Default The Definitive Attack Bonus Thread

We have Lots of Definitive Lists around here.. But when looking for a "To Hit" list today I couldnt find it. So I figured I'd Make one.

To Hit, Or Attack, Modifier is the core of the D&D System. Everyone who melees wants to maximize their chane to hit the mobs. WIth So many ways to Increase your to hit bonus in this game, its about time we have some sort of list.

Base Attack Bonus (BAB)
    Your Base attack bonus depends on your Class makeup. DDO has 3 BAB progressions.

1:1
    Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, and Barbarian all share a 1:1 BAB Ratio. FOr every Level thet Gain they gain +1 to their Base attack bonus.

3:4
    Cleric, Rogue, Monk, and Bard all Share a 3:4 Ratio. This equates to +3 to hit for every 4 Levels Gained in the class.
    NOTE: Monks Gain +1 BAB Every 4 Levels if they are "Centered" (Effectivly increasing their BAB to a 1:1 class)
    1:2
    Wizards and Sorcerers have a 1:2 Ratio for their BAB. They get +1 for every 2 Levels in the class.

The To Hit is Lost First when Leveling. (A L1 Cleric for example has a 0 BAB) then Progresses from there. So when Multi-classing with a reduced BAB class your overall To Hit bonus will be reduced. (A 14 Barbarian/1Cleric/1 Wizard will have a BAB of 14 because L1 on both Cleric and Wizard is 0)

Ability Modifier
    Your Ability Modifier is the next Substantial modifier for your To Hit Bonus. In Most cases this is your Strength Modifier. Exceptions are Ranged Weapons, Which use your Dexterity Modifier. You May also take the "Weapon Finesse" Feat which allows you to use your Dexterity Modifier for Weapons that fall into the "Light" catagory or Rapiers, Which are a Finesseable Medium Weapon.

Alchemical Bonus
    An alchemical bonus is granted by the use of a nonmagical, alchemical substance.
    There are Currently no Alchemical Bonus's to Weapons in this game, However, You can obtain Potions that will increas your Strength or Dexterity temporarily. This will effectively boost your to hit.

Alchemical STR and Dex potions are availabale via Collectable Turn ins to the collectors in the House D Ward.

Circumstance Modifier
    A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source.

Bard Spell- Focusing Chant +1 To Hit (Self Only)
    You gain +2 to your attack Rolls if you are "Flanking" a Mob.
    Rogues can gain a +1 to +5 Sneak Attack bonus to their To Hit when They do Not have Aggro. Many Items and Weapons can also Provide this Sneak attack Bonus.

Competence Modifier
    A competence bonus (or penalty) affects a character's performance of a particular task, as in the case of the bardic ability to inspire competence. Such a bonus may apply on attack rolls.

Sources for Competence Bonus' are

Bard Song- Inspire Greatness +2 to Hit
    Full Plate of the Defender - Vision of Destruction Raid Item +2 To Hit
    Tumbleweed - Hound of Xoriat Raid Item +2 To Hit
    Steady Handed Armbands - Madstone Crater +1 to hit

Enhancement Bonus
    An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of a weapon. In Other words, this is your Weapon Modifier.. The "+1" in your "+1 Holy Battleaxe of Deception"
    Weapons can have a +0 to +5 Enhancement bonus on them. Bane is also added to this Bonus. Lesser adds +1, Bane adds +2 and Greater Bane adds +4. FOr Example, a +5 Greatsword of Greater Evil Outsider Bane would be +5 against most creatures,but +9 to Hit against Evil Outsiders.

Insight Bonus
    An insight bonus improves performance of a given activity by granting the character an almost precognitive knowledge of what might occur. Multiple insight bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest insight bonus applies.
    There are currently No To Hit Insight Bonus's in DDO

Luck Modifier
    A luck modifier represents good (or bad) fortune. Multiple luck bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest luck bonus applies.

Sources of Luck Bonus' to Hit.

Cleric Spell: Prayer +1 To Hit
    Cleric Spell Recitation: +2 To Hit
    Cleric/Paly Spell: Divine Favor +1 to +3. Self Only

Morale Modifier
    A morale bonus represents the effects of greater hope, courage, and determination (or hopelessness, cowardice, and despair in the case of a morale penalty). Multiple morale bonuses on the same character do not stack. Only the highest morale bonus applies.

Sources of Morale Bonus' to Hit

Bard Song: Inspire Courage +1 to +7 To Hit with bard enhancments
    Spell: Greater Heroism +4 To Hit
    Spell/Potion/CLicky: Heroism +2 to hit
    Spell: Good Hope +2 To Hit

Racial bonus
    A bonus granted because of the culture a particular creature was brought up in or because of innate characteristics of that type of creature.

Sources of Racial Modifiers Include Drow Shortsword and Rapier Enhancements, Dwarven Axe Enhancments, elf Longsword and rapier enhancments, Halfling throwing Weapon Enhancments and other Racial Enhancment lines.

Size Modifier
    A size bonus or penalty is derived from a creature's size category.

Halflings Receive a +1 To Hit because of their Size.
    SPELL: Rams Might Adds a +2 To hit (Ranger, Self Only)
    (Note: Rams Might also adds +2 Stacking STR For a TOtal of +3 To Hit)

Other ways to Increase your Attack Modifier.

Spell: Divine Power Self Only, available via Spell and Clicky.
    Divine Power Increases your BAB to that of a Fighter of the same level (Effectively giving you a 1:1 BAB)

Spell: Tensors Transformation: Self Only, Scrolls Available
    Tensors Transfomation Increases your BAB to that of a FIghter of the same level (Effectively giving you a 1:1 BAB)
    You cannot Cast spells Under the effect of Tensors Transformation

Madstone Rage: Effect in Madstone Crater Quest, Clicky/Random effect from From the Madstone Boots From the Reaver Raid.
    Madstone rage increases your BAB to 1:1 and also adds a +2 Stacking STR Enhancment.
    You cannot cast spells, Use CLicky's, or consume some potions while uner the effects of Madstone Rage.

FEAT:
    Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus. These feats Provide a Stacking +1 for the weapon style selected

FEAT:
    Precision: Provides +4 to hit with the Penalty of Halving your Base damage(ANd SNeak attack damage)

Enhancment:
    Cleric/Paly "Way Of" Enhancments: Provide +1 stacking to hit for your dieties Prefered weapon.

Increase your To Hit By Decreasing the Mobs AC!
    There are several ways to decrease a mobs AC. THis effectively increases yoru chance to Hit the mob. These Include
    Sunder:Free Granted Feat to Melee Classes. Causes -4 AC for 1 Minute
    Imp Sunder FEAT Causes -5 to AC also Times for 1 Minute. Does not stack with Sunder
    Eagle Claw Attack Monk Special Ability/Attack -4 AC
    Unbalancing Strike Monk Special Ability/Attack -2 AC
    Ooze Sunder Shroud Weapon Effect Chance to Cause -5 AC
    Destruction: Weapon Effect. Stacks with Sunder. Causes -4 AC for 1 Minute (ALso available on a Mithral Breatplate from Houd of Xoriat)
    Maldroit/Bone Breaking: Causes Dex Damage wich results in the mob losing thier Dex Bonus to AC (IF Any)

REV: .1 7/29/08
    Rev: .2 7/30/08
    Last edited by Impaqt; 07-30-2008 at 11:44 AM.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning

Community Member

The +2 flanking bonus could be called a "circumstance".

Similar to that are fighter, rogue, halfling, monk, and weapon enhancements to hit someone not facing you. (Note that Flanking and Sneak Attack are overlapping non-identical conditions)

Class Based: Monks Gain +1 To hit Every 4 Levels if they are "Centered" (Effectivly increasing their BAB to a 1:1 class)
    That is inaccurate wording. It does increase their BAB to 1:1, but does not give +1 to hit per 4 levels (that would be more powerful than raising BAB)

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    The +2 flanking bonus could be called a "circumstance".

Similar to that are fighter, rogue, halfling, monk, and weapon enhancements to hit someone not facing you. (Note that Flanking and Sneak Attack are overlapping non-identical conditions)

That is inaccurate wording. It does increase their BAB to 1:1, but does not give +1 to hit per 4 levels (that would be more powerful than raising BAB)

Yeah, This is Rev .1

Most off the top of my head.. I'm sure I'll get a lot of help with this one.... Thanks

Please provide me with more accurate Wording on the monk centered bonus.

Definatly gotta add Flanking as wel as Sneak Attack.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

I believe there is also a "Necklace of Contemplation" that drops in Caverns of Korramar now that gives a +1 to hit competence bonus...
    Last edited by Deathseeker; 07-29-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Wouldn't the -4 to hit while moving (negated by Spring Attack/Shot on the Run) also be a Circumstance modifier?

WikiGnome

Maybe you could include oversozed TWF and the penalty for dual-wielding?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Okay, time for the nitpicking, but that's what you posted it for, right?

The bard spell "Focusing Chant" actually provides a +1 Circumstance bonus to hit and skills. As far as I know, that's the only listed circumstance bonus in the game.

Under Morale modifiers, the correct bard song is Inspire Courage. The attack bonus varies from +1(Levels 1-7 with no enhancements) to +7 (Level 14+ Warchanter with all enhancements) to hit. Also, the spell "Good Hope" can also add +2 Morale bonus to attack.

As for TWF, I think that is covered fairly well in numerous other threads, so I don't know if it is worth adding into this one.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Please provide me with more accurate Wording on the monk centered bonus.
    Flurry of Blows provides a monk with +1 BAB per 4 monk levels when wielding monk weapons, which is applied before Divine Power and similar effects. (It's important to distinguish increased BAB from a bonus to hit, because to hit bonuses wouldn't change your attack animation)

Community Member

We have Lots of Definitive Lists around here.. But when looking for a "To Hit" list today I couldnt find it. So I figured I'd Make one.
    If you want to be really definitive, you'd want to include AC debuffs as well, since they achieve exactly the same result from different directions.

Sunder -4
    Imp Sunder -5
    Eagle Claw Attack -4
    Unbalancing Strike -2
    Unbalanced -2
    Ooze Sunder -5
    etc

Updated with Corrections/Additions.

Need some help on the what AC Debuffs stack and what they may stack with.
    Thelanis

Size Modifier
    A size bonus or penalty is derived from a creature's size category.

Currently the only Size modifier in DDO is the +1 to Hit for Halflings.
    The spell Ram's Might grants a +2 SIZE bonus to damage

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    The spell Ram's Might grants a +2 SIZE bonus to damage
    Thank you
    Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Deathseeker View Post
    I believe there is also a "Necklace of Contemplation" that drops in Caverns of Korramar now that gives a +1 to hit competence bonus...
    There's also the trinket from Titan for a +1 competence bonus to hit. The Battle Coin.

And the new Spectral Gloves in Offering of Blood for a +2 competence bonus.

And don't forget about Fighter and Paladin Attack Boosts -- +2 to +5 stacking bonus from those as well.

Good guide though. You got a lot of it.

Also, it'd be interesting to clarify exactly how flanking, sneak attack, and "of backstabbing" weapons and items interact with each other. Here's the game text:

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_Compendium;
    Enhancement: Fighter Flanking Mastery I
    You gain an additional +1 bonus to attack rolls when flanking an enemy, increasing your flanking bonus from the standard +2 to +3.

Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
    You gain a +1 bonus to hit with your sneak attacks.
    So if you're sneak attack-ing something from behind or beside it, do the bonuses stack? I don't think I've ever paid attention to it. Or are you automatically considered to be flanking whenever something is vulnerable to sneak attack?
    Ravensguard, Ghallanda. Leader of two dead guilds and counting
    Averroes: 16w | Manasponge 20bbn | Mistoffelees 12f/6p/2r | Macavity 18p | Deadweight 17n/1f/1r | Bringpotions 14c | Zergling 16s/2p/2r | Toastiness 19s | Is 20m | Toastless 18brd | Toastme 13r/6p/1m

bump for upcoming maintenance
    Last edited by SableShadow; 01-27-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Brenna / Tzanna, The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent on Argo
    "Helping! I'm a helper!" | "Oops!" | "You might wanna ... screw it, just run." | "That was much funnier in my head."

While this section is supposed to be exempt, Thanks for the bump...

anyway, I think this needs some updating anyway with the Korthos stuff.... Isnt there a combo that gives a +1 or +2 Untyped to hit bonus?
    Thelanis

While this section is supposed to be exempt, Thanks for the bump...

anyway, I think this needs some updating anyway with the Korthos stuff.... Isnt there a combo that gives a +1 or +2 Untyped to hit bonus?
    There is also an Insight Bonus to hit now on a pair of Goggles

Aesop
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Community Member

korthos gogles of insighte give a competence bonus the angers set necklace and boots and also another set give a +2 untyped atack bonus that seems to stack with everything

the rogue set offers a stacking +1 atack +2 dmg when sneak atacking