Community Member

Default Enhancement planning using a spreadsheet

When I plan out enhancements for a build I typically move stuff around all the time. Ron's planner is an excellent utility and I do use it to validate my builds and post them to the forums, but for actually planning out enhancements I use a spreadsheet for the bulk of the work.

Let's look at my Pale Trapper enhancement list for the U19 enhancement pass for an example. I haven't verified that this loadout is fully compliant with AP gating yet; this is the rough draft. (I verify by simple visual inspection.)

The first thing I do is manually enter the name, tree, tier, AP cost and level for every enhancement in every available tree I might want. Note that the level I enter is an adjusted value that may be higher than normal due to splashing levels in another class, requiring a feat I don't take until higher level, etc... In this example, level 1 wizard enhancements aren't available until level 2 since I take a rogue level @ 1. You can also see the levels where I take the metamagic feats pretty clearly, since I "improve" them immediately.

After adding every enhancement I might want from all trees available I fill column G with TRUE for all of them. The running total at the top of column H shows me how many I've selected so I can see at a glance how much I need to prune.* Note that I keep the top row frozen so I can always see the running total. The formula for column H (included in the screenshot) is pretty straightforward, and the header for colum H is a simple =SUM(H2:H200). 200 is just an arbitrarily high value to ensure it catches them all.

Once all enhancements are added and flagged as TRUE I sort the list by Tree => Tier => Enhancement. Then I go through and starting deleting TRUEs to prune the list down to 80.

Once I'm down to an 80 I'm happy with, then it's time to verify if this is a valid list of 80 AP. For this I sort the sheet by Train => Tree => Tier and manually count the AP spent in each tier to make sure I meet "points in tree" prereqs. Once I have a valid set of 80 points worth of enhancements, it's time to order them.

Ordering them is my favorite part; I love intricate planning. First I reorder the sheet to Train => Order => Level, which is the final sort order. Each time I add a level or 2 worth of ordering I quickly re-sort. (For order notation, 3.2 means "second enhancement taken at level 3.") I typically choose a few key enhancements as "set in stone", taken as early as allowed. For this build the markers were the core enhancements, empower/maximize/quicken efficient metamagics, and I wanted 1 Int taken at levels 7, 8, 11, 12 and 20 to complement a previous-life +4 tome combined with levelups.

After the ordering is complete (and while setting the order) I use column I to verify that my order satisfies "points in tree" requirements. This used to be a much simpler affair for the old enhancement system with its "total AP spent" progression. For "points in tree" I had to write a macro to call, sending cell ranges to the macro. More info on column I's formula and implementation in the second post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*With only 86 AP chosen for wizard it was not hard at all to prune the list down to 80. For my other builds it's usually between 100 - 130 AP total.

Community Member

You can see the formula for column I in the screenshot below.

=PointsSpent(D$2:D2,H$2:H2,D2)

PointsSpent is a macro I wrote for this, though it may not be necessary. I don't know worksheet functions very well, so I often go straight for code. Complete code is down below. The macro takes three paramaters:

D$2:D2
    The first parameter is a range object. This range contains the "Tree" column from the first row to the current row. The $ means absolute reference, not relative, so it always starts from row 2. When you propagate this formula to fill the whole column, it becomes D$2:D3, D$2:D4, D$2:D5, etc.. Always row 2 to the current row.

H$2:H2
    Similar to the previous parameter, this range object contains the actual AP spent. (AP spent is toggled on/off using the TRUE column.)

D2
    This is simply the current row's "Tree." This parameter is how the code knows which AP from the ranges to add up; if the "Tree" column is equal to this parameter for a row, that row's AP is added. Otherwise it's skipped.

So now looking at the image below, consider the enhancements at the start of level 5. Row 12 shows we've spent 6 AP in the Pale Master tree. This total is inclusive, meaning we'd already spent 5 AP in tree before taking this 1 AP enhancement. This satisfies the "points in tree" prereq for a tier 2 core ability, so we're good to go. Row 13 shows we've spent a whopping 12 AP in Archmage, so that should be safe for a while. Time to go heavy on PM!

You can see from the screenshot in the OP that my order does not satisfy all points in tree prereqs; School Mastery taken at level 10.2 fails, as it's a tier 4 but I haven't yet spent 20 AP in the AM tree. As I said in the OP, this order was a rough draft.

Here's the complete code:
    Code:
    Private Function PointsSpent(prngTree As Range, prngAP As Range, pstrTree) As Long
        Dim lngAP As Long
        Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To prngTree.Rows.Count
            If prngTree(i, 1) = pstrTree Then lngAP = lngAP + prngAP(i, 1)
        Next
        PointsSpent = lngAP
    End Function
    I'm using a very old XP box with Excel 2002, so I can't say for sure how to work with macros in newer versions of excel. If you have no idea how to add that code, the easiest way is typically:

Record a Macro (type in random letters) and Save Macro.
    Edit Macro.

When you choose Edit Macro the code window will (hopefully) open up. You can then copy the above 9 lines of code to the bottom of that window and then save the spreadsheet. With any luck, that's all you need to do.

Thank you for this. I'll give it a shot. Much nicer than using pnp as I'm doing now until something better is available.

Ok, back to trying to recreate a useful Barb mix...
    There is no free lunch.
    Ghaelii MacLeigh, TR3 Rogue, Officer of Tyrs Paladium, Ghallanda -- Arndis, TR3 Monk -- Hargold, 28 Barb
    No drama -- http://tyrspaladium.forumotion.com/

Community Member

Default Too Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    Thank you for this. I'll give it a shot. Much nicer than using pnp as I'm doing now until something better is available.

Ok, back to trying to recreate a useful Barb mix...

Too bad it's useless now with the new update!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slydyr22 View Post
    Too bad it's useless now with the new update!
    Not sure I follow. It's specifically for the new update.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You can see the formula for column I in the screenshot below.

=PointsSpent(D$2:D2,H$2:H2,D2)

PointsSpent is a macro I wrote for this, though it may not be necessary. I don't know worksheet functions very well, so I often go straight for code. Complete code is down below. The macro takes three paramaters:

D$2:D2
    The first parameter is a range object. This range contains the "Tree" column from the first row to the current row. The $ means absolute reference, not relative, so it always starts from row 2. When you propagate this formula to fill the whole column, it becomes D$2:D3, D$2:D4, D$2:D5, etc.. Always row 2 to the current row.

H$2:H2
    Similar to the previous parameter, this range object contains the actual AP spent. (AP spent is toggled on/off using the TRUE column.)

D2
    This is simply the current row's "Tree." This parameter is how the code knows which AP from the ranges to add up; if the "Tree" column is equal to this parameter for a row, that row's AP is added. Otherwise it's skipped.

So now looking at the image below, consider the enhancements at the start of level 5. Row 12 shows we've spent 6 AP in the Pale Master tree. This total is inclusive, meaning we'd already spent 5 AP in tree before taking this 1 AP enhancement. This satisfies the "points in tree" prereq for a tier 2 core ability, so we're good to go. Row 13 shows we've spent a whopping 12 AP in Archmage, so that should be safe for a while. Time to go heavy on PM!

You can see from the screenshot in the OP that my order does not satisfy all points in tree prereqs; School Mastery taken at level 10.2 fails, as it's a tier 4 but I haven't yet spent 20 AP in the AM tree. As I said in the OP, this order was a rough draft.

Here's the complete code:
    Code:
    Private Function PointsSpent(prngTree As Range, prngAP As Range, pstrTree) As Long
        Dim lngAP As Long
        Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To prngTree.Rows.Count
            If prngTree(i, 1) = pstrTree Then lngAP = lngAP + prngAP(i, 1)
        Next
        PointsSpent = lngAP
    End Function
    I'm using a very old XP box with Excel 2002, so I can't say for sure how to work with macros in newer versions of excel. If you have no idea how to add that code, the easiest way is typically:

Record a Macro (type in random letters) and Save Macro.
    Edit Macro.

When you choose Edit Macro the code window will (hopefully) open up. You can then copy the above 9 lines of code to the bottom of that window and then save the spreadsheet. With any luck, that's all you need to do.
    Cannith: Ortarr (leader of Killer Dwarfs) - Purge Bravely - Drunkungfu Master - Ortarrdo Son of Ortarr - *others*