PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional greensteel?

stoerm
08-16-2011, 04:36 AM
It seems the established norm is to make Mineral II (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=mineral_1_&altar=3&weapon=greataxe&item=item&craft=1&effects=mineral2_weap_,holy,_acid,__acid) and Lightning II (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=lightning_1_&altar=3&weapon=greataxe&item=item&craft=1&effects=lightning_strike_,holy,_shocking,__shockin g) greensteel weapons, and situationally radiance (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=radiance_1_&altar=3&weapon=rapier&item=item&craft=1&effects=radiance_,holy,_flaming,__flaming) and triple positives (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=positive_1_&altar=3&weapon=maul&item=item&craft=1&effects=great_disr_,holy,_good,__good). Are there other weapon recipes people use for specific cases, or just for lulz?

Related question regarding triple positives: the conventional wisdom seems to mandate creating a maul to break DR/blunt. Would a falchion be much worse? I'm wondering would the situational lack of DR breaking be offset by its massively better crit range ...

Lurzifer
08-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Triple positive are usually the Undead beaters (especially Skeleton/Lich Beaters), therefore Mauls and Warhammers work the best due to highest base damage on Blunt.

Since u cannot crit Undead, a Falchion is the worst choice with the lowest Base damage on a 2-hander GS

SirValentine
08-16-2011, 04:46 AM
It seems the established norm is to make Mineral II (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=mineral_1_&altar=3&weapon=greataxe&item=item&craft=1&effects=mineral2_weap_,holy,_acid,__acid) and Lightning II (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=lightning_1_&altar=3&weapon=greataxe&item=item&craft=1&effects=lightning_strike_,holy,_shocking,__shockin g) greensteel weapons, and situationally radiance (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=radiance_1_&altar=3&weapon=rapier&item=item&craft=1&effects=radiance_,holy,_flaming,__flaming) and triple positives (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=positive_1_&altar=3&weapon=maul&item=item&craft=1&effects=great_disr_,holy,_good,__good). Are there other weapon recipes people use for specific cases, or just for lulz?

I made a Steam II instead of Lightning II, just to be different. Lower average DPS, sure, but plenty good enough for levelling 12 through 19, after which switch to Epic weaponry.

stoerm
08-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Triple positive are usually the Undead beaters (especially Skeleton/Lich Beaters), therefore Mauls and Warhammers work the best due to highest base damage on Blunt.

Since u cannot crit Undead, a Falchion is the worst choice with the lowest Base damage on a 2-hander GS

OK, good answer. Thanks.

stoerm
08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I made a Steam II instead of Lightning II, just to be different. Lower average DPS, sure, but plenty good enough for levelling 12 through 19, after which switch to Epic weaponry.

Like this (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=steam_1_&altar=3&weapon=falchion&item=item&craft=1&effects=steam_,frost,_icy,__good)? Pretty cool, also has good alignment. I was toying with the idea of a simple triple fire (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=fire_1_&altar=3&weapon=falchion&item=item&craft=1&effects=flaming,_flaming,__flaming,incineration_) weapon, since it's cheap.

suszterpatt
08-16-2011, 05:00 AM
I was wondering about the same thing recently. The problem is that some effects that sound good on paper like Disintegration and Enervation are coupled with rather sub-par effects (unholy/fire damage, acid absorption, etc). Sundering Ooze might be good, allowing for Icy blast and Icy burst, but I'd imagine that in epics, anything worth debuffing its AC would easily make a DC 40 Fort save.

stoerm
08-16-2011, 05:19 AM
I was wondering about the same thing recently. The problem is that some effects that sound good on paper like Disintegration and Enervation are coupled with rather sub-par effects (unholy/fire damage, acid absorption, etc). Sundering Ooze might be good, allowing for Icy blast and Icy burst, but I'd imagine that in epics, anything worth debuffing its AC would easily make a DC 40 Fort save.

Yup. Like SirValentine says, they'd probably be more useful against trash in the lower teen levels. Another one I was thinking of was an air guard weapon for offhand. Energy absorption looks pretty neat too, especially fire.

SirValentine
08-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Like this (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=steam_1_&altar=3&weapon=falchion&item=item&craft=1&effects=steam_,frost,_icy,__good)? Pretty cool, also has good alignment.

That's the idea, though I went with Holy/IcyBurst rather than Frost/GoodBurst. And a Greatsword instead of a Falchion, since I wanted something I could reuse when I do a WF FvS Lord Of Blades life in the future.

It worked out pretty well for my intended purpose, and I still whip it out for cold-vulnerable opponents.

krackythehoodedone
08-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Fire & Ice.

Sometimes i see triple fire and ice GS. As the ultimate Anti Ele device.

Plus of course incinerate or freeze.

I made a slightly different version.

Instead of triple fire i went double fire with Enervate.

Additional advantage of dealing evil damage for those few good creatures we have to fight

Instead of triple ice i went double ice with acid and Ooze.

Rather than the Puddings proccing on being hit they proc every time the weapon deals damage.

In my case the weapons are bows but they could be anything.

The Enervate Bow is good but the real surprise package was the Ooze Bow

Built mainly for fun the combo of IPS & manyshot through a mass of targets

Procs Puddings like nobodies business. Effective and fun too

SirValentine
08-16-2011, 07:20 AM
the real surprise package was the Ooze Bow

Built mainly for fun the combo of IPS & manyshot through a mass of targets

Procs Puddings like nobodies business. Effective and fun too

That does sound fun. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

brian14
08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
My AA made a Holy greensteel bow. Then she put Shocking Burst on it. Standard steps toward Lit2, right? Well, instead of dual Lit2 shard I just put Good Blast on that bow. I am not a power gamer; I play to have fun, and the grind involved in making Lit2 shard would have taken fun out of the game for me. It just was not worth the effort.

Another unconventional GS weapon I have is a 30% Healing Amp dagger (10% from Tier 1 and 20% from Tier 2). When I can spare larges, I will make it 45% Healing Amp. The reason it is a dagger is so I could use it in different combinations --with a Superior Devotion shield, or in off-hand with a "real" weapon. Actually it may not be all that unconventional -- how many people have a dedicated healing amp stick?

BoBo2020
08-16-2011, 07:36 AM
If you are swimming in mats, I like this totally worthless item on my monk:

Shocking, Evil Burst, Shocking Blast Returning Shuriken of Soul Trapping (with Destruction clickie)

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?item=item&craft=1&effects=trap_the_soul_,__evil,shock&groups=elemental_blast&forced=vacuum_1_,_shocking&altar=3&weapon=shuriken

Conceptually - really fun - I call it "pointy."

In practice, it does **** damage, has a low fire rate, and is a short distance returner that occasionally scoops up a soul but inevitability leaves the gem on some unreachable platform.

(avoid unholy if you are good aligned to avoid the neg level)

SisAmethyst
08-16-2011, 08:15 AM
As bobo already mentioned with the changes in the Cannith crafting needing soul gems some of the Air + Negative weapons that provide 'Trap the Soul' may get some use. Additionally some casters may like to craft a Concordant Opposition weapon.

Missing_Minds
08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Actually the sundering ooze is "chance on hit" effect, and trust me. It goes off often.

Enervation I'd pass on myself (unless you get it as a guard on dragon touch. That seems to go off a decent amount.)

Disintegrate is a very nice replacement for Lit II. Sure you have to go unholy so you do a d6 or 2d6 less depending on how you make it. My dice hate me so I count that as 1 or 2 points less each swing. Big deal. Pair it on a rouge, and who cares if you aren't beating DR so long as you get your sneak attack.

Some people have been doing Vaccum as well for soul gems. At this exact moment I'd not do that unless you were bored. They seem to only be able to do 20 HD souls max (last I heard). I'm hoping they'll upgrade this ability.

Last thought is that some people who are TWF, make up a tripple pos healing amp weapon for their off hand, or others elemental absorbtion. Such as tripple fire absorber weapon. I knew a WF melee, no UMD, no evasion, pairing that up with the glacial bracers from VoD for the cold shield, could actually solo Enter the Kobold. (This was back before TRs, etc.)

Actually it may not be all that unconventional -- how many people have a dedicated healing amp stick?
Several actually. Healing amp got a lot more prolific within the last year or so between PrEs, race, and new gear.

somerecluse
08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
being a gs addict myself i have several random things... and this is all on one character :/
lit 2 bow
2x min II Khopesh one with 4 insight AC and other with +2 wisdom
2x generic lit II khop
triple fire absorption khopesh
triple cold absorb khop
ooze bow (this one is indeed fun. i play on same server as kracky and when he saw someone else besides himself had one he was in amazement haha. but yes IPS + manyshot = ooze city)
30% healing amp longsword
conc opp boots with major healing lore on them lol (purposely done)
radiance boots
air boots
3x glove displacement clickies (these are all just tier2 though because gloves are cheap)
min II helm
smoke necklace

i might destroy some of these if they ever introduce gs decon with a decent enough return since im mostly done with TRing on this char and a lot of these were only helpful during leveling/solo

Sarisa
08-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Just be careful of the puddings in dispel heavy areas. If they are hit by a Greater Dispel, they can turn on the party.

badbob117
08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Some people have been doing Vaccum as well for soul gems. At this exact moment I'd not do that unless you were bored. They seem to only be able to do 20 HD souls max (last I heard). I'm hoping they'll upgrade this ability.

This is a big misunderstanding about TTS weps from shroud.

VacuumII Shroud weapons do NOT have a HD limit. Only the spell and the souleater have a limit. I have been using trap the soul weapons in epic on just about every trash mob i can find for the last year and a half. They have a save and do not proc often. But i can verify they do not have a HD limit. I have trapped mobs souls with tons of hp in epics before the u9 hp nerf and continue to do so on a regular basis post u9. You can vacuum anything that is not a red or purple named just about. A bit of debuffing helps obviously do to the dc 30 save of the weapon or guard.

VacuumII are a powerful weapon. A lot of players never give it a chance and end up missing out on its awesomeness. I never made my Vacuum II weapon for Soulgems. I made it to insta-kill epic Mobs and am not sorry i did.

Sarisa
08-16-2011, 10:21 AM
This is a big misunderstanding about TTS weps from shroud.

VacuumII Shroud weapons do NOT have a HD limit. Only the spell and the souleater have a limit. I have been using trap the soul weapons in epic on just about every trash mob i can find for the last year and a half. They have a save and do not proc often. But i can verify they do not have a HD limit. I have trapped mobs souls with tons of hp in epics before the u9 hp nerf and continue to do so on a regular basis post u9. You can vacuum anything that is not a red or purple named just about. A bit of debuffing helps obviously do to the dc 30 save of the weapon or guard.

VacuumII are a powerful weapon. A lot of players never give it a chance and end up missing out on its awesomeness. I never made my Vacuum II weapon for Soulgems. I made it to insta-kill epic Mobs and am not sorry i did.

Epic Souleater doesn't have an HD limit either. I've trapped Sobrien in eClaw, and orange named earth and fire elementals in eSmallProblem with it; and they are immune to the spell.

Making one or the other is definitely worth having in your "golf bag" once you have enough spare ingredients.

game5551
08-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Related question regarding triple positives: the conventional wisdom seems to mandate creating a maul to break DR/blunt. Would a falchion be much worse? I'm wondering would the situational lack of DR breaking be offset by its massively better crit range ...

I was wondering that too. However, this is wrong:

From the thread I started asking about trip pos:

On a critical hit, extra burst effects are applied even if the base damage isn't doubled. And, like posted, you get Greater Disruption which is +6d6 per hit plus a 3% chance to either kill a mob under 1000 hp instantly or deal 100 damage if over 1000 hp.

In total, it's 1d10 +9d6 on hit, with an extra +8d6 on critical and an extra +4d6 on vorpal strikes. Then you get a 3% chance to perform a vorpal insta-kill or 100 damage.
Or

Immune to crit essentially means the base damage of the weapon + other base mods will not multiply in case of a crit. The effect damage of bursts and blasts still happens.

My thinking is that 8d6 averages to 24 damage. I am including imp. crit for slashing, but not for blunt as I suspect that is how most builds are.

Falchion crit range 15-20 = 6/20 or 30%
.3*24=7.2 damage per hit.

Maul crit range 20 = 1/20 or 5%
.05*24=1.2

Average base damage
Falchion 2d6=6
Maul 2d8=8

Falchion gains (7.2-1.2=6) 6 average damage from crits, and looses (8-6=2) 2 damage from base weapon damage, resulting in a gain of 4 damage per swing.

Against no DR Falchion wins, but against any blunt DR maul wins. DR blunt seems to be 15+, so against one of those it would come out way behind a maul.

I have never gotten the whole weighted die thing.

Talon_Moonshadow
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM

All are good and have uses.

But Min II has Keen (freeing up a feat) and is a good boss beater for just about every raid boss we have right now.

Lit II has the lighting strike that does a whole lot of damage when it goes off.

Radiance is awesome for Rogues.

Triple Pos is cheap, and has an extra bonus against undead.

That is why they are the most popular.

I was considering either Earth Grab or the Ice (forget name) frozen effect as a CC idea.

Trap the Soul would be useful for crafting, and works against most creatures.

But IMO, they are all good...so if you feel you just want to be different go for it.

(I sacrificed Fire and Acid damage from my Rad and Min II so that I could have matching white flame effects...appearance counts in my book. ;) )

Missing_Minds
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
badbob117 and Sarisa, that is great to hear.

I remember all the talk about vaccum when it first got released. It did seem to have a 20 HD limit, and it would only ever proc once a rest. I never saw anything in notes posted by devs that it got fixed.

suszterpatt
08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Actually the sundering ooze is "chance on hit" effect, and trust me. It goes off often.According to tihocan's planner and DDOWiki, it's a 25% chance to proc with a DC 40 Fort save to negate. Sure, it'll proc almost as often as rapiers/scimitars with IC score a crit, but if you have to wait for the mob to roll a 3- on its save...

uthanak69
08-16-2011, 06:24 PM
My AA made a Holy greensteel bow. Then she put Shocking Burst on it. Standard steps toward Lit2, right? Well, instead of dual Lit2 shard I just put Good Blast on that bow. I am not a power gamer; I play to have fun, and the grind involved in making Lit2 shard would have taken fun out of the game for me. It just was not worth the effort.

Another unconventional GS weapon I have is a 30% Healing Amp dagger (10% from Tier 1 and 20% from Tier 2). When I can spare larges, I will make it 45% Healing Amp. The reason it is a dagger is so I could use it in different combinations --with a Superior Devotion shield, or in off-hand with a "real" weapon. Actually it may not be all that unconventional -- how many people have a dedicated healing amp stick?

I do!
It's my raise clickie :)
Also, it's a Shuriken. Me and some friends thought it would be funny to make GS throwing weapons, so I actually did it LOL!

Indoran
08-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Like this (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=steam_1_&altar=3&weapon=falchion&item=item&craft=1&effects=steam_,frost,_icy,__good)? Pretty cool, also has good alignment. I was toying with the idea of a simple triple fire (http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?forced=fire_1_&altar=3&weapon=falchion&item=item&craft=1&effects=flaming,_flaming,__flaming,incineration_) weapon, since it's cheap.

VERY BAD for end game... lots of things are highly resistant or immune to fire... so its a bad investment in the long run... also dont go for a min2 since you can get a crafter to make a +5 Holy Silver of lawful bane and its going to be a better harry beater and way cheaper

QuantumFX
08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
I still enjoy using my Earth III Khopeshes. While Earthgrab lost it’s auto-crit, it gained +50% damage on stuff you can’t crit. And then there’s the ability to summon the BFF.

PsiGuy
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
I still enjoy using my Earth III Khopeshes. While Earthgrab lost it’s auto-crit, it gained +50% damage on stuff you can’t crit. And then there’s the ability to summon the BFF.

Don't forget earth grabbed also auto back stabs. I used one of these on a Rogue to good effect.

BOgre
08-17-2011, 12:36 AM

My thoughts exactly. Now that I'm getting in range of grinding gs mats I've been looking at the planners, and though LitII looks good, I'm seeing a bunch of other things that look pretty good too. Not really sure why the intense love affair most ppl have with LitII's. (What if next update makes a few tough monster races immune to lightning?) Pretty sure I'll be making at least one VacII. But maybe I'll go with a VacII belt just to be crazy. I'm also liking the idea of the untyped damage from DustII and SteamII... I think a pair of DustII Khops would be bad a**, or a DustII main hand and a SteamII offhand maybe for the healing amp, solid fog and cold absorption...

Yeah, I'm pretty undecided at the moment. Good thing I still have a long ways to go before I have to make the call. :)

I hope it doesn't come down to getting bored with grinding and ending up making whatever I can afford... Is the grind for mats reaaly as bad it sounds?

Jaid314
08-17-2011, 02:29 AM
belt is a high demand slot. you may wish to look at your future plans for gear before you make yourself a greensteel belt.

BOgre
08-17-2011, 03:01 AM
belt is a high demand slot. you may wish to look at your future plans for gear before you make yourself a greensteel belt.

Yeah, I know. And since Fear is one of my greatest weaknesses at the moment I'm loathe to give up my fear immunity belt, unless it's to make a saltII with poison immun/fear immune and a total of +7 will saves (my lowest stat :(). How good is the horrid wilting that comes with that? It's gonna be a real tough call when the time comes. :)

Viisari
08-17-2011, 03:12 AM
But Min II has Keen (freeing up a feat)

I hate it when people say this. Min II only frees up a feat if you use it exclusively which isn't exactly a smart thing to do since there are tons of weapons that are superior to Min II in both specific situations and in overall performance.

Min II is a nice weapon and all but saying it frees up a feat is a misleading statement.

SirValentine
08-17-2011, 03:12 AM
conc opp boots with major healing lore on them lol (purposely done)

Is this odd? I did the same thing, on gloves.

(People seem willing to wear the Gauntlets of Eternity, so why not GS gloves with the same effect plus some?)

sirgog
08-17-2011, 03:19 AM
I hate it when people say this. Min II only frees up a feat if you use it exclusively which isn't exactly a smart thing to do since there are tons of weapons that are superior to Min II in both specific situations and in overall performance.

Min II is a nice weapon and all but saying it frees up a feat is a misleading statement.

It is viable, IMO, to use Min 2's on DR bosses and Epic Kron'zek's Cruelty (post U11) on other foes.

eKC is about the same DPS as a Lit 2 and better To-Hit, so that's viable for feat-starved builds.

Back to unconventional GS's in general though - There's no reason to make a 'pure DPS' Greensteel that isn't one of the usual ones. But some utility weapons can work well. I'm partial to Sundering Ooze as the AC debuff stacks with basically everything.

brian14
08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
It is viable, IMO, to use Min 2's on DR bosses and Epic Kron'zek's Cruelty (post U11) on other foes.
"post U11" Epic Kron'zek's Cruelty has Improved Destruction. Is Improved Destruction still bugged?

In case you don't know, Improved Destruction is supposed to take -8 off the mob's AC, but it removes only -4 -- but stacks with regular Destruction. So to get full -8 effect you need both. My ranger's "can opener" set is Rocksplitter + Improved Destruction short sword.

treefrog1976
08-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Personally, no matter how gimped some might say it is, I'm wanting to try a Balance of Land and Sky wep of some sort.

Tier I - Acid
Tier II - Shocking Burst
Tier III - Frost Blast
Aspect I - Protection +3, Resistance +3, Balance +11
Aspect II - Elemental Mastery (on-hit chance to proc d6 acid, cold, electric, AND/OR fire, separate percentage for each)

I think it would be a fun weapon to try out, just to see what happens... if only it didn't cost so many larges, as I'm very poor. :D

uthanak69
08-20-2011, 01:33 AM
I think it would be a fun weapon to try out, just to see what happens

And that is the most important part.

Now if only everyone could realize that...

KajaGrae
08-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Although they are immune to crits, it will still proc the good burst/blast damage on a critical roll (extra 7d6 per crit roll). Against something like Black Abbot, it would make it the best 2H slasher due to the increased proc rate and due to the fact that all the base weapon damage would get absorbed by DR.

That being said, use a blunt object to bypass DR for better overall damage anyway lol!

AMDarkwolf
08-20-2011, 02:14 AM
VERY BAD for end game... lots of things are highly resistant or immune to fire... so its a bad investment in the long run... also dont go for a min2 since you can get a crafter to make a +5 Holy Silver of lawful bane and its going to be a better harry beater and way cheaper

And of course you have to remember, that there's no demons, aberrations, constructs, or anything else in the game a minII breaks DR for... /sarcasm off

MinII is a great first choice, regardless, because it lets you consolidate many, many different weapons(IE Inventory space) into one nice neat spot with 2 lv 16 stoneskin clickies. With an adamantine ritual(LOL i know, kinda silly) on it, this sucker won't ever take more than 1-2 ticks of dmg(IE Repair cost is a whopping 1/2 a plat after 10 quests)

Although they are immune to crits, it will still proc the good burst/blast damage on a critical roll (extra 7d6 per crit roll). Against something like Black Abbot, it would make it the best 2H slasher due to the increased proc rate and due to the fact that all the base weapon damage would get absorbed by DR.

That being said, use a blunt object to bypass DR for better overall damage anyway lol!

vs abbot I don't see yellow numbers when using a trip holy QS... so i think he has lich DR(Blunt+Magic)

But i think a falchon is 2d4 vs 1d10 of maul? The difference is VERY minor here, so Kaja is quite correct, the added bonus of all those extra 'on crit' proc's would indeed add up to FAR more than what the maul pulls off (Assuming that the falchion will crit 3x as often as the maul does)

Doganpc
08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
I keep coming back to a Greensteel Goggle set that is basically all my immunity's... Deathblock, Poison, Fear, Disease, Blindness all in one accessory allowing me to fill in the rest with better stuff.

If I can bring myself to find 6 more LDS's I'd like to make a VacumII. Min2, Vac2 I shall name them Hunter & Gatherer.

Dogan
They will be repeaters.

AMDarkwolf
08-20-2011, 03:09 AM
I keep coming back to a Greensteel Goggle set that is basically all my immunity's... Deathblock, Poison, Fear, Disease, Blindness all in one accessory allowing me to fill in the rest with better stuff.

If I can bring myself to find 6 more LDS's I'd like to make a VacumII. Min2, Vac2 I shall name them Hunter & Gatherer.

Dogan
They will be repeaters.

If a melee i prefer cloak for the immunity item, since goggles i tend to reserve for tharnes/true seeing.

But if u know a cleric who loads TS, your fine :P

Kmnh
08-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Triple water absorption items are awesome. kiting shadows on tod becomes so easy. Same for the ellies on into the deep :)

Healing amp 10%/something negative/healing amp 33% conc-opp sticks are insanely powerful on a caster. Get healing amp 20% on your ToD ring or on the bracers from hox.

Triple earth picks were common before u9. It's still a useful effect, but not as much as it was

Vellrad
08-20-2011, 03:32 AM
I think that some people forgotten that they can make +9 stat GS weapon for TRs.
This is very hadny.
Also, cold absorbtions for kiting is very useful.

Diib
08-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Personally, no matter how gimped some might say it is, I'm wanting to try a Balance of Land and Sky wep of some sort.

Tier I - Acid
Tier II - Shocking Burst
Tier III - Frost Blast
Aspect I - Protection +3, Resistance +3, Balance +11
Aspect II - Elemental Mastery (on-hit chance to proc d6 acid, cold, electric, AND/OR fire, separate percentage for each)

I think it would be a fun weapon to try out, just to see what happens... if only it didn't cost so many larges, as I'm very poor. :D

I made a balance of land and sky gs as an off hand weapon for my main character and have never looked back. Why? I TR a LOT and it was the best place for me to get an exceptional +2 str at levels 12-17. I went with Shock/Acid Blast/Exceptional Str+2.

The problem is that to get exceptional str+2 off of a greensteel you need tier 3 to be a water or negative effect. Well, negative loses out to everything, so to end str+2 you need triple neg, and those are just not good dps weapons. Unholy means that you have to be neutral to wield it, and almost everything in the game resists unholy damage. So evil was out.

Looking over the other water effects, none of them seemed better than land and sky. I did make an ice prison gs on a different character... but with the low proc rate and lack of damage boost from icy prison, I knew I didn't want that (again). The +7 balance is nice, the resist and deflection bonuses really don't do much as you will have higher from other gear.

Still, the weapon does about 3-4 elemental damage dice per hit, and maybe 5% of the time or so you get the big 6 dice of elemental damage hits. Would I use it as a main weapon? Never. But in an offhand while leveling? It rocks!

treefrog1976
08-20-2011, 09:17 AM
MinII is a great first choice, regardless, because it lets you consolidate many, many different weapons(IE Inventory space) into one nice neat spot with 2 lv 16 stoneskin clickies. With an adamantine ritual(LOL i know, kinda silly) on it, this sucker won't ever take more than 1-2 ticks of dmg(IE Repair cost is a whopping 1/2 a plat after 10 quests)

Are you talking about the full 5 tiers of the ritual, or just one? With the ores and soul gems in high demand again, they're gonna be getting expensive.

If a melee i prefer cloak for the immunity item, since goggles i tend to reserve for tharnes/true seeing.

Yeah, I agree. As a tank, I have my Trip Neg on my Cloak, but I actually have TS on my Dragontouched, so I'm creating some Trip Pos Goggles as Intim Goggles/Raise Clickie (+6 Exceptional Cha Skills)

Triple earth picks were common before u9. It's still a useful effect, but not as much as it was

This was actually going to be made for my FB3 Barb when he got up in level, but then they removed Auto Crit, and it was just too sad...

suszterpatt
08-20-2011, 07:44 PM
This was actually going to be made for my FB3 Barb when he got up in level, but then they removed Auto Crit, and it was just too sad...You want to hear a real sob story? Take my rogue. Used to be fairly evenly spread STR/DEX/INT non-finesse on first life. Crafted a pair of earthgrab heavy picks. Update 5 changed the Assassin passive bonus from +8 Seeker to SA dice. Then U9 got rid of autocrits. Then I TR'd into a DEX/INT finesse build so now my attack bonus sucks with them too.

Actually I can't complain, I still carry them around for the earth ellie clicky. 4 of those per rest lets me clear the entire vale solo. :P

Grenada
08-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Dust2 looks nice for some trash mobs, though i haven't built one myself (not exactly a high priority item ATM)

Machination
08-23-2011, 07:19 AM
My favorite is still Rad II Falchion....out of the Pos III and Min II and Lit II stuff that I've made.

Latest weapon I made was a Unholy/Shocking Burst/Shocking Blast Aspect of Vacuum Falchion. I did it because I'm too lazy to go to caster and trap the soul for gems when I need them, much easier to farm soul gems just slap this puppy on. As a TR running through lvls it is not the best, but in looking to farm soul gems it would be better if I could actually lower to DPS to get mobs to live longer and have trap the soul proc more often. But, its a little late and there it is. Works great one desert or orchard run is 4-8 undead / gnoll / elemental / abberation gems easy. Waste of mats.....maybe......then again I can craft the banes I want when I want....I'm happy.