13. Level 10
    14. Level 11

Edit 9/24/10: Added TC through Level 6
    Edit 9/30/10: Added level 7
    Edit 11/2/10: Added level 8
    Edit 11/29/10: Added level 9
    Edit 12/29/10: Added level 10
    Edit 1/28/11: Added level 11
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 01-28-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Default Background

Background
    This is an in-progress journal of character similar to Augie's.

Idea for the build
    I was playing an an Axesinger and hit 400 favor. I wanted to play something completely different for a while. As I had just unlocked Drow, I wanted it to be a Drow. However, I really couldn't find a Drow build that interested me. From what I have read on the forums, a Paladin is the best class for a Drow. As I just played a TWF toon, I wasn't interested in playing another. Another good Drow choice is a Bard, which I had just played and wasn't interested in playing again. With the CON penalty, a melee character seemed out. A spellcaster therefore seemed the best choice. However, I enjoy playing solo.

I did some more research on the forums and found Aspenor's Nuker Guide, which sounded pretty interesting. The following quote in the guide really intrigued me, "If you play this build, you are gonna love the charm/firewall/diplomacy combo. Charm one or two mobs, drop a firewall on the rest, and while they chase you through it use your diplomacy to track them onto your charms. Drop a fireball. BOOM. Encounter over." I also found spifflove's Templates for getting to level 1750, which discussed a W18/R2 build. A W18/R2 build with a high INT would allow me to be the trap monkey for elite parties.

As I started playing with the build in DDOCharGen, it became obvious to me that this character was pathetic solo. I definitely would need to use hirelings to get me through quests (WF hirelings so I could repair them). Then I had the wild idea of going with Iron/Steel/Mithral/Adamantine companions. The Axesinger had purchased a Daanvi cookie, which summons a companion of some sort and it did an awesome job tearing up the enemies in the final battle of "Come Out and Slay". So I eventually came up with a build where the toon stays in the back and uses diplomacy and crowd control spells while a hireling and a companion go toe-to-toe with the enemies.

Created character
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Gunthertrap Bovine
    Level 1 True Neutral Drow Female
    (1 Rogue) 
    Hit Points: 27
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 0
    Fortitude: 1
    Reflex: 2
    Will: -1

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 1)
    Strength              8
    Dexterity            10
    Constitution         12
    Intelligence         20
    Wisdom                8
    Charisma             16

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Concentration (+2)
    Skill: Diplomacy (+4)
    Skill: Disable Device (+4)
    Skill: Haggle (+4)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Listen (+4)
    Skill: Open Lock (+4)
    Skill: Repair (+4)
    Skill: Search (+4)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+4)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
    Feat: (Selected) Self Sufficient
    Playstyle
    I am playing this character untwinked. I enjoy struggling for money. I like to smash everything and pick up everything. I like buying and selling on the AH to make a profit. I find twinking takes the challenge (and the interest) out of the game - it doesn't make sense to pick up coppers if a fellow toon is handing you a 100K plat.

Being able to make money is quite important for this build as I plan to buy a +1 INT Tome at level 3 then 2 +2 tomes at level 7.

I prefer to solo quests, though I think this build would be very helpful to a party. I played one toon of this build to level 4 where I soloed on Normal and then PUGed Elite, then I restarted a new toon that has done everything solo.
    /End Background

Edit 8/25/10: Revised character build
    Edit 9/22/10: Revised to reflect restarted toon has done everything solo
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 09-22-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Default Hirelings

Hirelings

If I am doing well for cash, I hire hirelings at my level. In general, you want clerics for undead quests and fighter/barbarians/paladins for all other quests. I think skeleton types have a DR for edged weapons, which is what fighter/barbarians/paladins wield, so those hirelings struggle to kill skeleton types. It doesn't matter for just skeletons, but it matters for higher-level skeleton types.

Cleric hirelings IMHO are far stupider than fighter/barbarians/paladins. They are constantly casting spells at who knows what. Too often in battles, the cleric will stand there and stare at you, even when getting hit. If there is a fight and you back away, the cleric will run over to see if you are feeling OK.

It is important if you hire a non-WF hireling that you have some way of healing them. The Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds was great for levels 4-5 and at level 6, I could use a Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds. I can't remember a hireling dying with this build. Hirelings have potions to heal themselves if their hp gets too low (about half way). However, if they are chugging pots, they aren't fighting, so you want to start healing them whenever you hear them chug a pot.

Once you hit level 7, you can hire a wizard. At level 8, a Sorcerer. These guys are great for quests that are either short or have lots of shrines. You start fights by tossing a firewall or a fireball and then they clean up. However, at level 8 I found that buffing a melee hireling and then casting invisibility on myself worked really well for getting through quests, especially ones were there are few opportunities to rest.

Level 1 - Hire Byron Scoutsword at Korthos
    Level 2 - Ditto
    Level 3 - Byron still works pretty well if you want to be cheap. Frenzy rocks and Elieri Thistledown for undead quests
    Level 4 - Kurik Forgewarden for most quests and Maloren for undead quests
    Level 5 - Ormol Soggybottom for most quests and Kendra Estleton for undead quests
    Level 6 - Kastinalia Windblossom for most quests and Arias Oreth for undead quests
    Level 7 - K'zurth Qarab for most quests and Syllix Giantbane for quests where SP's would be an issue
    Level 8 - Tower as "buff the hireling" works really well

Edit: 9/23/10 - Added content up to level 6
    Edit: 11/29/10 - Added levels 7 and 8
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 11-29-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Default Spells

Spells

Level 1

Burning Hands - Early on, primary offensive spell against undead. Also very useful when enemies are bunched together such as when you open a door in "Walk the Butcher's Path"
    Charm Person - Useful when there are a number of enemies together or when enemies feed into the same area such as "Kobold Assault"
    Expeditious Retreat - I never use it on quests because it will leave the companion and the hireling behind, but is great for zipping around town
    Feather Fall - Useful for some quests
    Hypnotism - Primary spell initially except against undead. Freezes most of the enemies so the hireling and the companion can kill them in detail
    Jump - Useful for some quests
    Mage Armor - Vital early on and should always have it cast (unless you have +4 or better Armor Bracers). Eventually dropped from the spell list once I acquire a clickie
    Magic Missile - Puny damage that doesn't scale up quickly (every 2 caster levels)
    Master's Touch - Not needed for this build as I rarely melee
    Naic's Cold Ray - I am not a fan early on as the save for no damage is annoying. But once you get to level 4 and don't use it against enemies with high reflex saves (typically throwers), it becomes a one-hit killer
    Nightshield - Provides no benefits if you have shield cast (which you should) and have a resistance item (which you should)
    Protection From Evil - A nice defensive buff when you have a free spell slot
    Repair Light Damage - Your WF hireling rarely gets damaged, so it is a conservative choice and is better replaced by a wand
    Shield - Should always have it cast. Having to recast it so often sucks early on
    Shocking Grasp - Not enough damage early on to justify getting into melee, but when you reach level 4 can do a lot of damage
    Sleep - Inferior to Hypnotism as it is much slower to cast and effects a smaller area
    Summon Monster I - Use whenever in a PUG and when you think you will hit the 10 minute timer on the companion

Level 2

Blindness - Sounds like a cool way to knock out spellcasters, but blind spellcasters keep right on casting
    Blur - People swear by this, but I don't find it that useful. Early on, your crowd control spells make this unneceessary unless you have a melee fest like "Kobold Assault". Eventually when you have enough SP's and spell slots, always have this cast on your hireling and you.
    Bull's Strength - Have as a wand by level 4 or 5. There are certain quests such as "Redfang the Unruled" and "Irestone Inlet" where you can lose strength and become helpless. Cast this on yourself to end the helplessness. You can also use it to buff your hireling, though I don't know how much good it does
    Cat's Grace - You can use it to buff your hireling, though I don't know how much good it does
    Command Undead - "Charm Person" for the undead. Awesome for undead heavy quests
    Daze Monster - Could be useful against bosses, but I have never tried
    Electric Loop - So far, the enemies I want to use it against are kobolds and kobolds have a high reflex save. I am not a fan
    False Life - At level 3, buy a wand of this and have it constantly cast. I don't select it as a spell
    Flaming Sphere - This is OK if you know the quest because you need to cast it a couple of seconds before you are mobbed. It will give you another summons for a battle. It won't kill much, but it will pull aggro
    Fox's Cunning - If you can have it cast, have it cast. It will boost the effectiveness of your CC spells and your Search/Disarm
    Ghoul Touch - Really useful against quests with Kobold Shamans - freeze the melee kobolds with Hypnotism and then paralyze the Kobold Shamans with this spell
    Glitterdust - You have no problem seeing hidden enemies
    Hypnotic Pattern - Rarely useful. Slow to cast and only effects enemies as they cross the border
    Invisibility - If your hireling and summons can handle the mobs, then cast this on yourself so you won't get attacked. Once you get Fireball, you can cast this on yourself, wait for the enemies to mob your hireling and your summons and then fireball them
    Knock - Not useful for this build
    Lesser Death Aura - Doesn't do enough damage to be worthwhile
    Melf's Acid Arrow - Damages too slowly to be useful
    Ooze Pupper - "Charm Person" for oozes. Oozes aren't common enough to make this useful
    Otto's Resistable Dance - I laughed and laughed the first time I saw a sahuagin dance. Good for temporarily neutralizing brutes but you want to kill things
    Owl's Wisdom - Your wisdom is so bad that this boost won't help with any wisdom tests
    Repair Moderate Damage - Given how little damage your hireling takes, a wand is a better choice
    Resist Energy - For quests with lots of energy attacks such as "Freshen the Air", this is invaluable. You should have a wand of this handy when it is occasionally needed on other quests
    Scare - This spell should be better than Hypnotism for big areas such as "Kobold Assault", but I don't think the improvement is worth a second level spell slot
    Scorching Ray - Your primary offensive spell against undead and enemies with high reflex saves
    See Invisibility - You have no problem seeing hidden enemies
    Snowball Swarm - Doesn't do enough damage to make worthwhile
    Summon Monster II - This summon is nearly useless. Summon Monster I is much better for less SP
    Web - Some people swear by this, but it doesn't seem to work with this build

Level 3

Acid Blast - My back up to Fireball. I use it when facing fire immune enemies or when I want to increase my DPS over casting just Fireball
    Chain Missiles - I have never used
    Deep Slumber - I wasn't a fan of Sleep, so I have never used
    Dispel Magic - I have never used
    Displacement - It doesn't last long enough for me to want to use. I use Haste when I want a short melee booster
    Fireball - My primary attack spell from when I learned it through level 10
    Flame Arrow - I have never used
    Frost Lance - An excellent attack spell for killing an individual enemy
    Halt Undead - I have a clickie of this. Really helpful for undead quests. Stops the undead cold and allows the hireling and summons to kill them in detail
    Haste - Doesn't last long enough for me to take when questing. I cast it a lot during the Mabar dragon raid
    Heroism - I have this cast on me and my hireling whenever I can
    Hold Person - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Lightning Bolt - I have never used as a spell though I have used the wand. I prefer Frost Lance
    Magic Circle Against Evil - I have never used. Casting Protection From Evil instead provides the same benefits without using up a 3rd level spell slot
    Protection From Energy - I always carry a wand of this to protect me and the hireling from elemental damage
    Rage - I have never used. I don't see the need
    Ray of Exhaustion - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Repair Serious Damage - I have used it as a wand, but use as a spell the lower level Repairs instead
    Sleet Storm - I have never used
    Slow - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Stinking Cloud - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Suggestion - I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Summon Monster III - When I drop the Companion enhancements, I regularly used this. The Hellhound is the best choice
    Waterbreathing - I have never used. I have the Ring of Waterbreathing when I need to breathe underwater

Level 4

Acid Rain - I have never used. It looks like it would damage too slowly
    Bestow Curse - I have never used. I should probably use against bosses
    Charm Monster - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Contagion - I have never used. It looks like it would damage too slowly
    Crushing Despair - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Death Aura - I have never used. It looks like it would damage too slowly
    Dimension Door - Occasionally useful for tricky spots in specific quests
    Enervation - I have never used
    Fear - I have never used. I prefer to kill instead of enchant
    Fire Shield - I have never used. It would hitting me hurt enemies, but I don't want them to hit me
    Fire Trap - I have never used. I don't know how I would use it with this build
    Force Missiles - I have never used
    Ice Storm - I have used it as a wand. It would be better if it did pure cold damage
    Lesser Globe of Invulnerability - I have never used. With the "buff the hireling" approach, I am not getting hit by spells
    Negative Energy Burst - I have never used but I probably should try it
    Phantasmal Killer - A one hit TKO spell but with two saving throws. Best against small ranged opponents. I have used it as a wand but not as a spell
    Remove Curse - Always have a wand of this
    Repair Critical Damage - I have used it as a wand, but use as a spell the lower level Repairs instead
    Shout - I have never used
    Solid Fog - I have never used
    Stoneskin - An awesome hireling buff. Requires its own spell component (which is expensive) so the wand doesn't cost a whole lot more and doesn't take a spell slot
    Summon Monster IV - Once I got this, I used it constantly. I prefer the Lantern Archon, though the spider is probably just as good
    Symbol of Flame - I have never used. I don't know how I would use it with this build
    Wall of Fire - On the forums, poster rave that this is a life changing spell. With this build, it is a good spell, but not awesome. If you are fighting a melee-only mob, then it shines as the enemies take severe damage as the pass through it on the way to attack you. With casters and ranged enemies, they are going to stay in place and attack you, so they won't move through it

Edit: 8/27/10 - Added spell levels 1 and 2
    Edit 11/29/10 - Updated spell levels 1 and 2 based upon experience
    Edit: 11/30/10 - Added spell levels 3 and 4
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 11-30-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Default Level 1

Level 1
    Quest #1 The Grotto starter quest - I scored 7 starter potions of heal light wounds and ended up with 1 gold, 44 silver and 38 copper. I have 20 shuriken I could sell, but I am going to wait on selling. Took the Ember Heavy Mace. Sadly, the toon is going to struggle on the next quest as she has a +0 combat bonus, does 1D8-1 damage, an AC of 14 and a blocking DR of 1.

Quest #2 The Storehouse's Secret - I chose this quest to do next because the fighting is minor. I drank a heal potion before picking up the key, went down to 12 hp, then finished the quest. I took the only good belt, the Rugged Belt. Moola is up to 3 gold, 69 silver and 68 copper, which is just enough to hire Byron Scoutsword from Jewan Solidus.

Quest #3 Heyton's Rest - There are lots of things to smash and two chests, which I hoped would translate into money. Byron buzzed through the quest and I only took 4 damage. Took and equipped the Amulet of Inner Focus. I went to rank 3 and got my second Action Point. I then trained to get an Iron Companion

Quest #4 Cannith Crystal - No problem with the Byron and the companion - I didn't take a point of damage. Spent a lot of time watching the two chew up bad guys while I guarded the crystal. No loot on this quest . I took the Spear Bane bracers.

Quest #5 The Collaborator - I couldn't summon the companion initially - too soon from the last summons? I had to do some actual swinging until the attackers took their pause and I could then summon the companion. Raced through the rest of the quest. At the final door, I threw the switch and then climbed back to the hill from which I shot arrows. I took the Discarded Ring as loot. I hit rank 4 and used the Action Point for Rogue Skill Boost I.

Ran around town to get the wilderness quests. I still have 36 minutes with Byron.

Quest #6 Redemption - I didn't summon the companion for this one as when I did this quest with the twinked toon, the companion's grease kept making Lars Heyton and his guardian fall down. During the big battle, I fought close to Heyton and didn't take much damage. I got enough XP to level up, so I recalled to the village once the quest was over. I took the Curative Cloak from Lars' sweetie.
    End of Level 1

Edit 8/25/10: Changed some things based upon the experience of several characters
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 08-25-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Default Level 2

Level 2
    Here is what I did with the level gain:

Code:
    Gunthertrap Bovine
    Level 2 True Neutral Drow Female
    (1 Rogue \ 1 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 32 (37 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 180 (190 with equipment)

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Disable Device (+1)
    Skill: Search (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
    Spell (1): Burning Hands
    Spell (1): Charm Person
    Spell (1): Expeditious Retreat
    Spell (1): Hypnotism
    Spell (1): Jump
    Spell (1): Mage Armor
    Spell (1): Repair Light Damage
    Spell (1): Shield

BAB: 0
    Reflex: 2
    Will: 1
    I then used my banked Action Point for Wizard Energy of the Scholar I, taking me to 210 SP's.

Equipment
    Weapons: Ember Heavy Mace, Ember Shortbow
    Wrist: Spear Bane
    Neck: Amulet of Inner Focus
    Cloak: Curative Cloak
    Waist: Rugged Belt
    Finger: Discarded Ring
    Armor: Starter Rags

Adventures
    Quest #1 Misery's Peak - I had no problems with Byron and the companion. I would occasionally shoot arrows, but for the most part I just watched. I healed myself once and the only time I needed to repair Byron and the companion was after the battle with the summoned demon. Shrines were frequent enough that the 10 minute timer on the companion was never a problem. I took the Archivist's Necklace and got enough XP to go up to Rank 7, which I used to get Wizard Elemental Manipulation.

Misery Peak gave me some insight into the difference in AI between the hireling and the companion. The companion was much more aggressive. When I would go into an area with enemies, I would charge the enemies to alert my allies to them, then I would take a few steps back to get behind my allies. Typically, the companion would charge the enemies and Byron would stay very close to me. Eventually, Byron would notice that there is fighting going on and then would go join in. The companion did an excellent job of staying with me and I had to wait for Byron to catch up more often than the companion.

I then left Korthos for Stormreach. Korthos is great for getting for equiping your character, but it is not great for making money. Stormreach has my main two sources of income - the Auction House (AH) and collectables. When I got to Stormreach, I had 35 plat. I bid on 3 items, each bid ~11 plat. I won all three auctions and immediately sold the items. With buffing, I can sell items to a general vendor for 12% of base value. I made 2 plat on the first, 16.6 plat on the second and 130 plat on the third.

Time to run some quick quests to make some more money, I went back to Korthos to hire Byron 3 times (he is about 20% cheaper than the equivalent from the harbor hireling vendor) and then ran some harbor quests.

Quest #2 Bringing the Light - I died on this quest. When I went into the North wing, I hypnotized the brigand that was going to free the dogs. Byron and the companion then got totally focused on getting at the locked up dogs. I got bored of watching them look at the dogs and took a swing at the brigand. The brigand started attacking me and eventually killed me while Byron and the companion never moved away from the dogs.

Quest #3 The Miller's Debt - I couldn't take Byron on this one. I got down to 3 hp before the companion killed Ironspike. The two collectables I picked up were excellent - a Deadly Feverblanch and a Vial of Contagion. I turned the Vial of Contagion in for a Robe of Lesser Lightning Resistance, which I equiped.

Quest #4 Haverdasher - I stood in the doorway and watched Byron and the companion kill everything. Blacktail showed up, so I got two chests.

Quest #5 Bringing the Light again - No problems this time. In the final battle, the boss Ramsay Morcort was locked on to me, but I just ran around the room while Byron and the companion finished off Ramsay's minions and then they killed Ramsay. For the reward, I took an item to sell and my wealth was now up to 242 plat.

Making Money
    In DDO as in real life, it takes money to make money. The best money making opportunity is collectables used for rituals. However, I don't have enough money to do that. Instead, I am buying items from the AH for a fraction of their base value and selling them to a general vendor or a pawn vendor. As pawn vendors pay more than general vendors, I want to buy things that I can sell to pawn vendors. When I have tried to resell items on the AH that I bought for a song, I have not been able to get them to sell. I generally only bid on items that have 24 hours or less left on the auction. I don't want to tie up my money and my limited number of auction bids on something that isn't going to resolve fairly quickly. There are only a few items at any one time for a small fraction of their base value, so it takes patience to make money this way.

I placed a couple of bids at the AH, then headed back to Korthos. Time to get some better equipment for my character.

More Adventures
    Before doing a quest, I cast Expeditious Retreat a lot and visited the 12 Explorer locations. While I was running around, I dispatched Cicic.

Quest #6 Stopping the Sahuagin - An easy stroll. The chest before the boss spider had Winter Boots, which I equiped. I loved plinking the ice spider boss to draw it down to Byron and my companion. When I was researching companions on the forums prior to this build, I didn't find much and one of the things I found is that companions wouldn't follow when you went up or down stairs, swam through water, etc. I didn't see that at all, so maybe they fixed that problem with Update 5. The AI apparently periodically checks to see if the companion is too far away and if it is, it teleports to me. Chose the Battered Helm.

Quest #7 Sacrifices - This quest has the best loot of the Korthos quests after the initial Misery Peak loot. Another simple run. I went for improving my viability by taking the Protector's Gloves and their DR 1/-

Quest #8 Necromancer's Doom - Last of the Korthos quests on Normal. No problem again. During the last battle, I hung back and tossed Burning Hands while Byron and the companion kept the Jacoby and the skeleton warrior occupied. It is nice to have rogue skills on this quest as I was able to unlock the door to get to the chest and get the Arcane Gloves, which I equiped. Back in town, I took the Ornate Googles.

Quest #9 Cannith Crystal HARD - I charmed a couple of Devourer Minions this time. I am not a big fan of charm as the charmee just stands there while I am ready to move on in the dungeon, but as this quest has many battles in the same place spread out over a period of time, it worked well. No problems. I took the Bracers of Assistance and put them into my shortcut bar.

Quest #10 The Collaborator HARD - I mainly stood in the back and cast Hypnotism while Byron and the companion chewed up enemies. With Mage Armor and Shield, I did okay when I meleed with an enemy that popped up right on top of me. Down at the shrine, I took Burning Hands to replace Hypnotism and then did some flaming during the final battle. I took Thera's Rapier, which I immediately sold.

I had 2 Action Points saved up at this time, so I took Improved Spell Resistance I and Wizard Elemental Manipulation I.

Back to Stormreach to sell stuff and place some more bids at the AH. I bought a +5 Battleaxe (base value 5001.8 plat) for ~15 plat.

Quest #11 Recovering the Lost Tome - This is the my first toon that was smart enough to activate the INT runes. Byron died on this quest. We were in big room at the end and I opened the door for the small room with the protected chest. Byron and the companion went in and started fighting the two skeleton warriors. I guess Byron's edged weapon wasn't effective against them and they killed Byron. I went into the room and while the companion kept their attention, I hit them with Burning Hands until they died. Two chests and a quest reward, all garbage that I immediately sold.

I went into town and bought a Jump scroll and inscribed it. Bought some more stuff on the AH and sold it. Moola is now up to 1650 plat.

As I was standing in front of Quest #11, I got a guild invite. This is the week after Update 5 and I had received a few guild requests earlier. This one, I accepted just for a lark. My problem with guilds before is that they only ones inviting low-level players had too few players for me to find people interested in doing quests that I want to do. Whoever is running this guild was very busy as it had ~120 members when I joined, mainly levels 1-5.

Quest #12 Arachnophobia - I had to bail on this quest. I was planning on sleeping the spiders and then killing them individually, but they are immune to sleep. I started killing them with Burning Hands, but that was taking too many spell points. I went back in with Jump (to get a collectable which turned out to be a Deadly Feverblanch), Mage Armor and Shield. I used the companion, though I may have been able do to fine without it. The companion broke 7 sarcophagi, so I didn't fail. I was doing some RL stuff at the same time and the companion hit its 10 minute limit just prior to the fight with the boss spider, so I had to kill it by myself (which wasn't hard).

Quest #13 Home Sweet Sewer - The least challenging quest in DDO. See dog, run from dog, repeat as necessary. Expeditious Retreat made this quest less boring.

Quest #14 Protect Baudry's Interests - I parked Byron next to the crate and then I ran around smashing breakables. Got the Ransack bonus
    End of Level 2

Edit 8/25/10: Changed some things based upon the experience of several characters
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 08-25-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Default Level 3

Level 3

Code:
    Gunthertrap Bovine
    Level 3 True Neutral Drow Female
    (1 Rogue \ 2 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 37 (42 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 230 (240 with equipment)

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes
    Spell (1): Feather Fall
    Spell (1): Niac's Cold Ray

BAB: 1\1
    Reflex: 8
    Will: 2

All Selected Feats:
    Self Sufficient
    Extend Spell
    Insightful Reflexes

All Selected Enhancements:
    Iron Companion
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
    Improved Spell Resistance I
    Wizard Elemental Manipulation I
    Wizard Intelligence I (taken after leveling up)
    I was sorely tempted by the new Augment Summoning feat, but I went with greatly improving my Reflex save. The Reflex save is what keeps me from falling down in the companion's grease spell

Equipment
    Weapons: Ember Heavy Mace, Ember Shortbow
    Head: Battered Helm
    Eyes: Ornate Googles
    Neck: Amulet of Inner Focus, Archivist's Necklace
    Cloak: Curative Cloak
    Wrist: Spear Bane
    Hands: Arcane Gloves, Protector's Gloves
    Finger: Discarded Ring
    Armor: Robe of Lesser Lightning Resistance
    Feet: Winter Boots

Adventures
    Quest #1 Stop Hazadill's Shipment - An unchallenging quest but fun. For the first time for me, the Witch Doctor was behind the secret door. I was totally taken by surprise. I didn't have Byron or the companion with me. I didn't have any offensive spells. I just whomped on him with my Ember Heavy Mace. Not a pleasant surprise

Quest #2 Retrieve the Stolen Goods - Another easy run. I found a useful item in a chest, a Sickle of Power II. I had a number of good choices for the quest reward and went with a Greater Efficacy I Dagger.

More buys and sells at the AH. Up to 2630 plat.

Quest #3 Information is Key - A lovely walk through the sewers.
    In the final chest, I got a Robe of Lesser Fire Resistance (which I equiped) and a Gold Festivult coin. For quest reward, I got a Wand of Blur. I put it for sale on the AH. I would love to keep it, but I need the money now to make more money

Setting selling prices at the AH
    When looking at the AH for setting prices, a good sign is if you can't find what you are looking for. If you are trying to sell a +2 Maul and there are already 20 for sell in the AH, you aren't likely to sell yours as there is obviously much more supply than demand. If you are thinking of selling googles of +7 Disable Device and there are none in the AH, you can pretty much set your price.

Turn in some collectables, buy and sell some more, and I am up to 3604 plat. At this point, I have enough money that I feel like I can buy some stuff for myself. I bought from the AH:
    +1 INT trinket (more SP's and +1 to DC)
    +1 Resistance ring
    +3 Disable Device google.

On Hireling and Repair Costs
    Yes, this toon requires constantly spending money on hirelings. So far, that isn't very much. Byron costs less than a plat. Now that I am level 3, I can hire Frenzy (level 3 WF Barb) from the Guild Melee Hireling Vendor for about 17 plat. I seem to be doing fine with Byron, so for right now I am only going to use Frenzy when I now I can run a bunch of quests in a row.

Though I have to pay for a hireling, this is a cheaper toon to run than the melee toons I have had as I very little repair cost. If I run 4 quests, I might have a plat or two in repair costs.

More Adventures
    Back to Korthos for more starter equipment
    Quest #4 Redemption HARD - I used Frenzy as my hireling for the next set of quests. I summoned the companion this time and it was a mistake - Lars kept falling down during the big battle and getting whacked on. I don't think I took any damage this time. Took another Curative Cloak.

Quest #5 Necromancer's Doom HARD - I messed up, forgetting to rest before throwing the second switch. My companion died during the last battle, but Frenzy was able to do fine on his own. I took the Blessed Googles.

Quest #6 Sacrifices HARD - Any problems were of my own making. The companion would teleport to me for an instance when I was underwater unlocking the door leading to the chest. It also teleported to me when I was about to fight the skeletal mage. I got everything set for the fight and then walked off the ledge instead of walking over to the battle area. I froze Frenzy in place, zipped up the ladder, fell again on the way over, back up the ladder, saw a devourer minion running for me, made the jumps over, started the battle, realized that Frenzy was still frozen in place, unfroze him and the battle was quickly over. I took the awesome Troubleshooter's Googles.

Quest #7 Bringing the Light HARD - No problem this time. I whacked on the dogs a few times as they didn't seem bothered by my Diplomacy or my Hypnotism. Ever noticed that the when the Dungeon Master says "...should satisfy Brother Andrew" when the quest giver is Brother Malden?

I am up to Rank 12 now, so I spent 2 Action Points on Rogue Disable Device I and Wizard Wand Mastery I.

Quest #8 Stealthy Repossesion - I had to give up on this quest. My plan was to park the hireling by the enterance, sleep the prophets, hypnotize everyone else and then summon the hireling and the companion for the last part of the quest. Well, while I was parking the hireling, I heard the first alarm go off. I opened the first door and the first prophet charged me. Byron promptly killed him. I slept the second prophet. I threw the switch and entered the next room and all the kobolds woke up. I had to run out of the quest. I waited 5 minutes and tried again. This time, I tried sleeping the first prophet before summon the hireling. That went badly as well. I hate this quest.

Quest #9 The Kobolds' New Ringleader - The only real challenge was breaking all the smashables. By my count, there are 295 of them. At one point, I was afraid that the companion was going to hit his 10 minute timer before I got through fighting everyone in that section. I ran through the part of the dungeon getting the two crystals lit, then I want back and broke all the smashables. Lots of potions, collectables and chests from this quest. For the quest reward, I took a Minor Spell Penetration II Scepter for when I hit level 4.

This build is so easy at this level. I rarely get hit and my hp's rarely get below level 38. So I am just going to list quests and anything unusual

Quest #10 Durk's Got A Secret

Quest #11 Walk the Buthcer's Path - With my intelligence and Byron's strength, we were able to find the kobold's secret treasure and get into the home of the Troglodyte Champion. Quest reward was Improved Efficacy II Quarterstaff.

Bought at the AH and sold off stuff. Up to 7330 pp and have 6 Deadly Feverblanches. I found one item at the AH with a base value of 2505 that had a buyout price of 150. Thanks for the money!

Quest #12 Garrison's Missing Pack - Furor appeared and I got Furor's Hide for killing him, which I equiped. For the quest reward, I got a Robe of Command, which boosts my Haggle by 1 over a +1 Haggle necklace

At this point, the 4 spells I am using for most quests are Burning Hands, Hypnotism, Shield and Repair Light Damage. At some point, I picked up Level 1 Mage Armor Gloves, which is the only first level buff spell worth casting with an item. Most first level spells buff spells end to quickly to be worthwhile.

As I smash all the breakables I can, I am accumulating a lot of cure light wounds potions. Right now, I have 16 Starter Heal Light Wounds potions and 38 Cure Light Wounds potions.

I have been finding and buying Deadly Feverblanches and I now have 12. I listed them on the AH, but afterwards I decided that I listed them at too high of a price. Oh well, I will get them back in 72 hours.

Quest #13 The Sunken Sewer

Quest #14 Missing In Action

Decision time - I have completed all the level 2 quests on Normal. Do I run level 1 quests at Elite, level 2 quests on Hard or level 3 quests on Normal?

Quest #15 The Friar's Niece

Quest #16 An Explosive Situation - the only real challenge is that if I smash all the breakables, my companion will expire before I get to the final boss.

Quest #17 Heyton's Rest ELITE - I finally joined a PUG. The group had 3, but one player was off on his own. I struggled in this situation. I foolishly assumed that the other player wouldn't want me to summon a companion. I didn't swap in a Summon Monster I spell. I felt like I should join in on the combat, but I was really bad and took a lot of damage.

Quest #18 The Cannith Crystal ELITE - We failed the first time. I charmed a Devourer Minion and he was doing a good job of fighting for us. Then he reverted when we weren't paying attention and was able to smash the crystal. I swapped Summon Monster I for Charm Person and we did pretty well.

Quest #19 The Storehouse's Secret ELITE

Quest #20 The Collaborator ELITE - The third player joined us this quest and stayed with us for the rest of Korthos. Hypnotism still worked pretty well

Quest #21 Redemption ELITE - We picked up a fourth. I felt pretty good with 3 people fighting about staying in the back and tossing Hypnotisms. The third player wasn't very good - he charged through the triple blade traps to attack the Rusty Defender.

Quest #22 Necromancer's Doom ELITE - As Hypnotism doesn't work with undead, I was concerned about this one. I primarily tossed Burning Hands. The third player went right at the room in front of the cell after the rest of us had gone left, so he didn't help us in our battle and wound up comatose after fleeing a sahuagin. He also went comatose during the final battle.

Quest #23 Sacrifices ELITE - When player #1 and I were in this dungeon, player #3 and #4 decided to run Misery's Peak elite. I didn't think we were up to this quest. Player #1 summoned a Cleric, I summoned the companion and we made good progress. Players #3 and #4 decided to join us and player #3 was killed by the trap.

With the Elite run, I gained so much experience at once that I was ready to level up before I had bought a +1 Tome of Intelligence. My older toon had bought one using the Trade channel for 5K plat, so I had him mail it to this toon and this toon mailed 5K plat to the older toon.
    End of Level 3

Edit 8/27/10: Changed some things based upon the experience of several characters
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 08-27-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Changed some things based upon the experience of several characters

Default Level 4

Level 4

Code:
    Gunthertrap Bovine 
    Level 4 True Neutral Drow Female 
    (1 Rogue / 3 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 42 (47 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 272 (304 with equipment)

Level 4 (Wizard) 
    Ability Raise: INT 
    Spell (2): Fox's Cunning
    Spell (2): Scorching Ray

BAB: 1/1 
    Fortitude: 2 (3 with equipment)
    Reflex: 9 (11 with equipment)
    Will: 2 (3 with equipment)

Starting    Feat/Enhancement     With
    Abilities    Base Stats    Modified Stats    Equipment
    (28 Point)    (Level 1)      (Level 4) 
    Strength            8                 8          8
    Dexterity          11                11         12
    Constitution       12                12         12
    Intelligence       20                23         24
    Wisdom              8                 8          8
    Charisma           15                15         16

All Selected Feats:
    Self Sufficient
    Extend Spell
    Insightful Reflexes

All Selected Enhancements:
    Iron Companion
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Rogue Disable Device I
    Wizard Wand Mastery I
    Steel Companion (taken after leveling up)
    After I leveled up, I immediately bought and inscribed Blur and Ghoul Touch.

Equipment
    I now have enough money to start picking up some really useful items. They are:
    Wand of False Life - This spell "wears off" when you take 13 damage, so it is best to not extend it and consequently is the best choice of buff spells to use a wand for instead of casting
    +1 Superior Freeze weapon - Gives you 3 3-minute 50% boost to your cold spells (e.g. Niac's), though I have seen it is actually a 75% boost
    +1 Superior Inferno weapon - Gives you 3 3-minute 50% boost to your fire spells (e.g. Flaming Hands, Scorching Ray), though I have seen it is actually a 75% boost
    +1 Conjuration weapon - Increases your DC for Conjuration spells (e.g. Niac's)
    +1 Enchantment weapon - Increases your DC for Enchantment spells (e.g. Hypnotism, Charm Person, )
    +1 Evocation weapon - Increases your DC for Evocation spells (e.g. Burning Hands)
    +1 weapon of Wizardy II - Boost your SP's by 50. Always have this in your off-hand
    Outfit/Robe of Invulnerability - Kobolds will no longer hurt you in melee
    Wand of Resist Energy - Use when needed. Once you get this, sell all of your potions of Resist XXXXX

In my shortcut bar, I have:
    - A weapon set of Wand of False Life and +1 weapon of Wizardry II
    - The +1 Superior Freeze weapon
    - The +1 Superior Inferno Weapon
    - A weapon set of +1 Conjuration weapon and +1 weapon of Wizardry II
    - A weapon set of +1 Enchantment weapon and +1 weapon of Wizardry II
    - A weapon set of +1 Evocation weapon and +1 weapon of Wizardry II

When I start a quest and after I rest, I do the following:
    1, Cast False Life from the wand
    2. Cast Superior Freeze from the +1 Superior Freeze weapon
    3. Cast Superior Inferno from the +1 Superior Inferno weapon
    4. Click on the +1 spell school weapon set (Conjuration/Enchantment/Evocation) that I am mostly likely to use

I did a lot of buying after I leveled up, so this reflects those buys
    Weapons - See above
    Head: -
    Eyes: Troubleshooter's Googles, +3 Disable Device Googles
    Neck: +3 Diplomacy Necklace, Archivist's Necklace
    Cloak: Furor's Hide, 3 Curative Cloaks
    Wrist: Spear Bane, 2 Bracers of Assistance
    Hands: Arcane Gloves, Protector's Gloves, Gloves of level 1 Mage Armor
    Fingers: +1 Resistance ring, Discarded Ring, Ring of Waterbreathing
    Armor: Robe of Lesser Fire Resistance, Robe of Lesser Lightning Resistance, Robe of Command
    Feet: +3 Balance Boots, Winter Boots

Adventures
    At this point, I have accumulated enough stuff that I am having inventory problems. Time to run some Coin Lords quests to get 75 favor with them so I can get the fourth inventory tab.

Quest #1 Stopping the Sahuagin HARD - Time to play with the new spells. I went in with Hypnotic Pattern and Flaming Sphere and I thought both were close to useless. Hypnotism is almost instantaneous and casts at the enemies coming towards. Hypnotic Pattern took a while to cast and centered around me, which didn't help my hireling or companion. I had high hopes Flaming Sphere once I discovered I could summon it while having the companion up. However, when I would run up to engage the enemy, I would never see the Flaming Sphere. I don't know if it did anything. I swapped the Steel Companion for the Iron Companion and it seemed less agressive, but otherwise I couldn't tell any difference.

Quest #2 Stopping the Sahuagin ELITE - I died on this one. I got through to the end without a problem and then was killed by the ice jets. I reran the quest, drank an Resist Cold potion, cast Aid, False Life and Jump and the jets still wiped all the hp from Aid and False Life

Quest #3 The Kobolds' New Ringleader HARD
    Quest #4 Garrison's Missing Pack HARD

I did both of these with Blur and False Life. I am liking False Life. One of the challenges of playing solo with this build is that I can't heal myself with spells. With False Life, I give myself a bunch of temporary hp's, which I can "heal" by recasting. This build is really easy to run and False Life makes it even easier. Blur seems pointless. I can cast it on myself, my hireling and the Steel Companion, but none of use are taking much damage. Tossing an occasional Repair Light Damage provides as much benefit as Blur.

Those two quests gave me 75 favor with the Coin Lords, so I now have my fourth inventory slot. Now, back to the Catacombs quests.

Quest #5 Return to the Sanctuary - I picked up Command Undead before starting this, but decided to give Flaming Sphere another try. It went a lot better this time. I think it gets lost too easily and/or has too short of a timer, so I would cast it just before or at the start of a battle. I never did use the Command Undead. I went with a level 4 cleric (Maloren) instead of Frenzy as Frenzy seemed to struggle with skeletons. Maloren had the annoying habit of looking at me while the companion and the Flaming Sphere were fighting with enemies. He would also spend a lot of time casting what looked like healing spells, but who was he healing? When he would actually fight, he would mow down the undead. Quest reward was a wand of level 3 Magic Missile - I am planning on using it in battles once I am done casting.

I am up to 21 Starter Potions of Heal Light Wounds and 67 Potions of Cure Light Wounds.

Quest #6 The Old Archives

Quest #7 The Crypt of Gerald Dryden - what a long, boring, repetative quest. In 56 minutes, I killed 266 enemies (probably 240 of which were skeletons) and smashed 168 breakables. I took Command Undead and False Life with me as well as the level 4 cleric. I would charm the Dryden Ancestors whenever I could as they are the toughest skeleton. I ran out of level 2 spell components, but the last battle still went pretty easy. I like the Catacombs series because it has a good story line that is woven into the events in the quests. This quest really dampens that enjoyment. Quest reward was a wand of level 3 Niac's Cold Ray.

Quest #8 Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral
    Quest #9 Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt

Quest #10 Endgame: Marguerite - I was sure to take Scorching Ray for this one to take out the Skeleton Archers that are ledges. I had a little bit of trouble with the arcane skeleton wave, but otherwise easy

Quest #11 Engame: The Archbishop's Fate - I summoned and buffed before talking to the Archbishop. I forgot to use Aid and Improved Efficacy II. I had some troubles early as I got surrounded by undead and was getting toasted by the arcane skelton. My hp's dropped to the mid-20's before I ran around behind the dias. The cleric cured me for 23 hp, I threw another False Life and I was ready to rumble. The undead had moved on to the cleric and the companion, so I had an open shot on the wraith with a maximized Scorching Ray. It took I think 3 to kill him. I turned Maximize off and had an easy time of mopping up. I had research the possible loot for this quest and I was very excited about getting a Robe of Duality, but it wasn't in the list of rewards at the end I went with a Eternal Wand of Magic Missile instead.

Quest #12 Kobold Assault - The kobolds managed to knock me down from 47 hp to 46. I threw a lot of Hypnotisms and Charms, but mainly cheered on Frenzy and the companion.

My set of Deadly Feverblanches sold. I have enough money to start buying other sets. I am buying Sparkling Dusts and Small Eberron Dragonshard Fragments. I am keeping an eye out for bargains on Medium Eberron Dragonshard Fragments, Ancient Dragon Relics and Ancient Elven Relics.

Quest #13 Redfang The Unruled - I wish I could find all of the trap boxes! A couple of times, I forgot to switch back to my spot goggles and blundered into traps. More tedious than hard.

Quest #14 The Swiped Signet - I died on this one. I charged the Warforge party and they promptly killed me before my hireling could get there. Stupid. Second time through, I had a really tough time in the big room. I tried taking out the sniping archers with my level 3 Niac's Cold Ray, but the archer's almost always made their save and took no damage. At some point, I guess my companion died. A little later, Frenzy and I were on one of the narrow walkways and Frenzy was charging some Quickfoot members when he fell off, leaving nothing between me and the Quickfoot thugs. I got way down on hp and had to start drinking pots. I finished the room with 4 sp. Once I got to the shrine, the rest of the level wasn't a problem. A quest reward of a wand of Scorching Ray. Woot! Time to dump the two wands of Niac's Cold Ray.

Quest #15 Where There's Smoke - When I have done the final battle before, I would hide behind the buildings and pick off the henchmen one by one, then tackle the boss when he doesn't have many troops left. This time, I stood out in the middle of the opening and threw spells while Byron and the companion chewed up the bad guys. Despite throwing a lot of False Lifes, I got down about halfway on my hp - that is a lot of damage for this build.

On my way to The Captives, I visited all the places of note in the Cerulean Hills and hit all the mini-dungeons. I was having a lot of troubles in the Cerulean Hills - the enemies are so spread out that Charm Person and Hypnotism don't provide much of a benefit. Then I started blasting things with Niac's and it went a lot better.

Quest #16 The Captives
    Quest #17 The Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth
    Quest #18 The Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos

I leveled up finishing the last available to me level 3 quest on Normal. At this point, I have done a lot of buying and selling at the AH and am up to 65K plat. Right now, I look to buy from the AH only collectables as they have the biggest opportunity to make money.
    End of Level 4

Edit 8/31/10: Changed some things based upon the experience of several characters
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 08-31-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Changed some things based upon the experience of several characters

Default Level 5

Level 5
    There were things I thought could be better with this build, so I restarted. I followed something similar and at level 5, I did the Hall of the Mark quest and then visited Fred to swap out Self Sufficient for Toughness. So here is the build after the swap:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34

Darstina 
    Level 5 True Neutral Drow Female
    (1 Rogue \ 4 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 64 (69 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 303 (353 with equipment)
    BAB: 2\2
    Fortitude: 2
    Reflex: 9
    Will: 3

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 5)            (Level 5)
    Strength              8                  8                    8
    Dexterity            10                 10                   10
    Constitution         12                 12                   12
    Intelligence         20                 22                   23
    Wisdom                8                  8                    8
    Charisma             16                 16                   16

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3

Skills - Net of levels 1 - 5
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Concentration (+8)
    Skill: Diplomacy (+4)
    Skill: Disable Device (+8)
    Skill: Haggle (+4)
    Skill: Heal (+2)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Open Lock (+4)
    Skill: Repair (+4)
    Skill: Search (+8)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+4)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+8)

Feats
    (Selected) Extend
    (Selected) Insightful Reflexes
    (Selected) Toughness

Enhancements
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Iron Companion
    Steel Companion
    Racial Toughness I
    Rogue Disable Device I
    Wizard Repair I
    Wizard Repair II
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Wand Mastery I
    Wizard Wand Heightening I
    Equipment
    Weapons: Wand of False Life, +1 Superior Freeze IV Scepter, +1 Superior Inferno II Club of Power II, +1 Evocation Heavy Mace, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter, Lightning Rod, various wands
    Head: +7 Concentration Helm
    Neck: +1 Protection Necklace, Archivist's Necklace
    Eyes: +5 Spot Googles, +5 Search Googles, +5 Disable Device Googles, Googles of Resist Energy: Fire
    Armor: Outfit of Invulnerability, Robe of Command
    Cloak: +2 Resistance Cloak, 3 Curative Cloaks
    Waist: Disease Immunity Belt of False Life, Belt of Jump
    Fingers: +3 Balance Ring, +5 Diplomacy Ring, Ring of Waterbreathing, Ring of Mage Armor
    Feet: Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing
    Hands: Arcane Gloves

My high UMD is working well for my equipment. The Helm is for Dwarves and has a UMD of 12 to put on. The Ring of Mage Armor is also for Dwarves and has a UMD of 8 to put on. I have an Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, which is UMD 15.

Leveling Up to 5
    I died on one quest, Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt. I had finished the quest, but while I was recalling Marguerite found me and I couldn't get away from her. I think if I had just clicked the altar, I would have gotten out. For the Catacombs quests, I got an Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, which is awesome because I can use it to cure myself or, more importantly, more non-WF hirelings for about 50 hp.

Adventures
    I started with the Sharn Syndicate quests:
    Quest #1 Stand Your Ground
    Quest #2 Dirty Laundry
    Quest #3 The Stormreaver Fresco
    Quest #4 The Bookbinder Rescue
    Quest #5 Repossession
    Quest #6 Come Out and Slay
    The quests all went pretty easy

At this point, I had some lower level quests that I need to catch up on.
    Quest #7 Stealthy Repossession - when I have done this before, I have done miserably. This time, I used Hypnotism to freeze the kobolds and the Lightning Rod to kill everyone but the prophets. With the Robe of Invulnerability, the kobolds rarely damaged me in melee

Quest #8 Redfang The Unruled
    Quest #9 The Captives
    Quest #10 Where There's Smoke...
    For those three quests, Niac's was awesome.

Quest #11 The Swiped Signet

Time to do some level 2 quests on Hard:
    Quest #12 Protect Baudry's Interest HARD
    Quest #13 Stop Hazadill's Shipment HARD
    Quest #14 Retrieve the Stolen Goods HARD

Now, to finish out the level 4 quests:
    Quest #15 Irestone Inlet - When I have done this with PUG's, I have always not been able to keep up with the group and consequently had no idea what was going on. Doing it solo, I was able to read all the text and know what was happening, making it much more enjoyable. I was really concerned about doing this solo. It was challenging and I got really low on HP's and SP's a number of times. Still, I made it through without dying

Quest #16 The Depths of Despair
    Quest #17 The Depts of Darkness
    Niac's is great for these two. Blowing up the Earth Elementals with one shot is fun.

Quest #18 Rest for the Restless - Arcane Skeletons are the enemy that this toon has the toughest time with. I was really glad I had the Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, as the battle near the end at the top of the ramp seriously depeleted the HP of both me and my hireling. I thought about running back to the shrine, but when I started to, the Arcane Skeletons rained damage down on us from above. I went to the bottom of the ramp, wiped out the wand, healed us up and then charged up for the final battle. I foolish didn't bring Scorching Ray on this quest, so I polished off the last 2 arcane skeletons with my wand of Fireball. It was really disappointing to not find a chest after the final battle.

Quest #19 Freshen the Air - I failed on this one. This is a really difficult quest with only one shrine near the end of the quest. My strategy was to cast lots of buffs (resist acid/fire, false life), kill everything prior to the big room, ignore mobs while smashing the big crates, heal up on the ramp, then kill everything from there on. By the time I got to the ramp, I was out of SP. My steel defender had timed out and I apparently failed when summoning the iron defender because I was being attacked. I got the door to the shrine open, but there were just too many enemies and I was too weak to continue. I ran back to an earlier part of the quest, killed anything that followed and then recalled.

Quest #20 Freshen the Air - I failed on this one. I charmed a lot of Trogs this time and I went much better. I made two major mistakes that I couldn't recover from. The first is that I lost track of my hireling, he went off and got himself killed and I didn't know where his stone was. The second was that when I threw the switch to open the door to the shrine, I thought there was another switch and I wound up in the nursery. My Niac's wand ran out and I didn't have a way of killing anything. I ran to a safe spot and recalled.

Quest #21 Freshen the Air - I died this time. I was doing well, destroyed the sixth box and decided to take out two Shamans who were shooting at me. The Niac's wand wasn't hitting and I didn't pay enough attention to my resist spells and my life until it was too late. I bought a Lightning wand to use instead of a Fireball wand, but it wasn't nearly as useful.

Quest #22 Freshen the Air - Finally completed this quest. I tried to not throw as many charms so as to maintain my SP's. Wands are what go me through the quest - Niac's, Fireball and Eternal Cure Minor Wounds, I probably should have taken a wand of Charm Person. The mistake I kept make was not turning off Extend after casting my buff spells, so I wasted a lot of SP on superlong Charms.

UMD comes through again. I bought a Clever Ring off the AH which is +3 INT, Dwarf race, UMD 12. I pop on my Robe of Command, put on the ring and my INT goes from 23 to 26, driving up my SP's from 353 to 379. my Search from 16 to 18, my Disable Device from 15 to 17 and INT modifer for DC of spells from +6 to +8. I had been casting Fox's cunning for the skill and DC boost, but I don't need to now, freeing up a level 2 spell slot. This is my second high UMD item, the other being a +7 Concentration helm for Dwarves.

Now, to do some level 2 quests, mainly for Coin Lord favor:
    Quest #23 Missing In Action HARD
    Quest #24 The Sunken Sewer HARD
    Quest #25 The Sunken Sewer ELITE - I died on this one. Did the quest and the boss battle, no problem. I ran into an optional boss (Trog Shaman) on the way to the exit and I thought, "No problem". I should have cast Fire Resist. I hit him with Niac's and Scorching Rays but he kept on kicking and hitting me with Fireballs until he killed me
    Quest #26 Bringing the Light HARD
    Quest #27 Bringing the Light ELITE
    Quest #28 Recovering the Lost Tome HARD
    Quest #29 Recovering the Lost Tome ELITE

I crossed 350K plat. It may cost me all of that for the two +2 tomes I want

Quest #30 The Kobolds' New Ringleader HARD
    Quest #31 The Kobolds' New Ringleader ELITE

I crossed 400k plat. I have enough money that I feel like buying some cheap (<10K) +1 tomes. The first I bought was Charisma. I am hoping to get a +3 race-specific charisma item so I can stop using the Robe of Command to put on my race specific items

Quest#32 Kobold Assault HARD - I had to recall. I tried hanging out inside the fort and got overwhelmed. I ran to the end of the road, killed the kobolds that followed me and then recalled
    Quest#33 Kobold Assault HARD - I went to the end of the road. There the kobolds won't spawn to attack you. I tried blasting my way through with Niac's and Fireball wands, but couldn't pull it off and eventually recalled
    Quest#34 Kobold Assault HARD - Success! I went to the end of the road again. What I would do is cast Exp Retreat, park the hireling, run up to the tree near the shrine, run back to the end of the road, charm with a wand one or two of the many kobolds that followed, run around the end section to make a difficult target for throwers and shamans, and wait for the hireling and the charmeds to kill the kobolds. Repeat lots of time. I heavily used the eternal wand of cure minor wounds. Around 80 kills, the spawning rate dropped. Eventually, I realized that spawning rate was low enough that I could stay near the fort and dispatch the steady stream of kobolds. It was a grind, but it felt good to finish

Quest 35 Missing In Action ELITE - Charm Person and Suggestion were failing most of the time. I cast Resist Acid, Electricity and Fire before each of the mini-boss battles and the Trog Shamans hit me with Ice Storm. I couldn't figure out how to turn off either of the traps. A tough run
    End of Level 5

Edit 9/2/10: Added Quest #19
    Edit 9/6/10: Added Quests #20-#22
    Edit 9/7/10: Added about Clever Ring
    Edit 9/10/10: Added Quests #23-#29
    Edit 9/14/10: Added Quests #30-#34
    Edit 9/15/10: Added Quest #35
    Edit 9/16/10: Added picture
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 09-16-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Updated with latest adventures

Default Level 6

Level 6

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.5.1

Darstina 
    Level 6 Chaotic Good Drow Female
    (1 Rogue \ 5 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 70 (80 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 324 (432 with equipment)
    BAB: 2\2
    Fortitude: 2 (4 with equipment)
    Reflex: 9 (13 with equipment)
    Will: 7 (9 with equipment)
    Spell Resistance: 11

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement       Equiped
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats   Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 6)            (Level 6)
    Strength              8                  8                    8                    8
    Dexterity            10                 10                   10                   10
    Constitution         12                 12                   12                   12
    Intelligence         20                 22                   23                   26
    Wisdom                8                  8                    8                    8
    Charisma             16                 17                   17                   17

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 5

Ending           Feat/Enhancement       Equiped
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills   Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 6)            (Level 6)   (Level 6)
    Balance               4                     4                     4
    Bluff                 3                     3                     3
    Concentration         9                     9                    16
    Diplomacy             7                     7                    12
    Disable Device       15                    16                    23
    Haggle                7                     7                     7
    Heal                  1                     1                     1
    Hide                  0                     0                     0
    Intimidate            3                     3                     3
    Jump                  3                     3                     8
    Listen               -1                     1                     1
    Move Silently         0                     0                     0
    Open Lock             4                     4                     7
    Perform              n/a                    n/a                   n/a
    Repair               10                    12                    14
    Search               15                    17                    24
    Spot                  4                     6                    11
    Swim                 -1                    -1                    -1
    Tumble                4                     4                     4
    Use Magic Device     12                    12                    14

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Skill: Spot (+1)
    Feat: (Selected) Force of Personality
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell
    Spell (3): Frost Lance
    Spell (3): Haste

All Feats After Leveling Up
    (Selected) Extend
    Feat: (Selected) Force of Personality
    Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell (bad choice)
    (Selected) Toughness

All Enhancements
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Iron Companion
    Steel Companion
    Racial Toughness I
    Rogue Disable Device I
    Wizard Repair I
    Wizard Repair II
    Wizard Lineage of Elements I
    Wizard Elemental Manipulation II
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Wand and Scroll Mastery I
    Equipment
    Weapons: +1 Scepter of Power VII, +1 Superior Freeze IV Scepter, Superior Inferno II Club of Power II, +1 Fire Lore Scepter, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter
    Neck: +1 Protection Necklace, Archivist's Necklace
    Eyes: +5 Spot Googles, +5 Search Googles, +5 Disable Device Googles, Googles of Resist Energy: Fire
    Armor: Outfit of Invulnerability, Robe of Command
    Cloak: +2 Resistance Cloak, 3 Curative Cloaks, Cloak of Invisibility
    Waist: Belt of False Life (+10 HP), Belt of Jump
    Fingers: +3 Intelligence Ring, +5 Diplomacy Ring, Ring of Waterbreathing, Ring of Mage Armor
    Feet: Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing, Boots of Halt Undead

Wands
    I have such a big collection of wands now that it makes sense to break them out separately
    Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, False Life, Fireball, Frost Lance, Suggestion, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Resist Energy, Detect Secret Doors, Remove Curse, Cure Moderate Wounds, Eagle's Splendor (6th)

If I use the Wand of Eagle's Splendor and put on the Robe of Command, I have a 60% chance of casting the wand of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Adventures
    Quest #1 Archer Point Defense - Failed. I killed enough enemies but didn't find their leader before time ran out

Quest #2 Archer Point Defense - Failed. I found the leader this time, but I apparently allowed the enemies to regroup. I ran out of SP's too quick in the quest. I should go North, then East to the Shrines, heal, then finish the quest. My level 6 hireling isn't taking any damage, but both my Iron and Steel Defenders were killed. Also, I should use the Suggestion wand instead of casting Charm Person to save SP's

My sales of collectables on the AH have dropped off - I haven't sold any Deadly Feverblanches in a while when they used to be one of most reliable sells. I bought some Luminscent Dusts and they haven't sold.

After the frustration of failing twice, I decided to take it easy and complete some level 2 quests:
    Quest #3 Information is Key HARD
    Quest #4 Information is Key ELITE
    Quest #5 Misery's Peak HARD
    Quest #6 Walk the Butcher's Path HARD
    Quest #7 Durk's Got A Secret HARD

I keep running out of inventory space, so I am switching back to Coin Lord quests
    Quest #8 Stand Your Ground HARD
    Quest #9 Dirty Laundry HARD
    Quest #10 Clan Gnashtooth HARD - For the big kobold battles, I typically charm two fighters and then toss Niac's at the Shamans
    Quest #11 Rescuing Arlos HARD
    Quest #12 Clan Tunnelworm HARD - I hate oozes. I don't have a spell that is very good at killing them. I have been using Electric Loop. My hireling lost his sword to oozes and was reduced to punching. I may have been able to finish the quest. I was down the hole with plenty of SP and wands, but I had to leave the house.
    Quest #13 Clan Tunnelworm HARD - I hate oozes. Again, my hireling lost his sword to oozes. I tried something different on the North part - park the hireling, cast Protection from Acid, don't turn off the acid in the tunnel, run to the end of the tunnel, throw the switches, run back. I should have done North, then South, rested, East, down the hole, secret door if I have SP's, rest, then final battle. I managed to make it through

Quest #14 Protect Baudry's Interests ELITE - I did this as I was waiting for an auction to finish. Failed as the kobolds smashed the box. I started this quest trying to charm kobolds and I failed probably more than half the time. I was doing my usual stuff for this quest - parked the hireling by the box and zipped around smashing boxes. I guess I am going to have to more actively guard the box

I decided to swap out Heighten Spell and take Spell Focus: Enchantment in its place. Two reasons for this - Charm Person is failing too often on Elite and Suggestion with Spell Focus: Enchantment should have a better DC. The second reason is that Heighten Spell is a pain to use. I have to turn it on and while it boosts the DC of first level spells, it also doubles their cost. When I have been doing the quests on Hard, I want it on for Charm Person and Hypnotism, but I then unintentionally leave it on when I am casting Niac's and at the double SP cost, my blue bar shrinks too fast. With Spell Focus: Enchantment, it is always on and it doesn't cost any additional SP.

I wish I had more level 1 spell slots as I am still using Shield, Niac's, Hypnotism and Charm Person on almost every quest and I wish I could take more level 1 spells like Burning Hands. I wish I could buy a wand of Shield 6th. OTOH, I am rarely using my level 2 spells. I use wands for all the level 2 buffs in order to save SP's. Scorching Ray is a good damage spell for hitting throwers. I would use Electric Loop more if I could find a Superior Spark weapon. Beyond that, I can't find a level 2 spell that fits my style.

In one of those "D'oh" moments, I realized today that I need to start using Eagle's Splendor as a buff. I hate every second when I am held and now that I have Force of Personality, buffing my charisma will reduce the number of times I am held. I am thinking about switching to a Robe with Spell Resist 15 instead of my Robe of Invulnerability to reduce even more the odds of being held.

Quest #15 Venn's Fate HARD - Such a disappointing quest. After three quests that feature a lot of interesting multi-level battles, you just wander around in this one until you find all that you want to find. I realized after the last quest that my Superior Inferno until boosted spells up to level 2, so my Fireballs weren't getting boosted. I bought a Superior Inferno III weapon and I am really liking Fireball. Before when I popped a door with a bunch of kobolds behind it, I would immediately cast Hypnotism to freeze them in place. Now, I toss a Fireball or two to kill the lot. I took an eternal wand of acid splash as my reward

Quest #16 Garrison's Missing Pack HARD

Got enough favor to get my fifth inventory tab. Now to finish the level 2 quests

Quest #17 The Smuggler's Warehouse HARD
    Quest #18 Stealthy Repossession HARD - Lots of tries before I got this one done. On one try, I got to the final room but instead of grabbing the eye, I tried to kill a shaman and the fifth prophet jumped in front of him. One thing I learned is that a charmed prophet will still sound the alarm, bring out guys who will then start wailing on him. Here's how I did it - as soon as I enter, cast Invisibility then cast the rest of my buffs, sneaked into the first room, held the first prophet, Niaced the second prophet, popped the gate, Niaced the kobolds I could see, ran and threw the switch, ran down through the second gate, cast a Hypnotic Pattern in the hallway to freeze everyone, ran to the end of the hallway, opened the doors, fireballed away, threw the switch, jumped out of there, another Hypnotic Pattern, ran through the room with the next prophet, Niaced the shaman on the bridge, held the next prophet, up the ladder to the switch, healed up there and recast any needed buffs, down the ladder to the other switch, ran down the down ramp, ran to the end of the hallway, waited for the gate to open, grabbed the eye, ran out the other exit, ran back to the ladder to the switch, recalled from there.

Quest #18 Stealthy Repossession ELITE - same plan as hard except hit the other green switch before going up the ladder

I hit the 75 Free Agent favor level, which isn't too exciting as I am using +4 lock picks I bought from the AH.

I have done on the level 2 quests on either hard or elite, so I am going to run the Catacombs on hard
    Quest #19 The Friar's Niece HARD - I am loving the eternal wand of acid splash. When I took it, I thought it would do 1-3 damage, but it does 1-3 damage plus caster level and its caster level is 5 so it does 8-10 damage. When there is just one or two enemies, I wipe it out and blast away
    Quest #20 Return to the Sanctuary HARD
    Quest #21 The Old Archives HARD
    Quest #22 The Crypt of Gerard Dryden HARD
    Quest #23 Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral HARD
    Quest #24 Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt HARD
    Quest #25 Endgame: Marguerite HARD
    Quest #26 Endgame: The Archbishop's Fate HARD
    I took Marguerite's Necklace, which I might wear eventually. My primary spell was a superior-boosted fireball. I had problems with some casts hitting the ceiling. I don't know what I was doing wrong - I faced an enemy, clicked the spell and sometimes it would go up at like a 45 degree angle out of range of vision.

Time to finish the level 2 quests on Elite:
    Quest #27 Protect Baudry's Interests ELITE
    Quest #28 Stop Hazadill's Shipment ELITE
    Quest #29 Retrieve the Stolen Goods ELITE
    Quest #30 The Smuggler's Warehouse ELITE
    Quest #31 Garrison's Missing Pack ELITE
    Quest #32 Walk the Butcher's Path ELITE
    End of Level 6

Edit 9/16/10: Leveled up
    Edit 9/17/10: Added Quests #1-#2
    Edit 9/18/10: Added Quests #3-#7
    Edit 9/19/10: Added Quests #8-#13
    Edit 9/20/10: Added Quests #14-#15
    Edit 9/21/10: Added Quests #16-#18
    Edit 9/23/10: Added Quests #19-#21
    Edit 9/24/10: Added Quests #22-#26
    Edit 9/26/10: Added Quests #27-#30
    Edit 9/28/10: Added Quests #31-#32
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 09-28-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added more adventures

Default Level 7

Level 7

Code:

Darstina 
    Level 7 Chaotic Good Drow Female
    (1 Rogue \ 6 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 86 (110 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 385 (485 with equipment)
    BAB: 3\3
    Fortitude: 3 (7 with equipment)
    Reflex: 11 (15 with equipment)
    Will: 8 (10 with equipment)

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement         Equiped
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats       Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 7)            (Level 7)            (Level 7)
    Strength              8                  8                    8                    8
    Dexterity            10                 10                   10                   10
    Constitution         12                 12                   16                   16
    Intelligence         20                 23                   25                   28
    Wisdom                8                  8                    8                    8
    Charisma             16                 17                   17                   17

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7

Ending           Feat/Enhancement           Equiped
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills       Modified Skills
    Skills            (Level 7)             (Level 7)             (level 7)
    Bluff                 3                     3                     3
    Concentration        11                    11                    20
    Diplomacy             7                     7                     7
    Disable Device       17                    17                    26
    Haggle                7                     7                    10
    Intimidate            3                     3                     3
    Listen               -1                     1                     4
    Open Lock             4                     4                     9
    Repair               11                    13                    15
    Search               17                    19                    26
    Spot                  4                     6                    16
    Use Magic Device     13                    13                    15

Level 7 (Wizard)
    Spell (3): Chain Missiles
    Spell (3): Acid Blast

(Selected) Extend
    (Selected) Force of Personality
    (Selected) Spell Focus: Necromancy
    (Selected) Toughness

All Enhancements
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Iron Companion
    Steel Companion
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Repair I
    Wizard Repair II
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Equipment
    Weapons: +1 Scepter of Power VII, +1 Superior Freeze IV Scepter, 2xSuperior Inferno III Scepter, +1 Superior Spark III Light Mace of Power III, (Superior Erosion weapon), +1 Fire Lore Scepter, +1 Ice Lore Scepter, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter, +1 Evocation Heavy Mace
    Neck: Marguerite's Necklace, Archivist's Necklace
    Eyes: +10 Spot Googles, +5 Search Googles, +7 Disable Device Googles, Googles of Resist Energy: Fire
    Armor: Robe of Spell Resistance (17), Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Invulnerability, Robe of Command, Deathblock Robe of Lesser Acid Resistance, 2 Vestments of Light
    Cloak: +2 Resistance Cloak, Cloak of Invisibility
    Waist: +4 Constitution Belt, Belt of Jump
    Fingers: +3 Intelligence Ring, Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Waterbreathing, Ring of Mage Armor

Wands
    I have such a big collection of wands now that it makes sense to break them out separately
    Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, Eternal Wand of Acid Splash, Hold Person, Niac's 5th, Cat's Grace, Acid Blast, Detect Secret Doors, False Life, Protection from Energy, Suggestion, Bull's Strength, Blur, Eagle's Splendor (6th), Cure Moderate Wounds

If I use the Wand of Eagle's Splendor and put on the Robe of Command, I have a 65% chance of casting the wand of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Adventures
    Just before I levelled up, I reset my enhancements so that I could get Wiz Int II when I levelled up. After I levelled up, I decide to swap out Spell Focus: Enchantment. I have been nuking stuff with Fireball and Niac's instead of casting CC. However, I then realized that if I took Spell Focus: Necromancy, I could get Pale Master. I decided to do that, but to get Pale Master I need to reset my enhancements. So it will be a bit before I can actually get Pale Master.

I am going to finish the level 2 quests:
    Quest #1 Durk's Got A Secret ELITE
    Quest #2 Misery's Peak ELITE

At this time, I can reset my enhancements to get Pale Master. I dropped Racial Toughness II, Wizard Elemental Manipulation II and Wizard Intelligence II and picked up Pale Master I and Summon Skeletal Knight. It hurt to drop Wizard Intelligence II, but I will pick it back up with my next AP. I can run the Skeletal Knight and the Iron Defender at the same time, which should be interesting. I may possibly be able to go with a Wizard or a Sorcerer hireling instead of a melee hireling.

I have so many low level quest options that I have decided that I can't get them all up to Elite. Instead, I am going to focus on chain quests that I have purchased.

Quest #3 The Mystery of Delera's Tomb - The Defenders didn't play nice with the Skeletal Knight. Too often, the Skeletal Knight was on its back because of the grease. I am going to try the Earth Elemental (Summon V) with the Skeletal Knight to see how it compares. I don't care for this quest as it is so slow going. I had only done this quest once before with a level 6 Axesinger and he was killed by all of the Ghostly Skeletons in the room with the note. This time, I tossed Fireballs until they were dead.

I bought a +2 CON tome from the AH for like 220k. Score! Someone told me that I should pay more than 150k for one off the trade channel. However, I could never find on the trade channel anyone who wanted to sell me one. I still have 215k plat, so I could afford to overpay in order to get one ASAP.

Some other recent purchases - +1 Greater Ice Lore scepter, +1 Greater Fire Lore sickle, +1 Superior Erosion IV Dagger, +1 Superior Inferno V Heavy Mace, +7 Open Lock Gloves

I am looking for a +3 Charisma helm. Another alternative would be a +3 Charisma cloak. I have rarely seen them on the AH and their prices have been out of sight.

Another thing I like to buy off the AH are wands. I can usually find wands at my level selling for significantly less than base price. At level 7, I can easily find one shot killer wands - Scorching Ray 7th, which does 8-48 with no save, and Frost Lance 7th, which does 8-80 with a Fortitude save. However, I haven't been seeing any useful AOE wands.

Quest #4 Valak's Mausoleum - I ran out of time. I spent too much time trying to find the two wheels. I tried summoning a earth elemental, failed, then I couldn't use a summons scroll for a long time. When I did get the Earth Elemental summoned, he was no great shakes. However, having two melee summons and a wizard hireling worked really well

Quest #5 Valak's Mausoleum - I went with the hellhound summons this time and he worked quite well with the skeletal knight. I finished with 14 seconds to spare.

I decided to reset my enhancements to drop the defenders. I dropped Wizard Repair I, Wizard Repair II, Iron Companion and Steel Companion, freeing up 7 action points. I have enjoyed the defenders. Early on, I didn't miss the used AP's and preferred saving my spell slots for spells besides summons. Now, there are a lot more enhancements I want than what I have AP's for. Also, I don't have any problem dedicating a level 3 spell slot to a summons. So my enhancements are now:
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Elven Enchantment Resistance I
    Racial Toughness I
    Wizard Energy Manipulation I
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Pale Master I

Quest #6 The Forgotten Caverns - Fairly easy. I couldn't kill the first set of ochre jellies - they seemed to just respawn at full strength. I had to use the skeleton instead of the skeletal knight. He seemed OK. Plenty of shrines so I had plenty of SP's for toasting stuff.

I got an AP, so I used it for Summon Skeletal Knight I.

Quest #7 Ruined Halls - I accepted this quest a while ago, so I don't remember the back story for this quest. Man, what a bunch of random encounters thrown together without rhyme or reason. The last room looked really interesting, but without a story connected to it, it made no sense.

Quest #8 The Bounty Hunter - I got knocked down to like 32 hp and the hireling died in the trapped jumping area. I would hate to think what that is like on ELITE. Otherwise, no big problems

All of the quests now seem to take a really long time. May be it is because I am into quests I haven't played before. I really like my equipment now, though I still check the AH for race-specific items. The downside to that is that the items I get are usually useless.

I am up to 367 Favor. The early quests are mainly Coin Lords and Free Agents. Now, they are mainly divided amount the 4 houses. My favor with those houses: D - 17, J - 14, K - 14, P - 15. I am not going to hit 75 favor with a house any time soon.

Quest #9 Caged Trolls - The first time I have ever seen Blackbone Thrall skeletons. As they are both fire and cold immune, I would get into situations where my wizard hireling would waste SP's constantly casting fire attacks on them that did no damage. I whipped out my Eternal Wand of Acid Splash to help out the Skeletal Knight and the hellhound.

Quest #10 Dead Predators - The hireling, Skeletal Knight and hellhound killed most everything without my help.

I am thinking about dumping Extend. The only spell I am currently extending is Shield. One possibility is to pick up Maximize, respec my enhancements, take Wizard Improved Maximizing I instead of Improved Spell Resistance I and Wizard Energy Manipulation I. Maximized Fireballs and Acid Blasts would be pretty sweet, but burn a lot of SP. However, I am leaning towards Augment Summoning, as I am so dependent on my summons.

Quest #11 Mirra's Sleepless Nights - Fun little quest. I read the journal at the end when it would have made the quest make more sense if I had read it earlier. For the quest reward, the two best choices were wands - Eagle's Splendor 6th or Phantasmal Killer. I went with the Eagle's Splendor 6th as (1) I don't have one, (2) I may need it if I buy a +2 CHR tome and (3) I think it is more valuable on the AH than the PK wand

Quest #12 Purge the Heretics - slaughtering people because of their faith makes me squeamish, even in a game.

I swapped out Extend for Augment Summoning. My summons were killing everything in sight before, so the quests should be even easier.

Quest #13 Archer Point Defense - There was an Ogre Shaman? I guess the hireling and the summons killed him. I am frequently unsure if the hellhound is alive or dead. I got whacked on pretty bad by the Hobgoblin chief. I think I missed two chests

My son and I have a guild and as he hasn't played for a while, it is mainly me that is leveling up the guild. It hit level 9 when I took guild points as a quest reward. 14,000 more points until I can start buying tiny guild enhancements.

Reading on the forums, I read yet another post saying that I should turn auto-targeting off, so I did. Before I turned off auto-targeting, I played by using the A-S-D-W keys and using the mouse to do everything buy move. Without auto-targeting, that didn't work for me - I had to stop moving to hit the tab key to target anything. So I decided to try something different - use the arrow keys for movement and use the 1-4 keys for my combat spells (Fireball, Acid Blast, Scorching Ray, Niac's). When I am out of combat, I go back to A-S-D-W keys for movement and the mouse for everything else. That approach seems to be more effective, but I am not sure the increased effectiveness is worth the hassle.

Quest #14 The Depths of Discord
    Quest #15 Gladewatch Outpost - Many failures. I tried following MrCow's advice here, which is to run around outside the fort for 15 minutes until the ogre chief appears. Well, the first few tries I discovered that you have to stay pretty close to the entrance of the fort or you will fail. Even after I stayed close to the fort, I would fail after 7-8 minutes. Perhaps when my Exp Retreat timed out it trigger the event that cause the failure? I will try this quest at a higher level

Quest #16 The Depths of Doom
    Quest #17 The Lair of Summoning

That is all the level 5 and 6 quests that aren't for parties. Now, time to get all of my level 3 quests up to HARD
    Quest #18 Redfang the Unruled HARD

I hit 400 favor. Yeah! Now I can play a Drow. Oh, wait a minute...

Quest #19 The Swiped Signet HARD - I died on this one. The archers in the big room keep plinking away at me and I was so focused on killing everybody in the big room that I didn't notice how low my life got

Quest #20 The Swiped Signet HARD - Still struggled in the big room, but paid a lot more attention to my life this time
    Quest #21 Where There's Smoke HARD

Quest #22 Proof is in the Poison - The first time I did a Very Long quest. It was very long - it took me about 1.5 hours to do. I burned up several wands. I probably should have gone with a melee hireling as the Wizard hireling ran out of SP several times and then was mostly useless

Quest #23 The Captives HARD

I got all of my level 3 quests up to HARD. Now, to get my level 4 quests up to HARD

I have given up on having auto-target off. It just didn't work for me. I have turned it back on

Quest #24 Repossession HARD
    Quest #25 The Depths of Despair HARD
    Quest #26 The Depths of Darkness HARD - The final battle was kind of scary as I was getting whacked on by the boss and my life was getting low

I have probably made a million plat in the last few months buying and selling collectables on the AH. With the U7, I just don't see being able to make money like that any more. I am going to try to figure out a new way to make money. I spent about an hour looking at different items to bid on. Buying a weapon or armor for cheap off the AH and selling to a pawn vendors doesn't work anymore. With ritual collectables, I am trying to bid on the ones that are cheap and have no buyout price or too high of a buyout price to see if that we will work. I have bids on 1 vial of pure water, 6 sparkling dusts, 2 luminescent dusts, 1 small eberron dragonshard fragment and 1 ancient giant relic. I am also trying the siberys dragonshard market. I can buy siberys dragonshard fragments for 1 pp each. On the AH, flawed siberys dragonshards have a starting buyout price of ~500 (5 plat per siberys dragonshard fragment), imperfect siberys dragonshards have a starting buyout price of ~3800 (3.8 plat per siberys dragonshard fragment), siberys dragonshards have a starting buyout price of ~14,000 (1.4 plat per siberys dragonshard fragment) and exceptional siberys dragonshards have a starting buyout price of ~220,000 (2.2 plat per siberys dragonshard fragment). The question is how much of a demand there is. I have 2 flawed and 2 imperfect listed. Yet another possibility is cakes and cookies. I don't have a feel for which ones are in demand. I bought some hound cakes, but I am going to keep them for very long quests. I have bid on 2 Xoriat cakes. The last possibility I am looking at are elixirs of mnemonic enhancement. I am bidding on 26 of different strengths.

Quest #27 The Bookbinder Rescue HARD - Odd, fireball made some doors disappear but I still had to open one
    Quest #28 Come Out and Slay HARD
    Quest #29 Rest for the Restless HARD - I should have cast resist elements before the big battle

My collectables are rarely selling on the AH though they seem priced OK. So far, the best way of making money still seems to be buying collectables at a low price and reselling them. Another item I am trying to buy from the AH and then re-list is arrows. I am buying arrows that are selling for less than half base value. I think arrows would be one of the few items that people will want to buy a set (100) over multiple buys of a lesser amount. My wealth right now is 350K. I want to buy a +2 CHR Tome, but I don't have any other purchases planned.

I spent a lot of time doing the Mabar festival. It was a lot of fun and I wound up with a +7 Eternal Wand of Disrupt Undead. I decided to get to level 8 before I faced the dragon, so I did a couple of quick adventures to get me there.

Quest #30 The Friar's Niece ELITE
    Quest #31 Return to the Sanctuary ELITE
    End of Level 7

Edit 9/30/10: Leveled up
    Edit 10/1/10: Added Quests #1-#2
    Edit 10/4/10: Added Quests #3-#6
    Edit 10/6/10: Added Quests #7-#8
    Edit 10/7/10: Added Quests #9-#10
    Edit 10/8/10: Added Quests #11-#13
    Edit 10/11/10: Added Quests #14-#15
    Edit 10/23/10: Added Quests #16-#22
    Edit 10/24/10: Added Quests #23-#26
    Edit 10/27/10: Added Quests #27-#29
    Edit 11/1/10: Added Quests #30-#31
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 11-01-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added more adventures

Default Level 8

Level 8

Code:

Darstina 
    Level 8 True Neutral Drow Female
    (1 Rogue \ 7 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 105 (131 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 473 (485 with equipment)
    BAB: 3\3
    Fortitude: 4 (8 with equipment)
    Reflex: 12 (15 with equipment)
    Will: 8 (12 with equipment)

Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats       Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 8)            (Level 8)            (Level 8)
    Constitution         12                 14                   16                   18
    Intelligence         20                 24                   26                   29
    Charisma             16                 17                   17                   20

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 8
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 8

Skills            (Level 8)             (Level 8)             (level 8)
    Bluff                 3                     3                     5
    Concentration        13                    13                    18
    Diplomacy             7                     7                     9
    Disable Device       19                    19                    27
    Haggle                7                     7                    9
    Intimidate            3                     3                     5
    Listen               -1                     1                     4
    Open Lock             4                     4                     11
    Repair               12                    12                    15
    Search               19                    21                    29
    Spot                  5                     7                    17
    Use Magic Device     14                    14                    18

Level 8 (Wizard)
    Ability Raise: INT
    Spell (4): Dimension Door
    Spell (4): Wall of Fire

(Selected) Extend
    (Selected) Toughness

All Enhancements
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Pale Master I
    Enhancement: Summon Skeletal Knight
    Enhancement: Summon Skeleton Archer
    Equipment
    This is probably the first time I didn't do a lot of buying after leveling up
    [COLOR="Wheat"]Weapons: +2 Scepter of Power VIII, +1 Superior Freeze IV Scepter, +1 Superior Inferno V Heavy Mace, +1 Superior Inferno IV Dagger, +1 Superior Spark III Light Mace of Power III, +1 Superior Erosion IV Dagger, +2 Major Fire Lore Club, +2 Major Ice Lore Scepter, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter
    Head: +3 Intelligence, +3 Concentration Helm
    Eyes: +10 Spot Googles, +7 Search Googles, +7 Disable Device Googles, Googles of Resist Energy: Fire
    Armor: Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Invulnerability, Robe of Command, Deathblock Robe of Lesser Acid Resistance, Robe of Prayer, 2 Vestments of Light
    Cloak: +2 Resistance Cloak, Cloak of Invisibility, Cloak of Improved Fire Resistance
    Wrist: Evocation Bracers, 2 Bracers of Assistance
    Waist: +4 Constitution Belt, Belt of Jump
    Fingers: Spell Resistance (15), Charisma +3, Ring of Waterbreathing, Ring of Mage Armor

Eternal Wands
    Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, Eternal Wand of Acid Splash, +7 Eternal Wand of Disrupt Undead

If I put on the Robe of Command, I have a 70% chance of casting the wand of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Adventures
    All the quests I want to do now are either Long or Very Long. It is rare that I have the time to do those long of quests, so I will be playing an alt quite a bit.

Quest #1 The Missing Party - I went with a level 8 Fighter hireling as I was concerned a Wizard would run out of SP. No problem through most of the quest. I was getting close to what I discovered later was the end when I found a shrine. As I still had plenty of SP's, I passed it up. I continued on and found another shrine. I was about to rest because I was almost out of SP's when I heard some more fighting. I checked it out and it turned out to be the final room with the big battle there. I ran around for a while, but Skeleton Arcus were steadily dinging away and my team wasn't killing anything I could tell. I fled the room and ran quite a distance away. The team dispatch the final boss, I rested then cleaned up the skeletons. I missed the journal, so I didn't know I finished the quest. I then backtracked to the pool and spent lots of time trying to get through the pool. Finally, I hit the forums, discovered I can't get through the pool on my own and that I don't need to to finish the quest, went back to the final room and picked up the journal

Quest #2 Free Delera - I read on the forums that having a hireling scales the quest in difficulty. I don't know if that is true and how much more difficult a quest would be, but I thought I would drop the hireling to see how I would do. I didn't have a lot of troubles using a skeleton knight and a greater air mephit. The +7 Eternal Wand of Disrupt Undead was huge for killing all the Skeletons Arcus.

Quest #3 Return to Delera's Tomb - The easiest quest ever - just go in, talk to Delera and I was done

Quest #4 Thrall of the Necromancer - Again no hireling and again no problem. I took the Voice of the Master

Quest #5 The Old Archives ELITE - No hireling and had a little bit of problem

Quest #6 Freshen the Air HARD - I decided to use the Level 8 Sorcerer hireling and he rocked. He never ran out of SP's while inflicting lots of damage

Quest #7 Irestone Inlet HARD - Again, the sorcerer rocked and I didn't have any problems. We charged each camp, I threw a firewall, the sorcerer and my minions would then attack the mobs that survived the firewall. I would throw some Niac's and it was time to loot the camp.

I wasn't using the skeleton archer and I wanted to drop the Drow SR, so I reset my enhancements:

Rogue Skill Boost I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Lineage of Energy I
    Wizard Elemental Manipulation III
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Pale Master I
    Summon Skeletal Knight
    Acid is my secondary attack, but I only cast it in big battles when I don't want to wait for the cool down on Fireball.

Quest #8 Irestone Inlet ELITE - A lot more difficult than HARD. The initial Firewall didn't kill as many and the ones that got through hit hard. I haven't been casting Blur on myself and I should have this time. The Sorcerer again didn't have problems with SP.

Quest #9 The Crypt of Gerald Dryden ELITE - I changed to a level 8 Cleric. I screwed up in that I didn't change my spells from Irestone Inlet. Not hard but a boring grind

Quest #10 Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral ELITE
    Quest #11 Setting the Wards: The Patriarchs' Crypt ELITE

Quest #12 Endgame: Marguerite ELITE - I went back to the Sorcerer and he rocked. I would toss a firewall in the spawn area and the sorcerer would kill everything that made it through

Quest #13 Endgame: The Archbishop's Fate ELITE - The wraith didn't even knock out all my temp hit points before we nuked him. There was one undead left after the initial flurry of spells

Quest #14 Redfang the Unruled ELITE

Quest #15 The Swiped Signet ELITE - I died on this one. I was taking a lot of damage from the archers in the big room. I ran up to the top where the WF party was to heal, got hit once more and died. The sorcerer wasn't as useful for this quest as the enemies in the big room tend to come one by one. Also, I should have used Resist Fire but didn't

Quest #16 - Where There's Smoke ELITE
    Quest #17 - The Captives ELITE

Quest #18 The Swiped Signet ELITE - I had a really tough time again. I went with a level 8 WF Fighter hireling. I used Resist Fire in the big room this time, but the archers still chewed me up quickly. I kept running behind a pillar in the corner and healing up there. I finally got smart and cast Invisibility on myself. The archers didn't shoot me and the WF fighter was able to kill everyone in our path. For the quest reward, the best item was a stinking 100 plat robe

Quest #19 Kobold Assault ELITE - In keeping with how I managed to do the The Swiped Signet, I sneaked most of this quest and let the level 8 WF fighter hireling Tower do most of the fighting. I buffed him up, summoned the skeletal knight and the greater ice mephit and then went into sneak. The mephit didn't last long, but the skeletal knight did. Eventually, I had to pop up and heal/rebuff Tower. I burnt threw my SP's quickly once I got involved. Then I went back to sneaking as much as I could

Quest #20 Gladewatch Outpost - With U7, you fail if the commander is killed instead of if anyone gets into the fort. I tried parking Tower with the commander, but he followed me outside and killed lots of guys. That wasn't what I wanted him to do, after a couple of minutes the mission failed

Quest #21 Proof is in the Poison HARD - 80 minutes to complete this quest. Again, I had Tower and again I tried to sneak as much as I could and let him and the summons do most of the fighting. My wand of serious repair ran out. I went back to the shrine to prepare for the final battle and I couldn't rest I spent my last SP's on repairing Tower and used wands from the silver door on. I was really concerned that I would spend all that time and then wipe, but a wand of Frost Lance 7th kicked Thal Masmataz.

I had 2 Action Points. It was a tough choice between Wizard Lineage of Elements II and Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements I. I went the former.

Quest #22 Gladewatch Outpost - I finally figured the quest out. I cast Stoneskin on the commander and it was pretty easy from there. Again, I buffed Tower, summoned my summons and hid myself. Tower did a great job of killing everything.

I decided to go whole hog with the "buff the fighter hireling" approach. I swapped out Augment Summoning for Extend. I was thinking of casting extended Displacement and Fire Shield. However, I don't have Displacement and I can't find a scroll for it. Fire Shield is a caster only spell, so it isn't useful. So getting Extend was a mistake.

Quest #23 Redwillow's Ruins - So I buff Tower with Heroism, Blur and Stoneskin. I cast Invisibility on me. I summon a Lantern Archon and a Skeletal Warrior. Then we are off for a lovely walk in the woods. Tower killed everything in sight while taking little damage. I discovered that I can use my Vestments of Light to heal Tower, which I hadn't thought of doing before. I mostly watched, recasting spells as need. I would occasionally smash boxes and pop chests, ending my invisibility. One time, a Bugbear Rogue warped in next me and started attacking me. I think that was the only time I got hit. Using Invisibility instead of sneaking allowed me to get through the quest a lot faster. Unfortunately, I went left at the start of the quest when I need to go right to find Redwillow and start the quest plot. I wandered around killing things and gathering items, but I had no idea why. Still, a fun quest with a lot of atmosphere. The final battle was the first time I have seen a giant. I thought about tossing some fireballs, but lurking had done me well up until then so I kept lurking

Quest #24 The Iron Mines: Freeing Achka - I had put off the Sorrowdusk Isle quests because (1) this quest is level 6 but the wilderness area to get to it is level 7 and (2) I was concerned I would burn through my SP's before I got to the quest. Now that I am using the "buff the fighter hireling" approach, SP's aren't much of an issue. Tower romped. The only damage we took was from the trap on the bridge. Smashing stuff in Sorrowdusk drops new items - mainly armor but a Potion of Wonder.

I can level up to 9 now, but I am going to put it off for a bit. I have a lot of level 7 quests that I would like to do while I can get full experience. I went to Fred and got Augment Summoning instead of Extend. So Tower and my summons are even more powerful.

Quest #25 The Grey Moon's Den: The Trollish Scourge
    Quest #26 The Grey Moon's Den: Extermination

Quest #27 Gwylan's Stand - I mistakenly bailed on this quest. I found the first two cylinders and when I picked them up, I was burdened. Darstina could only carry 290 pounds and the cylinders weigh 100 pounds each. I found the supplies by the first shrine and I assumed that those were the supplies I was looking for. I tried to use the cylinders I had and nothing happened. I then incorrectly guessed that I had to have all 8 cylinders before I could start using them. I quit the quest.

I went to the AH and bought a tome of +2 STR. I had been wondering what to do with my money and there was one for a good price. I then put into storage everything I could to get my weight down to ~55 pounds.

Quest #28 Gwylan's Stand - I used dimension door for the first time to go back to the entrance after I grabbed the cylinders deep in the Troll lair so I would haven't to swim with over 500 pounds of encumbrance. I had to cast Bull's Strength regularly for most of the quest so the I could move with the cylinders. Interesting quest with lots of traps and tough battles.

It was Mabar Festival time during Thanksgiving, so I did a lot of undead slaying and mote collecting. Upgraded my wand of Wand of Disrupt Undead to +9.

Quest #29 The Graverobber - A boring quest. Walk down a generic dark corridor, kill a bunch of undead, repeat until the final boss is dead. The newly upgraded Wand of Disrupt Undead was a real help.

Quest #30 Taming the Flames - I bailed on this quest. When I got to one big chamber, I apparently needed to go down and to the South when I went North instead. I got to the shrine, but I didn't have a key. The fire elementals respawned on my way back to the big chamber and I was out of SP's by the time I got back there

It this point, I decided to upgrade to level 9. Reading about "Taming the Flames" on DDOwiki, it would be nice to have evasion for that quest and I get it when I take my second Rogue level. Also, I am getting really frustrated with Mabar dragon raid failures caused by too few players. Hopefully there will be more and more competent level 9-14 players.
    End of Level 8

Edit 11/02/10: Leveled up and added Quest #1
    Edit 11/03/10: Added Quests #2-#4
    Edit 11/05/10: Added Quests #4-#6
    Edit 11/09/10: Added Quest #7
    Edit 11/10/10: Added Quest #8
    Edit 11/12/10: Added Quests #9-#11
    Edit 11/13/10: Added Quests #12-#14
    Edit 11/15/10: Added Quests #15-#18
    Edit 11/16/10: Added Quests #19-#21
    Edit 11/18/10: Added Quests #22-#23
    Edit 11/19/10: Added Quest #24
    Edit 11/21/10: Added Quests #25-#26
    Edit 11/22/10: Added Quests #27-#28
    Edit 11/29/10: Added Quests #29-#30
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 11-30-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added adventures

Default Level 9

Level 9

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.7.2

Darstina 
    Level 9 True Neutral Drow Female
    (2 Rogue \ 7 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 114 (147 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 473 (625 with equipment)
    BAB: 4\4
    Fortitude: 4 (9 with equipment)
    Reflex: 13 (18 with equipment)
    Will: 9 (13 with equipment)
    Spell Resistance: 11 (17 with equipment)

(28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 9)            (Level 9)            (Level 9)
    Strength              8                 10                   10                   10
    Dexterity            10                 10                   10                   12
    Constitution         12                 14                   14                   18
    Intelligence         20                 24                   25                   30
    Charisma             16                 18                   18                   21

Tomes Used

Skills            (Level 9)             (Level 9)             (level 9)
    Balance               4                     4                     6
    Bluff                 4                     4                     6
    Concentration        13                    13                    16
    Diplomacy             8                     8                     10
    Disable Device       20                    20                    33
    Haggle                8                     8                   10
    Heal                  1                     1                     2
    Hide                  0                     0                     2
    Intimidate            4                     4                     6
    Jump                  4                     4                    10
    Listen               -1                     1                     2
    Move Silently         0                     0                     2
    Open Lock            10                    10                     21
    Search               20                    22                    35
    Spot                 11                    13                    24
    Swim                 0                     0                     1
    Tumble                4                     4                     6
    Use Magic Device     16                    16                    18

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Skill: Open Lock (+6)
    Skill: Spot (+6)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing I
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I

(Selected) Extend
    (Selected) Maximize Spell
    (Selected) Toughness

All Enhancements (I reset them after I level up and had 33 AP's)
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Wizard Improved Maximizing I
    Wizard Improved Maximizing II
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Lineage of Elements II
    Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements I
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Pale Master I
    Summon Skeletal Knight
    Equipment
    Weapons: +2 Scepter of Power VIII, +1 Superior Freeze IV Scepter, +1 Superior Inferno V Heavy Mace, +1 Superior Inferno IV Dagger, +2 Superior Mending VI Scepter, +1 Superior Erosion IV Dagger, +2 Major Fire Lore Club, +2 Major Ice Lore Scepter, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter
    Head: Nothing yet
    Eyes: +5 Intelligence Googles
    Armor: Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Invulnerability, Robe of Command, Deathblock Robe of Lesser Acid Resistance, Robe of Prayer, 2 Vestments of Light, Fearsome Outift of Light Fortification, Level 12 Robe of Shadow (in storage)
    Cloak: +2 Resistance Cloak, Cloak of Invisibility, Cloak of Improved Fire Resistance, 2 Cloaks of False Life
    Wrist: Evocation Bracers, 2 Bracers of Assistance
    Waist: +4 Constitution, Lesser False Life Belt, Belt of Jump, Belt of Improved False Life
    Fingers: Spell Resistance (17), Charisma +3, Ring of Waterbreathing, Ring of Mage Armor, +10 Search Sacred Ring, Proof Against Poison Ring, +10 Haggling Ring
    Hands: Gloves of the Falcon, +10 Open Lock Gloves

Note: I need to purchase a new hat, necklace, cloak and probably a ring. The items I want to get can be really expensive (250K for a Necklace of Health!)

Eternal Wands
    Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, Eternal Wand of Acid Splash, +9 Eternal Wand of Disrupt Undead

If I put on the Robe of Command, I have a 80% chance of casting the wand of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Adventures
    Quest #1 Taming the Flames - I bailed on this quest. I got a phone call while in the room with the chest and hordes of fire elementals and could deal with everything. I screwed up in that I should have parked the hireling at the top ledge of this room and he ended up dying

Quest #2 Taming the Flames - I finally finished this tough quest. Having evasion was a huge help as fire elementals would toss fireball after fireball at me and I kept seeing "Save" rising above my head. I used wands quite a bit as there were more mobs than my hireling and my SP's could really handle. When I finished the quest, I hadn't killed 50 fire elementals, so I wandered around killing them until I got 50. I am already at Rank 43, 554 total favor

Quest #3 The Tear of Dhakaan - I had to bail. I went from a larger monitor to a smaller monitor for this session and when I got into the quest, there wasn't a hireling toolbar. The default of defend made the hireling useless

Quest #4 The Tear of Dhakaan - Took me right arond 2 hours to do it. The battle in the village was tough and fun. I knew there was something in the village besides the big door out and it took me a while to figure out that it was a tunnel way up high over a waterfall. Enemies were constantly spawning, but the hireling was killing them steadily. I had invisibility on me, ran up to the first ledge, jumped and missed. Run back up, jump, jump again and fall off. Run back up again. By this time, my hireling is getting pretty dinged up. Made all the jumps and called for my hireling. He had a tough battle with a Clay Golem. I was almost out of SP's. It was a tough slog to the next shrine. Fortunately, I had checked DDOWiki and I new that there was a Wisdom 21 rune that I needed to pass to get all 6 shards (I have a Wisdom of 8). When I got to the end of the quest, I dimension doored back to the entrance, dismissed my fighter hireling, summoned a cleric hireling and then got the sixth shard

I was thinking of all the wonderful items I might get for turning in the shards and I got...10 pp each. My wealth was way down after the Mabar Festival, but now it is back up to around 100k

For the Tear, I used a Daanvi cake that summoned a Shrieking Defender. It was awesome in combat. Instead of casting grease, it cast a sonic spell that dazed enemies. Unfortunately, it didn't teleport when it got separated from me. I got to a room fairly early that required me to jump over and/or down to continue questing and the Shrieking Defender stayed there. I summoned a Lantern Archon and continued on in the quest. 1 1/2 hours later, I dimension doored back to the beginning and there was the Shrieking Defender! I wish I could find another cookie for it.

Two completed quests and I am closing in on Rank 44. This is going to be a short level

Quest #5 The Faithful Departed - I bailed on this one. You start in an wilderness area and I couldn't find the way to the dungeon entrance, so I recalled. There were a dozen Drow in the wilderness area and they seem to see right through my invisibility. Bad news.

I screwed up when I took my enhancements and I took enhancements the empowered Acid when I meant to empower Fire and Cold. As I had to reset my enhancements, I decided to get the Mithral Companion. It spews both grease and flames. As a summons, it is OK, but it only lasts ten minutes and it takes me way, WAY longer than ten minutes between shrines. So I will reset my enhancements as soon as possible and take something else. I have my Fire and Cold modifiers already maxed, so I am not sure what I will do with the the freed up Action Points.

After much shopping, I finally am happy with my equipment:
    Head: +11 Concentration Tiara
    Neck: +4 Constitution Necklace
    Armor: Fearsome Outift of Light Fortification
    Cloak: +3 Resistance Cloak
    Wrist: Evocation Focus Bracers with Tiny Gem of Power
    Waist: Belt of Improved False Life
    Fingers: Spell Resistance (17) Ring, Charisma +4 Ring
    Hands: Gloves of the Falcon

Quest #6 The Faithful Departed - I failed on this attempt. I again wasted lots of time in the wilderness area. To get to the dungeon, follow the initial path until you get to a chasm, jump down to the lake below, cross to the other side, go up the hill and on the left there is a small path that leads to the dungeon. I had used up ~2/3 of my SP's before I got to the dungeon. I had read that I shouldn't use AOE spells around the Venerated and I should haven't paid attention as I severely weakened the third one with a maximized Fireball and the Drow were able to kill it. I used a Kythri cake twice to summon a Tharaak Hound. The Tharaak Hound casts a lot of necromantic spells. There didn't seem to be a limit to how long it lasted. I could cast Summon Monster IV with it around. The Drow killed the first so I summoned the second. I found that Invisibility was pointless on this quest, but sneaking worked quite well. I didn't pay attention to what I read about the last room - I should have charged to the far side to come to the aid of the Venerated there. Instead, I took my time crossing the room, killing everything one at a time. Before I got halfway, the last Venerated was killed and I failed the quest. I spent probably 90 minutes on the quest.

I was really ticked about failing. Buffing the hireling worked well, but I need to cast CC spells in the big battles instead of damage spells. With it being so long until I get to a shrine, I can't be boosting DPS by casting damage spells or I will run out of SP's too soon. During my failed "The Faithful Departed" attempt, I drank several Mnemonic pots (a first for me) and I was still out of SP's too early. To do better, I bought a bunch of scrolls, a bunch of new weapons. I decide to drop Maximize for Spell Focus:Enchantment. I am going to try to charm enemies regularly as a way of beefing up my damage while not spending a lot of SP's.

When I dropped Maximize, I had to reset my enhancements. I set them to:

Rogue Skill Boost I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Energy Manipulation II
    Wizard Spell Penetration I
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Pale Master I
    Summon Skeletal Knight

Quest #7 The Faithful Departed - I died in the final battle. I did great through all of the quest until the final battle. For the final battle, I rushed to where the last Venerated was, got blinded several times, cured myself several times, lost lots of hit points while blinded, finally could see with a few hit points left, ran around while my hireling died and then I died myself. I had bought a bunch of scrolls to use in the final battle and I used...none of them. Stupid me. I also didn't cast Haste on my hireling as I meant to. I don't know if it would have made much of difference. I took Scare with me and the Drow were immune to it. I took Crushing Despair and it didn't seem to have any effect on the Drow. I tried charming some of the giant scorpions and they were immune. I discovered Necrotic Touch will heal my Skeletal Knight. Necrotic Touch does good damage for a minimal SP cost.

Quest #8 The Faithful Departed - I did worse than before with Venerated #2 and #3 dying. Fear doesn't bother the Drow, but Hypnotism does. I have some thoughts on different ways to fight the battles, but sadly I have to go a long time into the quest to get to one

Quest #9 The Faithful Departed - I did even worse with my hireling killing Venerated #1 and me killing #2 with an errant Frost Lance. My tactic was to park the hireling, buff up me and my summons, charge into the room, cast Negative Energy Burst and then start tossing Frost Lances. I didn't park the hireling for enough away in room #1 and he joined the battle. I thought the Negative Energy Burst wouldn't effect the Venerated, but I think it does. Back to the drawing board.

Quest #10 The Faithful Departed - Sigh. Failed again. For all of the Venerated, I parked the hireling and went in with just summons. With #1, I cast Waves of Fatigue as soon as I opened the door and...nothing happened as far as I could tell. I didn't see what happened to the Venerated, but he did. With #2, I tried Intimidating everyone as soon as I entered the room. I wasn't intimidating and #2 died somehow. With #3, I started tossing Fireballs as soon as I entered the room and that worked. With #4, I got across the room and tossed down a Fire Wall, but I think I accidentally dropped it on #4 as he died shortly thereafter.

Quest #11 The Faithful Departed - I died on the quest but finished it, lol! For Venerateds #1 - #3, I used the "park the hireling, buff like crazy and toss Fireballs" approach. The Venerated always seem to be on the right side of the room, so I start throwing Fireballs to the left. I inadvertently hit Venerated #2 with a Frost Lance and killed him, but #1 and #3 made it. I could lose the Venerated in the final room, but I wanted to save him anyways. I charged across, tossed lots of Fireballs and took some heavy damage. I then called for the hireling and ran for the room entrance. I am not using to taking constant heavy damage like that so I screwed up by not drinking my serious wounds pot. I was casting False Life and drinking starter potions. I got taken down to -3 and laid there bleeding. While I was bleeding, my hireling apparently killed the final boss and the quest completed. I laid there some more and slow lost hp's until I finally died. No final chest and the quest rewards were pretty crappy - I ended up taking 50 guild points. It took me 68 minutes this time. For such a long quest, there isn't a lot of loot.

Quest #12 The Temple Outpost: Captives of the Cult - Quite a contrast to "The Faithful Departed". Lots of chests and collectables. It was very challenging in that it is a medium-to-long quest with no shrines. I ran out of SP's about halfway through and had to drink blue pots from there. I should have used wands earlier. The quest itself was too challenging.

Quest #13 The Temple Outpost: The Libram of the Six - Boring quest. Essentially a repeat of the prior quest with everything that was interesting removed. Even the final battle was boring - I tossed a Firewall and a Fireball and the boss was dead before I saw him. I used three Dominate Person scrolls - failed each time. My hireling fought too many oozes and lost his sword. I think he could still shield bash.

I just realized that I had the Sentinels of Stormreach adventure pack. That means I have some level 7 quests to do. I am not having problems doing level 8 groups quests either. I may run over level again.

I am thinking about dumping Force of Personality. I haven't been effected by an enchantment in while and with the Drow SR changes in U8, I have a SR of 19 now. I would have to buy a +2 WIS tome and a +4 WIS item and I currently don't have the cash for that. The question is what would I take instead? Extend has some appeal, but I would probably take Mental Toughness to increase my SP's.

Quest #14 Storm the Beaches - Interesting quest. Took me forever to figure out how to find the secret way from the beach. I wondered around, I tried jumping on rocks, I tried researching the quest on line. Through pure luck, I got close enough to the waterfall that a mob came through and started attacking me. After that, things were straightforward but challenging. I used wands a lot to save my SP's. The archers hit me quite a bit but I was never in danger. Sadly, when I opened the final chest, I didn't get a dragon sigil. I don't want to run the quest again just to try to get a sigil.

As the "Bargain of Blood" is in the Searing Heights wilderness area, I explored the Searing Heights wilderness area. Tough area with lots of Drow, who make "buff the hireling and stay invisible" unworkable. I found about ~2/3 of the sites before I decided to move on to the "Bargain of Blood" quest.

Quest #15 Bargain of Blood - I played this one really bad, going to -8 once and then dying later. After successfully leading the charge in my last two quests, staying visible and trying to kill everything with Frost Lances was a bad strategy for this quest.

Quest #16 Bargain of Blood - I went back to buffing the hireling and staying invisible. I didn't really have too much troubles with that approach. You don't have to explore things in any particular order in this quest, so I ended up finishing the quest, then freeing the slaves, then meeting up with House Deneith scouts. Doing things the other way around would have been more optimal. A well-done quest with the areas having real character. There are a lot of places where the designers fooled me. I did get a Goat sigil

Quest #17 The Tide Turns - A really enjoyable quest with a good storyline, lots of variety, an interesting environment and a tough final battle. I did a lot of damage to the final boss and then I had to run for life when he started attacking me. Fortunately my hireling was able to finish the job. I got the Torn Chitin Bracers as a quest reward, which I am going to sell. As my reward for the series, I took the Dragon sigil, so I am going to buy a Splintered Winter's Wrath and upgrade it to a Winter's Wrath.

Quest #18 Caverns of Korromar - A really enjoyable quest. Good storytelling, good mood, lots of rewards (especially with the Christmas time buff). It was challenging but with lots of shrines, doable - until the final boss. With undead, going invisible doesn't work, so I was leading the charge this quest. The Undead Workers had a ton of hit points, but they rarely bothered me. The oozes took the weapon of my hirelings hand, so I had to dismiss him and resummon him. They have changed the UI so that the game provides you with an accurate countdown until you can resummon a hireling. The final boss is a beholder. I thought I would be able to take him out with the cakes I have been buying. I hit with a Thelanis cake (level 15 Prismatic Spray), which hurt him. I then tried a Velah cake (level 15 Comet), to which he was immune. Another Thelanis cake, but he was immune to that cast. And this point, I am hurting pretty bad. I hid behind the door for a bit, the hireling died, and then I died shortly thereafter. I should have used a Kythri cake and hopefully it might have killed it with a PK. Still, the beholder is way out of league and I am not going to repeat this quest for a while.

I got enough experience on "Caverns of Korromar" to go to level 10. I am going to try to do some other level 8 quests before leveling up.

I made my Winter's Wrath. I have gotten up to 300k in money, primarily through buying and reselling scrolls that aren't sold by NPC's. I keep hitting the cap for a number of auctions. The cheapest Beholder Optic Nerves is going for 450k selling price.

Thinking on my experience with the boss beholder in "Caverns of Korromar", I swapped out Spell Focus:Enchantment (which I wasn't using) for Maximize. I can then use Maximize for bosses.

Quest #19 The Path to Madness - It was nice to do a short quest again. There wasn't much to the quest - run down a path until you get to the entrance of "The Xorian Cipher". I did get held on the quest - first time in while. A little confusing ending - I clicked on the altar and it said that I was leaving the quest, would suffer an experience penalty, blah, blah, blah. I looked for some other way out of the quest and there wasn't. I clicked on the altar again, said it was OK to bail, the end of quest music played and the box to start "The Xorian Cipher" came up. I declined and instead recalled.

Quest #20 Spies in the House - A puzzle quest with little fighting and more frustration than fun. It took me a long time. I had lots of "What do I do now?" moments. And lots of "Is this going to end any time soon?" moments. For the green wheel, having the second gem yellow was the solution for me. When you going to the two gargoyles who rag on each other, you are almost at the end.

I started a thread on how to kill the boss beholder in the "Caverns of Korromar". The consensus is to hide besides the door to the arena, sneak out, hit him with a firewall and then hide again.

Quest #21 Haunted Library - An enjoyable quest full of undead. It had a great moment where I was fighting a hard battle, killed the last mob and then the floor exploded and I fell into another hard battle. Sadly, the designer decided to repeat that idea and it seemed cheap the second time. There were several moments were I knew if I popped the chest I was going to have a tough battle but I HAD to pop the chest to move on. I couldn't find the optional boss Spectre. There is a barred alcove that apparently leads to him, but I couldn't figure out how to get past the bars. I never saw the final boss - I guess I killed him with spells before I saw him.

Quest #22 Stromvauld's Mine - More of an exploring quest. You have to find the corpse of 10 miners that are wearing brown clothes on a dirt floor (the 11th is alive and at the end of the quest). I walked right by 2 and had to wonder through the whole quest again to find them. Enjoyable.

Quest #23 Tharashk Arena - I died fighting the two boss trolls. A really enjoyable quest with a solid plot throughout. The 4 battles in the arena were a lot of fun. There is ~15 seconds between battles and knowing I had a limited amount of time to prepare for the next battle was challenging and thrilling. I made a mistake with my time - I was so focused on healing and buffing the hireling I didn't take care of myself. I hid through the first two battles, but there were so many mobs in battle #3 that I felt I had to cast spells to help out the hireling. In battle #4, my hireling was struggling with the two boss trolls so I again starting casting spells. The sidekick came over, cast Otto's dance on me and then stomped me unconscious. I don't think I had any defensive buffs on me. My hireling dispatched the two trolls and then the next mob while I slowly bled to death.

Quest #24 Tharashk Arena - I finished the quest this time. For the final battles, I used a scroll of a level VI monster summons. I used Stoneskin on both the hireling and me. I used a Stormreaver cookie just before the boss troll battle and then cast Invisibility. I didn't need to cast spells during the arena battles this time. There is quite a bit to do after the quest is finished - another boss battle, another optional quest, two chests to find, lots of breakables to smash. I also killed all of the audience. Sadly, I ran out of lockpicks and was unable to get to one of the two chests.

I almost postponed all of the level 8 "Balanced party recommended" quests until I was level 10, but I am glad I didn't. I am not seeing that much difference in difficulty. All of the quests at level 8 (and level 7) are meant for a party, but I am not having that tough of a time soloing them.

My opinion of my Winter's Wrath is that it is not as useful as my other eternal wands. It is slow to cast and does little damage to mobs in its AOE. Disappointing.

Quest #25 Stand Your Ground ELITE - Because of a screw up with "Stormcleave Outpost" (see Quest #26), I had a few minutes to kill and I ran this quest. I camped next to Maxwell and he took little damage, but Rance died.

Quest #26 Stormcleave Outpost - This is the first quest that I wished I had had someone experienced with the quest running with me. First off, the map is HUGE - probably larger than the Sorrowdusk Isle wilderness area. Did I go to all of the areas I should have? I don't know. I wasted a lot of time because I didn't find the outpost when I initially came near it. Secondly, there are a ton of subquests - 33 per DDO wiki.com. I did I miss some that I would I have liked to have done? Probably. One of the subquests involves picking up supply crates and returning them to the outpost. With Bull's Strength on me, I could only carry 6 of the 12 crates out of time. As the outpost is a long, long ways away from the crates, I wasted quite a bit of time just running through empty wilderness. Having someone else to carry crates would have reduced the time it took to finish the quest (and it took me at least 2 hours to do the quest). Lastly, a more experienced player would have advised me on how to make the final boss battle go much easier. I went through the portal to General Xanti'lar's lair. I killed his first two minion giants with no problem. I then came to a large room with the General and two more minion giants. Xanti'lar charged us, so I ignored the minion giants. I hit Xanti'larl with some maximized fire spells - he was immune to them. I hit Xanti'lar with some maximized cold spells - he was immune to those as well. All of my damage spells were either fire or cold, so my spells couldn't damage him. I had cast a Summon VI and had my skeleton knight, but they did pretty quickly. My hireling was damaging Xanti'lar, but Xanti'lar was constantly healing himself back to full health. I didn't know what to do. I tried fleeing the lair to regroup, but you can't leave it until Xanti'lar dies. I thought about recalling, but I had spent hours on this quest. I couldn't convince Xanti'lar to take a coffee break while I researched on the internet how to kill him. Desperate, I pulled out the cookie jar. I used a Daanvi cake to summon a shrieking defender, but Xanti'lar killed it quickly. I started using those Stormreaver cookies (CL 15 Lightning Storm) and they were effective, but slow to do damage. I alternated them with Thelanis cakes (CL15 Prismatic Spray) and sometimes they damaged Xanti'lar and sometimes not. My main focus was on healing and buffing my hireling, who continued to damage Xanti'lar and keeps his attention. Sometimes I would pull Xanti'lar's aggro and I would have to run around until the hireling pulled his aggro back. Eventually, Xanti'lar stopped healing himself. The hireling kept damaging him and finally Xanti'lar fell. I went back to the big room, killed the two giant minions and popped the chest. Off the big room, there were 4 small rooms with elemental mobs held in place by a magic shield. I didn't see any switch for dropping the shield. Switching over to DDO wiki, I read, "Xanti'lar is surrounded by 4 rooms; each room cages a type of monster that's been used to power his defenses, and can only be unlocked by the corresponding shard you've collected along the way. You will want to clear out the room of earth elementals as soon as possible or Xanti'lar will be invincible to any physical damage. The rest of the rooms contain fire/ice/air mephits and are responsible for the fire/cold/lightning defenses of Xanti'lar respectively." Like that was freaking obvious. I cleaned out the small rooms, headed back to the outpost and finished the quest. Looking back on the last boss battle, I should have cast Charmed Monster on the giant minions, popped the room shields, killed the elemental/mephits ASAP and then taken out Xanti'lar.

I am up to Rank 48.

Quest #27 Prison of the Mind - An odd quest were you are adventuring in the mind of a sorceress. You have to find 4 items to heal her mind. There are lots of ladders to this quest and monsters will suddenly pop into existence. To get the first item, I walked a short distance to a round room, a beholder suddenly popped up and after killing it, I popped a chest. To get the second item involved navigating a labyrinth and a big battle. I was out of SP's after that battle. Getting the third item involved a big battle with Quori Spiders that took my Charisma from 22 to 3. I finally found a shrine on the way to item #4, which involved a nasty battle against Arcane Oozes. The Arcane Oozes seemed immune to all my magic, so the hireling and the summons had to kill them without me. After getting item #4, you have to jump a chasm and I failed the jump. It took me to a room with a Quori Spider and after defeating it, a portal opened that took me back to the sorceress. I then defeated the sorceress' evil twin to finish the quest.

Quest #28 Caverns of Korromar - Still really enjoyable the second time around. This time, I didn't have any problems with the boss beholder. After I threw the switch, I jumped down and ran to the end of the hallway. Only one skeleton followed me and I quickly dispatched him. The cleric hireling didn't follow me so I had to summon him. I parked the hireling, buffed myself and snuck down the hallway. Once I could see the beholder, I hit it with a superior Inferno boosted maximized Wall of Fire. I then dashed into the alcove. A few seconds later, I got the message that the beholder was dead. The beholder didn't touch me and I didn't need the cleric hireling.

The only quest level 8 or less that I have access to that I have done is "The Pit". I don't know when I will do it. I am not a fan of very, very long quests and my understanding is that it is very difficult to solo.
    End of Level 9

Edit 11/29/10: Leveled up
    Edit 11/30/10: Added Quests #1-#2
    Edit 12/1/10: Added Quests #3-#4
    Edit 12/3/10: Added Quests #5-#6
    Edit 12/16/10: Added Quest #13
    Edit 12/17/10: Added Quest #14
    Edit 12/20/10: Added Quests #15-#17
    Edit 12/21/10: Added Quest #18
    Edit 12/22/10: Added Quests #19-#22
    Edit 12/23/10: Added Quests #23-#24
    Edit 12/24/10: Added Quests #25-#26
    Edit 12/27/10: Added Quest #27
    Edit 12/29/10: Added Quest #28
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 12-29-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added more adventures

Default Level 10

If you enjoy reading the journal, please give me a +1 rep

Level 10

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.7.3

Darstina 
    Level 10 True Neutral Drow Female
    (2 Rogue \ 8 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 121 (161 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 521 (675 with equipment)
    BAB: 5/5/10
    Fortitude: 4 (X with equipment)
    Reflex: 13 (X with equipment)
    Will: 10 (X with equipment)
    Spell Resistance: 20

(28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 10)            (Level 10)            (Level 10)
    Strength              8                 10                   10                   10
    Dexterity            10                 10                   10                   12
    Constitution         12                 14                   14                   18
    Intelligence         20                 24                   26                   31
    Charisma             16                 18                   18                   22

Tomes Used

Skills            (Level 9)             (Level 9)             (level 9)
    Bluff                 4                     4                     7
    Concentration        14                    14                    28
    Diplomacy             8                     8                     11
    Disable Device       21                    21                    34
    Haggle                8                     8                   11
    Heal                  1                     1                     2
    Intimidate            4                     4                     7
    Listen               -1                     1                     2
    Search               21                    23                    36
    Spot                 12                    14                    25
    Use Magic Device     17                    17                    22

Level 10 (Wizard)
    Spell (4): Death Aura
    Spell (4): Solid Fog

(Selected) Augment Summoning
    (Selected) Toughness

All Enhancements
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Improved Spell Penetration I
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Wizard Pale Master I
    Summon Skeletal Knight
    Equipment
    Weapons: +2 Dagger of Magi, +1 Superior Erosion IV Dagger, +1 Superior Erosion IV Scepter, +1 Superior Freeze IV Scepter, Superior Freeze III Heavy Mace, +1 Superior Inferno V Heavy Mace, +1 Superior Inferno IV Dagger, +2 Superior Mending VI Scepter, +1 Superior Nihil V Scepter, +2 Major Acid Lore Dagger, +2 Major Fire Lore Club, +2 Major Ice Lore Scepter, +2 Greater Spell Penetration IV Dagger, +2 Enchantment Light Mace of Spell Penetration IV, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter
    Neck: +4 Constitution Necklace, Archivist's Necklace
    Armor: Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Invulnerability, Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Improved Silent Moves, Robe of Command, Deathblock Robe of Lesser Acid Resistance, Robe of Prayer, 2 Vestments of Light, Fearsome Outift of Moderate Fortification, Level 12 Robe of Shadow (in storage)
    Cloak: +3 Resistance Cloak, Cloak of Invisibility, 2 Cloaks of False Life
    Wrist: Evocation Bracers, Bracers of Neutralize Poison, 2 Bracers of Assistance
    Waist: Belt of Improved False Life
    Fingers: Blindness Ward Ring of Shield of Faith, Charisma +4, Ring of Waterbreathing, Ring of Mage Armor, +10 Search Ring, Proof Against Poison Ring, +10 Haggling Sacred Ring, Clever Ring of Remove Disease
    Feet: Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing, Feather Falling Boots of Elvenkind
    Hands: Gloves of the Falcon, +10 Open Lock Gloves

If I cast Heroism and put on the Robe of Command, I have a 80% chance of casting the wand of Cure Serious Wounds.

Eternal Wands
    Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, Eternal Wand of Acid Splash, +9 Eternal Wand of Disrupt Undead, Winter's Wrath

Adventures
    Quest #1 The Keeper's Sanctuary - Lot of traps, lots of secret doors, lots of undead. I had a really odd experience - I walked into one room and into the open booth in the center. Magic walls sprang up around the booth, locking me in. At the same time, a wall opened revealing lots of undead. I couldn't effect the undead in any way. My hireling wasn't too interested in fighting them himself. Occasionally, all or part of an undead would come into the booth and I could then cast spells on it. Eventually, all the undead died and the magic walls went away.

I have been using Wall of Fire and Summon Monster IV as my two level 4 spells. As I now have another level 4 spell slot, I am auditioning new spells. I tried Symbol of Flame in the last quest and I couldn't get it to work. I was expecting in several rooms for undead to appear when I threw a switch and it didn't happen. I cast it before I got locked in the booth and I don't think it went off. I need to try it some more.

Quest #2 The Church and the Cult - This was a lot like the preceding quest - lots of traps, some secret doors, lots of undead. Then came the final battle. I could have gone back to the shrine and rested up, but I thought 375 SP's would be plenty to kill the boss vampire. Man, was I wrong. He was resistant or immune to all of my spells, so I could barely damage him. Frost Lance seemed the most effective spell I had. I used up all of my SP's and he still had a third of his life. I drank a couple of mnem pots and kept casting spells and finally took him down. After I was done, I realized that I had a couple of cakes in my toolbar which would have helped a lot.

Quest #3 Gateway to Khyber - Kills some Trolls. Kill some more Trolls. Kill even more Trolls. Yawn

Quest #4 The Jungle of Khyber - I died on this one, which means I need to redo this quest (which is very long) AND "Gateway to Khyber". These two quests aren't nearly as interesting as the first two VON quests. This one was mainly about killing Drow with a few Trolls and some Beholders The Beholder area was interesting, but most of the rest of the fights were of the "look! some mobs to fight" variety. The one interesting Drow battle was frustrating as their was a group of Drow behind the door and then a group on a cat walk so high up that I didn't see them for a long time. I then wasted a long time trying to find a way up to the cat walk. Finally, I went to the raised steps in front of the shrine, hit the ones I could see with Frost Lance and hit the obscured ones with a wand of Force Missiles. Lots of frustrating spots. DDO wiki said that there was a collectable in a rectangular part of a room and I wasted lots of time trying to find it before I figured out I needed to swim down to it. I spent a huge amount of time in the Beholder area looking for the three runes. What made the quest boring was that there was no plot exposition. When I died 90% through, the only thing I had learned was that it was shocking that the Drow, Trolls and Beholders were working together. How slaughtering all of Viel's protectors will convince her to rejoin the Laughing Knives is beyond me. The fight were I died - there was a geyser that blew me up to an overlook above a cavern. I killed most of the trolls in the cavern from there and then dropped down to kill the last. The room had several doors. One door would open, a group would come out, my team would kill them, the next door would open, etc. The last group to come into the room was a boss Troll, a Drow caster and a boss Beholder. The team killed the boss Troll, almost killed the Drow caster, but the boss Beholder just chewed us up. I didn't have any warning that the bosses were coming until they were upon us.

Quest #5 The Fane of the Six: Cleansing the Temple - A straightforward and fairly easy quest. I dislike how far I have to travel through the Wilderness area to get to the temple. I cast Exp Retreat and Invisibility and I sprinted all the way to Hragg. I cleaned out the mobs between him and the temple, rested, and then went into the quest. Buffing the hireling and casting Invisibility worked great. On a side note, I am using Anvil, a WF fighter as my hireling. It has been a while since I have used a WF as a hireling. The good news is that I can cast spells to repair him. The bad news is that my non-SP methods of healing (Vestments of Light, Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds) are much less effective. I am wishing I could hire a squishy melee level 10 hireling.

Quest #6 The Fane of the Six: Fall of the Prelate - Given how disappointing I found "The Temple Outpost: The Libram of the Six", I was not wild about doing another quest in the temple. However, they implemented it much better this time. You don't retrace your steps all that much and the there are a couple of new sections in the previously explored areas. I followed the DDO Wiki instructions and jumped down into the temple proper from the bridge. Big mistake - nobody followed me. The hireling ran through hallways to get to me and got damaged from Fire Mephits. The Skeletal Knight, the summons and the Shreiking Defender never showed up. I thought this quest was more interesting than preceding one because it had puzzles, a secret door, and some levers to throw to vary the quest.

Quest #7 Gateway to Khyber - Even less interesting than the first time

Quest #8 The Jungle of Khyber - I died on this one. I was doing pretty well when the last Beholder in the Beholder room hit me with Finger of Death and I was done.

I went to cash in some pearls I bought on the AH and discovered that I had purchased "The Red Fens". Thank goodness! A break from rerunning "Gateway to Khyber" and "The Jungle of Khyber"

Quest #9 The Last Stand - An interesting quest where you beat off waves of attackers. I actually used a Lamannia cake and thought it was useful! I don't think I lost many villagers. The boss necromancer at the end took a lot of Frost Lances before going down. I foolishly didn't search for all the collectables once the quest was over.

Quest #10 Fathom the Depths - I had to recall on this quest as I had to go somewhere and didn't have enough time to finish. It was pretty cool the part I did. I spent a lot of times in the Red Fens finding searching for rares when I should have just cast Invisibility and Exp Retreat and raced to the quest.

Quest #11 Fathom the Depths - Finished this time. Really enjoyable quest. Good plot, good loot and good collectables. This time, I ran invisible along the South side of the wilderness area, went to the Giant Mushroom Forest and then went to the West side of the ziggurat from there. I went North and quickly go to the top. Much faster and less fighting then using the Northern entrance. I did the quest invisible and the Sahuagin never noticed me. I took a Shaman's Pearls as the quest reward (I almost always take Guild Prestige) as it was the only unique item offered. I don't know if the damage bonus stacks with other damage bonuses. Probably not.

During the quest, I got enough xp to level up. I am going to put that off for a bit to finish the level 9 quests. I may level up before doing VON #3 and #4.

Quest #12 The Claw of Vulkoor - Many deaths, many fails. I glanced at the DDOwiki.com description and it described it as "Informally: Stealthy Repossession with fire giants". So I made the mistake of assuming it was stealth from the beginning - you have to kill 7 or 8 Fire Giants at the beginning before you get to the stealthy part. Like "Stealthy Repossession", once you get spotted while stealthing, things tend to fall apart quickly. The map is useless as this is one of those multil-level quests that keeps looping back on itself. After defeating the wizard Fire Giant, I came to a cave with two Fire Giants and a lever. South of the lever is a hidden door revealing another Fire Giant and a lever. You don't need to go through that door. To the East of the lever is another secret door behind which is a lever. You do want to go through that door, throw the lever, jump down the revealed hole and kill the rest of the Fire Giants. After I defeated the Fire Giants (some times with hireling, some times without), I came to a big room with lots of scorpions. From here, my goal is to sneak past 7 big scorpion guardians and a bunch of small scorpions. I wasted a long time trying to find out what to do in the room. In the back (Southern) part of the room is a big green plantish thing. You want to head towards it, go up a very slight rock ramp, jump down into the hole on the far side, go all the way down to the bottom to the base of the big green plantish thing. Behind it is a clam. I landed on the bridge halfway down the first time and missed the first scorpion guardian and there isn't an easy way to back track. From the big green plantish thing, you sneak forward. I had on a Robe of Greater Silent Moves (+15 Move Silently), a CL9 Ring of Elvenkind for Half Orcs (+11 Hide) and had Cat's Grace, Heroism and Invisibility, giving me a Hide of 16 and a Move Silently of 20. Scorpion guardian #1 is easy. Scorpion guardians #2 and #3 was a little more difficult because I had to sneak past a roaming scorpion. Unlike the first three which very nicely stand still, scorpion guardian #4 patrols a path which comes right towards as you leave #3. Several times, I essentially walked right into him as he came down his path, thinking he had already spotted me. #5 is fairly easy. After #5 to the left is a lever and a door. Behind the door is a shrine and 3 Fire Giants. One time, I decided to throw the lever and kill the Fire Giants. I had no problem with the Fire Giants. However, a little scorpion sneaked up on me while I was fighting the Fire Giants and it killed me in no time. Past #5, the path forks and there is a scorpion that is pretty difficult to get past walking there. Go right at the fork and jump across a small gap. At this point, I suggest summon your hireling, your Skeletal Knight and your summons and just slaughter the rest of the scorpions. Your hireling will run all the way through the quest to get to you, so give him or her some time. However, I want to "win" quests, so I didn't do that. Instead, I sneaked past a roaming scorpion, up a ramp and at the right moment, threw a throwing axe at a breakable (see this video, about 7:45). The guardian scorpion scooted over to the broken vase, allowing me to sneak by him. After that, I killed a Fire Giant who was lost in thought about his last date. Past him, I did some jumping up and over a lake of lava (missed the jump several times and died). I jumped down from there and the jumped up on a switch, threw it, ran into the next room, threw the switch there (I had no problem with this). This opened the burial chamber, which I walked through to a secret door and through that. For the last guardian scorpion, you are suppose to toss a throwing weapon near it to distract it and then rush over to plant the staff. Unfortunately when I tried this, I pulled his aggro and had to kill him (you have to kill a guardian scorpion once you pull its aggro in order to get through the plant sealed door). All that effort for just one chest.

Quest #13 Into the Deep - I died on this quest. It is a very long quest with essentially an underwater wilderness and three dungeons. It was an easy quest until the final battle with the priestess. I kept invisible and they team wiped the floor with the mobs. It was kind of boring with lots of "a group of enemies standing in the hallway" battles, though there was an optional quest in each of the first two dungeons to make it more interesting. The final battle with the priestess occurs in the temple. I gathered the team, cast buffs, cast invisibility and then stepped on the grate to enter the final battle. The grate then dumps you into the final room - there is no retreat. At this point, some rebels joined my team. Why not have them join before I enter the final room like the other two dungeons? I didn't want to buff them that close to battle. Fighting started shortly thereafter. The final room is square box with high walls on three sides. Opposite of the entrance is the priestess, who just watched from what I saw. The other two walls have Sahuagins armed with spears. A wave drops down, fights and when dead, the next wave drops down. I kept an eye on my hirelings' health and it never moved. There was lots of fighting but I wasn't getting hit as I was invisible. At some point, I decided to speed things up by tossing some spells. Huge mistake. Once I became visible, I was constantly hit by spears. I tried finding a place to hide and re-cast Invisibility, but there isn't any out of sight areas. About this time, I realized that I had never seen my hireling or my summons. I think all of the rebels had been killed and the Sahuagin mobbed me and killed me.

I ready for some new spells and stuff, so I am going to level up
    End of Level 10

Edit 12/27/10: Leveled up
    Edit 12/31/10: Added Quest #1
    Edit 1/2/11: Added Quest #2
    Edit 1/3/11: Added Quests #3-#4
    Edit 1/14/11: Added Quest #7-#9
    Edit 1/15/11: Added Quest #10
    Edit 1/18/11: Added Quest #11
    Edit 1/25/11: Added Quest #13
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 01-25-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added more adventures

Default Level 11

If you enjoy reading the journal, please give me a +1 rep

Level 11

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.8.0

Darstinia
    Level 11 True Neutral Drow Female
    (2 Rogue \ 9 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 128 (180 with equipment)
    Spell Points: 574 (728 with equipment)
    BAB: 5\5\10
    Fortitude: 5 (11 with equipment)
    Reflex: 14 (21 with equipment)
    Will: 6 (12 with equipment)
    Spell Resistance: 21

(28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 10)            (Level 10)            (Level 10)
    Intelligence         20                 24                   26                   32
    Wisdom                8                 10                   10                   14
    Charisma             16                 18                   18                   18

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11

Skills            (Level 10)            (Level 10)            (level 10)
    Bluff                 4                     4                     5
    Concentration        15                    15                    29
    Diplomacy             8                     8                     9
    Disable Device       22                    22                    36
    Haggle                8                     8                   19
    Heal                  2                     2                     5
    Intimidate            4                     4                     5
    Listen               0                     2                     5
    Repair               12                    12                    16
    Search               22                    24                    38
    Spot                 14                    16                    29
    Use Magic Device     18                    18                    23

Level 11 (Wizard)
    Spell (5): Cyclonic Blast
    Spell (5): Cloudkill

(Selected) Augment Summoning
    (Selected) Spell Focus: Enchantment
    (Selected) Toughness

All Enhancements
    Rogue Skill Boost I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Wizard Improved Spell Penetration I
    Wizard Improved Spell Penetration II
    Wizard Intelligence I
    Wizard Intelligence II
    Wizard Pale Master I
    Summon Skeletal Knight
    I decide to try swapping out Force of Personality for Spell Focus: Enchantmet. I bought a +2 WIS tome and I put on a +4 WIS ring.

Skill equipment upgrades at this level were just +1 - from 10 to 11. I haven't rushed out to buy upgraded equipment.

I reset my enhancements to beef up my Acid/Lightning spells and to do so, I dropped Wizard Intelligence II. I then found +6 INT googles for a good price, so I decided to reset my enhancements again to get my INT up to 32.

Equipment
    Weapons: +2 Dagger of Magi, +1 Superior Erosion IV Scepter, +2 Superior Freeze VI Scepter, +1 Superior Inferno V Heavy Mace, +2 Superior Mending VI Scepter, +1 Superior Nihil V Scepter, +2 Superior Potency IV Heavy Mace, +1 Superior Spark V Scepter, +2 Major Acid Lore Dagger, +2 Major Fire Lore Club, +2 Major Ice Lore Scepter, +2 Major Lightning Lore Club, +2 Spell Penetration VI Scepter, +2 Greater Spell Penetration IV Dagger, +2 Enchantment Light Mace of Spell Penetration IV, +1 Conjuration Scepter, +1 Enchantment Scepter, +2 Enchantment Scepter
    Neck: +4 Constitution Necklace, Archivist's Necklace
    Eyes: +6 Intelligence Googles
    Armor: Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Invulnerability, Lesser Lightning Guard Robe of Improved Silent Moves, Robe of Command, Deathblock Robe of Lesser Acid Resistance, Robe of Prayer, 2 Vestments of Light, Fearsome Outift of Moderate Fortification, Level 12 Robe of Shadow (in storage)
    Cloak: +4 Resistance Cloak, Cloak of Invisibility
    Wrist: Evocation Bracers, Bracers of Neutralize Poison, Bracers of Prayer, Armored Bracers of Aid
    Waist: Belt of Greater False Life
    Fingers: Blindness Ward Ring of the Eagle, Sacred Band, Charisma +4, Ring of Waterbreathing, Clever Ring of Mage Armor, +10 Search Ring, Proof Against Poison Ring, +10 Haggling Sacred Ring, Clever Ring of Remove Disease
    Feet: Lesser Boots of Striding and Springing, Feather Falling Boots of Elvenkind
    Hands: Gloves of the Falcon, +10 Open Lock Gloves, +10 Disable Device Gloves

If I cast Heroism and put on the Robe of Command, I have a 85% chance of casting the wand of Cure Serious Wounds.

Eternal Wands
    Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds, Eternal Wand of Acid Splash, +9 Eternal Wand of Disrupt Undead, Winter's Wrath

Adventures
    Quest #1 Desert Caravan - In ways, this quest is like Kobold Assualt. You are in essentially a big room and waves of mobs attack you. In this case, the mobs are scorrow, scorpions and hyenas. I think there are Drow on cliffs shooting arrows at you. There is no buff time - I can hear mobs as soon as I enter the quest and I got attacked while I was still summoning help. I died lots of times on this quest. Actually, dying isn't that big of a deal as there are two shrines on the edge of the small area, so I could easily resurrect myself. I actually "won" the quest a couple of times, surviving the 10 minutes with at least 2 wagons intact. The first time, I waited for the mobs to run away and not until did they not, they kept whacking on the wagons and destroyed enough for the quest to fail. The second time, I tried killing the mobs so I could get to the chests and they destroyed enough wagons for the quest to fail. The best approach I found was to summon an Efreet at the beginning, summon the hireling, summon the skeletal knight, use a Stormreaver cookie to call Lightning Storm and then hang out invisible while occasionally charming Scorrow Raiders. That worked really well for a while, but I didn't have any good way of healing the Efreet and when he died, things fell apart. I eventually was killed, resurrected myself, cast invisibility and focused on healing the hireling. He kept things together until we hit the 10 minute timer and I could talk to the guide, which immediately ended the quest (no chests for me). I would have prefer to have not done this quest as it was a level 11 quest, but I had to do it to get access to a level 10 quest, "The Chamber of Rahmat".

Quest #2 Reclamation - A very frustrating experience and I wound up recalling. The quest is in a mine shaft and you have to go to three big rooms. Once again, everything is stacked on top of each other, so the map is useless. In each room, you have to smash items and turn a wheel. One room, I was strong enough to turn the wheel and I couldn't get the hireling to turn the wheel. I created a thread on this and I just needed to get more creative on buffing my strength. I used Dominate Person for the first time and it was really helpful.

Quest #3 Into the Deep - Again, no problem for the most part. With Invisibility cast, I wasn't bothered and I mainly watched. I did both reduce the loyalist optionals so that hopefully I would face fewer mobs in the battle with the Priestess. For the battle with the Priestess, I checked this time and no one came with me when I entered the final room. I called for the hireling and resummoned the Skeletal Knight and the summons. I stay invisible and concentrated on repairing the hireling. I would occasionally get hit by arrows, but not too hard of a battle. I went to face the demon, hit him repeatedly with Maximized superior-boosted Frost Lances and didn't make much of a dent on his health bar. Rather than be killed, I just recalled.

Quest #4 Reclamation - I was successful this time. When I got to the room with the hard to get to wheel, I swam back to the shrine, parked the hireling there, went back to the wheel, found the spot where I could try to turn in and failed, summoned the hireling and he was then able to turn it. The rust monsters destroyed Castle's weapon, so I had to dismiss him and resummon him to get his weapon back. When I saw them, I should have turned off Castle's aggression. After I turned the three wheels, I went to the shrine to heal up. However, you can see mobs from next to the shrine and my team went off fighting before I could rest.

Quest #5 The Sanctum: Quench the Flames - I am not enjoying this chain of quests. Go to X and kill some mobs, Go back to X and kill more mobs. Rinse and repeat. Almost all of the fights are of the "some mobs in a hallway" category. This one had a pretty tough initial fight. Otherwise, fairly boring.

Quest #6 The Sanctum: Church of the Fury - I spent a lot of this quest getting collectables from areas from the prior quest. Pretty ho-hum. Final battle went pretty fast. The reward for this chain was really weak - the ones I gave the most thought to were twink items for a level 2 toon. I took guild rep.

Quest #7 Hiding in Plain Sight - Wow! A long, long tough quest. I chugged most of my blue pots, burnt up some wands and never felt I was "safe" through most of the quest. The Arum spellcasters were tough. Lots and lots of traps. Some memories as I retraced my steps through most of "Protect Baudry's Interests" and "Information is Key". Lots of variety in this quest. In the final battle, Hazadill kept healing himself faster than I could damage him. He eventually killed my hireling. I grabbed the hireling's stone, ran, swam and ran back to the one shrine in the quest, resurrected and healed, and ran, swam and ran back to try again.

I am having a tough time finding a big enough block of time to tackle the Long or Very Long adventures I have left at Level 9 or 10, so I am going to do some lower level quests for favor

Quest #8 Dirty Laundry ELITE - No problem
    Quest #9 The Stormreaver Fresco ELITE - No problem
    Quest #10 The Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth ELITE - No problem
    Quest #11 The Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos ELITE - No problem (700 Favor)
    Quest #12 Repossession ELITE - No problem
    Quest #13 The Bookbinder Rescue ELITE - No problem
    Quest #14 The Depths of Despair ELITE - No problem
    Quest #15 The Depths of Darkness ELITE - No problem
    Quest #16 Come Out and Slay ELITE - No problem
    Quest #17 Venn's Trail: Clan Tunnelworm ELITE - No problem
    Quest #18 Venn's Trail: Venn's Fate ELITE - No problem
    :
    More adventures to come
    :
    End of Level 11

Edit 1/28/11: Leveled up
    Edit 1/28/11: Added Quest #1
    Edit 2/1/11: Added Quests #3-#4
    Edit 2/2/11: Added Quest #5-#6
    Edit 2/3/11: Added Quests #7
    Edit 2/5/11: Added Quests #8-#11
    Edit 2/6/11: Added Quests #12-#15
    Edit 2/7/11: Added Quest #16
    Edit 2/9/11: Added Quests #17-#18
    Last edited by GuntherBovine; 02-09-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added more adventures

Default Level 12

Level 12 journal to be added

Default Level 13

Level 13 journal to be added

Default Level 14

Level 14 journal to be added

Default Level 15

Level 15 journal to be added

Default Level 16

Level 16 journal to be added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast