Community Member

Default "Turbine launcher has stopped working" when at "opening main forum"--- SOLUTION!

Hello everyone,

IE10 seems to be the problem here. Though, a friend of mine is running IE10 with DDO with absolutely no issues... Odd, but this worked for me. This will probably work for LOTR as well.

Recently, I have received the launcher error "Turbine Launcher has stopped working" after reaching the "open main forum" line of command when trying to start up DDO. Windows will not offer any other information about the error other than to say that it must close.

After doing some searches, I've noticed that this has become a fairly common issue lately, so I'm glad to report that I may have found a solution. As the following troubleshooting article on turbine's site suggests, :

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...questionID=710

Internet explorer MUST be working for the game to function correctly. I found that mine would not even launch, giving the same error "Internet explorer has stopped working". This has to do with the current IE10 update. To fix it, I had to do a complete uninstall of IE10 by following the instructions I found here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...7-308998.shtml

Once you uninstall IE10 and then restart your computer, IE9 will automatically be restored. IE10 apparently has bugs that conflict with certain driver software that causes these kinds of issues with games. Once I did that, the game booted right up!

Hope this helps!

-TalonofTiamat

I was recently trying to help someone with the same problem in this thread. The solution at which he arrived was identical. After having given it some thought, I began to wonder why the binary "AxInterop.SHDocVw.dll" was still included in the distribution set and apparently updated with every new patch release. That file is the COM interop interface to IE for dotNet applications and is used only for the launcher at this point.

I was under the impression that Turbine had switched over to Awesomium (a Chrome fork) for HTTP rendering which has a dotNet library in addition to C++ libraries which the DDO client uses and share a common licensing agreement. Why is it that embedded IE is still a part of the launcher build? I realize replacing it would mean updating to Awesomium 1.7.x, but still - XP is rapidly approaching EOL and IE 10 (which M$ is going to push HARD) is messing things up. Seems like something should be done about that...
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Sorry about that. I should have searched a bit more thoroughly before posting I guess. Unfortunately it seems that this did not fix everything anyway, because now after agreeing to the new user agreement, I'm getting a "D&D client has stopped working" message while joining a world.
    **update!!

fixed this too thanks to a suggestion found on the forum, I was able to use the launcher options to reset the settings. now i'm in!
    Last edited by TalonofTiamat; 06-15-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonofTiamat View Post
    Sorry about that. I should have searched a bit more thoroughly before posting I guess. Unfortunately it seems that this did not fix everything anyway, because now after agreeing to the new user agreement, I'm getting a "D&D client has stopped working" message while joining a world.
    **update!!

fixed this too thanks to a suggestion found on the forum, I was able to use the launcher options to reset the settings. now i'm in!

Goodness, no need to apologize. These forums are a vast and mysterious maze. I'm glad you were able to not only resolve your problem (the first at any rate) while providing evidence for a confirmation of both a solution and the source. I'd rather have more information than less when it comes to unforeseen application interactions. So, thank you for posting.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Thumbs up

I've been at this for two days and re installed five times. This is finally what worked. I could kiss you.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonofTiamat View Post
    Hello everyone,

IE10 seems to be the problem here. Though, a friend of mine is running IE10 with DDO with absolutely no issues... Odd, but this worked for me. This will probably work for LOTR as well.

Recently, I have received the launcher error "Turbine Launcher has stopped working" after reaching the "open main forum" line of command when trying to start up DDO. Windows will not offer any other information about the error other than to say that it must close.

After doing some searches, I've noticed that this has become a fairly common issue lately, so I'm glad to report that I may have found a solution. As the following troubleshooting article on turbine's site suggests, :

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...questionID=710

Internet explorer MUST be working for the game to function correctly. I found that mine would not even launch, giving the same error "Internet explorer has stopped working". This has to do with the current IE10 update. To fix it, I had to do a complete uninstall of IE10 by following the instructions I found here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...7-308998.shtml

Once you uninstall IE10 and then restart your computer, IE9 will automatically be restored. IE10 apparently has bugs that conflict with certain driver software that causes these kinds of issues with games. Once I did that, the game booted right up!

Hope this helps!

-TalonofTiamat