PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Do NOT download Lammania

Draccus
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I downloading Lammania requires you to download the Turbine Download Manager which can prevent you from running the LIVE DDO game. The TDM is extremely buggy and more persistant than a virus or spyware program. It starts itself on launch, eats tons of resources, is difficult to close, has no unistall option, and must be manually deleted.

Worst of all, it has no blocked my access to the live DDO servers. My laucher's PLAY button never lights up after the servers get their green checks.

semu
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
what you talking about. i downloaded TDM, got the korthos stuff on, played it. even played live ddo while TDM was downloading full game. nothing changed, everything works for me, both TDM and live ddo.

Tanka
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Reading comprehension FTW. (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2138833&postcount=24)

ArkoHighStar
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
froom sable shadow

Check out the known issues list....if you're running Vista, this is prolly the fix:

"Windows Vista Only - After installing Lamannia via TDM, the live non-TDM DDO client hangs at "Examining Programs." To fix this, please go into the folder you have the live client for DDO installed and run this file:

TurbineRegisterGDF.exe"

Xim
04-08-2009, 10:15 PM
How do I find the folder in vista to change this?

SableShadow
04-08-2009, 10:18 PM
How do I find the folder in vista to change this?

Depends on where you installed your original DDO. My "TurbineRegisterGDF.exe" for the live servers is in:

"C:\Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach"

Memnir
04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
How do I find the folder in vista to change this?Click on the Windows icon in the lower left corner. Select Computer, then double click on Local Disk. Next, open Program Files, open the Turbine folder, then open the Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach folder. Scroll down to TurbineRegisterGDF.exe, and double click.

Problem solved. You may get some odd Vista pop ups.. but just click okay on em and carry on.

I had the same issue, so I know it works.

Draccus
04-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Reading comprehension FTW. (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2138833&postcount=24)

I'm not using Vista. Reading comprehension For the LOSS in your case, I'd guess.

Junts
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
When agreeing to beta-test a piece of software, one should probably expect it not to perform properly .. else one should not beta test it.

Arkat
04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not using Vista. Reading comprehension For the LOSS in your case, I'd guess.

Why? You didn't say you were using XP or anything else. I think it was reasonable for some to assume you were using Vista as I haven't seen anyone else post about having this issue with some other OS besides Vista.

Missing_Minds
04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
do the same in XP.

Find your TurbineRegisterGDF.exe and run it.

Tanka
04-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Why? You didn't say you were using XP or anything else. I think it was reasonable for some to assume you were using Vista as I haven't seen anyone else post about having this issue with some other OS besides Vista.
What Arkat said.

Next time Draccus, post your OS. That way, if you don't fall under the Known Issues bug, people can be quicker to help you out properly.

As it is, you've just wasted other people's time. I'm on XP and have had no issues getting back to the live servers.

Xim
04-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Got it thanks all.

Xim
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I still can't load lamannia

Tanka
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I still can't load lamannia
It may have to download fully before you can load any characters. If you don't have any open slots or any new characters on Korthos, it has to download the whole game first.

Jay203
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
running xp, and mine's working just fine
except the download is gonna take forever....
why the hell is it trying to dl the WHOLE DAM GAME?! T_T

Xim
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I've been at 4.5GB of 4.5GB for at least 2 hours now and still nothing. I don't even know if it's loading?

SableShadow
04-08-2009, 10:46 PM
The TDM is extremely buggy and more persistant than a virus or spyware program. It starts itself on launch, eats tons of resources, is difficult to close, has no unistall option, and must be manually deleted.

Try this first, if you can reach it (not sure from your description):

You can change the settings for startup on launch and how it closes in Options.

If that doesn't work, or doesn't come up for you, bring a bigger hammer:

Deactivate the service? In xp should be Start->Control Panel->Admin->Services....look for two "Turbine..." services. Turn 'em off if they're started, then double click 'em and set the startup type to either "Disabled" or "Manual".

If you've already done this, I apologize...if you haven't tried it yet, this might knock out the resource consumption issue until devs have an uninstaller fix. In vista at least, the TDM appears in windoze uninstaller, but I'm hesitant to recommend uninstalling anything Llama related until we're sure the uninstall won't impact your live DDO install.

ahpook
04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I downloading Lammania requires you to download the Turbine Download Manager which can prevent you from running the LIVE DDO game. The TDM is extremely buggy and more persistant than a virus or spyware program. It starts itself on launch, eats tons of resources, is difficult to close, has no unistall option, and must be manually deleted.

Worst of all, it has no blocked my access to the live DDO servers. My laucher's PLAY button never lights up after the servers get their green checks.

My download is not completing.
My beginner area crashes when I hit the "Beach".

But the regular DDO still runs fine. I am on XP. I don't know what happened in your case but it wouldn't seem to be universal.

But as others have mentioned, don't approach the beta unless you are prepared to reinstall the released version of the game as well. Sh!7 happens.

Kahuna68
04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
It starts itself on launch, eats tons of resources, is difficult to close, has no unistall option, and must be manually deleted.

Draccus
04-08-2009, 11:14 PM

The problem is that I never could get to the options. But I finally got it off my PC and could access DDO again.

The problem is that I never got any options. It would load in the tool tray with the icon. Hovering over it would show the download progress. I could right click and get menus but they wouldn't open anything. I never have actually seen the TDM. I could launch lammania, play Korthos Island (targeting system and the names over objects was VERY irritating...glad it's able to be turned off), and log off.

But logging off left the TDM running with some exe in the background. It left the icon in the middle of the screen but no program was running so I couldn't change any options.

Normal DDO would lock up after server status checks. Rebooting automatically loaded the TDM again and the whole thing started over.

I finally went into Safe Mode, manually deleted the files, and rebooted. That cleared it all up.

I really hope they fix this thing before it goes live or give us a manual download option. In 12 years of MMOs, including beta testing for two of them, I've never seen a worse piece of software.

United
04-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I've been at 4.5GB of 4.5GB for at least 2 hours now and still nothing. I don't even know if it's loading?

yep im stuck here to after 12hrs this blows hardcore. hope mod isnt this bad or ddo is doomed