PDA

View Full Version : Good monk weapons?

Endoor
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I want to maximize my damage.
Some says that handwraps are bad because that you crit at only 20 on the dice and some think they are good.

Which type is prefered and why?
Example. Kamas... Bludgeon.. Handwraps... 2h Staffs and so on...

Also. Can you recommend a weapon I can use at lvl 6, 10 and 15?

My stats (Aint that high lvl...yet)
http://my.ddo.com/character/argonnessen/shakaziz/

Thanks for all advices.

stainer
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I want to maximize my damage.
Some says that handwraps are bad because that you crit at only 20 on the dice and some think they are good.

Which type is prefered and why?
Example. Kamas... Bludgeon.. Handwraps... 2h Staffs and so on...

Also. Can you recommend a weapon I can use at lvl 6, 10 and 15?

My stats (Aint that high lvl...yet)
http://my.ddo.com/character/argonnessen/shakaziz/

Thanks for all advices.

Always use the best handwraps you can get.There are a ton of threads explaining why.

Pintail
05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Pure monk handwraps

Drakos
05-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Handwraps for the win!

Endoor
05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Any advices on good handwraps then on lvl 6, 10 and 15?

Quijonsith
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
At level 6 take the most elemental damage you can get, particularly flaming and shocking bursts and also look for holy for the evil bastards you'll fight (most of what you fight in this game is evil). Also look for the handwraps that are a reward from the catacombs series. They are silver and ghost touch.

Avoid thundering unless you stun enemies alot. Maiming can be fun when you crit along with a good burst weapon, but if you find your self missing just go for a non burst with a higher + value (such as +3 flaming instead of +1 flaming burst).

At level 10 start looking for paralyzers for gianthold. They make a huge difference. Also look for stat damagers on the prefix (weakening and maladroit). Don't get enfeebling or bone breaking as a suffix unless it also has respectively weakening or maladroit (weakening of enfeebling or maladroit of bone breaking). A +1 flaming of enfeebling for example would be vendor trash on hand wraps because of the poor crit profile.

When you get into the upper teens look for 4% and 5% weighted handwraps, preferably with a burst effect but not required. If you find yourself missing with a +1 5% and you can get a +3 4% then get the +3 4%. You have no chance of stunning if you miss so the extra % won't matter. If you can get a burst on a 4% that you can't get on a 5% with the same base + then take the burst 4%. 1 in 25 hits isn't much different than 1 in 20 hits and the burst will do more damage once they're stunned.

You'll want to find greater construct banes for portal in the shroud. You 'can' get vorpal kamas, and they are nice, but I find that with my wieghted once they're stunned they're pretty much dead and i still do damage while they're not being stunned. With my vorpals I don't do much else but wait for a 20.

I'm sure I could think of other suggestions, but I have to get ready for work. Others will post after me with additional suggestions and opinions.

MithrilSoul
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
* handwraps over kamas for everything you will be facing other than zombies. Use kamas against zombies.

* as to what gear to recommend, a lot depends on whether you are fp2 or p2p/VIP.

* if you are p2p/VIP, then you want to go after the Eternal Rest (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Eternal_Rest) handwraps from Catacombs (lvl 3-5 chain), Devotion (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Devotion) handwraps from Deleras Tomb (lvl 5-7 chain), and then down the road the Fernian (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Fernian_Wraps) handwraps from the Ruins of Threnal (lvl 8-10 or so chain) are pretty nice too. The big price is the Devout (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Devout_Handwraps) handwraps from one of the Necro chains, though unlike the three I mentioned previously (which are end rewards and usually a choice 50% of the time), Devout wraps are a rare chest drop and you hear plenty of horror stories of people farming the chain 15+, 20+ times and never getting them to drop

* one good set of kamas for zombies is fine. Sharn Syndicate gives the Nicked kama, which is a really solid performer early on. Otherwise, basically any set of kamas with as large a + as possible and virtually any extra damage type (good/holy/fire/acid/cold/shock/force) will be fine.

If you are fp2, you won't have these named options available to you, so just keep doing quests and keep trying to upgrade your handwraps as you can. You want to aim for one set of Ghost Touch (for wraiths, spectres, etc.), one set of either Holy or Pure Good, and one set of either Acid or Fire handwraps (for dealing with trolls). Eventually you'll want something silver or metalline (for vampires) and something that is metalline AND holy/good for dealing with demons. If you can fill out this shopping list, that will hold you at least through lvl 10 or 12.

JeffreyGator
05-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm a big fan of my +1 frost flaming handwraps of bleeding. They have been great since I made them at 5 and are still good at 9.

Endoor
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Are there any page that shows all handwraps in the game?

Gnorbert
05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Are there any page that shows all handwraps in the game?

Aside from Devout/devotion handwraps all the good handwraps are random generated with prefix/suffix. What kind of a list did you want?

Kyrn
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Pre-6: Devotion, pure good handwraps, elemental handwraps, or +X handwraps (really, almost anything works)
Lv 6: +1 holy handwraps of pure good, ghost touch of pure good (for deleras ghosts)
Lv 7: Linen Handwraps (whee)
Lv 8: Devout Handwraps, force of pure good (force hits everything), anarchic (for marut)
Lv 10: +1 paralyze
Not sure level req: +1 disruption

MithrilSoul
05-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Pre-6: Devotion, pure good handwraps, elemental handwraps, or +X handwraps (really, almost anything works)
Lv 6: +1 holy handwraps of pure good, ghost touch of pure good (for deleras ghosts)
Lv 7: Linen Handwraps (whee)
Lv 8: Devout Handwraps, force of pure good (force hits everything), anarchic (for marut)
Lv 10: +1 paralyze
Not sure level req: +1 disruption

What are linen handwraps? Is that a particular named drop? If so, I've never seen it. If it's not a particular named drop...I've still never seen it. :P Info?

QuantumFX
05-06-2010, 02:26 AM
OP: Every monk weapon only crits on a 20 (or 19-20 if you have the appropriate Improved Crit feat)

The 2 things that make handwraps shine are the fact that when you get all the Two Weapon Fighting Feats and windstance you get the most attacks available you. Second, your unarmed combat damage scales as you level up.

At level 6 you should have at least one set of Holy handwraps.
At level 10 you should be hunting for Metalline of Pure good handwraps and weighted 4-5% handwraps. At this level you should start seeing some specialty wrpas appear on your end rewards list. Damage effect of Greater Bane, Damage Effect of Pure Good and Damage Effect of Weighted 4-5% are going to become your top priority.
At level 15 you want Holy or Elemental Burst of Weighted 5%, Some greater construct banes.

JollySwagMan
05-06-2010, 02:31 AM
What are linen handwraps? Is that a particular named drop? If so, I've never seen it. If it's not a particular named drop...I've still never seen it. :P Info?

Linen Handwraps are gloves from the Deleras Chain, an end reward alongside Devotion. They provide +4 Strength at -1 Dex, have Disease Immunity, and are Min Level 7 Bound to Account.

FauxSho
05-06-2010, 02:34 AM

Linen Handwraps (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Item:Linen_Handwraps) are actually gloves, useful for an early, non-Race Restricted +4 Strength bonus. I think that was a joke that they were included in that list.

Edit: Blast, too slow! :D