A Word About Account Security
Given the recent news about a number of popular gaming websites and online games suffering security breaches which left their account details exposed, Turbine would like to discuss account security and some steps you can take to secure your account. Account theft is an ever-present issue in the game industry. It’s also a top priority at Turbine - one that we spend significant time and resources to address every day.
On a continual basis, the Turbine fraud team monitors all player reports, network activity, in-game behavior, and other information that may indicate fraudulent activity or account theft. We then investigate and respond in accordance with our policies. To date, all indications are that most compromised accounts have been the result of account information stolen from other gaming websites and online games.
This is possible because many people use the same credentials to log into multiple sites and games. Additionally, other players share their usernames and passwords with people such as roommates, guild members, etc. A smaller percentage of users appear to have fallen victim to keylogging, phishing, or other technology-based attacks. While it is difficult to get to the root cause of every reported incident, there is no data to suggest that account information stored with Turbine is in any way at risk.
Even though we are satisfied that our account system remains secure, we will continue our ongoing efforts to defend our services against known and emerging security threats. In the meantime there are several steps players can take to help protect their accounts against the most common types of account theft:
- Change your password regularly to a new, unique password that you have never used for any other product or website.
- Never share your username and password with anyone else or allow them to log into your account.
- Use a home network firewall at all times and check the exception list regularly for new entries.
- Run antivirus and malware scanning tools on a regular basis with the latest definition files.
- Beware of phishing or spoofing scams that you receive in your mailbox, either in-game or out-of-game. In general, you should avoid clicking links in e-mail you have not requested. If you have any questions about an e-mail or chat you’ve received that claimed to come from Turbine, please contact our Customer Service team at support.turbine.com.
- Lastly, do not purchase in-game currency from gold sellers. Never encourage your friends to purchase gold. The cash market for in-game gold is the driving force behind most account theft. If players did not buy gold, sellers would not need to steal and strip accounts. We investigate and take action on all players that receive gold from gold sellers, up to and including a permanent account suspension.
Your security is important to all of us at Turbine, and we hope this information will help address concerns and misinformation about why account compromises occur. If you have any questions or suggestions, you may contact our Customer Service team at support.turbine.com.
Turbine’s Anti-Fraud Supervisor