Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Journal of an Experienced Newbie - Level 1 thru 10 - (Melee)

The following is an experience of leveling up a non-twinked, non-funded player living off of nothing other than knowledge of the game and naturally occurring loot.

First and foremost, I understand this thread may not be very interesting to many. Honestly I'm doing it moreso just for me as I'm having quite a bit of fun doing it. However I hope that someone new to the game may take the time to absorb some of the info in it and hopefully learn a thing or two and enjoy this great game a little more.

While there are plenty of fantastic "how-to" guides available here for builds of all types, collecting collectibles, static rewards/loot, and all sorts of other stuff, this journal is intended to kind of tie them all together and gradually putting them to practical use, showing actual in-game screenshots and a level-by-level explanation of what my goals and achievements are, along with summarizing the lessons learned in "Newbie Notes" at the end of each level.

Note that the term "Journal" is being used instead of "Guide."

Even after playing DDO for the past 55 some-odd months, I most certainly do not claim to know everything about this game and I'm sure some other vets may (and probably will) point out flaws and make other suggestions. This is why DDO rocks. It has amazing depth and literally thousands of ways to achieve similar results. The following journal documents only one of a thousand different journeys that could happen and each experience will be different for each player.

The intention of this journal is to illustrate (hopefully):
    - Inventory and hotbar management
    - Acquiring wealth
    - Managing and making more efficient use of collectibles
    - Deciphering and filtering above-average loot from below-average loot
    - Understanding core game mechanics ranging from:
    1. Armor Class
    2. Damage Reduction
    3. Attack bonuses
    4. Feats (both Free Feats and Selected Feats)
    5. Using "clickies" and enhancement boosts
    6. Weapon damage
    7. Energy resistances
    - Recognizing the benefits and/or limits of a character/class
    - Recognizing that if you log on and can't find a group or at least one doing a quest that you'd prefer to do instead, that there are still plenty of options and things to do.
    - Some time-saving tips, tricks and features of DDO

As with most things in life, saying that something is "the best" or "the only way" is extremely subjective. That in mind, what I do NOT intend this journal to illustrate or portray:

- The best/most efficient/most fun way to play DDO or level up your character
    - That the equipment, class, race and/or alignment I'm using (or plan to use) is the best equipment, class, race, and/or alignment to use
    - That soloing is the best way to play this game
    - That the information in this journal is 100% accurate and/or true

Before I get too much further, I'd like to thank the greater DDO community and give credit to where credit is due. To all the guide-writers, map-makers, number-crunchers, pod-casters and stat-hungry men & women out there, your work is greatly appreciated. To try and name and list them all is impossible but here are a few great ones from recent history:

Goldeneye's Guide to Choosing Your Best End Reward
    Kaidar's New Players Journey
    Impaqt's Soloing 101 and A New Players Guide to Getting Ahead in Stormreach
    The many, many people contributing and organizing the Definitive Static Rewards and Unique Loot
    MrCow's Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Melee)
    Steiner-Davion's Definitive Collectables List
    Aranticus' Clickies, The Route To Self Sufficiency
    DDO Wiki!!
    Mockduck's DDO Cast
    Ollathir's All-In-One links thread: ***DDO Links***

And many, many, many others.

Links to specific levels in this thread:
    The Beginnings
    Level 1
    Level 2
    Level 3
    Level 4
    Level 5
    Level 6
    Raising Funds
    Level 7
    Level 8
    /End Prelude
    Last edited by augie; 07-05-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    (TR)
    Elite Raiders and Twilight Alliance guilds
    Journal of an Experienced Newbie - Level 1 thru 10 - (Melee)

Default The Beginnings

The Beginnings

Without further ado, the following is an in-progress journal of a long-time player of DDO using nothing but previous knowledge of the game to primarily solo through the first 10 levels of the game using nothing but naturally occurring loot and vendor fodder. Why just 10 levels? I'm assuming that by that time, a player should have a solid grasp of their character capabilities, understand the core concepts of the game and also should have a substantial bankroll by that level. And depending on how this journal goes, I may do another for a caster and healer class so stopping at 10 means I can get to them sooner.

There will be occasions where I will probably resort to having a hireling help out but will try to keep them to a bare minimum. I figure that since hirelings are available to all, it will be allowable in this instance.

To make the experience as similar to what a new player would experience, I've banished myself to a completely different server than my home base of Khyber. By doing so, this eliminates any possible temptation of "accidentally" mailing a few thousand plat his way to make things easier. This also eliminates several other options: 32-point builds, Veteran status and some of the premium races and classes. I will not be selecting any premium races or classes that would not be available otherwise. Account items that I automatically receive upon character creation such as The Founders Helm, Amulet of Natural Armor, Boots of Minor Striding and Brooch of Water Breathing will all be destroyed upon character creation. If at all possible, I will be sticking to the Free-To-Play quests as much as possible.

The class I'll be selecting for this journal will be a dwarven pure-bred Ranger named Mortally Wounded. Rangers are a very well-rounded class with the ability of wand-whip healing, dual-wielding weaponry, bow abilities and eventual spell-casting. Given the fact that the vast majority of my questing will be solo, I figured this would give the most options and flexibility to complete these quests with a minimal amount of banging my head on the computer desk. It may also add a little more challenge to try and find and maintain two good melee weapons to use instead of just one.

I'll have the mindset that while this is my first character which is melee based, I will be keeping my eye open for weapons, armor and other useful gear for possible builds that I may want to explore in the future such as a spellcaster (wizard or sorc) and a healer (cleric or bard) of some type. That in mind, if given the option to select some good gear more appropriate for those future builds instead of a nearly useless item applicable to a ranger, I will do so.

The thought process for this is that someone new to the game reading this will gain knowledge of items that are useful for other classes other than their own. This could in turn lead to good profits at the Auction House or having better equipped future characters.

That being said, let's start setting this guy up.

Starting stats for this 28-point Ranger build:

Race: Dwarf
    Reasoning: Numerous racial bonuses and resistances, also able to use exotic Dwarven Axes.

Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Reasoning: I'm hoping to find some weapons of Pure Good somewhere along my travels so I'll need to be Good aligned to wield them. Chaotic is a personal preference as I personally like being able to wield Chaotic weapons at times for various situations that will be explained later.

Starting Stats:
    STR: 17 (almost maxed)
    DEX: 13 (for Dodge feat pre-req)
    CON: 17 (respectable for a melee build)
    INT: 8 (base)
    WIS: 10 (easily bumpable to 11 via an item of some sort before level 4 for Level 1 spell casting)
    CHA: 6 (base)

20 skill points available, 4 invested into each of the following: Jump, Move Silently, Hide, Heal and Balance. (Heal usually isn't my skill of choice but without an unlimited amount of heal pots available, I'm counting on rest shrines to restore more of my hit points.)

Starting Feats: Dodge, Favored Enemy: Undead
    Reasoning: Dodge is pre-requisite for the feats necessary for the Tempest Prestige Enhancement (PrE). Undead can be found in quests at nearly every level in the game so selecting them as a Favored Enemy will be beneficial in the long term.

*Author's note* I would have preferred going 18 RGR / 1 FTR / 1 ROG to have the ability to do traps but for the sake of simplicity of not having to explain the logistics of multi-classing, I'm stickin pure ranger.

/End The Beginnings
    Last edited by augie; 06-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    (TR)

Default Level 1

Level 1

Upon landing on Korthos and before I even start the first quest, I head to the Options menu to adjust a few of the default settings in there:

Unchecked Enable Mouse Soft Targeting, Auto-target breakables, Auto-target monster targets and Auto-target non-monster targets. I dislike Auto-targeting.

Quest #1 - The Grotto starter quest. Forgot all about this quest. Smashed the breakables on the way up to the cave entrance and found a fair amount of Healing Potions and first few handfuls of copper coinage. Completed and scored the Ember Great Axe, Battleworn Chainshirt, and a ring with a clicky of Water Breathing. Off to Korthos Village. The Rusty Greataxe and Starter Rags are no longer of use as they’ve been upgraded now, plus they‘re not sellable items. Pulled them out of the inventory and destroyed them.

Run to the tavern and also around town and grab the quests there.

Quest #2 - Cannith Crystal for some bracers. Simple quest, just whack away with the greataxe. First reward I grabbed was the Spear Bane bracers which provide damage reduction of 3 against piercing weapons. Spiders, archers, most kobolds and some rats hit with piercing damage at level 1 and 2. Most of the time a DR of 3 is all it takes to nullify the majority of their damage, if not nullify it completely. Time to rerun this quest one more time to get the Axe Bane bracers which provide DR of 3 against slashing weapons for quests with rats, sehauguin and some kobolds which deal slash damage.

Quest #3 - The Storehouse's Secret for the Rugged Belt. Lesser False Life = more hit points = yum yum yum...

Quest #4 - Heyton's Rest. Run through, swing axe, stuff dies, collect reward. Took and equipped the Amulet of the Brute just because it got my CON to an even number of 18, boosting my Hit Points by +1. The -1 to WIS and INT doesn't really affect me at this point. This slot's gonna get replaced with the Anger's Wrath set necklace soon enough anyways.

Quest #5 - The Collaborator. Time to wrap up these beginning quests. Run through, swing axe, stuff dies, collect reward. I actually scored a Masterwork Greatsword in this quest which is a slight upgrade from the Ember Greataxe with a little better crit range (19-20) although the crit multiplier is x2 instead of the x3 from the great axe. Overall, it‘s nearly a wash between the two. Took Molin's Great Axe for Lesser Monstrous Humanoid bane which adds a +1 to-hit bonus and also another 1d6 damage to our fishy friends, the sehauguin. Sweet. Finally have access to the wilderness area, the next series of Korthos quests and their tasty rewards.

Side note: I did all these previous quests with Defensive Fighting active. While I suffer a -4 to attack, at this level I can still hit dang near anything pretty reliably and the +2 gain to AC (for a total of 18 AC) has been noticeable as far as not getting hit much in these low-level quests.

Hey hey, 3 Action Points to spend. Picked up Ranger Sprint Boost I and Ranger Favored Damage I and saved the 1 remaining AP for later. Sprint Boost is amazingly addictive and favored damage is basically a must-have for rangers.

Alright, feelin good, although not quite ready to head out to Korthos Island yet. Time to farm a little more XP out of the previous quests, specifically Storehouse's Secret. No need to even kill anything in here. Just run, open the doors, smash the crates necessary to find the key, run back down to the locked door and solve the puzzle. With Spear Bane bracers equipped, spiders do no damage so the only thing that could interrupt you opening a door is the rats. If you do get interrupted, run back a little ways and then run back up and try opening again. A quest easily doable in under a minute. With the 10% Insidious Cunning XP bonus for not killing anything, it's great XP for the time and effort invested. Ran this 4 more times on normal for the XP and I landed at 5,033 XP, just enough for level 2. No point in waiting to level since there's no XP penalty for a Level 2 to do a Level 1 quest.

Leveled up to 2. Used the remaining 2 AP’s on Ranger Energy Resistance Boost I (20 seconds of Energy Resist +8 is fantastic at level 1) and Ranger Desert Lore I (Fire Resist +2) in anticipation of future fire attacks in harbor quests. Headed to the tavern to sell the extra belts from the end-of-quest rewards from Storehouse’s Secret and score my first handful of platinum pieces.

Screenshot of Level 1 Hotbars

Explanation of hotbars and skill locations:

Main hotbar: Slots 1/2/3 will be for common weapons/combos, available for quick swapping. Slot 4 I put in Trip and slot 5 was Sunder. Both Trip and Sunder should be spammed as often as the timer lets you. By putting them in the 4th and 5th slots, it allows me to still hold the "W" key to run toward mobs while using my mouse-look to steer left/right and then using my index finger to hit 4 and 5.

Second hotbar - heal potions, situational use items such as sneak and search.

Third hotbar - The beginnings of swappable equipment. Only have bracers at the moment but that will change soon enough.

Fourth hotbar - Blank for now. It’s the one used to create new hotbars so it’s just kind of off to the side for now.

Once they’re set up, hit Control and the Equals (=) key to lock the hotbars. CNTRL =.

Level 1 Newbie Notes:
    Understanding Damage Reduction (DR)
    Setting up and locking Hotbars
    Getting acquainted with the concept of farming XP
    Understanding Defensive Stances and their implications
    Using Trip and Sunder

End of Level 1
    Last edited by augie; 06-08-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    (TR)

Default Level 2

Level 2

All right, time to get into the next series of quests. Picked up Sacrifices, Necromancer's Doom and Redemption in town and headed out to the Korthos Island wilderness areas. Ran up the path to Gunnar and grabbed the Stopping the Sehauguin quest.

Now, I COULD just run and do the quests but I have a thing about explorer areas and the solid XP that is available in most of the wilderness areas the first time through. So I jumped down the cliff per Gunnar's recommendation and commenced to run over to the Tree of Sacrifice, Sehauguin Overlook, Algid Falls, back up to the Watchful Vigil, then way over to the Shrine to the Devourer, Adventurer's camp and finally the Dilapidated Aqueduct. Also hitting the quest entrances along the way. With the slayers and rares along the way, it was 2,817 XP. Not bad. Hitting the shrines encountered along the way, didn't even have to use a heal pot. While it doesn’t have the best XP-per-minute ratio, it’s still easy XP that I don’t plan on coming back for in later levels.

Ok, that was enough exercise and sight-seeing for this dwarf. Time to get back to the questing.

Sacrifices - Equipping Axe Bane in here helps a lot against the sehauguin. Other wise it’s a smash and crash quest. Got the first half of the Anger’s Wrath set with the Anger's Step boots. A pair of 1-minute clicky of Expeditious Retreat is great. Combine that with your Ranger sprint-boost clicky, you can really haul ass!

Necromancer's Doom - Axe Bane again for the win. Smashem and crashem. Goggles of Insight for a reward, granting an Attack Bonus +1. Any boost to your to-hit is great and there isn't much else available in this slot that’s of much use for a melee build for quite some time.

Redemption - Axe Bane FTW. Feather Cloak for the reward as it’s nice to have some sort of feather-fall item. Future runs will take the Curative Cloak for the clicky of Cure Light Wounds (1 per rest). Planning to get multiples of this one for obvious reason of self-healing.

Went back and finished up Storehouse’s Secret on Hard and Elite using the same original tactics. Also did Collaborator on normal about 5 more times for about 1k XP each run, then wrapped it up on Hard and Elite. Actually had to chug my first few heal pots on Collaborator elite and found out I was missing more than I cared to so I turned Defensive Fighting off during the elite run to get my +4 to-hit bonus back. The -2 loss to AC is worth it. Also zipped down to Cannith Crystal again to knock it out on hard and to score the Bracers of Assistance for the Aid clicky. Can’t complain about 11 temporary extra hit points.

Went out to the island and knocked out Stopping the Sehauguin on normal and hard just to be done with them. Not really a fan of that quest at all. Engraved Circlet for the reward for a +1 to my severely lacking will saves which is… better than nothing I suppose.

Ok, enough of this snowy Korthos Village stuff. Time to head out to Misery’s Peak and score my necklace to complete the Anger’s Wrath set. Overall, the quest goes pretty smooth. Kept the Spear Bane bracers on to ward off any archer arrows. The 20-second Energy Resistance Boost enhancement clicky definitely helped against the Ice Reaver’s cold damage at the end as well. The clicky of feather-fall on the Feather Cloak was a nice time-saver as well being able to fly from elevated ledge to other ledges without having to go all the way back down and all the way back up. And of course, the Aid clicky for the 11 temp hit points was beneficial all the way through as well.

After completion and being zipped back to Korthos Village at the end of that quest, time to pick up the much anticipated Anger's Gift necklace. Overall, that single item added +3 to my overall To-Hit bonus. A +2 bonus from the actual set combination and then another +1 because it raised my overall STR score to the even number of 18, therefore raising my STR mod from +3 to +4, adding another +1 to my overall To-Hit. Between that and the fact that I don’t have to look at a snowy Korthos Village anymore, it’s the best improvement to my character to date.

Also just got enough XP for level 3, although I’ll be holding off on that level for a little bit here. Staying as a level 2 allows me to farm the level 1 quests a few more times without taking a 10% XP hit that a level 3 would incur in a level 1 quest. I did spend 2 action points on Ranger Dexterity I just to bring my DEX up to an even number of 14, therefore increasing my AC by 1. Every bit helps.

One note regarding using the quest log and map in conjunction to find quest entrances:

Let’s say that you have Necromancer’s Doom, Misery’s Peak and Redemption all active in your quest journal, but forget which entrance on the map you need to head toward. Easiest way is to open up your quest journal and highlight the quest you want to head toward. Assuming you have the quest active, the yellow arrow on the map will switch to the entrance for your selected quest. For example, if you’re standing out on Korthos Island and click on the Necromancer’s Doom quest in your Quest Journal, the yellow arrow on your map will be placed on the Decrepit Catecombs entrance. If you then click on Sacrifices in your quest journal, the yellow arrow will switch to the Cannith Aqueduct entrance. This works for quests in wilderness areas as well as in city areas. Handy if you’ve been on a quest once before but not quite familiar with how to get back to it again.

Ok, as much as I’d love to leave this fishy, vermin-infested island, there’s a little more work to be done here on Korthos so back out to the island to farm Redemption on normal a few times for some clickies of Cure Light Wounds. Also headed to Sacrifices again (on Hard) and picked up the Nimble Grasp gloves as an end reward for sole reason of the 5% striding benefit. Wasn’t wearing any gloves anyways. Ran Necromancer’s Doom on Hard for the Blessed Goggles. Enemy casters will be tossing Bane around from time to time so this will dispel that. Knocked out Heyton’s Rest on Hard as well so that takes care of all the Level 1 quests on Hard. Since I only plan on running those quests one more time on Elite, it’s time to level up.

Picked up Mobility for the Level 3 feat (Pre-req for Tempest PrE) and invested 2 AP’s into Dwarven Constitution I which brings my CON back up to the even number of 18, boosting overall Hit Points by 3. Also managed to find a Masterwork Long Sword (primary hand weapon) and a Masterwork Short Sword (light off-hand weapon) along the way so I can actually dual-wield weapons properly.

Screenshot of Level 2 Hotbars

More clickies to use! Got the various items set up for all their clicky-ness. Also started a new hotbar for resist potions. I’m a little disappointed that more of them didn’t drop but that’s how it goes. Otherwise I’m just planning future hotbars right now. Inventory isn’t over-crowded as I‘ve sold all the extra end-rewards and miscellaneous junk loot. Only 1 inventory bag full right now.

Level 2 Newbie Notes:
    Understanding To-Hit Bonuses and implications of defensive stances
    Understanding how to utilize temporary boosts
    Embracing the wonderful world of clickies
    Managing Inventory
    Farming XP without XP penalties
    Understanding the benefits to bumping STR, DEX and CON to even numbers
    Using the map and quest journal together to find quest entrances

End of Level 2
    Last edited by augie; 06-15-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    (TR)

Default Level 3

Level 3

Out of Korthos and finally off to the harbor!! Looking forward to the wider selection of end-rewards for quests and also collectibles. After speaking with Mari in the Harbor, she hands out your first small collectibles bag and small gem bag. First thing to do with those is to open them up and check the Auto-gather option. Just makes it easier to manage collectibles and gems and there will be plenty of each in the Harbor.

Head on up to the Leaky Dinghy for a new bind position and we’re all set to tackle the Harbor.

Between the quests given by the NPC’s in the Dinghy, the Harbor and the Wayward Lobster, I now have 18 quests available to choose from ranging from level 2 to level 4, along with access to the Cerulean Hills explorer area. Thankfully, the vast majority of these quests are level 2. That in mind, I’m planning to stay as a level 3 character for quite some time, possibly even until my character’s XP is capped. Again, this is to avoid any kind of XP penalty for entering a quest more than 1 level higher than it.

On to the questing!

Knocked out the solo-only Arachnophobia and The Miller’s Debt quick just to get them done and over with. Next up is Durk’s Got a Secret in hopes of scoring the Muckbane. It’s a nice quest to start out with. Not too crowded, multiple chests, boatloads of breakables and a couple rare spawns all make for a loot-filled run each time. After 6 runs I finally got Muck to spawn, but alas, no Muckbane in the chest. But in those same 6 runs, equipment upgrades abounded.

Weapon upgrades included a +2 Greatsword for my 2-hander weapon to replace the old Masterwork version. For the 2-weapon style set, a +1 Dwarven Axe replaced the Masterwork Long Sword. For my bow, I scored a +2 Composite Longbow which replaced the starter Ember Bow. Which reminded me that I still have a couple Starter items in the inventory. Since they’re obsolete now and not sellable items, I drag them out of the inventory and destroy them.

Armor-wise, I scored a +1 Darkleaf Breastplate to upgrade the Battleworn Chainshirt. Darkleaf is similar to Mithral in the respect that it reduces the armor type by 1 class, changing the Breastplate which is typically a Medium armor to a Light armor. A very nice upgrade to this light-armor-wearing ranger, boosting my AC by +2. In comparison, a full-blown +1 Mithral Breastplate would have boosted AC by +3 instead. But perhaps the best part about the whole deal is that the graphic looks NICE. I should probably mention that Darkleaf armor also increases the Max Dex Bonus by 1, but since I don‘t have enough DEX for that to even matter, it‘s kind of a moot point. See below:

Feeling a little more confident with my gear now so time to try Butcher’s Path. Goes smoothly. With Spear Bane equipped, most kobold damage was negated and the Fire Resistance 2 from Desert Lore I enhancement negated most/all of any alchemist fire damage from the ranged kobolds. Pretty much only the magical damage from the Shaman’s were the only things of concern. Wish I had a clicky for Detect Secret Doors to get the extra observance XP bonus but oh well. Got to the end boss, killed him and lo and behold, inside is Kneeza’s Bauble. Perfect!! This +1 WIS trinket boosts my WIS score to 11 which is all I’ll need when I level up next to cast level 1 spells. After gaining the XP for the quest, I jump back down the ladder and went to see if the optional troglodyte shaman Warlock Cyressy was there and he was. This guy can get flat out nasty. So I hit the clickies for Expeditious Retreat and Aid, swim thru the tunnel and activated the Energy Resist boost to counter his Fireballs. He gets a couple hits in but eventually he goes down. Looted the chest and finally found my first Cure Light Wounds wand and a +3 Haggle necklace. End reward was a +1 handaxe which will replace the masterwork short sword I had in my dual-wield set.

Time to address some finance items. Over these past series of quests, I acquired some +1 STR bracers, a +1 STR belt and an extra +1 Darkleaf Armor so it‘s time to see if I can make some plat sellin these on the AH. Bracers and belt were posted with an initial starting price of 100 plat with buyouts of 350 plat for each. There were plenty of other similar armors on the AH so I had to price mine to sell. 120 plat starting, 150 plat buyout. Still more than I will get at a vendor. If they don’t sell over the span of 3 days, I’ll just vendor them. No biggie.

Ok, one more Butcher’s run. Blow through it and actually ended up finding yet another Kneeza’s Bauble. End reward was very fortunate as there was a +2 Darkleaf Breastplate! Equipped that sucker which added another +1 to AC. Posted the Bauble on the AH w/ a 150 plat buyout which undersells all the other sellers. Also posted my old +1 Darkleaf Armor for a buyout of 140 plat.

Also time to turn in some collectibles, specifically the Prayer Beads, Wooden Idols and Icons of Khyber to Goldscuttle. Now, to use mouse-clicking to turn in collectibles can be downright tedious and painful. However you can use the Enter key on your keyboard to speed it up tremendously. What you do is begin the dialogue box with Goldscuttle and be sure that your mouse cursor is somewhere in the upper portion of the dialogue box. As long as the appropriate conversation answer is highlighted, you can just hover your mouse cursor in the dialog box and just keep hitting the Enter key over and over and over and over again until he says that you’re out of collectibles. MUCH faster than trying to mouse-click through all the responses.

After all that, I ended up with a bunch of masterwork ammo, some +1 ammo and… it must be my lucky day here. I scored a +1 Greataxe of Lesser Reptilian Bane from one of the Icons of Khyber. Against kobolds, it’s a +2 Greataxe that also adds another 1d6 damage. This beauty is gonna rip through these kobolds muahahahaha... It’s also going to fetch solid coinage on the AH once I outgrow it as it has no minimum level, making it a very solid twink weapon for someone re-rolling a melee character.

During this time I get some encouraging information in my chat window:

(Standard): Your auction has successfully sold.
    (Standard): Your auction has successfully sold.

Hmm… I have mail.

My belt and bracers both sold already and I‘m up about 400 plat. Nice. Back to the tavern to sell all the ammo and repair whatever needs it.

Riding a wave of confidence, I head to the Waterworks in hopes of scoring some nice end rewards for that quest. (I’ve gotten no-min-level feather fall items there and no-min-level +2 stat items there before.) As I go through it, I forgot that this is when Kobold Shamans start using Niac’s. I saved 95% of the time but the time it hit, it hit pretty hard. Kind of brought me back down to earth a little. I also took on my first ogre in part 4. I was a little leary going against him but using Expeditious Retreat and Sprint Boosts, I was able to run him around and wait for him to draw his bow, then zipped in for a couple quick hits. Did the bump-and-run tactic a couple times and it was a flawless victory.

Best reward out of the list was… Graskitch’s Skullcap. :/ No good weapons, no good shields, no good accessories. Ah well. I guess it improved my will saves by +1 from what it was before and now I have my +1 WIS item on my head so that frees up my trinket slot for something else that may come along. And beauty is just a “/showhelmet off “ away.

I did manage to loot a minimum level 2, +3 Scimitar, Race restricted Elf/Drow. This is a pretty sweet weapon as elves have racial bonuses to scimitars through the Valenar line of enhancements. Off to the AH it goes. Gave it a buyout of 2500 plat given its rarity. We’ll see how that goes. Another nice find I ran across in the trade channel was someone selling a +1 Shortsword of Lesser Reptilian Bane at base value, 2010 gold. I couldn't resist that since it has the same characteristics as my greataxe with no minimum level, great against kobolds, minimal cost to purchase and it should eventually sell rather nicely on the AH.

During the WW quest, I acquired enough XP to hit level 4. While I’m going to hold off on leveling for a while yet, I’m going to wrap this Level 3 section up.

Screenshot of Level 3 Hotbars

Not a whole lot different from the past level. Main difference is the quality of weapons in the weapon sets and the quantity of potions available. The bank account is starting to become a little more respectable, thanks in part to AH sales.

Level 3 Newbie Notes:
    Understanding bonuses for bane weapons
    Becoming more familiar with armor types
    Utilizing the Auction House to make money with commonly looted items
    How to turn in collectibles quickly and efficiently
    Recognizing good, low-level weaponry to use or sell
    The command /showhelmet off

End of Level 3
    Last edited by augie; 06-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    (TR)

Default Level 4

Level 4

So to start out this level, I figure it’s time to dust off the running shoes again and go for a jog out in the Cerulean Hills. I just love these outdoor areas and they're a great change-of-pace. Whipping around in there with the slayers, rares and explorers areas, it was just a bit over 4,000 XP. Not bad at all. This zone was the first area where I saw enemy DR with the orc barbarians. Pretty easy to tell as yellow numbers were coming up when I hit them as opposed to the normal red. Just something to keep in mind down the road when yellow numbers start come up when beating on a mob.

Back to the Harbor and time to crank out a few runs of Kobold’s New Ringleader. Opting to keep the runs brief instead of going for conquest/ransack, I head straight ahead and climb the boxes to bypass the first area of the quest. Kobolds down, bugbears down. End fight. Bloodknuckle. I’m sure this guy has accumulated an extensive soul stone collection over the years from over-confident adventurers. Biggest key to this guy is to stay mobile by having Expeditious Retreat and Sprint Boost running. Wait for him to pull out his bow or wait for him to stop and start to rage/haste up. These small time frames are all ya need to zip in and land the hits ya need instead of standing toe-to-toe and absorbing his triple-hit beat down (a.k.a. Soul Stone Maker).

Ran 6 of these runs around 3 minutes a piece netting over 1k each so the XP is starting to pile up. Already at rank 18 so I have 2 more ranks to go until I have to start watching my XP for level cap. Also looted a +1 Mithral Heavy Shield, +1 Mithral Chain Shirt and a +2 Mithral Chain Shirt. I kept the shield for instances where I may need to shield block or possibly need a few more AC. The mithral chains went to the Auction House, priced to sell.

Just want to take a minute here and break away from the adventuring and focus on the social aspect of the game. I’m somewhat amazed at the amount of conversation happening in the harbor and every once in a while there’s quite a doozy that comes through that makes me laugh. Here’s one of them:

(General): [Player 1]: where the hell do I get the "pinch of bull dung" i need for a spell?
    (General): [Player 2]: bulls?
    (General): [Player 3]: big bull
    (General): [Player 4]: find a bull?
    (General): [Player 1]: ...

Maybe it was weird timing or something but I just laughed and laughed when I saw that hahaha…

Ok, back to the questin. Time to try and knock out the rest of these level 2 quests on normal for the full XP bonus before I’m capped and forced to level up to 4. Knocked out Garrison’s, Haverdasher, Info is Key, Stealthy Repo and the Baudry’s line of quests all on normal. Sitting at Rank 19 and 78,395 XP, it’s time to call it a day and head to bed.

ZZzzzzzz.....

Waking up the next morning, I see I have some mail. That’s always a good sign. It appears that some of the auctions went well overnight. Both of the Mithral Chain Shirts and one of the Darkleaf Breastplates have been bought, bringing in about 700 more plat total.

Starting to plan ahead for future quests, I was thinking that an adamantine weapon would be nice to have before headin into the Marketplace. Last night I remembered that there’s a low-level adamantine weapon that falls from the named ogre in Butcher’s Path, although my search skill wasn’t high enough to trigger the hidden doors to find him. Time to go shopping and see if I can somehow snag a cheap clicky of Detect Secret Doors. The other benefit of having a clicky of DSD is being able to score Observance Bonuses for XP.

After scanning all the clothing items for such a clicky, the price range for them was from 3,000 plat up to 20,000 plat. 3,000 is actually a pretty reasonable price, given the benefits of being able to find secret doors, however it would decimate the bank account, leaving very little remaining to use to stock up on potions that I know I’ll be needing when tackling quests on hard and elite. I hold off on the DSD clicky for now but I did find a Maul of Vengeance on the AH for a buyout of 1,000 plat. Tempting… but I’ll still hold off for now and see what the finances are like before heading into the Marketplace. I’ll still keep an eye on the AH and vendors for Goblinoid Bane, Ghost Touch and Adamantine weapons though.

Enough of this money stuff, time to start killin things. Off to Information is Key. Another pretty popular quest to farm as it’s quick and still good XP. Ran that 6 times for some good XP. Hopped over to Recovering the Lost Tome which had pretty decent XP as well.

Last on the “Harbor Level 2 Quest To-Do List” is Smuggler’s Warehouse. This one can get pretty tedious if you’re not careful. A big help is using the Backspace key to target breakables. The rubies only fall from the barrels in this quest so before leaving each room, do a 360-degree pan around the room, hitting the Backspace key the whole time which will cycle through the various targets in the room. If there aren’t any barrels left and you don‘t see any rubies left on the ground, then move on to the next room.

Did a few more quests and getting close to level cap. How can you tell? It's pretty easy actually. Any rank that is a multiple of 5 is the last rank before leveling/capping. For the mathematically impaired, that means any rank that ends in a 0 or a 5 such as 15, 20, 25, 30, etc.

Rank 20, getting close to XP cap

If you're using this method of leveling, it's very important to keep an eye on this and to take note of how far away you are from capping and the XP given in the quests you're doing. Any XP gained beyond XP capping is wasted so you don't want to be 200 XP away from capping and running a quest for 1,200 XP since you're going to be losing 1,000 XP out of the deal.

Once you do cap, this is what happens:

Rank 20, XP capped with notices

You'll get some little congratulatory messages saying that you have reached the maximum experience possible for your level. Also note that the total XP at the bottom is locked at 1 XP short of the amount needed to hit the next level.

Well, not much choice now than to level up to 4, albeit only 1 XP away from level 5. With the option of increasing a stat point permanently, STR is pretty much the most obvious choice so I bump it up by +1. It’s now at 19 which isn’t really any better than an 18 until I find a +2 STR item somewhere to boost it back up to the even number of 20.

With 8 Action Points banked up from the past 2 levels, I invest in Dwarven Axe Damage I (+1 to damage rolls when using axes), Dwarven Axe Attack I (+1 to attack rolls when using axes), Goblinoid Hatred I (+1 attack bonus against goblinoids which will be encountered in the Marketplace) and Ranger Energy of the Wild I (for 20 extra spell points). Still have 2 Action Points extra and not much else is really jumpin out at me so I’ll save them for now and see what options open up at level 5 that they could be used for instead.

With the option of spell-casting available now, I head up to the local tavern and take a look at the Spells tab in my Character Sheet. Level 1 spells that are of immediate significant use include Jump, Ram’s Might and Resist Energy. However at levels 4 and 5, I can only carry 1 of these spells at a time. For now, I’ll select Ram’s Might for the added +2 STR and damage, although there will be times that Resist Energy will be swapped in instead.

Screenshot of Level 4 Hotbars:

Again, not much has changed on the hotbars. I finally have a spell to cast so Ram's Might is a welcome addition. Inventory is starting to pile halfway into my second bag slot and seeing collectibles in my inventory says that my Small Collectibles Bag is at capacity so I'll have to address that shortly before it gets out of hand and over-clogging inventory.

I have managed to acquire a few things that have been placed in the bank for my future spell-caster. Looted a Minor Ice Lore dagger (6% chance of cold spell crit) and an Improved Efficacy II clicky which will boost damage of Level 2 spells by 30% for one minute. Also banked some Mnemonic potions. Nothing earth-shattering but it's still better than nothing at this point.

Level 4 Newbie Notes:
    - Continued use of the Auction House
    - Establishing tactics for ogres as a low-level character
    - Maximizing XP output from quests
    - Utilizing the Backspace key to target breakables and other objects
    - Understanding the XP cap when leveling
    - Storing items for future use in the bank

End of Level 4
    Last edited by augie; 06-16-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    (TR)

Default Level 5

Level 5

Ok, now that I’m headin into a little higher level quests and also the Marketplace, there are a few things that need to be addressed immediately:

1. Acquire potions for Curse Removal, Blindness Removal, Poison Neutralization and Lesser Restoration
    2. Get Collectibles out of the inventory
    3. Hit Points - I’m a bit leery going solo into Hard and Elite quests with only 73 Hit Points. On normal difficulties, that will still probably be fine but Hard and Elite are completely different beasts.

First things first, the potions. I head to the Marketplace and hit up the potion vendor. With my abysmal Haggle skills, they’re nearly 900 gold pieces each so I purchase 3 Curse, Blindness and Poison potions each and we‘ll see how quickly they get used up. After purchasing, I lock the potions in my inventory and place them on a hotbar. Anyone who's played this game for more than a week has probably seen the "omg i'm blind how to fix???? helllllllllpppppppppp " in general chat. Please don't be that guy/girl and have at least 3 of these potions on you at all times. They're WELL worth the money.

Secondly, time to maintain the inventory and get rid of some of these collectibles. I head to Goldscuttle and turn in all the Prayer Beads, Wooden Idols and Icons of Khyber I had. Headed to Wash Pynoptis and turned in the Vials of Contagion and Amber Vials. DO NOT TURN IN THE VIALS OF PURE WATER. They are valuable to high level players for crafting rituals and they can fetch good money on the AH. Headed to Giles to turn in his stuff. Netted a couple wands of Detect Secret Doors. Too bad I can’t use em heh. Gonna bank them so that a future caster can though. Wrapping up the Harbor collectors is Celaeno Kelle. Turned in the Sweet Whitecaps for a few potions of Cure Light. DO NOT TURN IN THE DEADLY FEVERBLANCH. They are also valuable ingredients for crafting, sellable on the AH.

After selling the various rewards for the mundane collectibles, it was about 80 plat. Meh. Better than a kick in the crotch I suppose.

Sprinted on up to the AH to survey the prices for collectibles. Deadly Feverblanches are averaging around 1,200 - 1,500 plat each. I have 6 of them in my inventory so I list the 6-pack with a 7,200 plat buyout (1,200 each). The Vials of Pure Water are averaging around 1,000 plat each. I have 4 of those so I list them with a 3,000 plat buyout (750 each). Both have been priced in hopes of a speedy sell. I’d rather list them cheaper and have them sell so I can use the plat instead of trying to compete with 20 other people selling for the typical price.

Last item is Hit Points. More that I think about it, I really should have gotten Toughness at the last feat selection instead of Mobility. It will push acquiring Tempest to further levels but hit points are hit points. I’m gonna go ahead and do that actually. So I head to the Marketplace and do the Mark of the Dragon quest to get a free feat exchange and then to see Fred in House J to swap Mobility with Toughness. That nets another 6 hit points right there and also opens up the Racial Toughness enhancements. After visiting the trainer again and spend an AP on Racial Toughness I, that adds another 10 hit points. Sitting at 89 overall now which I like a lot more than 73.

*Author's note* I don't believe Mark of the Dragon is part of the free-to-play group of quests so I've broken my promise to sticking to only the Free-To-Play quests. However I'll justify it by saying that the players that do have access to this quest may not know about it so... yeah.

OK, that’s quite enough of things that do not involve questing and looting. Back to the bloodshed, loot and women!

Level 1 quests on Elite, Level 2 quests on hard and also standard Level 3 quests will be the target quests right now. Again, it’s because there’s only a 1-level difference between me and the quests which avoids any XP penalties.

Started out with Dirk’s and Butcher’s on Hard. Kobold Shamans cast Hold Person on hard and with the terribly low will saves that I have, that will be something to seriously take into account. Sneaking up on them and taking them out worked in some occasions, but in the instances where it was in tight quarters, I always tried to stay around the corner of whatever casters were in the area to avoid Hold Person. Mages tend to stay in the rear of the pack so you can usually pull most of their melee-base cohorts away and around a corner to beat them down. Once they’re all dead, then charge in for the kill.

Did Waterworks another time and looted the Moss Weave Cloak. Nothing spectacular. Only benefit was that it raised my fortitude save by +1. It raised CON by +1 as well but I’m still at 19 which doesn’t do any more than 18 did.

Did most of the other Harbor quests on hard as well. Got a Pearl of Power I as an end reward which was… cute. But hey, it’s another 10 spell points for me in a slot that wasn’t doing any good anyways since I have the wisdom I need on my helmet. Other rewards included a necklace with a clickie of Lesser Restoration (very nice), Deezil’s Ornament (3-minute clicky of Resist Fire), Ring of Rage (1:30 clicky of Rage). That will definitely come in handy.

Even strolled on back to the old stomping grounds of Korthos to knock out those quests on Elite as they are level 3 quests on that level. Times have definitely changed since when I left there as there wasn’t much difficulty hammering through those quests with this upgraded equipment and enhancements.

Whoa, this is getting kind of wordy already. Time to get a drink or something.

Ok, I'm back. And I’ve got mail.

My vials of pure water have sold, netting a little over 2100 in plat and my last +1 Darkleaf armor and another Mithral Chain sold as well for another 400ish plat total. I’ve also been made aware in a mailbox letter that Mr. Montague Goudreau would like to bestow a reward for accumulating 75 Coin Lord favor. I make haste to the Marketplace and head over to dear Montague over by the bank and he awards an additional backpack bag which opens up another 20 slots in the inventory. Most excellent! More room for… stuff!!

Off to the Cerulean Hills and headed over to Where There’s Smoke… I really like this quest for a few reasons. First off, good XP. Secondly, the optional of befriending the doggies is kinda neat. Third, easy to farm quickly. Ran that quest 7 times for an average of 1k XP per 2-3 minute run. Not too shabby.

Zipped over to the other side of “The Hills” and ran The Captives. Kind of a neat quest as well. A couple mini-bosses along the way and actually ran across the Weeping Handwraps in one of the named chests. First instict is to bank them as they’d be a nice twink item for a future monk but alas, I won’t be rolling one. I could send it to the AH but ya know what? I may hold on to these for a bit and maybe have some fun kicking and punching oozes into submission with an extra 1d6 sonic damage behind it. Fear teh dwarven sonic boot!!! Haha… Ok, maybe I’ll just sell them later.

Starting to creep closer to the level cap now and took a quick look at what level 3 quests are remaining. Redfang The Unruled looks good so off to the Marketplace. Zipping through it pretty well. Getting close to the end, I ran into Tarnish, the named rust monster. These little aberrations are the bane of fleshies and warforged players alike and can completely destroy equipment in a matter of seconds. Thankfully my little buddy was not very flame-resistant and the nearby fire traps provide a handy flame-thrower to take care of him for me. Activating Energy Resistance to resist fire damage, I just kite him around in it for a bit and he goes down like a bag of dirt. On normal, this works. Traps are gonna hurt a bit more on Hard and Elite so we’ll see what happens with him next time.

Headed over to The Swiped Signet. This quest can be pretty daunting on harder levels but on Normal it wasn’t too shabby. I hadn’t run this quest in a looooooooong time and didn’t remember there being a shrine available in this quest, however it seems they put one in toward the end. To that I say… BOOOOOO!!!!! I liked it when no shrines were available and clerics/wizards were strapped for SP. One of those quests that people love to hate. Ah well, times change I suppose.

Just barely level capped and the time to advance to Level 5 is upon this little dwarf! The selection of a second favored enemy is at hand. As a naturally short fellow myself, I’m a bit jealous of those of tall and large stature so I go with Favored Enemy: Giant. But in all seriousness, there are plenty of giants also in this game so it’s another pretty solid pick for a favored enemy at this level. With 5 AP’s available for enhancements, I upgrade favored enemy damage by going with Ranger Favored Damage II. I’m debating selecting Goblinoid Hatred II but I’ll hold off and keep these 3 AP’s banked for now. Not like I can’t come back and get it another time.

Looted a pair of +1 CHA rings and +1 STR gloves over the course of questing and tossed them on the AH, priced to sell. Should get some good plat out of that as well.

Screenshot of Level 5 Hotbars:

Holy clickies Batman! Ok this is getting a little ridiculous haha… Hope I can even remember half the stuff I have in here! If I had a bankroll behind this guy, most of this wouldn’t even exist. I’d have like 3 stacks of Cure Serious Wound potions and an entire hotbar devoted to 100-stacks of Haste potions and call it good lol… But I don’t have that bankroll yet so we make due with what we got. Reconfigured a few of the situational items (sneak/search/defensive fighting/auto-attack) off to the side and also started a hotbar devoted to stat damage fixing, a la Curse Removal, Blindness Removal, Poison Neutralization and Lesser Restoration. Rest of it you can probably figure out from past screenshots. Almost at 10k plat!

Level 5 Newbie Notes:
    - Have Curse/Blind/Poison removal and Lesser Restoration potions on hand from now on
    - Learning how to use your “free” feat respec
    - Recognize what collectibles are worth selling on the AH
    - Learning how to handle higher level enemy casters using strategy and terrain
    - Quest Favor rewards
    - Utilizing traps in quests to your advantage
    - Rust monsters suck.

End of Level 5
    Last edited by augie; 06-30-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    (TR)

Mark of the Dragon is F2P by the way. Just FYI Good guide though.

Hehe, sweet. Thanks for the heads up. Headin on vacay in a couple days so I may not get Level 6 up until the weekend. We'll see how much DDO playin time occurs between now and then. It also sucks not being able to play STK, Tangleroot and Delera's!! Kind of dreading the upcoming few levels haha...
    (TR)

Great read and good tips for even vets. Good job +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi_Hordo View Post
    Gornn 1:39:12 And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and he left his garment in her hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by NYYFan View Post
    All the spouses of DDO players got together and launched a coordinated distributed denial-of-service attack...

I've played for months now and I never knew that I could lock the tool bars with CTRL =

You know how many times I've stuffed up my toolbars with a miss click mid-battle?

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    DDO players dont ragequit. They ragejoin. Boycotting around these parts means play something as much as possible, then post that we hate it.

Nice guide and also a nice read!

+1 rep to you
    -= Proud member of the MAC guild on Khyber =-
    Aganthor (Completionist (4/13), Human Paladin, L7)
    Alts: Caitlan (Ftr) / Gimlinas (Barb) / Chakmar (Sorc) / Shureyoucan (Monk) / Nessyia (Ranger), Dystran (Cleric), Karkwa (Rogue-Acrobat), Mekkanik (WF FvS), etc.

Nice guide and well written.

A few comments (random);

1. F2P I think is limited to 1 AH posting at a time.
    2. I don't like to stack my hotbars more than 2 high on the bottom of the screen as they get in the way. I like a double row of 2 horizontal bars at the bottom and up to 3 vertical hotbars on the far left if needed. I keep buffs and clickies on the hard-to-reach left side, and place weapon sets, healing potions, and skills/feats/enhancements on the bottom.
    3. This is a question - Since kobolds and Sahuagin carry what look like spears, how do you know (and I'm assuming you know) that they do slash damage vs pierce? I'd like to know where to find some info on the various monsters encountered.
    4. What are your thoughts on not worrying about the xp penalty of 10% vs the ability to complete the quest faster and easier by leveling, rather than waiting to level up?
    5. Also you talk about banking some stuff for future casters and whatnot - with F2P you don't get a shared bank, and isn't mailing items quite pricey?

Thanks again for the nice journal.
    Last edited by Fedora; 06-08-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Good comments and questions.

1. You are correct, F2P is limited to only 1 AH item. To go along with that, I believe that the current F2P gold limit is 25,000 gold as well? Someone else may know that for certain. So yes, those would have drastic effects on this journal and I would probably go crazy trying to maintain a character with only 2500 plat to work with. I barely have any hair left on my head so I didn't want to rip the rest out trying to work with that limited amount.

2. Stacking hotbars and their convenience is based on a couple things: personal preference and screen size/resolution. I've seen screenshots with 15 to 20 some-odd hotbars on their screen and it didn't appear to be crowded at all. But yeah, personal preference is usually the ultimate driving factor.

3. Very good question on the weapon damage. I will probably go back and edit an earlier level post to explain how to find that out. Basically if you're not sure what damage an enemy is doing, you can look at your combat log and there will be messages like "Combat: Kobold Sneak hits you for 2 points of pierce damage" or "Combat: Elf Zombie hits you for 3 points of bludgeoning damage." That's usually the easiest way to tell what they're doing. Not sure if there's some sort of a resource that documents each enemy and their preferred form of damage though.

4. The answer to this question will really vary from player to player as there are pros and cons to leveling up sooner. In instances where one knows full well that quests will need to be farmed to max out the XP needed to level (especially in True Reincarnating), holding off to level is a widely-accepted way to go. I'm looking ahead at the list of level 6 thru 10 quests available to F2P'ers and the amount of quests starts dwindling so I need to maximize the amount of XP I can get out of these lower level quests while I can. Now, if I knew I had access to Shan-To-Kor, Tangleroot and Delera's... Holy smokes, I would be leveling up ASAP.

5. Correct, no shared bank slot for F2P'ers. Mailing items really isn't too pricey and given the benefits of it, it's money well spent. The cost to mail is a percentage of the item's base value and most of the items I'm keeping aren't much more than the 8,000ish gold level. Can't seem to find what the percentage cost is to mail something like that but it probably isn't more than 20-30 plat maybe? Not sure...

Happy to hear you've enjoyed the journal so far. It's been fun doing it
    Last edited by augie; 06-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    (TR)

To go along with that, I believe that the current F2P gold limit is 25,000 gold as well?
    Not that I know what the limit is, but 2.5k plat certainly isn't. I've had 10k+ plat easily at least on my f2p account before I went premium.

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    3. Very good question on the weapon damage. I will probably go back and edit an earlier level post to explain how to find that out. Basically if you're not sure what damage an enemy is doing, you can look at your combat log and there will be messages like "Combat: Kobold Sneak hits you for 2 points of pierce damage" or "Combat: Elf Zombie hits you for 3 points of bludgeoning damage." That's usually the easiest way to tell what they're doing. Not sure if there's some sort of a resource that documents each enemy and their preferred form of damage though.
    Doh!! Excellent, I never thought of that. Thanks again!

Seems the Free-To-Play gold/plat cap is based on character level using the info on this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=247812. Still learning more and more hehe...
    (TR)

Community Member

Nice info. The CTRL+= trick is something I did not know. I went ahead and locked my bars

Looking forward to hearing about levels 6-10. Especially since my highest character is only a 7 Bard, which is being shelved for a newer Bard with an actual plan and useful stats

Great Journal!!
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue
    Need Some XP? / AFK for a bit: School. / See WF Body Feat Appearances

+1 rep for a great effort and helpful information.

Thank you

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast