Thanks for a super-fun game!

These spells are nice, but imo they need a bit of tweaking: as is, they're way too strong later, and a bit strange otherwise

I'd like to propose a couple of tweaks in Red

The melee power scaling for everything seems a bit... overdone, but besides that.

Level 1

• Blades of Fire: Melee Spell. Deal extra 1d8 fire damage (scales with 200% Melee Power), and the target gets 3 stacks of Inferno (like AA's Inferno Shot)

Completely fine as is

• Claws of the Bear: Long Duration, Self Only. Your unarmed attacks deal 1d8 slashing damage instead of 1d6 bludgeoning damage. (If not possible by code, then add Slashing and deal +0.5[W] damage on unarmed)

Completely fine

• Hunter's Mercy: Charge Spell, Self Only. Next time you deal a critical hit, you trigger a Vorpal effect on the target.

Bit strong, but otherwise fine, i'd probably change it to next natural 20 kills any target with less than 1k hp, or does 100 extra untyped damage. this would take effect AFTER a regular vorpal. (2 vorpals = 200 untyped damage)

• Sniper's Shot: Short Duration, Self Only. Your Ranged Sneak Attack range raises by 15 meters (~50 ft)

Make it long duration.

• Vine Strike: Long Duration. The target can deal sneak attack damage on plant creatures. It still have to bypass their natural fortification.

Interesting. Too bad there's not too many plant creatures in the game.

Level 2

• Exacting Shot: Long Duration, Self Only. All rolls made to confirm critical threats against favored enemies automatically succeed.

Bit weak: I'd add a to-hit bonus against favored enemies. Maybe +4.

• Bane Weapon: Long Duration, Self Only. Your weapon gain the Bane property against one of your favored enemies, dealing +2d6 damage against them. This scales with Melee Power. (Spell gives a list, can only cast what you have as a FE)

Change to lesser bane (1d6), make it a weapon enchantment so you can't stack holy sword with it, and make it effect EVERYTHING on your favored enemy list. Scaling with Melee Power is okay.

• Resist Alignment: Long Duration. You are immune to alignment damage (Holy, Unholy, Axiomatic, Anarchic) because you are always considered to be of the alignment immune to this effect.

Doubt anyone would would actually use it. As is, it'd make you immune to being hit by an unholy sword's sword part, because it's unholy. I'd instead change it to "You are treated as neutral for the purposes of all harmful effects."

• Tremorsense: Long Duration, Self Only. You can notice any hidden or invisible enemy in a 9 meters (30 ft) radius.

Listen + 40?

Level 3

• Arrow Storm: Ranged Spell. You make a ranged attack (+2[W] damage) against every enemy in a very large area. (Copy the "Rain of Arrows" epic moment, just make it last for a single second, and hit everything in the area)

AOE bow attack. Me likey.

• Blade Storm: Melee Spell. You make a cleave attack (+2[W] damage) with your main hand and off-hand weapon. (unlike normal cleaves, who deal only mainhand damage)

Cleaves for ranger. I'd use this.

• Rhino Rush: Melee Spell. You charge forward ("wings" animation) and any enemy in your path is hit by your mainhand weapon (+3[W] damage) and is knocked prone for 3 seconds. (Moved from originally level 1 to increase its power and not give "wing-like" movement at very low levels)

... Everyone gets a dash now? I don't think rangers should get this.

• Water Walk: Short Duration. As long as you keep moving, you can treat water as if it is solid ground. (Get the code from the old Ninja Spy enhancement. This one is actually a SRD spell)

I see no reason not to add this, but no reason to do so either.

Level 4

• Foebane: Long Duration, Self Only. Your weapon gain the Epic Bane property against one of your favored enemies, dealing +6d6 damage against them. This scales with 200% Melee Power. (Spell gives a list, can only cast what you have as a FE, do not stack with Bane Weapon spell)

... Epic. Bane. that scales with Melee Power? I'd change it to greater bane (3d6), make it a weapon enchantment so you can't stack it with holy sword or bane weapon, and make it hit everything on your favored enemy list.

• Planar Tolerance: Long Duration. Like Resist Alignment, but you are also immune to Alignment spells (Holy Word, Unholy Blight, Order's Wrath, Chaos Hammer, Word of Balance).

I'd add DR 20/unaligned. (scales with 200% melee power) in other words, you take 20 less damage from any holy, unholy, axiomatic, or chaotic weapon, but weapons without those tags go through it.

• Snakebite: Charge Spell, Self Only. Your next attack is imbued with a powerful venom and on hit, will make the target takes 3d6 strength, dexterity and constitution damage, and make them sleep for 12 seconds. (Fortitude save negates the sleep)

That's... a bit broken. I'd say 2d6 for each stat, and make them sleep for 6 seconds.
    [/QUOTE]

That's just my two cents. IMO having a scaling epic bane would cause... problems.

Default Good. Re: rush abilities

Nice work. I like all of it

The one thing I'd add is that I do agree that the abundant step ability (Rhino Rush) should probably have a Cannith Boots of Propulsion cooldown (long) to balanced.

Theoretical comparison:
    Rhino Rush (ranger 11, cost sp, 5 min cd)

Cannith Boots of Propulsion (charlvl 18, 10 min cd)
    Abundant Step (monk 12, cost ki, 3s cd)
    Shield Charge (charlvl 12, no sp cost, fgt/pal 5, T5, cooldown?)
    Vault (", ", rog5, ", 15s cd)
    Wind Dance (", 10 sp, sor5, T5, 3s cd)
    Leap of Faith (favored soul 17, 10sp, 2s cd)
    Character Compendium

[QUOTE=doubledge;5559091]
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledge View Post

Bit strong, but otherwise fine, i'd probably change it to next natural 20 kills any target with less than 1k hp, or does 100 extra untyped damage. this would take effect AFTER a regular vorpal. (2 vorpals = 200 untyped damage)
    It is strong, but have a lot of conditionals. You can't trust to just cast it and eliminate a trash mob, because it still requires a crit. You can't just cast it and forget, because being a "charge" spell will make it vanish after the first crit (and rangers crit a lot if TWF). The only advantage it have is against bosses, that will requires you to keep recasting it over and over, and at some point when you level up, you just end up having more DPS maintaining your attack chain than stopping for a second to cast the buff. By that point, requiring a vorpal hit would just be too much.

That is also why I didn't raised the spell level to 2 or 3 (where rangers actually need more spell options).

Make it long duration.
    The use of extra sneak range is very situational. Deepwood Stalker already raises the sneak ranged permanently. Also, rangers (unlike every other caster) don't have any short-duration buff in their list. I was working with something situational. Changing it to a long duration buff will just mean an extra spell cast as soon as you enter the quest even if you don't need it, like wild instincts and camouflage.

Change to lesser bane (1d6), make it a weapon enchantment so you can't stack holy sword with it, and make it effect EVERYTHING on your favored enemy list. Scaling with Melee Power is okay.

... Epic. Bane. that scales with Melee Power? I'd change it to greater bane (3d6), make it a weapon enchantment so you can't stack it with holy sword or bane weapon, and make it hit everything on your favored enemy list.
    In case it wasn't clear, both those spells are supposed to be weapon buffs, like Insightful Damage and Holy Sword. Also, they can't stack with Holy Sword because HS requires 14 paladin levels, and Bane Weapon requires 8 ranger levels (also 14 for Foebane).

6d6 scaling with Melee Power feel too strong, but then it must compete with Holy Sword (they are buff weapon imbue 4th-level effects in a melee-casting class). The limitation of the buff going into a single FE was mostly because I doubt the way FE is coded, we can make the spell be selective of their target based on which FE you have. I'm not sure even if it is possible for the list to exist and only be cast-able the versions of FE you have, but that is a dev problem. I'm just throwing ideas.

Doubt anyone would would actually use it. As is, it'd make you immune to being hit by an unholy sword's sword part, because it's unholy. I'd instead change it to "You are treated as neutral for the purposes of all harmful effects."
    That is why it is a long duration spell, and can be cast on others. In some very specific quests, this spell might be useful, like when facing Lailat or doing Wiz-King. (all those skeletons with pure evil bows, that DO damage to neutral characters)

Listen + 40?
    No, no listen. Listen is a Ranger class skill, and Wild Instincts already give +10 Listen. The idea is making it like a glitterdust aura, except without the blinding part. If you have seen a hidden mob run through glitterdust, you will understand.

... Everyone gets a dash now? I don't think rangers should get this.
    I think it is balanced. You need ranger 11 to get a slot for this spell (probably 12, because you might want Cure Moderate first), since it is also an attack, it can have normal SP costs (20 SP is expensive for rangers), and add to that a 10-20 seconds cooldown to prevent spams.

I'd add DR 20/unaligned. (scales with 200% melee power) in other words, you take 20 less damage from any holy, unholy, axiomatic, or chaotic weapon, but weapons without those tags go through it.
    DR do not affect spell damage. The intention here is to be an upgrade to Resist Alignment (that already prevent alignment weaponry), and everyone that has been slowed by a chaos hammer, or dazed by a order's wrath will recognize the usefulness of this kind of protection. Very specific protection, but against an annoying effect.

That's... a bit broken. I'd say 2d6 for each stat, and make them sleep for 6 seconds.
    1) That is a 4th level spell. It will compete for slots with Cure Serious Wounds, Foebane, Freedom of Movement, and Planar Tolerance (And summon nature's ally 4, if they ever fix summons).

2) Only at Ranger 19 you get a 3rd slot, and it being a one-hit trick will also requires constant casting.

3) The sleep requires a fortitude save, and even if they do the dex-to-DC thing, rangers will not match a primary caster DC. This will not land all the time on epics.

4) Cooldowns may be tweaked for that as well.

===============

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

gonna critique the new renditions of the spells tomorrow: but before i do, i'll throw out some critique

1: You are aware that my suggestion towards resist alignment was "in addition to"? Resist alignment would give dr 20/neutral AND immunity to any spell that targets an alignment, AND any enchantment that would target an alignment.

2: Foebane would be easier to code if you made it target all favored enemies: there are so many types, and it'd probably be easier to make it blanket

3:Rhino charge would need a long cooldown, like the poster above me said. also make it pin you to the ground when you use it.

definitely make basic resist alignement grant immunity to all enchantments and spells that do alignment damage. but not weapons.

Definitely chuck rhino rush up tier 4: tier 3 is mostly empty and it'd be a definite take.
    Last edited by doubledge; 03-09-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Meh, just give rangers Holy Sword.

1: You are aware that my suggestion towards resist alignment was "in addition to"? Resist alignment would give dr 20/neutral AND immunity to any spell that targets an alignment, AND any enchantment that would target an alignment.
    True, you did said "in addition". In this case, I would drop it to 10, because that is the "capstone" value for DR in heroics (Monk/FvS level 20 gets 10, Stoneskin gives 10, Barbarians can get up to 11). I also have no idea how hard it would be to code a "neutral" DR, but that is a dev problem.

2: Foebane would be easier to code if you made it target all favored enemies: there are so many types, and it'd probably be easier to make it blanket
    I sincerely doubt it, because I don't think the game code can handle a buff that keeps calling back to the character feat list to make the bonus specifically for that. But then, I don't know how the code works on FE base damage as well. If the spell hits all FE, then, sure. 1d6 and 3d6 damage (scaling with MP) is more than enough. Double the values if it affects a single FE.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Boy View Post
    Meh, just give rangers Holy Sword.
    Paladins also need a spell pass. It is on my list of future suggestions.

The ranger spell list definitely needs some attention.

UDR Loot Rules:
    1) No griefing people for pulling loot that dropped in their name
    2) When rolling, classes for which the item is "useful" get +10 to the roll
    example: Wiz and Barb both roll on a Torc, the barb saying "I'm TRing into an arcane next week"
    Wiz gets +10 on his roll

Rhino rush could be coded to be like the vanguards shield rush.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved